Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,408 members, 7,901,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:40 AM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28516 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ACM10: 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
Aigbofa:

Are you trying to tell me women do not inherit their father's property in Yorubaland? If that is what you are saying, then you are wrong.

Women inherits some of their father's properties in Igboland too. What point are u trying to make? You and Kobo are making this sound as if Igbo women are under the bondage of culture. It is on record that no tribe in Nigeria practices women equality more than Igbos. No where in the country are women more emancipated than Igboland. Stop making mountain out of a mole hill.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Aug 18, 2012
ACM10:

Women inherits some of their father's properties in Igboland too. What point are u trying to make. You and Kobo are making this sound as if Igbo women are under the bondage of culture. It is on record that no tribe in Nigeria practices women equality more than women. No where in the country are women more emancipated than Igboland. Stop making mountain out of a mole hill.

Please enough of the side attacks . . . Stick to the issue here.

All I have said so far, none of those here has been able to deny the truth of. According to them, women are definitely under the bondage of culture. If you do not know your own culture, then please get with those who do. @Dede1 has more than made it clear that it is true in the culture that women(since the majority of women don't have rich husbands who buy them cars, houses etc like many have suggested husbands do) get nothing from their husbands if no sons are involved, and nothing from their own fathers if they are married or have plans to get married. All these rules according to cultural stipulation hence culture LIMITING the women. What this has to do with @Kobo repeating it, I have no clue since @Kobo didn't make these rules up.

And stop trying to drag other tribes into this. We are on one tribe today and we will get to the other tribes when we create a separate thread for those.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by OneNaira6: 10:25pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Now you're just getting ridiculous with your lies. lmfao wtf?

KoboJ never claimed any tribe on NL until during the election when she came out as an Igbo lady. This is getting ridiculous, bye!

You have to admit, Lagos wedding is ideal because most of Lagosians are more open minded to other cultural practices and other ethnicities.
I agree with Kobo, culture like this should be done away with. Like I often say, monarchy in any Nigerian society should be scrapped.

If you believe She's Igbo then you must be a very gullible person. Someone that cannot spell the actual tribe's name and also a person that's ignorant of the culture but act like she knows all. Also someone that wrote the following terms when asked if she's imo or Igbo, instead of answering "yes or no" instead wrote, "But when I choose to discuss issues that relate to Ibos, and Imolites, I get asked what right I have to ?" and " Surprised about what? That I know of issues that also concern women of ibo decent?". On top that all, a person that's well known to insult Igbo people. Yo I must be Latino then and you must believe alj is every ethnicity he's claimed in all his ids and his main id. Why am I even listening to you? weren't you the same person that told me bittenyend is Chino in another id and he's Igbo. Also the same person that claimed Musiwa is not Yoruba, among other stuff. grin LOL. You believe what you want. Like I said NL claiming would not automatically make the claiming a reality thus in my opinion, a very dumb idea to argue with someone that's Ignorant therefore imo, they are all wasting their damn time.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by optimus30: 9:20am On Aug 19, 2012
@cyril83,don't generalize issues cos our girls no gree sleep with u,they r nw flirts abi,guy zip up
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by optimus30: 9:29am On Aug 19, 2012
cyril83: Igbo people and their greediness, what's the essence of selling out your daughter as if they wil not collect penny from their in law again....can't even dream of marrying an igbo lady, igbo gurls r so selfish and flirt.
don't generalize issues,our girls no gree sleep with u,dat makes them flirts abi,guy zip up
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by phpNET(m): 10:44am On Aug 19, 2012
This is a good move, i am in support of it. Carry on good leaders of imo state.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by uzobanton237: 10:48am On Aug 19, 2012
they shld try and do something on the bride prize issue, so dat i can marry my oge without stress.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkoIle1: 2:39pm On Aug 19, 2012
This is why ibo men mistreat, beat up and kill their wives. ibo women are in cultural chains and bondage, after paying so much and doing so much to acquire them like property, they are free to do what ever they want with them.

when ibo woman returns to her fathers house for refuge and safety after beatings and abuse by her husband, the same culture dictates for the parents to return the girl to the wife beater and abuser or repay very bride price kobo the man paid to acquire the woman in the first place. .....but in most cases, the parents have no choice but to send the girl back because they've spent the money and they don't have anything to cover the bride pride.

Bottom line, ibo women gets the short end of the stick and remain in cultural bondage and limbo.

This is just sad....
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ACM10: 2:56pm On Aug 19, 2012
Eko Ile: This is why ibo men mistreat, beat up and kill their wives. ibo women are in cultural chains and bondage, after paying so much and doing so much to acquire them like property, they are free to do what ever they want with them.

when ibo woman returns to her fathers house for refuge and safety after beatings and abuse by her husband, the same culture dictates for the parents to return the girl to the wife beater and abuser or repay very bride price kobo the man paid to acquire the woman in the first place. .....but in most cases, the parents have no choice but to send the girl back because they've spent the money and they don't have anything to cover the bride pride.

Bottom line, ibo women gets the short end of the stick and remain in cultural bondage and limbo.

This is just sad....

Read the bolded below. . .

ACM10:

Women inherits some of their father's properties in Igboland too. What point are u trying to make? You and Kobo are making this sound as if Igbo women are under the bondage of culture. It is on record that no tribe in Nigeria practices women equality more than Igbos. No where in the country are women more emancipated than Igboland. Stop making mountain out of a mole hill.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by BlackPikiN(m): 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2012
Eko Ile: This is why ibo men mistreat, beat up and kill their wives. ibo women are in cultural chains and bondage, after paying so much and doing so much to acquire them like property, they are free to do what ever they want with them.

This is just sad....

EWU Gambia, do you remember Arowolo Akolade L who buthchered his wife. Goat!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Abagworo(m): 3:13pm On Aug 19, 2012
I hate it when people use a little opportunity to condemn Igbo culture when theirs is not better off. Igbo women are not forced to kneel for any man as a form of greeting. Igbo women are given as much education as the men because Igbos value the female child. No other major ethnic group has the Umuada or Adaship in their culture. Who are the Dora Akunyilis, Oby Ezekwesilis, Okonjo-Iwealas, Kema Chikwes, Eunice Uzor-Kalus of other ethnic groups?

Anybody who does not know about Igbo culture should cease commenting. The cost of wedding and burial is generally high in Nigeria today and is not exclusively an Igbo thing. To hire a wedding hall in Port Harcourt will take you like 600k to 1m unless you want a ridiculous wedding.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkoIle1: 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
ACM10:

Read the bolded below. . .

Read what? That's your opinion, not your cultural reality.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Holyrule(m): 5:35pm On Aug 19, 2012
Rich Dad: This is long overdue.Igbo people and HIGH BRIDE PRICE...chei. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin .

its not igbo people, its mainly Imo state and Abia state, their traditional marriage rites are excessive.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Holyrule(m): 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
cyril83: Igbo people and their greediness, what's the essence of selling out your daughter as if they wil not collect penny from their in law again....can't even dream of marrying an igbo lady, igbo gurls r so selfish and flirt.
may we know you young man? What tribe are you from? Huh. You lack literacy
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Abagworo(m): 6:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
Hennenwenwo

1 double george wrapper(Uku akwa n'abu)

1 blouse

1 pair of shoes

1 head tie(Ichafu)

Hennanwenwo

1 native attire

1 hat

1 pair of shoes

1 staff

Umuokoro

2 cartons of bear

Umuada

2 cartons of malt

Traditional requirements

1 Mkpi Igbo(Goat)

1 chicken

1/4 bag of kolanut

5 alligator pepper

5 kegs of palm wine

8 tubers of yam

Bride price

N500( Otu akpa ego) preferable in coins and in a sac.

It is almost same across Igboland except in some places where you pay for each statement you make or before the bride comes out and when she's leaving.

Whoever is married to an Igbo girl that did more than that list should add.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Abagworo(m): 6:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
There are some parts of Igboland where the groom is required to buy a large box of cloth and jewelry for the bride. This can be negotiable as the box is inspected by your mother inlaw to be and the kins men accept her verdict.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Mirinda2: 12:49pm On Aug 20, 2012
Wisegee: It may seem I am looking for trouble but that is d fact. The issue is not bride price but the fear of d fact that imo state girls don't close their legs. That is what should be addressed not a review of d bride price.
you don ask wede ur mother dey close leg
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2012

This is just sad....

There is one Oba of Akure that easily comes to mind when there is a debate about beating of spouse. I guess it is the cheapness of the Yoruba woman which leads to unspoken acts of marital decadence I witnessed in Yoruba.

I guess human nature can be funny and intrigue at times. It is akin to the same manner with wich human beings treat expensive objects and cheap ones in their possession. It is noted that Igbo men are known to treat their wives with exquisite touch of respect and love.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by tunnytox(m): 2:16pm On Aug 20, 2012
Dede1:

There is one Oba of Akure that easily comes to mind when there is a debate about beating of spouse. I guess it is the cheapness of the Yoruba woman which leads to unspoken acts of marital decadence I witnessed in Yoruba.

I guess human nature can be funny and intrigue at times. It is akin to the same manner with wich human beings treat expensive objects and cheap ones in their possession. It is noted that Igbo men are known to treat their wives with exquisite touch of respect and love.

Wife battering is not limited to a particular tribe, also respect yourself and write Yoruba not Yoruba.
The Oba of Akure you mentioned was deposed by the Akure chiefs as well as the state govt because of this issue, this shows that wife battering us not celebrated in Yorubaland. A Yoruba woman may divorce her husband easily if she's being beaten or for any other reasons, marriage is not by force you don't have to die just because you want to remain married.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by CyberG: 1:21am On Aug 21, 2012
tunnytox:

Wife battering is not limited to a particular tribe, also respect yourself and write Yoruba not Yoruba.
The Oba of Akure you mentioned was deposed by the Akure chiefs as well as the state govt because of this issue, this shows that wife battering us not celebrated in Yorubaland. A Yoruba woman may divorce her husband easily if she's being beaten or for any other reasons, marriage is not by force you don't have to die just because you want to remain married.

LOL...I didn't want to comment but this counter-attack, is a finishing MOVE! You must be good at Mortal Kombat...lol. Now what will Deide got to say again?? undecided grin grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by BlackPikiN(m): 1:15am On Aug 25, 2012
^^^Shut your mouth u this goat!

The Oba who raped a female Corper is still fresh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Who Is The Most Active Minister At The Moment? / You’re The Only African Leader Biden Has Requested To Meet,US Envoy Tells Tinubu / Senators, Reps Collecting Signatures To Impeach Buhari - The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.