Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,961 members, 7,949,279 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 03:40 AM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28639 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by flexdee(m): 5:49am On Aug 18, 2012
Bobbystanley: Before nko...why wount our ladies be expensive...an igbo adage says dat ''ukwu bu ego'' so u must hav ur money to get a good tin

That's a very stup!d adage, an adage that worships money without thinking of d bride welfare is a total nonsense. Keep inflating the price and see if your going to get suitors for ur sisters and aunts in the village.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by flexdee(m): 5:55am On Aug 18, 2012
Bobbystanley:
we dnt need poor people like u to marry our girls ok?

That's why ppl like you always end up as a ritualist cos you want to impress your in law, if you don't need poor ppl to marry ur girls then you need to marry all of em now, mr rich kid that doesn't care about what those gurlz are going through. Mtcheeew
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by dasparrow: 6:16am On Aug 18, 2012
Aigbofa: I didn't realise this was such a problem! Maybe if I should start a finance company to give loans to ibos bridegrooms. If you refuse to pay, I repossess the wifey.

LOL grin

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by vxtr(m): 6:16am On Aug 18, 2012
Danka7777: Imo state brides are not for every man. Below are the marriage plans in the Southeast:

Platinum plan - Imo state (99.99% of their women are educated and sharp) Looking for a woman to wear the pants/trousers in the family... go to Imo.
Gold plan - Enugu state
Silver plan - Abia state (An extension of Imo state)
Bronze plan - Anambra and Ebonyi states. (Very affordable women)
99.9% literate u are joking bro cos i knw many here in lagos. Why shud i pay thru my nose wen i can bleep them for free, i dey mad ? Besides last time i chech, most are very flirtatious. I m not ibo by d way.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Skoopy(m): 8:09am On Aug 18, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?
you must hav problems with either your sight or your understanding.
I am still searching and wondering where you saw gov't on that post.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ajillo: 8:56am On Aug 18, 2012
Imo state under Mbakwe once fixed it at 60NGN. Is this what they want to reduce?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by timtile4real: 9:07am On Aug 18, 2012
Which tribe dei close leg. When we talk we should stop personalizing. wink tongue
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by oladayo042: 9:19am On Aug 18, 2012
LMAO!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by tadysmart(m): 9:35am On Aug 18, 2012
HNosegbe: Its not the duly elected Imo State House of Assembly, is it? So I don't think it's binding. Make una relax. grin

It is even more binding and effective with the council of igwes in Imo state. Don't whether you are Igbo,but if you are you should know that marriage is carried out within community level in Igbo land. Just like in my community,the town union delibrated on the issue two six years ago,and referred it to council of elders which has being rectified and obey by all till this day. All the Igwes parliament need to do is when they arrive at a resolution,the council of elders will return back to their respective communities for rectification and it will be binding on every members of the communities.

Remember!! Igbos are republican in nature,they did practice democracy before,Nigeria get to know what is democracy. It will work effectively.

In addition they should extend it to those of us that are Igbo that want to marry from imo state. it shouldn't be made costly for us.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 18, 2012
I wonder why the chief frm Mbaise didn't say anything cos Mbaise is d chief culprit. My cousin married an Mbaise lady, it was so sad dt at a time, my uncles told my cousin dt they shld abort d marriage plans and go home , bt looking at d babe dt he has given his heart to, he couldn't stop but conclude. 2 other cousins of mine were dating mbaise babes, so they devised a tactics, get her pregnant, their ppl will come begging u to come and marry her. They will reduce everything for u. Dt was how d other 2 guys did.
Its so painful dt u will see an imo lady, living wit a guy and has 5 children for d guy but they r nt married. Its nt as if they don't love each other but the guy doesn't have d means for d exhorbitant list.u see a guy starting life all over again just because he spent all he had on greedy inlaws. Please, they shld work on it asap, it will help d guys a long way.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by kutchs: 9:49am On Aug 18, 2012
berem: I dunno my bride price.that's between my dad and my hubby.in Orlu where I come from,bride price isn't much.it depends on what both in laws agree on.but meeehn! I fear Mbaise and Mbano people.dem go carry gold medal for bride pricing!
Just shut ur mouth anu mpam, my elder brother‘s wife is from Umuowa Orlu and I know how much we were charged in 2006 almost six times what was ‘paid‘ for my elder sister in 2002. Leave Mbaise out of this cos it is a general problem in Igboland and tnk God the Ezes have come in.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Flawlessdiva1(f): 9:58am On Aug 18, 2012
Thank God for this topic; i was given a term paper to write on traditional marriage in your village
2.Write down the marriage rites and list the requirements involved. Say if the list and bride price is different from educated and non educated women
3.Write if bride price promotes marriage stability or does it encourage domestic violence.
4. Is bride price a way of sending women off. I'm from Imo state.

My friend from Ohafia said theirs is #50 amidst other things you will purchase. For the 3rd and 4th question, the house can deliberate on it. Thank you!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by KDULAR: 11:39am On Aug 18, 2012
One of my female friends father decided that he's not taking her daughters marriage ceremony and rites to the village but where he resides, Lagos, because of the attendant demands by the extended family and community , who doesn't know and would not care about the realities of his family development. Also considering the attendant cost on the groom who happens to be a civil servant and her daughter who is a medical doctor though, to travel home to the east with the whole family . He said NO. Any one who considers himself family will come and take his rightful position inthe celebration in Lagos. At the end of the day, it was the people that mattered that came for the wedding ceremony and the cost according to my friend was,so convenient for the two parties (families involved).
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by otokx(m): 11:48am On Aug 18, 2012
KDULAR: One of my female friends father decided that he's not taking her daughters marriage ceremony and rites to the village but where he resides, Lagos, because of the attendant demands by the extended family and community , who doesn't know and would not care about the realities of his family development. Also considering the attendant cost on the groom who happens to be a civil servant and her daughter who is a medical doctor though, to travel home to the east with the whole family . He said NO. Any one who considers himself family will come and take his rightful position inthe celebration in Lagos. At the end of the day, it was the people that mattered that came for the wedding ceremony and the cost according to my friend was,so convenient for the two parties (families involved).

a classic case of where education and commonsense makes the difference
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by nenehenz(f): 1:24pm On Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I love It wen Pple React 2 Issues as dis. 4m tese Comments One Can Clearly C Dat Some do not knw wat D are Talking. D Igbos 4m Time immemorial is an egalitarian Society. Dis Bride Price Is nt Like Its A Lumpsome, But A Couple Of Items Dat D Groom Shld Provide Or Monitize. Which wil In Turn, B Shared among D Bride Uncles, aunts & even Women Married In2 D Kindred. U c Y It Of Much So It Can Go Round. Cos we Blive" na Nwa a Bughi nwa Ofu Onye" & wateva Is Left afta D Sharing D Parent Kip 2 Demselves.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by knowsir: 1:30pm On Aug 18, 2012
I think its a very good idea bride price don dey expensive.as if person won buy dier pikin.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
Theblessed:

[b][size=16pt]Listen, you're living in cuckoo land with regards to Igbo traditions!

The women who are living the realities of this unfair system are informing you of their every day experiences and you're here arguing blindly.

Yes, "Idu Ulo" is an ancient Igbo tradition, and not all clans, hamlets and families are respecting it, in this present time hence, the suffering of these women.

Also, it is an Igbo tradition, for a father when he is alive to allocate any of his village land - I repeat, any of his village land (not those in towns, not shares etc) if he wishes, to his first daughter mainly - whether married or not, and no one dares take it from her - lai, lai, lai!

But these days, the son's would take it from her - is it not our culture and shouldn't we 'Uphold' it?

Now tell me, how many clans, hamlets and families are respecting that, today undecided undecided None, and you are here promoting respect for Igbo traditions, the ones you chose, abi?

We only have to respect those ones that favours you and your clans men, abi??

In that case, all Igbo traditions should now, be reviewed and quick to stop these injustices...!

Imaine, you come here to inform me about our traditions - I am "Ada na Nne and Nna" and you can't tell me about my culture!
[/size][/b]

If you really want to share in the landed property of your father, you should not bother about bride price. You should reject or should have rejected all available suitors so that you will the person to occupy your father’s compound when he has gone to his forbearers. If you have any intention of usurping the position of your male siblings, I should remind you that Ndigbo do not buy land from a woman. Again, the only landed property a woman inherits in Igbo land is through her husband. My people say that only a foolish Ada (the first female child in a family) does not know she is a “stranger”.

There is nothing wrong with Igbo tradition except where it demands sacrifice of ultimate price. I speak authoritatively that such traditional demands have been put rest in Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Abagworo(m): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2012
I'm still mad at the topic because the issue should not be the bride price but the cost of traditional wedding. The list thing is what needs to be looked into. Many people do not collect any bride price but the list could gulp 1.5 million Naira in some places.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Aug 18, 2012

If you really want to share in the landed property of your father, you should not bother about bride price. You should reject or should have rejected all available suitors so that you will the person to occupy your father’s compound when he has gone to his forbearers. If you have any intention of usurping the position of your male siblings, I should remind you that Ndigbo do not buy land from a woman. Again, the only landed property a woman inherits in Igbo land is through her husband. My people say that only a foolish Ada (the first female child in a family) does not know she is a “stranger”.

There is nothing wrong with Igbo tradition except where it demands sacrifice of ultimate price. I speak authoritatively that such traditional demands have been put rest in Igbo land.

It is time that practice ends. Women are also humans.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by 2mch(m): 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
LMAO. Finally some resolution to the high rate of unmarried women. Other tribes women are married very long before Igbo's. If the don't change it, they will soon start selling their women like meat on a hanger. tongue. "See this one, it has big breast and yansh" rotfl.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 2:59pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It is time that practice ends. Women are also humans.

Igbo culture and tradition never remotely insinuate that women are not human beings. There are certain things the culture solely reserved for women in Igbo land. Should those also change because of individual greed? A woman who is married in faraway community would hardly point out the boundary of her father’s landed property in an isolated jungle talk less claiming it.
Again, it is foolhardy to talk of destroying peoples' culture and tradition because of the ticks of the clock.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 3:17pm On Aug 18, 2012
Dede1:
Igbo culture and tradition never remotely insinuate that women are not human beings. There are certain things the culture solely reserved for women in Igbo land. Should those also change because of individual greed? A woman who is married in faraway community would hardly point out the boundary of her father’s landed property in an isolated jungle talk less claiming it.
Again, it is foolhardy to talk of destroying peoples' culture and tradition because of the ticks of the clock.

I am sorry but according to you, the ONLY way a woman can inherit her own father's wealth is if she refused marriage and remained single till he died. But the son's can go ahead, marry whenever they wanted and still get inheritance. Does that sound like an EQUAL deal to you? undecided
Also, in the case of their husband's death, there is no guarantee that the woman will even get her husbands property because in many cases, she still remains a second-class citizen. Plus if she does not have a male child, the chances of her inheriting anything from her husband's side are near nil.

And you say there are certain things culture reserves for woman? Pray tell, what are they? undecided
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by pleep(m): 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2012
Men have to pay money to get married, yet some dumbass interprets this as unfair to women.

lol dumbness will never end. grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by tadysmart(m): 3:27pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry according to you, the ONLY way a woman can inherit her own father's wealth is if she refused marriage and remained single till he died. But the son's can go ahead, marry whenever they wanted and still get inheritance. Does that sound like an EQUAL deal to you? undecided
Also, in the case of their husband's dying, there is no guarantee that the woman will even get her husbands property because in many cases, she still remains a second-class citizen.

Certain things like what does the culture reserve for woman? undecided

Are you saying that our fathers who passed down this tradition to us were stupid?? Btw if a lady want to a share in her fathers property,two options are available
1. Remain single,we call them ''Nwadinniamma'' . They receive equal share with the men.

2.Go for surgery to add the third leg,I assure you, all your father's property will be yours or you have a share.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2012
Actually (jokes apart), i think this is indeed a brilliant idea! These elders realize there is a problem and are willing to legislate in order to combat it, Kudos to you for trying, this is the sort of radical solutions needed to solve the socio-cultural ills in Nigeria
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 3:40pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but according to you, the ONLY way a woman can inherit her own father's wealth is if she refused marriage and remained single till he died. But the son's can go ahead, marry whenever they wanted and still get inheritance. Does that sound like an EQUAL deal to you? undecided
Also, in the case of their husband's death, there is no guarantee that the woman will even get her husbands property because in many cases, she still remains a second-class citizen. Plus if she does not have a male child, the chances of her inheriting anything from her husband's side are near nil.

And you say there are certain things culture reserves for woman? Pray tell, what are they? undecided

Again, if you are able to carry a jar of palm wine, journey to a faraway community, marry a man and bring him to your father’s compound and live with him as husband and wife then you can inherit your father’s compound and landed property. Until you can accomplish the task, the culture and tradition of Igbo land remain rigidly intact.

Nothing is EQUAL in human nature so forgot about the equality talk. I do not know where you are pulling the facts about a woman being denied her proper claim on her husband’s property. Even if the woman does not have a male child, Igbo culture does not encourage such thing.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Aug 18, 2012
Dede1:
Again, if you are able to carry a jar of palm wine, journey to a faraway community, marry a man and bring him to your father’s compound and live with him as husband and wife then you can inherit your father’s compound and landed property. Until you can accomplish the task, the culture and tradition of Igbo land remain rigidly intact.

You and I know it is not that easy. Ofcourse people can carry palm wine jars any distance today, but we know it is not that easy. And we know the sort of taboo attached to such acts to begin with.

Dede1:
Nothing is EQUAL in human nature so forgot about the equality talk. I do not know where you are pulling the facts about a woman being denied her proper claim on her husband’s property. Even if the woman does not have a male child, Igbo culture does not encourage such thing.

Culture was not created by nature, but by humans and so it is not necessarily about human nature but about rules created by elders just like the one's you have today.

Equality talk was to your comment that the males and females are seen as humans in this culture. How can that be true if the rules that apply to one human does not apply to the other on the bases of gender? That there is clear indication that some humans are second-class according to the culture hence unequal. We know the man gets to buy, the man gets to inherit, and the woman gets what? You still haven't answered that question.

Sure, but the culture does not openly discourage it either, so it remains a big problem, so much so that even Educated women find themselves in hell as a result of that culture.

There are about 2 50-something-year-old women still seeking to have male children so they can get some of that wealth they worked hard with their husbands to acquire over the years. The one who is not even a Nigerian, her husband has about 6 boys with other women and so this woman is tortured each day that her hardwork might end up in the hands of women who her husband cheated on her with. Imagine that kind of torture.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You and I know it is not that easy. Ofcourse people can carry palm wine jars any distance today, but we know it is not that easy. And we know the sort of taboo attached to such acts to begin with.

Culture was not created by nature, but by humans and so it is not necessarily about human nature but about rules created by elders just like the one's you have today.

Equality talk was to your comment that the males and females are seen as humans in this culture. How can that be true if the rules that apply to one human does not apply to the other on the bases of gender? That there is clear indication that some humans are second-class according to the culture hence unequal. We know the man gets to buy, the man gets to inherit, and the woman gets what? You still haven't answered that question.

Sure, but the culture does not openly discourage it either, so it remains a big problem, so much so that even Educated women find themselves in hell as a result of that culture.

There are about 2 50-something-year-old women still seeking to have male children so they can get some of that wealth they worked hard with their husbands to acquire over the years. The one who is not even a Nigerian, her husband has about 6 boys with other women and so this woman is tortured each day that her hardwork might end up in the hands of women who her husband cheated on her with. Imagine that kind of torture.

I do not believe in the word, cheat, as it relates to man and woman or husband and wife. In the case of another woman bearing child for a man, I say wherever the child comes, may he or she have a long life. Of course, the properties of the husband go to husband’s surviving sons regardless the status of their mother because the 50-year old with only female children would not take the properties to her grave.

The female ones will in turn get married and enjoy what their husbands inherited from their respective fathers. Let us remove greediness within us, a thing Igbo culture has addressed. I guess you do not want to enjoy the properties your husband inherited from his father and at the same usurp the enjoyment meant for the wife of your brother.

I do not believe it is true culture is not created by nature but human. Nature gave rise to human and environment hence culture. Humans only added certain rules that govern our behaviors. For example, there were man and woman before the talk of inheritance. Maybe due to the need to reproduce our kind which saw off a woman being betrothed to faraway man and migratory dictates of human nature led to the inheritance scenario the Igbo culture mandates.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 4:20pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

mischief maker you have started again, i have never heard that a woman that worked hard, build a house and owned peoperties either by her self or combined with the husband lost those properties because she is a woman , unless those properties dont have documents and the courts no longer function . stop this your mischief its getting annoying.its as simple as abcd, .in cases where the woman could not produce a male child then its something that man and his elders have to discus what to do . in the olden days the man would have married another wife but igbo tradition being fair to women these days the man cant even freely marry another wife without wahala unlike other tradition like hausas and yorubas even oyibos you try so much to copy can still get away with it and i blame igbos taking christianity to the extreme for this.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Aug 18, 2012
Dede1:
I do not believe in the word, cheat, as it relates to man and woman or husband and wife. In the case of another woman bearing child for a man, I say wherever the child comes, may he or she have a long life. Of course, the properties of the husband go to husband’s surviving sons regardless the status of their mother because the 50-year old with only female children would not take the properties to her grave.

The female ones will in turn get married and enjoy what their husbands inherited from their respective fathers. Let us remove greediness within us, a thing Igbo culture has addressed. I guess you do not want enjoy the properties your husband inherited from his father and at the same usurp the enjoyment meant for the wife of your brother.

I do not believe it is true culture is not created by nature but human. Nature gave rise to human and environment hence culture. Humans only added certain rules that govern our behaviors. For example, there were man and woman before the talk of inheritance. Maybe due to need to reproduce our kind which made saw off a woman being betrothed to faraway man and migratory dictates of human nature led to the inheritance scenario the Igbo culture mandates.

You know what? You gave me exactly the sort of response I expected from you(going by what I have learnt of how you analyze most every issue). I am not surprised and goodluck.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bukatyne(f): 4:41pm On Aug 18, 2012
KDULAR: One of my female friends father decided that he's not taking her daughters marriage ceremony and rites to the village but where he resides, Lagos, because of the attendant demands by the extended family and community , who doesn't know and would not care about the realities of his family development. Also considering the attendant cost on the groom who happens to be a civil servant and her daughter who is a medical doctor though, to travel home to the east with the whole family . He said NO. Any one who considers himself family will come and take his rightful position inthe celebration in Lagos. At the end of the day, it was the people that mattered that came for the wedding ceremony and the cost according to my friend was,so convenient for the two parties (families involved).
this is a sensible father who has secured the future of his daughter, made her husband and inlaws respect her and her family and reinforced d values he must have taught her.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by chukxy44(m): 4:41pm On Aug 18, 2012
Story, d price too high, give time, soon dey go dey beg u to come marry for free.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Anointing People At Government House Chapel Owerri (Photos) / Dino Melaye: "Immigration Snatched My Passport, I Snatched It Back" / Ajimobi Greets Rashidi Ladoja (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.