Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,962 members, 7,949,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 04:00 AM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28640 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by cyril83(m): 7:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
Bobbystanley: Before nko...why wount our ladies be expensive...an igbo adage says dat ''ukwu bu ego'' so u must hav ur money to get a good tin
that's why we r hhaving So much criminals among igbos....nothin of such in our tribe

3 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Lordave: 7:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
I'm sure it doesn't affect my sister.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by BlackPikiN(m): 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
cyril83: Igbo people and their greediness, what's the essence of selling out your daughter as if they wil not collect penny from their in law again....can't even dream of marrying an igbo lady, igbo gurls r so selfish and flirt.

No Igbo girl in her right senses will make a mistake to talk to you. Ezi Ofia! Ewu Ekwensu!

3 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Lordave: 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
cyril83: that's why we r hhaving So much criminals among igbos....nothin of such in our tribe
thats why you have got a cheap sister.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 17, 2012
Enough of this. . . . Igbo elders selling their children. How's the SE states any different from the North?

Didn't Yerima buy his 13 years old bride from Egypt?

Even with the new Bride price law, it'll still take years before its implementation on our imo society.

==> Politics?

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Bandy10: 7:46pm On Aug 17, 2012
This is funny.I think there are more pressing things to be done than fixing pride price.One of them is the Osu caste system.Every right thinking people should see how this madness should be stopped. Imo house of rep should expend their energy on something important than fixing of pride price

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Wisegee: 7:50pm On Aug 17, 2012
@ heronic. Legs are meant to be opened sometimes but the way those girls there open it recklessly has given them bad image
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Enough of this. . . . Igbo elders selling their children. How's the SE states any different from the North?

Didn't Yerima buy his 13 years old bride from Egypt?

Even with the new Bride price law, it'll still take years before its implementation on our imo society.

==> Politics?

This means that you don't know Igbo culture/society as well as you think you do.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by cyril83(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2012
Lordave: thats why you have got a cheap sister.
payin 1k less for a responsible cheap sis is far beta than payin 1m for a dog who will later be sent packing,come to say it all,igbo guyz of nowadayz even prefer marryin outside their tribe.....smh

5 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by honeric01(m): 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
Wisegee: @ heronic. Legs are meant to be opened sometimes but the way those girls there open it recklessly has given them bad image

i understand bro, maybe when they start getting married on time, this would be sorted out.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by floridam(m): 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
Na still part of legislation
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by sylve11: 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
I don laff I don tire! Kai! the reasons just too funny! grin grin grin cool
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by sylve11: 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
cyril83: payin 1k less for a responsible cheap sis is far beta than payin 1m for a dog who will later be sent packing,come to say it all,igbo guyz of nowadayz even prefer marryin outside their tribe.....smh

Are u ok? grin grin cool
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ufeolorun(m): 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
Wetin concern them?
Okorocha's comedic way is fast catching on grin cheesy
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ACM10: 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2012
This is a welcome development. Imagine that my uncle spent about N2.5m(not inclusive of white wedding) to marry his wife from Imo. My late granddad wasn't amused by that show of extravagance cos he gave out my cousin who is a medical doctor to an Imo man free-of-charge. This prompted my grandmum to issue a warning to all youths and eligible bachelors in our family and extended family not to marry any girl from Imo. They need to bring sanity to the whole process. Sometimes I pity my Imo sisters who have to employ desperate tactics to hook up on a man.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

This means that you don't know Igbo culture/society as well as you think you do.

List all the bride price from different Igbo states. . . . . shocked shocked shocked

Father gets sth, mama gets something, chief gets something, the village tourist gets something. . . .etc
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 17, 2012
ACM10: This is a welcome development. Imagine that my uncle spent about N2.5m(not inclusive of white wedding) to marry his wife from Imo. My late granddad wasn't amused by that show of extravagance cos he gave out my cousin who is a medical doctor to an Imo man free-of-charge. This prompted my grandmum to issue a warning to all youths and eligible bachelors in our family and extended family not to marry any girl from Imo. They need to bring sanity to the whole process. Sometimes I pity my Imo sisters who have to employ desperate tactics to hook up on a man.

Na wa. . . .
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 17, 2012
Wisegee: It may seem I am looking for trouble but that is d fact. The issue is not bride price but the fear of d fact that imo state girls don't close their legs. That is what should be addressed not a review of d bride price.

U re confirmed sick, who told you that
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 8:04pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

List all the bride price from different Igbo states. . . . . shocked shocked shocked

Father gets sth, mama gets something, chief gets something, the village tourist gets something. . . .etc

In Igbo society, bride prices range from community to community and are traditionally regulated by the elders (or any other governing body found in that locale).

The bride price also depends on the traditional marriage ceremony (which also varies from place to place). Traditionally, the significance of the bride price lies in the [Igbo] belief that a woman was an asset loaned to a man to help him produce a family of his own and the bride price (aka dowry) was the payment used to seal this agreement. That is why (in the olden days) divorce was as simple as requesting the return of a bridge price.

Also, in pre-colonial Igbo society, (in some communities) women were buried in the fatherland (regardless of where their husbands are from), signaling the end of the loan.

Please don't be too quick to say what you're unsure of.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by kumbalo(m): 8:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
Lordave: thats why you have got a cheap sister.
that's why you do all sort of ungodly rubbish ... You shoulb be able to afford Nkechi after the price review. Sir Werey

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

In Igbo society, bride prices range from community to community and are traditionally regulated by the elders (or any other governing body found in that locale).

The bride price also depends on the traditional marriage ceremony (which also varies from place to place). Traditionally, the significance of the bride price lies in the [Igbo] belief that a woman was an asset loaned to a man to help him produce a family of his own and the bride price (aka dowry) was the payment used to seal this agreement.

And that's why I asked you to list the bride prices from each community and from state to state. For a politician to want to do sth about it, it must really be chaotic.

Which man would let his wife walk free after buying her for millions? Na until death do us part be that one o.

PS: This is the 21st century. A woman should marry a man on the date they want to get married, not when they can gather enough money to feed the entire community.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by chigoziec: 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
The are expensive because the are discipline and reliable simple
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Shey this thing look like joke to you.

You see custodians of Imo culture discuss about the inability of their children to get married on time, you call am jokes.

Who you wan make e discuss traditional marriage wey no go be joke to you?

BULL_SHIOT! This is a joke!

Have they dealt with any of the problems that have arisen from the "selling" of these women off to men who consider them property? Does haggling on the price somehow correct the futures that likely await the many more women being pushed into these marriages?

If anything, at this time in our development, this culture should be more symbolic and not a way for people to make money off of these girls without much consideration given to the likely fate that awaits them as a result of their being "sold" off in such a manner.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by honeric01(m): 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Na wa. . . .

how u dey?
Una see why christ embassy full with expired babes? Skyrocketing bride-price

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:
Also, i[b]n pre-colonial Igbo society,[/b] (in some communities) women were buried in the fatherland (regardless of where their husbands are from), signaling the end of the loan.

My calendar says 2012. . . . how about you?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by honeric01(m): 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
chigoziec: The are expensive because the are discipline and reliable simple

if i hear that again, i go tell smart the servicer.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

My calendar says 2012. . . . how about you?

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2012
honeric01:

how u dey?
Una see why christ embassy full with expired babes? Skyrocketing bride-price

Hey sweetie, I dey kampe.
LOL Yet nobody wants expired milk lol.
I understand if career options causes the delay in marriage, but bride price issue is stretching it.

I posted a thread last year about how SE women go to church, paying thousands of nairas to have a pastor pray for them to find a husband lol. Lemme try to find it sef.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Whobedatte(m): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Bobbystanley: Before nko...why wount our ladies be expensive...an igbo adage says dat ''ukwu bu ego'' so u must hav ur money to get a good tin
until ur ladies go reach menopause, then they wont believe there are two worlds..
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ADEBRIGGS: 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
now they r talking...
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 8:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

And that's why I asked you to list the bride prices from each community and from state to state. For a politician to want to do sth about it, it must really be chaotic.

Which man would let his wife walk free after buying her for millions? Na until death do us part be that one o.

PS: This is the 21st century. A woman should marry a man on the date they want to get married, not
when they can gather enough money to feed the entire community.

It's mentalities like this that turn tradition upside down. The Igbo marriage ceremonies are elaborate because (in general Igbo culture) marriage is seen as a ceremony that one should partake in only when stable enough to meet the requirements.

Despite the bride price, divorce is official once the woman's bride price is returned. If a man's wife returns to her father but her father doesn't return the bride price, then the father is at fault. If a man takes a woman without paying her bride price, they aren't considered married.

Besides, the bride prices in most areas can be negotiated.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ayox2003: 8:24pm On Aug 17, 2012
chigoziec: The are expensive because they are discipline and reliable simple

angry angry angry

In your dreams.

Frawzey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Dino Melaye: "Immigration Snatched My Passport, I Snatched It Back" / Ajimobi Greets Rashidi Ladoja (Photo) / FG Says Power Generation Is Up To 7000MW, Nigerians Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.