Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,461 members, 7,917,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:40 AM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28573 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:
You're being ignorant on this issue. No "village chief" will instruct you to do anything. If you want to marry an Igbo girl, then the marital traditions of her community must be respected and followed.

There is no Igbo man on this earth that would hand away his daughter to a man without undergoing the proper traditional marriage procedures.

When in Rome do as the Romans do; when in the Igbo country, do as the Igbo do. You can't come to Igboland and turn Igbo customs and traditions upside down because you don't like it.

I'm not turning 'Igbo customs and traditions upside down' - I'm just advocating for a change that would make women have more self-respect, and enable the groom to 'respect' the bride. If we want to advocate for our culture(s) to be in its pure form - then we've to go back to the days when yam, kolanut, and farm products were used for bride price, not the millions of naira they're ripping people off nowadays... I definitely would pay with yam, palm oil, and kolanuts - since that was the REAL BRIDE PRICE when our ancestors were on this planet!!! The gods love yam, palm oil, palm wine, kolanut etc - not money!

The culture itself has been manipulated by greedy people - and it's either we take it back to the way our ancestors did their thing - or do away with it, period..

Let's take it back to our ancestors!! cool

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Not 5 mil in cash, but 5 mil in what is required and some cash amounts are also required, no?

It depends on the type of ceremony that you want to do. If you want a high-end ceremony, then it will be expensive. If you want a quiet ceremony, it will be low.

The items that are required for he actual marriage ceremony are at the discretion of the male leaders of the extended family. The list is composed with the financial capability of the suitor in mind.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:05pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

I'm not turning 'Igbo customs and traditions upside down' - I'm just advocating for a change that would make women have more self-respect, and enable the groom to 'respect' the bride. If we want to advocate for our culture(s) to be in its pure form - then we've to go back to the days when yam, kolanut, and farm products were used for bride price, not the millions of naira they're ripping people off nowadays... I definitely would pay with yam, palm oil, and kolanuts - since that was the REAL BRIDE PRICE when our ancestors were on this planet!!! The gods love yam, palm oil, palm wine, kolanut etc - not money!

The culture itself has been manipulated by greedy people - and it's either we take it back to the way our ancestors did their thing - or do away with it, period..

Let's take it back to our ancestors!! cool

Yams, kola nuts, and palm oil were never used as bride price payments. Bride prices were always in currency (whether cowries or manilas).

Those things that you listed are items that are required for the traditional marriage ceremony itself.

However, like I said earlier, I support he reduction of ridiculously high dowries.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

It depends on the type of ceremony that you want to do. If you want a high-end ceremony, then it will be expensive. If you want a quiet ceremony, it will be low.

The items that are required for he actual marriage ceremony are at the discretion of the male leaders of the extended family. The list is composed with the financial capability of the suitor in mind.

From what I've been seeing on them list, ceremony has nothing to do with it. It's basically a list of what each people concerned will be given.

But correct me if I'm wrong. Post 3 lists from your community make we see am.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by cyril83(m): 9:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekukemania: I will disown any relative that marries a yoruba.

So keep off this thread. Let the Igbo's discuss their own issue.
marryin a yoruba is one of d best you'll ever achieve wen it comes to choosing a partner not wayward daughters of urs that know no bound wen it comes to diiiiiiik and also make their hubby develop early age stroke
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by chreldb(m): 9:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?

point of correction to you and whom it may concern it is not the Imo state house of assembly(govt)that deliberated on the issue but the traditional parliament whose ancestors made those traditional/costumary laws. Please take note see quotation below

Citing the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in their communities, the Tradit[b]ional Parliament in Nigeria’s eastern state of Imo, Owerri, passed i[/b]ts first resolution on the harmonization of bride price in all communities in the state.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 9:10pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . wrong. Tradition is OPTIONAL and implemented whenever we choose to. That is how many of those who are able to switch traditions do so. It is not mandatory and does not rule your life or anyones.

And what you said about Ibo men handing over their daughters, that is a lie. I know of many women who have safely wed in various countries without needing to go through the traditional wiggle.
haha too much lagos and ohio is affecting you.however like i said earlier it is the women from the affected places to liberate themselves

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 17, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?

when u r so much in a hurry to post a comment here then u end up embarrassing urlf. so traditional rulers are nw gvmnt officials to u abi?
shocked
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 9:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:
Yams, kola nuts, and palm oil were never used as bride price payments. Bride prices were always in currency (whether cowries or manilas).

Those things that you listed are items that are required for the traditional marriage ceremony itself.

However, like I said earlier, I support he reduction of ridiculously high dowries.

Our ancestors started using cowries and manilas in the 18th/19th century - and people got married way before that. Our culture(s) didn't start with arrival of the whiteman - we've been on this planet for more than 50,000years. So, we need to go back to our roots (950A.D is alright lol), and stop this greedy form of capitalism, we have polluted our culture(s) with..

TBH, modern day 'traditional marriage' is a sham and display of wealth (either borrowed or owned).. I don't know why we can't allow people to get married in peace without all the extras... In today's world, people need to be paid to get married - not sucking them dry because they want to get married...
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by dayokanu(m): 9:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
TIme to storm Mbaise
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80: haha too much lagos and ohio is affecting you.however like i said earlier it is the women from the affected places to liberate themselves

It has nothing to do with Lagos/Ohio. If you have something against any specific thing I said. Address it.

On Women liberating themselves, are you being serious? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided So it is OK for the leaders to impose a price on them, but when it comes to fighting issues that come up as a result, the women are on their own? undecided undecided undecided undecided Really?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nightshift(m): 9:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ndi ebe 'ke anyi ole ihe mega? Onwu etu unu n'eme? Ala Owerri a di la nma! Apama, Para m' aparaa!!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
imo house of rep? are u serious, and besides were did u get that from? so ur village chiefs are ur state house of assembly members that makes the laws in ur state abi?

im yet to figure out were u read that it was an issue deliberated upon by imo state house of assembly members abi ur imo house of rep. na wa 4 some of una 4hia o. pls its bride price and not pride price. u self, i tire 4u nw.

Bandy10: This is funny.I think there are more pressing things to be done than fixing pride price.One of them is the Osu caste system.Every right thinking people should see how this madness should be stopped. Imo house of rep should expend their energy on something important than fixing of pride price
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by tinkinjo: 9:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
..." a joke carried too far"...
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
@ bittyend why r you sweating over bride price , pls cut your coat according to your size.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha: @ bittyend why r you sweating over bride price , pls cut your coat according to your size.

I'm not sweating over it, but I don't like when certain people rip people off - all in the name of 'tradition' and 'culture'. I'm not doing no traditional marriage when I get married, anyway - and I tell every naija girl I go out with. grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . wrong. Tradition is OPTIONAL and implemented whenever we choose to. That is how many of those who are able to switch traditions do so. It is not mandatory and does not rule your life or anyones.

And what you said about Ibo men handing over their daughters, that is a lie. I know of many women who have safely wed in various countries without needing to go through the traditional wiggle.

"um . . . wrong. Tradition is OPTIONAL and implemented whenever we choose to"

That's what you think; it's pure Western ideology. Not everyone thinks like this.

As for those Igbo women, that's exactly why they're living abroad and not in their communities. Such a thing is considered an abomination. However, that's what happens when the West teaches people that European wedding ceremonies are superior to African ones.

Oh well. Hooray for "liberated thinking".

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ACM10: 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha: @ bittyend why r you sweating over bride price , pls cut your coat according to your size.

Ekwy where have u been to? I miss u. Welcome back. cool
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:32pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

So you're saying the ability to pay bride price guarantees a prosperous future or a sustainable marriage?

This is what I got from your previous statement about making sure the man is financially secure.

I've yet to meet one person that can guarantee what tomorrow will bring. High unnecessary bride prices only increases the likelihood of a "Bought-Sold" relationship in such marriage.

I never said anything like this. Maybe you should re-analyze what I wrote.

Ileke-IdI:

From what I've been seeing on them list, ceremony has nothing to do with it. It's basically a list of what each people concerned will be given.

But correct me if I'm wrong. Post 3 lists from your community make we see am.

That's the essence of the ceremony; the blood of tradition. Embrace it or find your own way.

Besides if I may ask, why are you sweating over this issue? Or are you planning on marrying an Igbo wife?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 9:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

"um . . . wrong. Tradition is OPTIONAL and implemented whenever we choose to"

That's what you think; it's pure Western ideology. Not everyone thinks like this.

As for those Igbo women, that's exactly why they're living abroad and not in their communities. Such a thing is considered an abomination. However, that's what happens when the West teaches people that European wedding ceremonies are superior to African ones.

Oh well. Hooray for "liberated thinking".

I know what I have told you seems to go against what you have chosen to believe, but unfortunately dear, it is true. Tradition is optional and implemented whenever we chose to. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the west. I grew up watching so called traditionalists change their take on it year after and wondered if I was seeing things. One thing is for sure, it is fluid, and so changes with the times as we all see today that it is again about to.

I never said anything of the Ibo women living abroad. Please open your eyes. There are more and more Nigerians who are breaking away from the mentality you cling to there. They live amongst you right there in Nigeria. It has nothing to do with liberated thinking but more to do with realizing that tradition is not meant to enslave but there for those who choose to have it.

Reading your post, I cannot help but think you have this SACRED place you have built for tradition there in your mind. That is great and all but don't you SEE that not all persons hold that view you do?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:42pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

Our ancestors started using cowries and manilas in the 18th/19th century - and people got married way before that. Our culture(s) didn't start with arrival of the whiteman - we've been on this planet for more than 50,000years. So, we need to go back to our roots (950A.D is alright lol), and stop this greedy form of capitalism, we have polluted our culture(s) with..

TBH, modern day 'traditional marriage' is a sham and display of wealth (either borrowed or owned).. I don't know why we can't allow people to get married in peace without all the extras... In today's world, people need to be paid to get married - not sucking them dry because they want to get married...

Prior to the arrival of the Europeans, manillas were in wide use throughout West Africa. The names for manilla in Igbo are Okpogho and Ikpeghe; In Edo (I think) they are called Okpoho; in Efik, Okpogho.

Here's a picture of a 9th century Igbo manilla: http://ukpuru..com/2011/05/scabbard-and-other-igbo-ukwu-items.html?m=1

However, the widespread use of cowries was introduced by the Europeans.

If you can't marry an Igbo girl properly, then don't. It's not by force.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bright007(f): 9:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
Here is an example of å recent list given to å guy who wants to marry from d east..

(1)Brief case(gold plated)
(2)Engagement bible(customised)
(3)Engagement ring(worth $2000)
(4)Å set of jewellery(worth $5000)
(5)Italian shoes(36 pairs)
(6)Toyota Corolla(2010 model)
(7)Apple laptop (4)
(.coolÅ set of living room furniture(worth $12000)
(9)Red wine (35 cartons)
(10)London wax print (35 pieces)
(11)Iphone(4) or blackberry=8
(12)Plasma tv (62 inches)
(13)Mother-in-law's money=$5000
(14)Father-in-law's money=$
(15)Brother-in-law's money=$3500.
***when the guy saw d list......

The guy fainted...

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nightshift(m): 9:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
ACM10:

Ekwy where have u been to? I miss u. Welcome back. cool
Ekwy o bu omalicha nwa?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
bright007: Here is an example of å recent list given to å guy who wants to marry from d east..

(7)Apple laptop (4)
(coolÅ set of living room furniture(worth $12000)
(9)Red wine (35 cartons)
(11)Iphone(4) or blackberry(cool

The guy fainted...

Oh boy . . . na slave im dey buy?

But on a serious note, I will never forget the day I heard our neighbor boasting of how he owned his wife, how he payed so much for her, and so no one should try to stop him beating her. I was about 8 years old then and I went numb, cause that was my first taste of what slavery was.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
BlackPikiN: Imo State Parliament To Fix A Common Bride Price For All Indigenes

Citing the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in their communities, the Traditional Parliament in Nigeria’s eastern state of Imo, Owerri, passed its first resolution on the harmonization of bride price in all communities in the state.

The motion, entitled, “Motion on the Harmonization of the Marriage Institution in Imo”, was moved by Eze Duru Okwudor and Eze Obi II of Okwudor in Njaba Local Government Area alongside other traditional rulers.

Okwudor identified high pride price and difficulties involved in the process of traditional marriage as some of the reasons for a change in the system.

He noted that the behaviour of some parents and community leaders on the issue of bride price during marriage was a source of worry to young adults.

“What obtains in the marriage institution today leaves much to be desired. It is as if the parents want to sell their daughters. If this is allowed to continue it will translate into a big problem to our youths who want to marry,” he said.

Okwudor, therefore, listed the process by which marriage would be made less cumbersome and cheaper to both the family of the would-be bride and the bridegroom. The motion was seconded by Eze Ekperechukwu of Obowo.

However, Eze Ekwueme Ekwueme, the Ochia of Ohaji Ebgema, opposed the motion and urged the parliament to allow communities to decide on the bride price.

He said it would be out of place for the traditional rulers to decide for parents, who had spent much in training their daughters, on how much to collect for bride price.

Another motion tabled before the parliament was the motion on “The Presentation and Sharing of Kola nuts in Imo.”

The motion was introduced by Eze Okwara Echi from Nkwere Local Government Area and supported by three other traditional rulers.

Then the issue of speaking of Igbo Language compulsory in the state schools was raised.

Reacting, the Chairman of Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Samuel Ohiri, noted that the motion on kola nuts would be deliberated upon by a committee that would be formed by the parliament while that on the speaking of Igbo Language would be reintroduced.

The highpoint of the parliament sitting was the formalization and conferment of the title of Owelle Gburugburu of Igbo land (Traditional Prime Minister of NdiIgbo) on Gov. Rochas Okorocha.

The motion for the conferment of the title was moved by Eze Obiefula, Ezedibia of Nekede, and seconded by Eze Onwuchiribeya Mmerenni of Umudibia in Owerri West Local Government Area.

They noted that the governor deserved the title considering his leadership qualities and achievements in the state in his one year in office.

Responding, the Governor thanked the traditional rulers for the award, saying that the title signified “a big journey that has just started.”

He pledged his unalloyed support to the success of the traditional parliament.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/08/17/imo-state-parliament-fix-common-bride-price-indigenes/

I never envisioned that one day a situation described by this thread will come to pass but thanks to moronic Rochas Okorochas who assembled these panhandlers who called themselves eze to indulge in a such despicable pranks.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by mbulela: 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2012
with all his fraudulent tendencies, Ohakim is laughing his heart out.
Imo State are on a very long thing.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ACM10: 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2012
bright007: Here is an example of å recent list given to å guy who wants to marry from d east..

(7)Apple laptop (4)
(coolÅ set of living room furniture(worth $12000)
(9)Red wine (35 cartons)
(11)Iphone(4) or blackberry(cool

The guy fainted...

You dey mad. grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I know what I have told you seems to go against what you have chosen to believe, but unfortunately dear, it is true. Tradition is optional and implemented whenever we chose to. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the west. I grew up watching so called traditionalists change their take on it year after and wondered if I was seeing things. One thing is for sure, it is fluid, and so changes with the times as we all see today that it is again about to.

I never said anything of the Ibo women living abroad. Please open your eyes. There are more and more Nigerians who are breaking away from the mentality you cling to there. They live amongst you right there in Nigeria. It has nothing to do with liberated thinking but more to do with realizing that tradition is not meant to enslave but there for those who choose to have it.

Reading your post, I cannot help but think you have this SACRED place you have built for tradition there in your mind. That is great and all but don't you SEE that not all persons hold that view you do?

I've realized that this whole argument is just based on your own personal convictions. It's people that have an inferiority complex that say such things.

I don't know why indigenous African ceremonies are now considered "optional" (to some) but European ones are a must.

Chai, bekee emeela anyi ihe. Europeans have done Africa dirty. cry

You're right. I have built a sacred place in my mind for my culture/tradition because it is what defines me.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 9:51pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It has nothing to do with Lagos/Ohio. If you have something against any specific thing I said. Address it.

On Women liberating themselves, are you being serious? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided So it is OK for the leaders to impose a price on them, but when it comes to fighting issues that come up as a result, the women are on their own? undecided undecided undecided undecided Really?
look women of these days have to be one on the forefronet.like i said earlier i had cousins who used to make mouth about such things like 'i am not cheap' or like ' some other guy paid the bride price did so so why can't you' anthem.well time for those who are not yet married to counter thios rubbish.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

I've realized that this whole argument is just based on your own personal convictions. It's people that have an inferiority complex that say such things.

I don't know why indigenous African ceremonies are now considered "optional" (to some) but European ones are a must.

Chai, bekee emeela anyi ihe. Europeans have done Africa dirty. cry

You're right. I have built a sacred place in my mind for my culture/tradition because it is what defines me.

Sorry, NO it is not based on my personal conviction. You are trying to make absolute statements for EVERYONE IBO, and I am saying you cannot do that because there are examples, at home and abroad of Ibos ignoring these so called traditions of yours and choosing for themselves a different path. You say it is abomination, I say so what . . . they ignored your rules and it means nothing to them that they did because your rules meant little much to them I suppose.

Stop bringing Europe and Pakistan into the discussion. We are talking of Nigerians here.

And great that it DEFINES you but you don't get to then IMPOSE that on everyone else. It fortunately is not in your power to do that. People have a right to choose as you have chosen, and so if they do not want what tradition has to offer, that is good too.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
mbulela: with all his fraudulent tendencies, Ohakim is laughing his heart out.
Imo State are on a very long thing.

Bros, can you imagine this arrant nonsense.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 9:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80: look women of these days have to be one on the forefronet.like i said earlier i had cousins who used to make mouth about such things like 'i am not cheap' or like ' some other guy paid the bride price did so so why can't you' anthem.well time for those who are not yet married to counter thios rubbish.

Please stop will that bull_shiot line. Again, we are talking of issues that result from these PRICES placed on the heads of the women. Let's get back to that.

How many of those who set these prices, get a share of the loot, will be there to save these women when the shiot hits the fan? How many of them will also care about these women when a man says things like "I paid a heavy price for you, so I believe I deserve more from you" ? How many? When are we going to get to tackling that problem? Ofcourse those who have yet to taste the possible CONSEQUENCES of this act will make such statements as the one your cousin makes there. However, we are talking here of those who have ALREADY been paid for and are now living also as slaves as a result? And If you tell me you do not know what I am hinting at here, then I will say we end this conversation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How 25 Senators Can Impeach Saraki By Sunusi Musa / Pictures Of Nigeria Police Week / Emir Of Kano, Dangote Visit Saraki Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.