Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,558 members, 7,888,788 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:16 PM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28491 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 9:58pm On Aug 17, 2012
mbulela: with all his fraudulent tendencies, Ohakim is laughing his heart out.
Imo State are on a very long thing.

so you think ohakim cared about anything about imo state?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 10:00pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Sorry, NO it is not based on my personal conviction. You are trying to make absolute statements for EVERYONE IBO, and I am saying you cannot do that because there are examples, at home and abroad of Ibos ignoring these so called traditions of yours and choosing for themselves a different path. You say it is abomination, I say so what . . . they ignored your rules and it means nothing to them that they did because your rules meant little much to them I suppose.

Stop bringing Europe and Pakistan into the discussion. We are talking of Nigerians here.

And great that it DEFINES you but you don't get to then IMPOSE that on everyone else. It fortunately is not in your power to do that. People have a right to choose as you have chosen, and so if they do not want what tradition has to offer, that is good too.

Let me first start by telling you that I'm not "Ibo". It's really irritating to see that you're purposely writing that even though you know it's not the correct spelling.

Secondly, all you're saying is a result of Western thinking.

Look at it this way...

Prior to Europeans, Africans married peacefully and respected their traditions. Young men labored determinedly to pay their wives' bride prices in order to prove themselves as capable of maintaining their households.

After the coming of Europeans, Africans say that their traditions are "evil and optional", however the superior traditions of the Europeans are necessary and have "enlightened us from our evil ways".

Those people that you mentioned will discover the consequences of their actions when they decide to come back to their communities (that is if they will ever return).

M na akwara umu Africa ibem akwa ariri maka bekee eduvuola wo uzo. I weep bitterly for my fellow Africans because the Europeans have led them astray. cry

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
Imo state brides are not for every man. Below are the marriage plans in the Southeast:

Platinum plan - Imo state (99.99% of their women are educated and sharp) Looking for a woman to wear the pants/trousers in the family... go to Imo.
Gold plan - Enugu state
Silver plan - Abia state (An extension of Imo state)
Bronze plan - Anambra and Ebonyi states. (Very affordable women)

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by nifemi01(m): 10:02pm On Aug 17, 2012
Next u start paying taxes on bride price n eventually they will start deciding who marries who.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 10:02pm On Aug 17, 2012
It is diabolically idiotic for any person to remotely insinuate that bride price is the reason behind the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in Nigeria in general or Imo State in particular. The major issue is lack of jobs. An empty stomach does not think about marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend: To be honest, if I ever get married to an Igbo girl - I won't pay a dime... Why should I pay to get married? GTFOH with that bs - some of the stone age bs in our cultures need to thrown in the bin...
why stress yourself to start with , am sure your comfortable with the baby mam lifestyle there in the u.k.is it a must to marry an igbo woman undecided

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dede1: It is diabolically idiotic for any person to remotely insinuate that bride price is the reason behind the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in Nigeria in general or Imo State in particular. The major issue is lack of jobs. An empty stomach does not think of marriage.

you have no idea what you you are saying.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 10:05pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

Let me first start by telling you that I'm not "Ibo". It's really irritating to see that you're purposely writing that even though you know it's not the correct spelling.

Secondly, all you're saying is a result of Western thinking.

Look at it this way...

Prior to Europeans, Africans married peacefully and respected their traditions. Young men labored determinedly to pay their wives' bride prices in order to prove themselves as capable of maintaining their households.

After the coming of Europeans, Africans say that their traditions are "evil and optional", however the superior traditions of the Europeans are necessary and have "enlightened us from our evil ways".

I did not ask you for stories, I am simply talking of what is happening today. Again . . .
Kobojunkie:

Sorry, NO it is not based on my personal conviction. You are trying to make absolute statements for EVERYONE IBO, and I am saying you cannot do that because there are examples, at home and abroad of Ibos ignoring these so called traditions of yours and choosing for themselves a different path. You say it is abomination, I say so what . . . they ignored your rules and it means nothing to them that they did because your rules meant little much to them I suppose.

Stop bringing Europe and Pakistan into the discussion. We are talking of Nigerians here.

And great that it DEFINES you but you don't get to then IMPOSE that on everyone else. It fortunately is not in your power to do that. People have a right to choose as you have chosen, and so if they do not want what tradition has to offer, that is good too.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 10:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
avalontony: omogi!!!? bride price for imo na something else o!!!thats why i no d follow imo babes, but anambra babes scarce o!!!! na only imo me d see o!!! abeg make them reduce price.
i thought am the only one that have noticed that, anambra women are really scarce except in enugu shaa, imo girls full everywhere.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nightshift(m): 10:07pm On Aug 17, 2012
Well, well, I guess those village chiefs are trying to make it easier for umuimo to stop wasting their money on 'Executive Garden' girls, and Amajieke joints. A relative of mine was last year basically creamed-off in Mbaise by his inlaws - they even demaded for a bag of white cord stockfish!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 10:07pm On Aug 17, 2012
Nightshift: Ekwy o bu omalicha nwa?

Dalu bros grin grin grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

I'm not sweating over it, but I don't like when certain people rip people off - all in the name of 'tradition' and 'culture'. I'm not doing no traditional marriage when I get married, anyway - and I tell every naija girl I go out with. grin

Then go where u won’t be short changed QED…..it’s as simple as an azonto dance.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by DonaldGenes(m): 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
PointB: Reduction in bride price.

PRO:
- More women getting married.

CON
- Less emphasis on career pursuit for women, as family keeping will become a priority.
wetin concern career with this,it doesn't stop women from pursuing their carerr jor
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by kutchs: 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
cyril83: marryin a yoruba is one of d best you'll ever achieve wen it comes to choosing a partner not wayward daughters of urs that know no bound wen it comes to diiiiiiik and also make their hubby develop early age stroke
Which of those dirty things do you want me to marry, is it Bukky, Teni or Lola? I dont want a dirty thing to sit like a humpty dumpty on my bed, fat as a cow, with size 44 chest, and size 44 waist. Did I mention smelly?

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80:

you have no idea what you you are saying.

Even if the marriage is free of charge, a man who can not serve himself three plates of meal a day will not think of the trouble.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: why stress yourself to start with , am sure your comfortable with the baby mam lifestyle there in the u.k.is it a must to marry an igbo woman undecided

I've an Igbo baby mother.. grin And I'm planning to have more, but I'm not paying no bride price lol...I'll spend the bride price on my kids - and probably build a school in her village...

That was the same thing I told a pastor asking me for tithes a couple of months ago.. I'd rather give my tithes to the needy/homeless, than satisfy a pastor's greedy urge for my money, all in the name of religion.. cool
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 10:10pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

I'm not turning 'Igbo customs and traditions upside down' - I'm just advocating for a change that would make women have more self-respect, and enable the groom to 'respect' the bride. If we want to advocate for our culture(s) to be in its pure form - then we've to go back to the days when yam, kolanut, and farm products were used for bride price, not the millions of naira they're ripping people off nowadays... I definitely would pay with yam, palm oil, and kolanuts - since that was the REAL BRIDE PRICE when our ancestors were on this planet!!! The gods love yam, palm oil, palm wine, kolanut etc - not money!

The culture itself has been manipulated by greedy people - and it's either we take it back to the way our ancestors did their thing - or do away with it, period..

Let's take it back to our ancestors!! cool

professor of igbo culture go and tackle the alarming rate of divorce and children born out of welock in yorubaland , thsi thread is not for you.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by chiboy1928(m): 10:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
Why should imo girls be expensive when majority of them are illitrates,ugly,wit expired pussy,I tink their bride price should be the most cheapest bride price,atleast if it is reduced to 300 naira it will beta,and the funny tings is dat u get to see most of dis imo girls 35 upward still not yet married,I would never advised anyone to marry an imo lady cos most of them are bad and with bad characters.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 10:13pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dede1:

Even if the marriage is free of charge, a man who can not serve himself three plates of meal a day will not think of the trouble.

dede there is a difference btw doing what you said and paying close to a million to marry a girl
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 10:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
Nobody has been turned back from marriage engagement because of bride price. In Igbo land, marriage does not end in day. Rather it is a gradual process between families and in fact, communities.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 10:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: professor of igbo culture go and tackle the alarming rate of divorce and children born out of welock in yorubaland , thsi thread is not for you.

Why do you live and sleep tribalism? I've certain things about Yoruba culture that I don't like as well - and I've voiced my opinions about them on numerous occasions.. My argument on this thread isn't exclusively against Igbos - it's all about the modern concept of traditional marriages across all Nigerian tribes...

Ekwy_Omalicha is pregnant with my baby, anyway! tongue grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: professor of igbo culture go and tackle the alarming rate of divorce and children born out of welock in yorubaland , thsi thread is not for you.

Let me guess, you believe that the South East does not have similar issue? Nigerians ehn!!! BLINDNESS and IGNORANCE!!! Divorce and single mothers full everywhere in Nigeria, even Hausas are not exempt. And Please do not come back to tell me that an Abandoned woman is better than a divorced woman.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by otokx(m): 10:15pm On Aug 17, 2012
This issue of high bride price is not limited to our sisters from the east alone, try our sisters in the Akwa Ibom area then you would understand that its a characteristic of deep poverty coupled with mental imbalance.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 10:15pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

I've an Igbo baby mother.. grin And I'm planning to have more, but I'm not paying no bride price lol...I'll spend the bride price on my kids - and probably build a school in her village...

That was the same thing I told a pastor asking me for tithes a couple of months ago.. I'd rather give my tithes to the needy/homeless, than satisfy a pastor's greedy urge for my money, all in the name of religion.. cool

Singing .......

dream dream dreammmmm…, dream dream dreammmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Dede1(m): 10:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80:

dede there is a difference btw doing what you said and paying close to a million to marry a girl

Bros, I honestly deduce that this cry of high bride price is a calculated copout.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha:
Singing .......

dream dream dreammmmm…, dream dream dreammmmmmmmmmmm

You know Igbo girls love me like oha and ogbono soup - don't even go there... I'm the King of Igbo girls!! cool
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 10:20pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

Why do you live and sleep tribalism? I've certain things about Yoruba culture that I don't like as well - and I've voiced my opinions about them on numerous occasions.. My argument on this thread isn't exclusively against Igbos - it's all about the modern concept of traditional marriages across all Nigerian tribes...

Ekwy_Omalicha is pregnant with my baby, anyway! tongue grin

wishful thinking is allowed cheesy
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 10:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Let me guess, you believe that the South East does not have similar issue? Nigerians ehn!!! BLINDNESS and IGNORANCE!!! Divorce and single mothers full everywhere in Nigeria, even Hausas are not exempt. And Please do not come back to tell me that an Abandoned woman is better than a divorced woman.
why are crying for south east okada people, masons, welders, low payin job people all marry from imo state. if you really want a wife from imo you will get her, bride price have never stopped anybody from marrying an imo lady of his choice.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Oh boy . . . na slave im dey buy?

But on a serious note, I will never forget the day I heard our neighbor boasting of how he owned his wife, how he payed so much for her, and so no one should try to stop him beating her. I was about 8 years old then and I went numb, cause that was my first taste of what slavery was.

EVEN SPARTACUS DINT WORTH THIS MUCH WHEN HE WAS SOLD TO MY ONE AND ONLY BATIATUS, THE PURVEYOR OF THE FINEST GLADIATORS.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bittyend(m): 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha:

wishful thinking is allowed cheesy

Stop fronting, you know you've got a crush on ya boy...

When am I going to get an invite to your house, omalicha nma?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: why are crying for south east okada people, masons, welders, low payin job people all marry from imo state. if you really want a wife from imo you will get her, bride price have never stopped anybody from marrying an imo lady of his choice.

Are you sure you are responding to the right person? I am actually against the real prices placed on HUMAN BEINGS. I would prefer a symbolic price rather than a REAL PRICE as that is what all this remains.

After hearing three or four nimrods describe their wives as properties, you get the sense that something is wrong when people pay a monetary price for another human being.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend:

You know Igbo girls love me like oha and ogbono soup - don't even go there... I'm the King of Igbo girls!! cool

yes they love you in your dreams.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints Azumi As NOTAP Director General / Yes, I Am Part Of Aso Rock Cabal In Buhari's Gov't – SGF, Babachir Lawal / Hembe, Sacked Lawmaker, Appointed Board Chairman By Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.