Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,551 members, 7,888,777 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:51 PM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28490 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:13pm On Aug 17, 2012
Theblessed:

[size=16pt]Lai, Lai, Lai!

Generally, Igbo women are dis-inherited and it is a well known fact in Nigeria and Africa.

You are coming from another planet of Igbo land - you hadn't penetrated and don't understand the culture.

Your friend father is one in a Million and her brothers are very kind - wait until their Papa dies then, you will know if their brothers/wives/children are kind!

Most affected by this urgly tradition, will equally argue this out with you.
[/size]
if your talking about inheriting land or the house in your village then that will never happen because you cannot take their heritage to another man especially if your husband is a foreigner. as for properties in cities, cash , company share etc that depends entirely on your father and the type of family you have. if theres any group that enjoys their fathers wealth the most in nigeria its igbo women, if your having problems withing your family try to solve it and dont tag it as an igbo problem.

5 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?
u need to read carefully. Its nt state assembly. This traditional parliament.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Theblessed(f): 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Finally, someone who is reading my mind. There are so many ABANDONED women out there today that need the help of these elders to deal with what has resulted from their being sold to the men they ended up with. The issue of the RIGHTS of these women needs to be dealt with. Not how much more or less we can settle with when selling them.

[size=16pt]Thanks!

This is what I mean!!!!!!!!! The two issues are inter-linked - BRIDE PRICE and INHERITANCE!

Igbo daughters are sold to suffer at their husbands place without consideration.

If their inheritances are sorted out before they leave their father's house to theirs husbands, all the financial hardship and suffering they encounter at their husbands home, would be minimal.

So, that's the issue the Imo State of Assembly and the great Ohaneze Ndi Igbo should look into, now.
[/size]
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: if your talking about inheriting land or the house in your village then that will never happen because you cannot take their heritage to another man especially if your husband is a foreigner. as for properties in cities, cash , company share etc that depends entirely on your father and the type of family you have. if theres any group that enjoys their fathers wealth the most in nigeria its igbo women, if your having problems withing your family try to solve it and dont tag it as an igbo problem.

Please stop yapping of things you know nothing of!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
Abagworo:

The funny thing is that all my life I've never seen a bride price that exceeded one 1k. Never! I have 3 married sisters and dozens of other married female relatives that I participated in their traditional weddings. I think it seems to be poor people that inflate bride price or want to profit from their daughter's marriage.
me too am just reading it on nairaland , even my uncle that married from imo did not pay up to that. i think its just mischief that are behind all this. the expensive part of wedding in igboland and around the world are the ceremonies and not the bride price and that is where cutting your coat according to your size comes in.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:17pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Please stop yapping of things you know nothing of!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
and what is it i yapped about?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 11:19pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Look who is talking. grin

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
Theblessed:

[size=16pt]Thanks!

This is what I mean!!!!!!!!! The two issues are inter-linked - BRIDE PRICE and INHERITANCE!

Igbo daughters are sold to suffer at their husbands place without consideration.

[b]If their inheritances are sorted out before they leave their father's house to theirs husbands, all the financial hardship and suffering they encounter at their husbands home, would be minimal.

So, that's the issue the Imo State of Assembly and the great Ohaneze Ndi Igbo should look into, now.
[/size][/b]
do you know what idunno (marriage send off)is in igboland ? if you dont go and find out what it is and what they do there. incase you dont know whether your married or not in igboland you are still your father daughter and part of umuada in your fathers village. you cannot inherit your father land or house in the village as a woman because it will automatically become your husbands property(unless theres no male son to carry on the familys name that is why male children are a big deal in igboland) however you can inherit cash and properties, cars ,shares in cities.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 17, 2012
Telthetruth: Can someone help me on how to post a topic on this forum. Thank you. (Jst new here)
go to nairaland sections,like joke,education etc. U wil see a button for creating a topic there
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Abagworo(m): 11:24pm On Aug 17, 2012
Theblessed:

[size=16pt]Lai, Lai, Lai!

Generally, Igbo women are dis-inherited and it is a well known fact in Nigeria and Africa.

You are coming from another planet of Igbo land - you hadn't penetrated and don't understand the culture.

Your friend father is one in a Million and her brothers are very kind - wait until their Papa dies then, you will know if their brothers/wives/children are kind!

Most affected by this urgly tradition, will equally argue this out with you.
[/size]

I don't know which part of Igboland you come from that you don't know of "Idulo" culture in which a father gives utensils, clothes, house, cash, car to his daughter to support her new wedding. What is given is according to what the Father can afford.

However if you are talking about a man who died without writing his will, then it is likely the tougher guys in the family will seize his belongings. Sometimes his brothers could even out-smart his children and wife but that is not Igbo culture.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: do you know what idunno (marriage send off)is in igboland ? if you dont go and find out what it is and what they do there. incase you dont know whether your married or not in igboland you are still your father daughter and part of umuada in your fathers village. you cannot inherit your father land or house in the village as a woman because it will automatically become your husbands property(unless theres no male son to carry on the familys name that is why male children are a big deal in igboland) however you can inherit cash and properties, cars ,shares in cities.

a) You admit high bride price was even a problem. Clearly it is and that is why these state elders are coming together to device a solution.

b) Clearly you are not aware of the inheritance issues that many women have to deal, in many cases as a result of their becoming considered second class because they were essentially bought into their new families. In the case a man does not write a will(something that is still generally foreign to African culture), there is still no excuse for what continues to go on.

Why are you still yapping?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Theblessed(f): 11:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
[size=25pt]Finally, for the Imo State of Assembly and Ohaneze Ndi Igbo:

We, the daughters of Igbo land are saying that, our BRIDE PRICE and INHERITANCES must go hand in hand before, we pack our bags, please!!!!! grin grin
[/size]
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by mariousroi: 11:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
long long overdue.correct me if i'm wrong, Imo state has the highest number of well educated spinsters in the world because of greedy parents,uncles & mischievious relatives all in the name of satanic tradition & demonic customs.a lady over 30 will be faced with a lot of temptations you know
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by odumchi: 11:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
Solozzo:

If you believe traditions and culture cannot be changed then you must be the biggest fool on earth. Because these traditions were made by men and women like you, and you submit stupidly to them. You have no Christian spirit in you, for Christ challenged the traditional religion of his day with the words the laws of Moses were made for man , not man for the laws.

I have no problems with Christianity. In fact, I am a Christian - a Catholic for that matter.

What I have problems with is people being ignorant of their backgrounds and disposing of what their people have spent ages to develop in favor of everything European or Western.

Was it not the same man that created the various European marriage ceremonies that also created African marriage ceremonies? So why then should that of the Africans be considered inferior and unnecessary while the white man's is proper and required?

The thing that poses the largest threat to the cultural integrity of Africans is an inferiority complex.

And please, don't quote out-of-context scripture for me. Ndeewo. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:30pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

a) You admit high bride price was even a problem. Clearly it is and that is why these state elders are coming together to device a solution.

b) ies[b]Clearly you are not aware of the inheritance issues that many women have to deal, in many cases as a result of their becoming considered second class because they were essentially bought into their new famil[/b].

Why are you still yapping?
my friend go and sit down , inheritance of properties depend on your fathers will, it has nothing to do with igbo culture besides women are ususally given properties during idunno (depending on how wealthy the father is) .i have attended weddings including my sisters weddings where the woman idunno list consisted of mansions in enugu , abuja,lagos, brand new cars, millions of naira , boxes of assorted cloths, share certificetes etc but like i said if your talking about land in village home forget it it going to the male children

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: my friend go and sit down , inheritance of properties depend on your fathers will, it has nothing to do with igbo culture besides women are ususally given properties during idunno (depending on how wealthy the father is) .i have attended weddings including my sisters weddings where the woman idunno list consisted of mansions in enugu , abuja,lagos, brand new cars, millions of naira , boxes of assorted cloths, share certificetes etc but like i said if your talking about land in village home forget it it going to the male children

You know what? I don't blame you . . . I blame the situation that allows people to live ignorant of the situation for as long as they want to. Goodluck!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:36pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said, if you no clue, stop yapping!
see the most confused nairalander talking about yapping . come let me teach you sweet igbo traditions. i was born raised , schoole and now working in igboland and know my culture like abcd.

3 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 17, 2012
Nice idea from the Imo state house of assembly.our imo women don suffer! I guess my hubby will need to collect his balance from my dad when the bride price is fixed.lol! grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by bashr8: 11:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
berem: Nice idea from the Imo state house of assembly.our imo women don suffer! I guess my hubby will need to collect his balance from my dad when the bride price is fixed.lol! grin
how much was your bride price? not the price of the whole marriage ceremony oo
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 11:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You know what? I don't blame you . . . I blame the situation that allows people to live ignorant of the situation for as long as they want to. Goodluck!

@ kobo he is not yapping....he is saying it as it is.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Revolva(m): 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
Well una get time dey pay bride price when I nak d babe give am belle - emergency wedding haha nau dey reign o -then we go settle marriage any year in d future wey I don bouyant
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by sosodat: 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Hey Kobojunkie, Please just shut up. Go to another thread to continue your endless, mind-numbing, pointless arguments which clearly you use to de-stress/or have fun as opposed to anything educative or constructive.

You don't have a clue, not from the area, and absolutely display no knowledge of anything......plainly annoying of you jumping from one bandwagon to another (bride price to slavery to bride price to inheritance etc).

Just hilarious......enjoying riling them up (as usual) grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by sosodat: 11:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Hey Kobojunkie, Please just shut up. Go to another thread to continue your endless, mind-numbing, pointless arguments which clearly you use to de-stress/or have fun as opposed to anything educative or constructive.

You don't have a clue, not from the area, and absolutely display no knowledge of anything......plainly annoying of you jumping from one bandwagon to another (bride price to slavery to bride price to domestic violence to inheritance etc).

Just hilarious......enjoy riling them up (as usual) grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 11:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha:

@ kobo he is not yapping....he is saying it as it is.

Are you using your head at all? Someone tells you HE HAS NO IDEA that a problem even existed to begin with, then he tells you that because of that the problem is not real, and you come on here to say HE IS SAYING IT HAS IT IS? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by tpia5: 11:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
berem: Nice idea from the Imo state house of assembly.

^traditional parliament, not state parliament.

reread the opening post, plz.

Citing the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in their communities, the Traditional Parliament in Nigeria’s eastern state of Imo
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by pleep(m): 11:46pm On Aug 17, 2012
What if the woman is light skinned, the parents would stil have to collect the same price?

how unfair. angry
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by sapien(m): 11:50pm On Aug 17, 2012
bashr8: your foolsh for this, so in your mind all the cases of wife battery in nigeria , africa and even around the world are because of the bride price the men paid, what of u.s, caribbean and places where baby mama are common and their men abuse their women is it also beause of bride price? how about women that beat, abuse or even kill their husbands, is it also because of bride price? this is why the average IQ of nigerians is below 70.
What a dunderhead you are!Did I say that wife battering in Nigeria is caused by bride price?Didn't you read where I said the woman always came back to the man's house after each severe beating because in her own words,she said her parents have got no bride price to return to the husband,incase she wants to quit the marriage?Didn't you do comprehension in high school?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Solozzo(m): 11:51pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha:

no Ten million no game.......

Are you a prostitute?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Aug 17, 2012
sapien: What a dunderhead you are!

Did I say that wife battering in Nigeria is caused by bride price?Didn't you read where I said the woman always came back to the man's house after each severe beating because in her own words,she said her parents have got no bride price to return to the husband,incase she wants to quit the marriage?Didn't you do comprehension in high school?

It is more common than people care to admit.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by emiye(m): 11:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
One big reason why many refuse to marry early.

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Theblessed(f): 11:56pm On Aug 17, 2012
Abagworo:

I don't know which part of Igboland you come from that you don't know of "Idulo" culture in which a father gives utensils, clothes, house, cash, car to his daughter to support her new wedding. What is given is according to what the Father can afford.

However if you are talking about a man who died without writing his will, then it is likely the tougher guys in the family will seize his belongings. Sometimes his brothers could even out-smart his children and wife but that is not Igbo culture.

[b][size=16pt]Listen, you're living in cuckoo land with regards to Igbo traditions!

The women who are living the realities of this unfair system are informing you of their every day experiences and you're here arguing blindly.

Yes, "Idu Ulo" is an ancient Igbo tradition, and not all clans, hamlets and families are respecting it, in this present time hence, the suffering of these women.

Also, it is an Igbo tradition, for a father when he is alive to allocate any of his village land - I repeat, any of his village land (not those in towns, not shares etc) if he wishes, to his first daughter mainly - whether married or not, and no one dares take it from her - lai, lai, lai!

But these days, the son's would take it from her - is it not our culture and shouldn't we 'Uphold' it?

Now tell me, how many clans, hamlets and families are respecting that, today undecided undecided None, and you are here promoting respect for Igbo traditions, the ones you chose, abi?

We only have to respect those ones that favours you and your clans men, abi??

In that case, all Igbo traditions should now, be reviewed and quick to stop these injustices...!

Imaine, you come here to inform me about our traditions - I am "Ada na Nne and Nna" and you can't tell me about my culture!
[/size][/b]
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by EkwyOmalicha: 12:00am On Aug 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are you using your head at all? Someone tells you HE HAS NO IDEA that a problem even existed to begin with, then he tells you that because of that the problem is not real, and you come on here to say HE IS SAYING IT HAS IT IS? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

am using your head….stop arguing on what you know nothing about, bashr8 and Odumchi ve properly schooled you on Igbo customs and traditions but u ve vehemently refused to learn one or two things from them.
What re you on about? from high bride price to female dis-inheritance in Igbo land. Stop trying too hard; you can’t be more catholic than the pope.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Jibrin: Dogara Diverted FG Project To His Farm In Nasarawa / Shehu Sani's Tweet About Rochas Okorocha / Buhari Appoints Azumi As NOTAP Director General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.