Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,913 members, 7,872,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:18 AM

Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take (19964 Views)

Core Arsenal Couple Celebrate Their Wedding In An Amazing Way (Photo) / Marriage In Absentia(pics) / Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2012
I have heard about families conducting marriage ceremonies with the images (photos) of their children because they couldn't come down for the ceremony. I have also heard of situations where the woman gets married to the guy's pix or d guy's brother cos he couldn't make it.

I saw a pix of a wedding like dat yesterday. A traditional wedding picture of the bride with the photo of the suppossed husband. This really got to me. I doubt I can ever agree to do such. I can't even do such. Who signs the marriage Cert on behalf of the groom? Who does she exchange the marriage vows with? I can't just imagine me agreeing to do dat kinda thing. sad

I think it's somehow. What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by MissyB3(f): 10:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
Not my thing!
Starting something as serious as marriage with such unseriousness shouldn't even be permitted.

11 Likes

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Jayboy124: 10:58pm On Aug 19, 2012
I understand if the introductions are done without the guy around but anything about wedding, the man and woman must be there.

But if one is the son of Bill Gates, then the bride and her parents would understand.

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by JAkpayen(m): 1:06am On Aug 20, 2012
@ Tgirl4real: It's desparateness that is leading most of our ladies into such act. I saw such pic too on a friend's FB page or maybe those ladies are past their time.

@ Jayboy124: Abeg 4get about wealth it would never bring a perfect solution/happiness in a marriage. Don't you know that living and putting up with someone you've not grown up together with is the most difficult thing. I'm talking about managing with someone whose character is entirely different from that of your siblings.

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 7:47am On Aug 20, 2012
JAkpayen: @ Tgirl4real: It's desparateness that is leading most of our ladies into such act. I saw such pic too on a friend's FB page or maybe those ladies are past their time.

Yea. I wonder if na by force to get married at the tym ni.

True! In the pix I saw, d woman was somehow looking older dan the guy.

God forbids!
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by TCD: 8:41am On Aug 20, 2012
I think you people wrongly assume the act of marriage is the "ceremony". Its not. Its from the heart, a promise you make from the depths of your soul and spirit whether it be by phone, or telegraph. The ceremony is just for show, to let people know we're officially married, to have witnesses or for the legal system to issue certificate. so doesn't matter if its a stick that represents the bride or groom in that wedding party.

I doubt God cares about your marriage certificate or wedding ceremony. God does not need any signed witnesses, because he was right there with you two. Once two people "agree" to be married and exchange vows to that effect, weather by phone or email, undersea or in space, in jail or mortuary, they are seen by God as married. You don't need a priest, judge, lawyer or parents to be married in the sight of God. After all two people can agree in prayer, make vows or covenants with God in their basements and God takes it as valid.

If you need a ceremony and party to validate the connection you and your spouse have and bond you into marriage maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Most times, you know the heart of someone not by what they say in a public gathering, but what they say to you when you're all alone gazing deeply into each other's eyes.

9 Likes

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 20, 2012
JAkpayen: @ Tgirl4real: It's desparateness that is leading most of our ladies into such act. I saw such pic too on a friend's FB page or maybe those ladies are past their time.

Ididn't know that women had expiry dates for marriage. undecided

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Fiveseventy: 11:36am On Aug 20, 2012
I have even heard of an engagement that took place in Nigeria even though both the bride and groom to be were in living London!

He was from South West and she was South South. I doubt if its a cultural thing to even conduct an engagement/wedding in the absence of either or both parties. It seems like a new generation thing thats meant to allow for flexibility and convenience.

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by spyder880(m): 2:49pm On Aug 20, 2012
Witnessed such marriage, groom was in London and the younger bro was representing.

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by koolJ1(f): 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2012
My dad represented his brother undecided

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by dayokanu(m): 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2012
Tgirl.

What if both bride and groom are outside the country and for some reasons they cant come home. How would the traditional wedding proceed?
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by xzibukz(m): 5:48pm On Aug 20, 2012
Ok
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2012
dayokanu: Tgirl.

What if both bride and groom are outside the country and for some reasons they cant come home. How would the traditional wedding proceed?

Ok. I get that point. My question is: do they have to do the traditional marriage ceremony at the time? Why can't they do the exchange of engagement materials without the photos?

Someone just posted the same pix I saw. I didn't post it cos I wouldn't like to infringe on other people's privacy.

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 6:29pm On Aug 20, 2012
TCD: I think you people wrongly assume the act of marriage is the "ceremony". Its not. Its from the heart, a promise you make from the depths of your soul and spirit whether it be by phone, or telegraph. The ceremony is just for show, to let people know we're officially married, to have witnesses or for the legal system to issue certificate. so doesn't matter if its a stick that represents the bride or groom in that wedding party.

I doubt God cares about your marriage certificate or wedding ceremony. God does not need any signed witnesses, because he was right there with you two. Once two people "agree" to be married and exchange vows to that effect, weather by phone or email, undersea or in space, in jail or mortuary, they are seen by God as married. You don't need a priest, judge, lawyer or parents to be married in the sight of God. After all two people can agree in prayer, make vows or covenants with God in their basements and God takes it as valid.

If you need a ceremony and party to validate the connection you and your spouse have and bond you into marriage maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Most times, you know the heart of someone not by what they say in a public gathering, but what they say to you when you're all alone gazing deeply into each other's eyes.

Ur point exactly? Why bother to do the party then when it's not that necessary?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by dayokanu(m): 6:33pm On Aug 20, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ok. I get that point. My question is: do they have to do the traditional marriage ceremony at the time? Why can't they do the exchange of engagement materials without the photos?

Someone just posted the same pix I saw. I didn't post it cos I wouldn't like to infringe on other people's privacy.

When performing a wedding in absencia, I think the picture might just be a representation of the couple.

Is it allowed to start a family without the traditional rites being performed

Assuming you are in Germany with your bf and cant come home for some reasons, Would you start a family with your bf without the trad wedding?

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by TCD: 6:45pm On Aug 20, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ur point exactly? Why bother to do the party then when it's not that necessary?
doesnt matter however they choose to do the party, point is at the end of the day, the marriage is valid.
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2012
@ Dayo,

No. His parents should initiate a meeting with my parents, meet, send the engagement materials, and we can then do registry where we are. Or, the parents could do the introduction. As long as there is parental consent, we could do registry wedding first and later come home for the trad when we are both settled. That's what my sis did. We knew the hubby before they both traveled. They got married over there and later did the trad like 10 years after.
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by olaadegoke(m): 11:07pm On Aug 20, 2012
Its called PROXY wedding and its done in other part of the world...Naija own might be needed to obtain legal documentation to abroad since he/she cant fly home without legal paper..
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by SisiKill1: 12:10am On Aug 21, 2012
I don't get it...is it only women who 'gage their men's picture? I mean why is this suddenly a sign of "desperateness" for women??!!

Some guys will seize every opportunity to down women shaaaaa! Haba! Don't y'all get tired??

Personally I'm not a big fan of it and I think it is based on aesthetics. How do you have as your engagement picture. . . a picture of you and another picture on the fireplace?!

Wouldn't look right. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 21, 2012
dayokanu:

When performing a wedding in absencia, I think the picture might just be a representation of the couple.

Is it allowed to start a family without the traditional rites being performed

Assuming you are in Germany with your bf and cant come home for some reasons, Would you start a family with your bf without the trad wedding?

When I was in Germany, my Edo friend could not travel down to Nigeria for her traditional marriage because the Nigerian embassy in Germany(for a very silly reason )refused to grant her visa. She had to postpone it. People suggested this picture thing and she asked for my opinion then, I told her no one was allowed to represent me on the day of my marriage,same way my picture though relevant is not to be used instead of my physical self as a representative.

For reasons I know we have no control over, the couple might not be able to travel down for the marriage proper , so why not postpone it to a more convenient day when both are present
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by dayokanu(m): 6:31am On Aug 21, 2012
jennykadry:

When I was in Germany, my Edo friend could not travel down to Nigeria for her traditional marriage because the Nigerian embassy in Germany(for a very silly reason )refused to grant her visa. She had to postpone it. People suggested this picture thing and she asked for my opinion then, I told her no one was allowed to represent me on the day of my marriage,same way my picture though relevant is not to be used instead of my physical self as a representative.

For reasons I know we have no control over, the couple might not be able to travel down for the marriage proper , so why not postpone it to a more convenient day when both are present

In cases where the convenient day is 10yrs time or 15yrs time do you still postpone it till then?

1 Like

Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 21, 2012
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2012
dayokanu:

In cases where the convenient day is 10yrs time or 15yrs time do you still postpone it till then?

Then they are not ready to be married. If they cannot make things happen, then they are not ready to get married. Is the man in prison? Are they dead?can't they do it in whichever country where they are based? is it by force to do it in Nigeria? If it will take 10 years to make that convenient time then honestly i propose they just move on with their lives and with someone else.
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by bournvita: 10:42am On Aug 21, 2012
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Tgirl4real(f): 11:41am On Aug 21, 2012
dayokanu:

Let your families meet here in Nigeria for the necessary rites, while you do a registry wedding over there. Parental consent is the most important thing here.
Re: Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 21, 2012
Jayboy124: I understand if the introductions are done without the guy around but anything about wedding, the man and woman must be there.

But if one is the son of Bill Gates, then the bride and her parents would understand.
dat is nonesense,even if he is d president of d universe,he has to b there,he loved me enof and saw wifely potentials in me to wife me so y cant he suspend every other activity for 'our day',by d way am marrying a human being and not a picture.@ least whoever u r,if u want to do weddin,its somtin u plan 4,its nt somtin u just do out of d blues.there is no excuse or justification 4 dat disgraceful behaviour irrespective of how much ure worth or who u r.i cant see any other reason for it other than pride and iresponsibility of d highest order

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" / Akwa Ibom Housegirl Searching For Her Family / Re: Clarion Call To Help Intervene In Mrs Akinlana And Her Children’s Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.