Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,535 members, 7,888,718 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:35 PM

Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! (13200 Views)

Ondo Monarch, Olugbo, Denies Arrest By EFCC / Yoruba Deity Warned Us Of Palace Fire – Alaafin Of Oyo / Police Secure Release Of Abducted Ondo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Stallion77(f): 7:19am On Aug 27, 2012
Angry natives of Igburowo community in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State yesterday chased away their paramount ruler, Oba Pius Akinfesola Adewole, from his palace over alleged gross corruption and indiscipline.
The action was witnessed by a large number of kinsmen, who trooped out to show their disapproval for Adewole’s alleged sins.

The protest, which began at about 6am, involved chiefs and prominent citizens of the community, who expressed their feelings in songs over the alleged misrule of the traditional ruler, which they claimed had brought shame and disrespect to the community.

The villagers had earlier written a protest letter, dated August 3, 2012, which was signed by about21 of their representatives, representing various interest groups, including high chiefs, female chiefs, otherwise called Opoji in local parlance, aswell as male and female natives, members of Igburowo Development Committee (IDC), youth association and the secretary of the Akinbumiti Ruling House.

The letter was addressed to Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs as well as the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.

They demanded that the oba vacates the throne over some atrocities allegedly perpetrated in the community.

According to the letter, the monarch, who is known as the Akamuja of Igburowoland, was accused of forceful acquisition of land belonging to his subjects, frivolous litigation over subjects’ property, non-performance of traditional rites and assault on his chiefs and subjects.

He was also alleged to have connived with an indigene to defraud the community of N3.6 million meant for the payment of electricity bill to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Plc.
The indigene, who was allegedly nominated by the monarch as a representative of the community, was accused of diverting the money to his personal use.

He is facing prosecution at a Magistrate Court over the allegation.
Similarly, the monarch was also accused of running an autocratic regime by refusing to constitute the Oba-in-Council, several years after the death of some other high chiefs, called Iwarefas, who traditionally are required to run the township administration with him.
Besides, Adewole was also accused of refusing toconvene traditional meeting places where people would gather to discuss communal matters.

The monarch was also accused of shortchanging traditional chiefs by refusing to pay them their full entitlements after he had allegedly collected same from the local government.
The community also accused him of fighting with his chiefs, illegal conversion of the community’s resources to personal use and writing of fictitiouspetitions and institution of several court cases against his subjects.

The protesters, who barricaded the major roads leading to the community, carried placards bearing inscriptions such as “Enough is Enough, 16 years of no development, no action,” “no, to backwardness,” “Igburowo says no to Akinfesola” “Go, Akinfesola, Go, Igburowo community rejects you Pius Adewole.”
The protesters, who marched from the main market to all the streets, later stormed the palaceand ordered him out.

He was manhandled.
However, the quick intervention of Ore Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and his men saved the life of the monarch.
The police had hectic time rescuing the traditional ruler.
He was taken to the Ore Police Station.

Confirming the incident, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, Adeniran Aremu, said the traditional ruler was in police custody after he was rescued from his subjects who forced him outof the palace.
Aremu said policemen had been drafted to the town to maintain law and order, adding that investigation was ongoing.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/from-grace-to-grass-monarch-chased-out-of-palace/
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Acidosis(m): 7:42am On Aug 27, 2012
Wish we can all emulate this.. GREAT MOVE

1 Like

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Ejine(m): 7:46am On Aug 27, 2012
Every mushroom class prefect now dey answer "Monarch".
That name has been so overused and bastardized in Nigeria, just like "ultra-modern" and "storm" eg. "Blah blah blah STORMS government house with fleet of supporters" and the rest of that crap.
Nigerian journalist lexicon toh badt.

3 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by ayobase(m): 8:47am On Aug 27, 2012
Acidosis: Wish we can all emulate this.. GREAT MOVE

....to go chase Sanusi and his cohort from CBN....is anyone attempting Aso Rock?
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Vegetablesoup: 9:26am On Aug 27, 2012
They should have flogging him too so that his mates would began to learned lessons

3 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by geeez: 9:28am On Aug 27, 2012
Don't you just love the Yorubas? Just wished we were a country on our own but God dey

11 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by KingSolomonI: 10:15am On Aug 27, 2012
Am sure there is a way to do similar to our representatives especially if proven that their constituents are in shambles after they have given them funds to better the lives of the inhabitants therein.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by azezola(m): 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
i love d yorubas,yoruba proper

2 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy
na wa o, boys don dey wake up ?
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2012
Will any dare chase GEJ out of Aso Rock? The monarch was jst doing what he learnt 4rm his superiors.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
Vegetable soup: They should have flogging him too so that his mates would began to learned lessons
oh boy...your grammar jst prevented a plane crash in Antartica,kudos...

5 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
Yoruba people... angry

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2012
don't you just love the Yorubas. Standing up for good governance.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by overkillR(f): 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
Vegetable soup: They should have flogging him too so that his mates would began to learned lessons

Damn!!!!
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
saxywale: don't you just love the Yorubas. Standing up for good governance.

Standing up for blah! blah! Blah!!

More like behaving like NURTW touts..

The matter is in court already so why act like untrained morons?! angry

They even Manghandled him..

Blocked the road..

Constituted a nuisance..

When would Yorubas start behaving like civilized human beings?!

I am sure that traditionally, there is a due process for removing an Oba, why not follow it?!

And here we are and a supposedly educated Yoruba man is supporting such Rascality...

1 Like

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju: Yoruba people... angry

i dont get it, a man who mismanaged funds and committed a lot of atrocities and all you could say was yoruba people? i hope this is just Nland, but not the way nigerians think in person. just nairaland.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by gramci: 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
binger: oh boy...your grammar jst prevented a plane crash in Antartica,kudos...

Noted grin
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by titayomi: 4:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
Imagine!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a great shame
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by locust01(m): 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
U went to school at all.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
hahaha.........I love this story..... Just made my day.................

Imagine if we all did this to our leaders, we won't be driving on potholes again. grin grin grin grin grin and we go dey enjoy electricity 24/7.....

A society that is ready to put up with corruption should be ready to put up with hardship and opportunistic Pastors.... grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Siga: 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
I know people never believed there would be a day a traditional ruler will be beaten and chased out of his palace....now it happens....one day , one day....na so we go beat Govenors, Senators, Legislators and President wey no perform....it will happen...when...thats a big question mark

1 Like

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
Donlittle: i dont get it, a man who mismanaged funds and committed a lot of atrocities and all you could say was yoruba people? i hope this is just Nland, but not the way nigerians think in person. just nairaland.

So you support such extra judicial criminality?!

Was he tried and found guilty?!

I hope to God that you also dont think like this in real life.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
geeez: Don't you just love the Yorubas? [b]Just wished we were a country on our own [/b]but God dey

^^^On the bolded: that ship has sailed mate!

Dem for kidnap am grin.....just kidding wink.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Siga: 4:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

....My guy....Nigerian leaders and rulers are potential thieves....no need for trial in his case...no smoke without fire....na thief (Amu roba)
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
okija juju:

Yoruba people...sad

Whats wrong with yoruba people?
I am igbo but i think what they did was quite admirable and gallant.

Besides do we always have to look at d tribe before we comment because i am sure if it was an igbo community u would b praising them by now.

Lets dumb all the sensless hating and start supporting each other.

10 Likes

Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
Every Local Government chairman needs to be treated that way, they all receive awuf from Abuja every 4 weeks yet do nothing. na GEJ go do everything.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by BusHouse(m): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
That is the result of new school.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by BusHouse(m): 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
That is the result of night school.
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Vessel4christ(m): 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
Dear, @vegetable soup,u have just won a free ticket for summer coaching on twitter! proudly sponsored by @gbagaundetector @gbagaunmuncher @gbagaunspotter @tiaundetector @grandpadayo ffw dem 2 claim ur prize!
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Dhelake: 4:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

c dis dude o .... U're waitin 4 their trials .... As d'banj talk am .. 'IF U ARE STILL SITTING DOWN ; U'RE ON A LONG THING'
Re: Youths Chase Ondo-Monarch Out Of Palace!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:33pm On Aug 27, 2012
Siga: ....My guy....Nigerian leaders and rulers are potential thieves....no need for trial in his case...no smoke without fire....na thief (Amu roba)

Are you serious?

So its okay for people to take the law into their hands on the slightest of accusations?!!

So they should have killed a man without trial?!

No investigations!!

I'm sure it was based on local rumours and gists that they acted..

ALSO and MOST IMPORTANTLY!! I am a traditional man and the kings and rulers of tribes are believed to have been enthroned by the gods.. For you to remove he whom the gods have enthroned, you must follow due process as would be known to the villagers and elders alike.. I am sure that toutism isnt one of the stipulated modes of removing an Oba.. They even beat the Oba..

In Benin Kingdom, even if the Oba kills someone in public, the youths can never touch him until he is traditionally dethroned as the Oba.. The curse of the gods would be on anyone who touches the king..

This is Yorubas at their best behavior.. Agberoism..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anti-Corruption Fight: Top 'Own Goals' Scored By The Buhari Administration -Tori / APC Expels Inuwa Abdulkadir Over Anti-party Activity / Obi To Tribunal: Tinubu Ineligible To Be President Over $460k Forfeiture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.