Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,252 members, 7,891,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:46 AM

Much Ado About This Begging Business! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Much Ado About This Begging Business! (1334 Views)

Naija Tourist Trip To The Suspended Lake Of Ado Awaye In Oyo / Hotels In Ado Ekiti / Nigerian's Begging For Asylum In Greece (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Much Ado About This Begging Business! by controlseven: 4:48am On Oct 02, 2012
Just recently, at one of the parks in Onitsha on my way to Aba. I watched with keen interest as three suit-wearing and bible-clutching men compete amongst one another the first to pray for the occupants of the buses b4 their departures. Then, one came to our bus and prayed for forgiveness of sins, for success in our various endeavours and also for journey mercies. Amen! We chorused at required intervals. Then he asked for money to finance his good works for God. He left for other buses to win more souls (for himself i guess) and then another came with an even more powerful lines of prayers. Again, we (they) made contributions for his services.
This style of money-making by such "prayer-peddlars" has worsened over the years. Their modus operandi vary, for eg, one may board the bus along other passengers. He preaches, prays and collects his revenue on transit and then alights at a given junction making way for another of his cronies to join the bus as the journey continues.
This "disguised" begging business must be very lucrative especially when one considers the risk involved and skills exhibited by such practioners. Some time ago, I equally saw some physically challenged (if truly they were) persons on their wheel-chairs lined up at the middle of the Niger-bridge express way chasing after motorists moving at top speeds for alms. The list for such begging excesses abound!
Initially, i'm usually dumb-founded whenever i come across these brazen displaya. But on the realization that this is Nigeria where anything can happen, i now look at them in awe! Have u witnessed any other begging ploy? Pls share ur story.

(1) (Reply)

Working And Living In Dubai Or Turkey Which Is Preferrable / Germany: To Leave Or To Stay?,, / Killer Traffic Today On Benin-ore Express Way. Passengers Had To Play Soccer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.