Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,431 members, 7,964,761 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 07:52 PM

Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? (20516 Views)

Am I Wrong Fighting My Husband's Younger Brother's Side Chick? / I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. / Wife Insisted I Greet Her After She Have Given Me Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Clemzy16(m): 1:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
@OP I'm not in support of you calling your husband's younger ones "aunty" and "uncle" but since It's a family issue, I'll say if you don't like it, don't do it.
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Assalaam(f): 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2012
Calling them aunty just show your level of respect and how well cultured you are and if they do not reciprocate, it shows their worth. Believe me, it does not reduce anything in you but add to it.
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Genyc: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
Hello dear, please if you dont want to call anybody aunty then DONT! Jeez whats all these talk abt respect, the way people make this marriage look I keep wondering if its same thing I'm into too.
I am from Anambra too, yes born and bred, and all my life I've not heard of such a thing as calling your younger inlaws aunty!!! infact the opposite is the case. All my younger sisters or sister-in-laws call me aunty or sister, not that I give a hoot though. Do not quarrel with your hubby abt this irrelevant issue but let him know your stand and stick to it biko...ah ah
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by DonCipher: 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
gnchetts: Please house I need an advice for this.

I'll clock 29yrs old on Jan 4th and my Husband is only 2 months older than me.I didn't really bother about the age barrier because I was already deeply in love with him before I found out.

My problem now is that am being forced to call his younger ones Aunty's and brothers and greet them in the morning. This is really very difficult for me because I gave his immediate younger sister 3years and my husband is even supporting them that is their tradition in Okija,Anambra state but I've never had about such tradition in any part of Igbo land.

Please what do I do. Am really dumbfounded.I've not been talking to my husband for 3days now and am not ready to visit his family until u advise me on the right thing to do. Because am not ready to humiliate myself to that extend.

thanks
I am from the eastern part of Nigeria and i've never heard this type of rubbish before; rather it should be the other way round. But you should not keep malice with your hubby. No matter what, try and make him see reason with you; probably he needs to be reminded he now has a family and should stop sibbling politics.

1 Like

Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Fancier(f): 3:28pm On Oct 11, 2012
ayobase:

She calls u Aunty, call her mummy....SIMPLE.
Dont be too emotional about parallel titles as signs of respect!
Or do u want the cleaner to call u by ur name ''FRANCIER, WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO''....people respecting doesnt mean u dont respect them MORE!
Respect is reciprocal irrespective of difference in class, position or status!
Lucky Dube sing am!

Noted cool cool cool

But the truth is i prefer my name called than all this title that actually not signify respect in the real sense. Personally i prefer the sister and brother title from an older or younger person than Aunty... Am i his/her dad's or mum's sister kind of sound awkward for me... Especially in an official environment (office).
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Opemipo011: 4:42pm On Oct 11, 2012
shocked
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Opemipo011: 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
Its common among people from the west.
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 11, 2012
Ivynwa:

Kail you may not understand that, in truth Aunty is supposed to be a word used to refer to your father or mother's sister but somehow we use it as a respectful way of referring to older females even if they are not related to us so yes! It is a Nigerian thing in the context being discussed here.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. smiley
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by gnchetts: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
Big thanks to everyone.I've tried to make peace. My husband tried to expain to me why he wants me to do it,he only want to avoid anything that will make them hate me at this early stage. I've decide to call them Mummy c,Mummy u. For the boys I can call them ogas,i will always add ma & sir and even great their last born while I make fun out of it all.Am so grateful for all your advice,they helped me alot.

1 Like

Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by slimyem: 9:12pm On Oct 15, 2012
gnchetts: Big thanks to everyone.I've tried to make peace. My husband tried to expain to me why he wants me to do it,he only want to avoid anything that will make them hate me at this early stage. I've decide to call them Mummy c,Mummy u. For the boys I can call them ogas,i will always add ma & sir and even great their last born while I make fun out of it all.Am so grateful for all your advice,they helped me alot.
Good!
You are a wise woman!!
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by Glitterglow: 11:04pm On Sep 27, 2020
Please help guys, I'm 3yrs older than my elder brother's wife and she doesn't greet me or even call me aunty and I'm so uncomfortable with the way she sees me in the morning or anytime of the day and just start talking to me without greeting or calling me any name; what do I do?
Re: Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'? by igbowoman: 12:30am On Sep 28, 2020
gnchetts:
Please house I need an advice for this.

I'll clock 29yrs old on Jan 4th and my Husband is only 2 months older than me.I didn't really bother about the age barrier because I was already deeply in love with him before I found out.

My problem now is that am being forced to call his younger ones Aunty's and brothers and greet them in the morning. This is really very difficult for me because I gave his immediate younger sister 3years and my husband is even supporting them that is their tradition in Okija,Anambra state but I've never had about such tradition in any part of Igbo land.

Please what do I do. Am really dumbfounded.I've not been talking to my husband for 3days now and am not ready to visit his family until u advise me on the right thing to do. Because am not ready to humiliate myself to that extend.

thanks

That is yoruba culture. We have no such thing in Igboland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Ways To Hold Your Temper / My Dad Breaks Me Down Everyday / Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.