Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,482 members, 7,901,357 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 08:55 AM

Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 (155402 Views)

FG Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards 2016/2017 - Apply Now / Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2014/2015 / 2013 Federal Government Scholarship Awards For Nigerian Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (83) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 12, 2013

We are now reaching the end of the road to this BEA interview. As a motivation/one of the parting words for all applicants for BEA scholarship this year, I will like to share my personal story about this scholarship. It is a bit long but I believe we can gain one or two things from the “gospel” according to st. .... (lol).

Application

February 2002, I was a HND 1 student in one of the Federal Polytechnics and simultaneously running a B Eng. Program (just got admission through Direct entry) in another Federal University all in the south-west. I came home from the polytechnic on a Saturday to ask for more money (Oliver Twist) for my B.Eng program. Early Monday morning a neighbour came calling Bayo! Bayo!! Bayo!!!. Knowing fully who was calling my name, I pretended as if I was asleep because I thought he was calling me, as usual, to help jump start his car. My father who was already manic that I did not wake up early to wash his “precious” Mazda 636, found the opportunity to smack my a.s.$ off the bed. “Common!!! Stand up” he barked at me. “It is only a lazy man that stays in bed till this time”. Can’t you hear Daddy D***** calling you?. No, mi o gbo (No, I did not hear), I lied. I reluctantly ease out of bed to meet Daddy D****. Fortunately, Daddy D**** is not soliciting for help to jump start his car but today, he is giving me what can now be termed a lifetime help. He told me that he heard on TV the previous night (Sunday) that there is a scholarship form available at the state ministry of education and that I meet the requirements as I had 7 A’s and B’s going by today’s standard. He was also interested in the Master degree thing as he graduated with 2:1 in Mech Engineering.
Behold we got to the scholarship office at Ekiti state Ministry of Education, the place was still locked. We met a lady on queue. Another Coursemate of mine at the polytechnic met us there making 4 of us waiting to get the form. After the workers started trickling in, we were told to wait for the oga in charge of the form. When the oga, in his conductor suit came in, we announced our mission and he said “I am not sure the remaining forms will be up to four”. He brought out 2 forms. I could not get any one of those forms cos I was number 3 on the queue (1 went to the lady and the other to Daddy D*****). Succumbing to my fate, I and my classmate turned back to take our leave then a lady (probably a secretary) said from the inner office in Ekiti dialect, “Oga here is another form” which was given to me. That was how I got the last form allotted to Ekiti for that year.
Now think of it, how can a form for something that was advertised on a Sunday evening finish by Monday morning knowing fully well that we were the first comers? Naija!!!!!!
When I brought home the form, my father’s first reaction, being normal Nigerian, was as follows “Who do you think is gonna give you a government scholarship?” believing it is going to be a padi-padi thing. Any way he supported me on the whole thing to submit the form probably he was thinking “if this thing go through…..”

Interview

After submitting the form at the state ministry of Education, I was told to be coming around to check for interview date. As person wey wan go obodoyibo, I was going there every week or send someone to check for interview but nothing. At a point I thought it is over so I relented in going there.
One Wednesday morning in May 2002, I came home after my semester exam at the polytechnic in order to recuperate for the university program; I was in my room, yes, that same bedroom of mine where Daddy D**** was calling, another neighbour was washing his car with the radio on (radio Nigeria 7am news) but with the door closed hence I could not hear news. At an instance, he open a door of the car and I heard “Scholarship board, Announcer”. Instantly, I remember my scholarship application hence I decided to go to the ministry that day for update. I got there around 9.00am but the door of the office is locked. On the door it was pasted that the interview for BEA scholarship is taking place 9.00am that morning at Akure, 1 hour drive from where I was. I should also come with some document including police clearance certificate, letter from school principal, letter of consent from parent amongst others.
With all odds against me, my parents working in another town had gone to work hence no way to raise money for journey to Akure, Where will I get police clearance and letter from principal?, Parent consent was another issue and lastly and most importantly, how am I gonna meet the interview when it was already after 9?.
The first thing I did was to go to my secondary school which is not far from the ministry and still same way to my house for letter from principal. I have a good relationship with the typist (Old woman and not what you are thinking) despite leaving the school 5 years earlier hence she quickly typed it while I went to explain the situation to the principal who hurriedly signed the type document and ushered me with his blessings.
Now money matter, I went to all those corners where my father used to pull out his money behold I found some there enough and I am set on my way to Akure but it was already 11 am. Lest I forget, In the process of saving time, I decided to jump the fence into our compound which resulted in straining my left ankle.
I boarded a car to Akure, I was inside the car that I wrote the letter of parental consent, “input” my father’s signature and I crossed my finger hoping for goodies to come.
I got to Akure around 12.30pm and it took me another 1 hour to locate the venue of the interview. As I was stepping there, the oga in Ekiti scholarship office was stepping out of the hall. He asked me, have you been interviewed, No sir. I -I – I am just coming .I-I-I…..stammering as I search my medulla oblongata for a tangible reason for my lateness. “Ok! Come in right away, you still have time, they are still attending to applicants from Ekiti”. My joy was boundless and my motivation was high. At that time I gained 65% confidence that I will be offered the scholarship. Sir! I beckoned again to oga, please my documents are not complete because…..”Don’t worry about that you will be directed on what to do after the interview, he replied. Truly after the interview, which was just all about checking your educational document, I was told that my document/credentials are not complete. I need to bring 2 more document the following day one of which is the police criminal record report.
Tired and exhausted with a strained Ankle, I got home around 8pm. My father, sitting in his “grandpa” chair in the sitting room watching Iroyin (News) on EKTV was furious. He did not even listen to my greetings. “Where are you coming from at this time” he briskly asked. “From Akure” I answered. Akure ke! (What!! Akure), for what? I hurriedly and joyfully, flashing my yellow 32, narrated the events of the day intentionally omitting the money part and the parental consent part. Now relaxed, he asked “How was the interview?” Fine I said but I need to get 2 more document and submit them to complete the interview unfailingly tomorrow.
To cut the story short, The following morning, my father (a school principal) forgot his PTA meeting, ANCOPSS meeting and so on and straight to police headquarters. By 11 am we have a police criminal record report, a letter stating that I have no criminal record, signed and stamped. We got to interview venue at Akure at about 1 pm. I introduced my father to Oga from Ekiti state scholarship office and they exchanged pleasantries. I submitted the entire outstanding document and that was it. From then on na prayers and “fasting” get me ooo….lol!!!
The key thing in this long sermon is this: Don’t let anything debar you from attending the interview if you are qualified. I believe there is always a way out of any issue.
After the interview, I will post per offer and travelling
P.S.: Daddy D***** was not awarded the scholarship but he is presently an engineering consultant working for United Nations on Engineering projects in Nigeria. I specifically mentioned this because, unfortunately, not all of us on this forum will be awarded scholarship hence no one should see this scholarship as the end of life. Do not also forget to apply for other scholarship. Don’t keep all your eggs in a basket.
Good luck!!!

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Davo93(m): 10:39pm On Mar 12, 2013
Hmmmm.... @Mr Bayo, this is credibly motivating, i'm already salivating for this scholarship and can't wait to be on your next thread as regards the scholars. I'm strong and confident my awesome God will help me. All my documents are ready...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience... Guess that Daddy D***** is Daniel...lolzzz, thats by the way!!!!))
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by moshoeshoe: 12:08am On Mar 13, 2013
how very compulsory is it to have As and Bs in eng and maths in o-level for masters students? If most nija schls accepts two sittings, what makes the BEA requirements different?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by martcrown: 7:33am On Mar 13, 2013
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Shimasparkle(f): 7:51am On Mar 13, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmm@Bayo,,,woke up dis mrning to check the thread and was welcomed by your 'autobiography'nyc one,,,enjoyed it and laughed at some point though,also learnt 4rm it,in order to be sure and nt let anytin barr me 4rm dis interveiw,,hope the date and venue for benue state applicants still stand at 18th,dats monday and FGC Ilorin,,right
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by niunse4life: 8:23am On Mar 13, 2013
mr Bayode,u r indeed a RARE GEM.words cnt express how grateful i am for the information.read your story and i was lauging and sheading tears. thanks a million. May God cont. to bless you.Thank you
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by niunse4life: 8:32am On Mar 13, 2013
Shimasparkle: Hmmmmmmmmmmm@Bayo,,,woke up dis mrning to check the thread and was welcomed by your 'autobiography'nyc one,,,enjoyed it and laughed at some point though,also learnt 4rm it,in order to be sure and nt let anytin barr me 4rm dis interveiw,,hope the date and venue for benue state applicants still stand at 18th,dats monday and FGC Ilorin,,right

my interview is also in lorin. but mine is on the 19th. how do we hookup?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Davo93(m): 8:53am On Mar 13, 2013
Do we have anyone writing in Akure?? My centre is Akure.
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by SperanzaVoy: 9:44am On Mar 13, 2013
Is there anyone on the forum that resides in Ilorin or Akure please
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 11:16am On Mar 13, 2013
Anybody writing at Owerri here??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by nuelnuel: 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2013
Tizzie: Anybody writing at Owerri here??
When are you writing? which state are you from?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 1:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
nuelnuel:
When are you writing? which state are you from?
anambra march 18th wbu?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by niunse4life: 2:26pm On Mar 13, 2013
Shimasparkle: @Neius4life,,,,,,,,,,,here,,,,,,,,08175300215
k tanks
Have you obtained your police certificate? if YES,how much pls and where?tanks
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Ceoobi: 2:28pm On Mar 13, 2013
Plz am 4rm Anambra State. Can sum1 help me out with the venue of my interveiw(place). Bayo ur story might b funny bt i claim it in Jesus name. Amen!!!
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by joachinx: 2:33pm On Mar 13, 2013
@Mr Bayo, i have been following ur thread for since last week.... really av not commented on any of ur post and av not asked any question cos i i av bn reading past questions and ur anwsers to these questions.... jst read ur testimony, and i must confess.... i av claimed ur miracle already smiley... and will also say you are a big blessing to our generation... God bless you uncountable times... can't stop saying thank you... may ur children also meet favour in hands of people... and i will emmulate you... cos i will dedicate time to doing dis dat you've been doing to others.. God helping.. and in other things... thank u once again.. and am loooking forward to d part 2 of ur story..
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 3:33pm On Mar 13, 2013
Ceoobi: Plz am 4rm Anambra State. Can sum1 help me out with the venue of my interveiw(place). Bayo ur story might b funny bt i claim it in Jesus name. Amen!!!
Me too,our exam is at owerri(FGGC)
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by emygreat747(m): 3:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
@bayo,nyc write-up sir,was far more than an encouragement for me,thanx for all your support!!!!!!!!!@shimasparkle,guess we might be meeting each other on monday.
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Shimasparkle(f): 3:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
Na wa 4 nairaland oo,person no wan use smilley na by 4cewch time i use sad face 4 my post wey e appear there,abeg o
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Shimasparkle(f): 3:38pm On Mar 13, 2013
Hopefully@Emygreat
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by joachinx: 3:54pm On Mar 13, 2013
@CEOBI: Your venue is FGGC Owerrri, you are writing on the Monday,18-03-2013.. add me up on 3294C73C... dats also my venue... buh am frm Imo and will be writing on Thursday 21-03-2013.
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by joachinx: 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2013
@Tizzle, what state are you from and wen are you writing?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 4:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
Anambra on monday
joachinx: @Tizzle, what state are you from and wen are you writing?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Ucheiwu007(m): 4:58pm On Mar 13, 2013
am on monday, anambra
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by olatunji555: 5:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
please can anybody tell me d steps to register dis scholarship? Nd wen will i recieve d acknowledgement letter dat i will take 2 d centre
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 5:21pm On Mar 13, 2013
Me too
Ucheiwu007: am on monday, anambra
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Youssuphmaadh: 6:34pm On Mar 13, 2013
BayoAA:

Do not worry about that. Just go to he interview venue with an extra passport photo. The exam/test/interview will be taking place from 18th -22nd March depending on your state of origin. Tell me your state of origin and I will tell you when and where your is taking place. Good luck!!!!
I am frm kano! But unfortunately I count my age I found that am 24, plz wat 2 du, because I olready finish everything !
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by niunse4life: 7:48pm On Mar 13, 2013
olatunji555: please can anybody tell me d steps to register dis scholarship? Nd wen will i recieve d acknowledgement letter dat i will take 2 d centre

visit www.fsb.gov.ng. dats if d site has not been closed. Good luck
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Ceoobi: 10:28pm On Mar 13, 2013
Tizzie can i have ur num and where re u in Anambra?
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Zi: 12:06am On Mar 14, 2013
Please, who knows if they will accept my WAEC statement of result? embarassed
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by dehveym: 1:28am On Mar 14, 2013
Please I have everythng except my acknowledgement slip.what's acknowledgment slip and will they still interview me without it? sad
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by paul234(m): 3:54am On Mar 14, 2013
BE THE FIRST OF YOUR COLLEAGUE TO BE INFORMED!
Re: Nigerian Federal Government BEA Scholarship Awards For The Year 2013/2014 by Tizzie: 7:28am On Mar 14, 2013
Ceoobi: Tizzie can i have ur num and where re u in Anambra?
07032894669 is my number,I m not in anambra ,Just call me so we can discuss

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (83) (Reply)

Check 2017/2018 WAEC Result Here Www.waecdirect.org / 2013/2014 Utme And Admission Process / The Latest On ASUU Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.