Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,058 members, 7,946,604 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 10:16 PM

Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir (20064 Views)

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 11:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
icon aus: @ dayokanu

Needless saying who is coward and who is not coward . nigerians know who is coward and you know who is not coward . And beleive u know who is coward. Other tribes not only igbos know that yorubas are cowards playing snake politics in Nigeria that will eventually catch up with them .

We know the cowards the one who flee warfront. and leave innocent children to die.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by sleek29(m): 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
icon aus: @ Dayo kanu

Igbos are migratory in nature . even before the war igbos were every where in nigeria . Even overseeas igbos dominate . What do you also expect from the people who were given only 20 pounds to do business and support the family after the war? In order to survive , igbos moved again after the war to other parts of nigeria beleiving in one nigeria, to do business and make money since other tribes lack that business sense and it is paying off now because u can hardly see poor igbo family . Igbos will not leave their business in other parts of nigeria because we were forced in to one nigeria and we have to live that one nigeria. The bottom line is that you people are just jealous if igbo people acheivement esp in other parts of nigeria and you want us to abandon the estabilshments for yorubas and hausas . That will not happen at all if that is your dream unles nigeria splits. But for now in one Nigeria , igbos surge on irrespective of the location.

Jealous of Ibos, always playing the victim, if I was jealous of an Ibo man, I won't rent out my property to any of them. Ibos just suffer from inferiority complex, makes them act like the victim always

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 11:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
@logica

igbos suffered greatly in civil war just to keep one nigeria, as a result igbos are living that one nigeria imposed on them however , in the event of dialogue to split , igbos will be glad to go period.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by illicit(m): 11:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
gboss4sure:

Nigeria was not providing food. They banned airplanes going to biafra from flying over Nigerian airspace because Food and Aids were flown to Biafra from portugual, France and Gabon and they had to fly over Nigerian Airspace. So say what you can defend and don't say what you don't know
Those planes fly weapons in too, which country will allow dat.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 11:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
icon aus: @logica

igbos suffered greatly in civil war just to keep one nigeria, as a result igbos are living that one nigeria imposed on them however.
And believe you me, it could have been a different story if the Igbos were led by a person with more maturity, tactical knowledge and finesse.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by sleek29(m): 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2012
icon aus: @logica

igbos suffered greatly in civil war just to keep one nigeria, as a result igbos are living that one nigeria imposed on them however , in the event of dialogue to split , igbos will be glad to go period.

Please go! The only time I enjoy peace in lagos is in december, why?, they are all gone to their villages, when u get to the bus park, they park chairs, rice, and all sorts to the east and then the air in lagos is then so enough

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by zuchyblink(m): 11:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
they want one nigeria. No one wether hausa or yoruba will secede in this country,if they try it we are going to give them 10 times what nigeria and britain gave us.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:03am On Oct 18, 2012
zuchyblink: they want one nigeria. No one wether hausa or yoruba will secede in this country,if they try it we are going to give them 10 times what nigeria and britain gave us.

bring it on please.

Lets get started. The Black Scorpion rampage of 1967 would be childs play this time around
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:03am On Oct 18, 2012
@sleek 29

What inferiority complex ? The last people that suffers inferiority in nig context are the igbos . Why re u trying to marry a supperior igbo girl ? Are there no more yoruba girls? Inferior in what aspect ?is it in business, is it in education, is it in looks, is it in bravely, industrous , igbo sense , riches, sophistication ,name them, currently politically igbos are better of hence the reason yorubas crying of marginalisation under GEJ. Igbos walk with their shoulders up in nigeria because we have done unimaginable with 20 pounds and we continue to march on and no body will stop.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:10am On Oct 18, 2012
icon aus: @sleek 29

What inferiority complex ? The last people that suffers inferiority in nig context are the igbos . Why re u trying to marry a supperior igbo girl ? Are there no more yoruba girls? Inferior in what aspect ?is it in business, is it in education, is it in looks, is it in bravely, industrous , igbo sense , riches, sophistication ,name them, currently politically igbos are better of hence the reason yorubas crying of marginalisation under GEJ. Igbos walk with their shoulders up in nigeria because we have done unimaginable with 20 pounds and we continue to march on and no body will stop.

Inferiority complex is what worries Ibos. Everything in life they must compare themselves to Yorubas.

Ibos are always ashamed of the native religion, language and culture.

Thats why All their governors bear SULLIVAN Chime, ROCHAS Okorocha, THEODORE Orji, PETER Obi and MARTIN Elechi. If a yoruba Governor has a foreign name he would hide it in the middle. BABATUNDE fashola, ABIOLA Ajimobi, IBIKUNLE Amosun, KAYODE Fayemi, Olusegun Mimiko. Only Aregbesola uses a foreign name. Imagine its even the Rivers governor an Ikwerre man thats proud to use CHIBUIKE. All the Igbo State governors are ashamed of their names. What Inferiority complex can be more than that

ALEX Ekwueme compared to OLUSEGUN Obasanjo.

Anywhere Ibos go they deny their native religion How come Amadioha isnt known anywhere but Sango, Obatala and all Yoruba gods are known globally even in far away Brazil.

Even Wedding nowadays they are copying Yorubas, Tell me whats the meaning of AsoEbi in Igbo language?

Clothing? Igbo man would tie wrapper like someone suffering from chronic Hernia

Check out a Yoruba man flying his traditional attire
www.nairaland.com/attachments/361454_Obasanjo_Carter_3_gif1aea2f9bb290a245046ff4d50470ded2

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:13am On Oct 18, 2012
whatever u people say about ojukwu' we igbos adore him greatly . He stepped in when we needed some one . Read soyinkas message . He sponsored the war with his fathers wealth . Note Ojukwu senoir was the richest african then. He was the real igbo man . The only mistake he made was that he trusted the yorubas and he was betrayed and that was the message to the new igbo generation. never to trust a yoruba man . You can be a friend to yoruba man but dont trust him
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:17am On Oct 18, 2012
icon aus: whatever u people say about ojukwu' we igbos adore him greatly . He stepped in when we needed some one . Read soyinkas message . He sponsored the war with his fathers wealth . Note Ojukwu senoir was the richest african then. He was the real igbo man . The only mistake he made was that he trusted the yorubas and he was betrayed and that was the message to the new igbo generation. never to trust a yoruba man . You can be a friend to yoruba man but dont trust him

You can adore anyone you want. I am sure some people adore idi Amin till today

But that cant change history that he was a bloody coward who fled warfront
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:20am On Oct 18, 2012
@ dayokanu

that goes a long way to tell how well u know nigeria . Igbos are 99,9% christians hence we take our christian name first aka baptismal name as christians . Though that idea is fast dwindling amonnst young igbo generation as we tends to identify with our root now than before because as am igbo u gona be pround . All my kids names are igbo names .Being all most 100% christians is one the reasons why igbos are hated in nigeria by mostly northern moslems and more by yoruba moslems.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:25am On Oct 18, 2012
icon aus: @ dayokanu

that goes a long way to tell how well u know nigeria . Igbos are 99,9% christians hence we take our christian name first aka baptismal name as christians . Though that idea is fast dwindling amonnst young igbo generation as we tends to identify with our root now than before because as am igbo u gona be pround . All my kids names are igbo names .Being all most 100% christians is one the reasons why igbos are hated in nigeria by mostly northern moslems and more by yoruba moslems.

Kayode fayemi is a Christian, Chibuike Amaechi is a xtian, Rotimi Akeredolu is a xtian, Olusegun Obasanjo is a Xtian, Where in Christianity does it mandate you to use oyinbo names?

Na Igbos reject their own names Inferiority complex no go kill una.

No current Igbo Governor could use his native name

WHAT A SHAME. Even Igbos are ashamed of their own names
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:27am On Oct 18, 2012
@ sleek29 and dayokanu

u should go sleep . depriving urself of sleep to attack igbos does not worth it because i ll not succeed because igbos are die hards . Here in overseas it 11am thursday morning.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:31am On Oct 18, 2012
icon aus: @ sleek29 and dayokanu

u should go sleep . depriving urself of sleep to attack igbos does not worth it because i ll not succeed because igbos are die hards . Here in overseas it 11am thursday morning.

Are you in Malaysian jails like your brothers? When did Malaysia allow inmates to be using the internet?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:31am On Oct 18, 2012
Igbos are tru christains while yorubas are neither true christains nor true moslems . Thats yoruba nature for you . Unstable peole who cannot be identified for any thing instead causing trouble in nigeria underground
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 12:34am On Oct 18, 2012
icon aus: Igbos are tru christains while yorubas are neither true christains nor true moslems . Thats yoruba nature for you . Unstable peole who cannot be identified for any thing instead causing trouble in nigeria underground

Igbos are true christians indeed and where in Xtianity does it mandate people to adopt Hebrew/Greek names?

See THEODORE Orji a true Christian in Church observing Mass. I laff in Okija

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:46am On Oct 18, 2012
You guys are not wiser than soynka and u have no basis to hate Ojukwu . Go and read soyinka message again about what led to civil war . Ojukwu is hero attested by his burial. Nothing is gona change that. No way ojukwu would have surrendered to Gowon and Awo who were his surbodinates hence he left, that is wisdom and came back to marry the most beautiful Nigerian girl at that age to tell you how he is loved by his people .if you dont like it , go to hell
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by bigfrancis21: 12:47am On Oct 18, 2012
When I read certain accusations by the yoruba especially towards the Igbo, I just cringe. If its not inferiority complex, then its occupation of lagos syndrome. Interestingly, many of these Yoruba people are yet to live in Igboland and truly see the Igbo people without a muddied perspective. Being an Igbo myself, the only major problem which the Igbo has is the cheating/fraud syndrome. The Igbo man is the last person on earth to have inferiority complex. That the Igbo occupy lagos, its only because of the economic importance of Lagos. Just as you'd find us there, so would you find us in Abuja too. We don't believe in being lazy and idle. We believe in hardwork. We go out and work. We are also accommodating and equally forgiving. Despite the injustice being meted out to the Igbo before, during and after the civil war, no Igbo man still bears revenge or plans of reprisal attacks. We are definitely blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 12:53am On Oct 18, 2012
Visiting shrine is your way of life in the west . we all know that. a yoruba is a idol worshipper, a christain and at same time a moslem . What a people . People who exhibit such character are dangerous. You can be identied ; always like chameleons
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by amor4ce(m): 12:56am On Oct 18, 2012
notice the skulls on the trays and the blood-stained machetes

[img]http://yemitom.files./2012/05/igbo2.jpg?w=339&h=245[/img]
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 1:02am On Oct 18, 2012
bigfrancis21: When I read certain accusations by the yoruba especially towards the Igbo, I just cringe. If its not inferiority complex, then its occupation of lagos syndrome. Interestingly, many of these Yoruba people are yet to live in Igboland and truly see the Igbo people without a muddied perspective. Being an Igbo myself, the only major problem which the Igbo has is the cheating/fraud syndrome. The Igbo man is the last person on earth to have inferiority complex. That the Igbo occupy lagos, its only because of the economic importance of Lagos. Just as you'd find us there, so would you find us in Abuja too. We don't believe in being lazy and idle. We believe in hardwork. We go out and work. We are also accommodating and equally forgiving. Despite the injustice being meted out to the Igbo before, during and after the civil war, no Igbo man still bears revenge or plans of reprisal attacks. We are definitely blessed.

But this is what you people are known for including low self esteem and insecurity. This is why you people start topics everyday, beating chest and comparing yourself to everybody outside your borders. If you don't have inferiority complex and low self esteem, other people and who is better than who should be the last thing on your mind.

Why not sit in your villages and develop it for your future generations? Your legacies and accomplishments should be in your villages, not in other people's land. Your hard work in other people's land is giving other people needed taxes to develop their land and not ibo land.

You people keep living in what they call a foolish man's paradise and your future generations will ask questions and they;ll pay for your foolishness..
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by LocalChamp: 1:05am On Oct 18, 2012
Here is the original Telegraph interview with Soyinka. I see no mention of Achebe's memoir or Soyinka giving any backing as the heading of the topic falsely states. The Thisday reporter Ike Abonyi is trying to be clever by half.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/9600954/Wole-Soyinka-If-religion-was-taken-away-Id-be-happy.html

Wole Soyinka: 'If religion was taken away I'd be happy'

The Nobel prize-winner Wole Soyinka spoke this week at the Hay Festival in Mexico. In an extract from his talk, he tells Peter Godwin that now’s the time to tackle militants in Nigeria.

Wole Soyinka: We must stop pussyfooting around Islamic militants Photo: Daniel MordzinskiBy Peter Godwin
7:00AM BST 12 Oct 2012
1 Comment
Peter Godwin Professor Soyinka, you’re not an ivory-tower kind of writer. You are not a stranger to danger, and in fact you’ve been imprisoned on at least two occasions, once in solitary confinement. Can you tell me what that was like?

Wole Soyinka Writing in certain environments carries with it an occupational risk. When I was imprisoned, without trial, it was as a result of a position I took as a citizen. Of course I used my weapon, which was writing, to express my disapproval of the [Biafran] civil war into which we were about to enter. These were people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own. Unfortunately, the nature of my imprisonment meant that I couldn’t practise my trade because I was in solitary confinement for 22 months out of the 27, and I was deprived of writing material. So I had to somehow break through the barriers, smuggle in toilet paper, cigarette paper, scribble a few poems, pass messages outside. I was able to undertake exercises to make sure that I emerged from prison intact mentally.

PG There have been high hopes for some African leaders after they were elected – Meles in Ethiopia, or Museveni in Uganda, or Kagame in Rwanda – but who then went to to show a more authoritarian bent. Are you an Afro-optimist or an Afro-pessimist?

WS I’m an Afro-realist. I take what comes, and I do my best to affect what is unacceptable in society. I’ve remarked how similar in many ways Mexico is to Nigeria, and to a number of places: we have the same condition of unstructured, unpredictable violence, both from the state and from what I call the quasi-state. Whether the quasi-state is formed, as its basis, of theocratic tendencies, or secular ideological rigidity, you always have forces, even outside the state, competing for the domination of people. That’s what’s happening on the African continent today. That’s what’s been happening in the Arab states and what led eventually to the Arab Spring. Gradually people come to the recognition after decades of supine submission that they are not whole as human beings.

PG Your parents were Christians, Anglicans, I understand. How has your own religious belief evolved?

WS I consider myself very fortunate. I was raised in a Christian environment in Abeokuta, but another side of me was very much enmeshed in African values. I gravitated towards what I saw was a cohesive system of a certain relationship of human beings to environment, a respect for humanity in general. I came through a traditional system, where children not only had rights, but had responsibility. In the European world today, especially in America, it seems to be forbidden for children to have responsibilities…

I gravitated towards a deeper knowledge of the orisha, which represents the Yoruba pantheon, very similar in many ways to the Greek pantheon. You have reprobate deities, beneficent deities. I found that more honest than a kind of unicellular deity of either Christianity or Islam.

I don’t know if you’ve been following the news, but just a few days ago some of these Islamic fundamentalists butchered close to 50 students of a technical college. I cannot imagine the religion I was brought up in having such complete contempt for human lives. And yet these are supposed to be the world religions. So that’s why I consider myself rather fortunate that I’ve been able to see what other religions had to offer.

PG How should Nigeria deal with the Boko Haram, the Islamic militants in the north of the country?

WS All religions accept that there is something called criminality. And criminality cannot be excused by religious fervour. Let me repeat something I first said at the meeting organised by Unesco a few weeks ago, which was prompted by the recent film insulting the religion of Islam and depicting the Prophet Mohammed in a very crass way.

The first thing to say is that we do not welcome any attempt to ravage religious sensibilities. That can be taken for granted. But you cannot hold the world to ransom simply because some idiot chose to insult a religion in some far off place which most of the world has never even heard of. This for me is a kind of fundamentalist tyranny that should be totally unacceptable. So a group calls itself the Boko Haram, literally: “Book is taboo”, the book is anathema, the book is a product of Western civilisation, therefore it must be rejected.

You go from the rejection of books to the rejection of institutions which utilise the book, and that means virtually all institutions. You attack universities, you kill professors, then you butcher students, you close down primary schools, you try and create a religious Maginot Line through which nothing should penetrate. That’s not religion; that’s lunacy. My Christian family lived just next door to Muslims. We celebrated Ramadan with Muslims; they celebrated Christmas with Christians. This is how I grew up. And now this virus is spreading all around the world, leading to the massacre of 50 students. This is not taking arms against the state, this is taking up arms against humanity.

PG Is freedom of expression something you see as a universal right rather than as some Western construct?

WS There are many cultures on the African continent where days are set aside, days of irreverence where you can say anything you want about an all-powerful monarch or chief. It’s a safety valve. It’s a recognition of freedom of expression, which perhaps has not been exercised, and bottled up grievances; this is the day when you express your grievances in society. So there is no society, really, which does not boast some form or measure of freedom of expression. Now, it’s true that freedom of expression carries with it an immense responsibility. Well that is why laws of libel exist – that when you carry things too far, you can be hauled up before the community, and judged to see whether you are right to call somebody a thief, or a hypocrite, and damage his reputation. But unless you establish that principle of freedom of expression, we might all just go around with a padlock on our lips.

Audience member I read somewhere my freedom ends where your freedom begins. In Europe there have been cartoonists who have mocked the Prophet. Should they limit their freedom of speech?

WS Religion is also freedom of expression. People want to express themselves spiritually. And they also exercise the right to try and persuade others into their own system of belief. Those nations that say it’s a crime to preach your religion are making a terrible mistake. All they’re doing is driving underground other forms of spiritual intuitions and practices.

If religion was to be taken away from the world completely, including the one I grew up with, I’d be one of the happiest people in the world. My only fear is that maybe something more terrible would be invented to replace it, so we’d better just get along with what there is right now and keep it under control.

The unrest which is taking place as a result of Boko Haram, in my view, has attained critical mass. When a movement reaches that state of total contempt even for universal norms, it is sending a message to the rest of the world, and to the rest of that nation, that this is a war to the end. The president of Nigeria is making a mistake in not telling the nation that it should place itself on a war footing. There’s too much pussyfooting, there’s too much false intellectualisation of what is going on, such as this is the result of corruption, this is the result of poverty, this is the result of marginalisation. Yes, of course, all these negativities have to do with what is happening right now. But when the people themselves come out and say we will not even talk to the president unless he converts to Islam, they are already stating their terms of conflict.

*This is an edited transcript of Wole Soyinka’s event at Hay Xalapa.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ak47mann(m): 1:05am On Oct 18, 2012
soyinka is like a gem in the dirt, is like only truthful and honest yoruba person in nigeria... i give you 5 gbosaaa for saying the truth,we know your kinsmen will not sleep well because the truth is bitter...
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by iconaus: 1:07am On Oct 18, 2012
@ bigfrancis -When I read certain accusations by the yoruba especially towards the Igbo, I just cringe. If its not inferiority complex, then its occupation of lagos syndrome. Interestingly, many of these Yoruba people are yet to live in Igboland and truly see the Igbo people without a muddied perspective. Being an Igbo myself, the only major problem which the Igbo has is the cheating/fraud syndrome. The Igbo man is the last person on earth to have inferiority complex. That the Igbo occupy lagos, its only because of the economic importance of Lagos. Just as you'd find us there, so would you find us in Abuja too. We don't believe in being lazy and idle. We believe in hardwork. We go out and work. We are also accommodating and equally forgiving. Despite the injustice being meted out to the Igbo before, during and after the civil war, no Igbo man still bears revenge or plans of reprisal attacks. We are definitely blesssedd

U said well my brother . But dont forget that in the early days , igbos were noted for buying and selling until igbos infitrated lagos and yorubas taught them how to do fraud and 419 . I still remember my history . Uptil today in south africa yorubas are champions in credit card fraud while igbos in drugs .
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by amor4ce(m): 1:32am On Oct 18, 2012
@LocalChamp, the Igbo denial of obvious facts is known technically as belief perseverance

The ThisDay reporter's false presentation is characteristic of his people - craftiness (which they call "enterprising" and "industrious"wink however fraudulent and/or obnoxious.

[size=20pt]Diss Information: Is There a Way to Stop Popular Falsehoods from Morphing into "Facts"?[/size]

False information is pervasive and difficult to eradicate, but scientists are developing new strategies such as "de-biasing," a method that focuses on facts, to help spread the truth

By Carrie Arnold | Thursday, October 4, 2012

A recurring red herring in the current presidential campaign is the verity of President Barack Obama's birth certificate. Although the president has made this document public, and records of his 1961 birth in Honolulu have been corroborated by newspaper announcements, a vocal segment of the population continues to insist that Obama's birth certificate proving U.S. citizenship is a fraud, making him legally ineligible to be president. A Politico survey found that a majority of voters in the 2011 Republican primary shared this clearly false belief.

Scientific issues can be just as vulnerable to misinformation campaigns. Plenty of people still believe that vaccines cause autism and that human-caused climate change is a hoax. Science has thoroughly debunked these myths, but the misinformation persists in the face of overwhelming evidence. Straightforward efforts to combat the lies may backfire as well. A paper published on September 18 in Psychological Science in the Public Interest (PSPI) says that efforts to fight the problem frequently have the opposite effect.

"You have to be careful when you correct misinformation that you don't inadvertently strengthen it," says Stephan Lewandowsky, a psychologist at the University of Western Australia in Perth and one of the paper's authors. "If the issues go to the heart of people's deeply held world views, they become more entrenched in their opinions if you try to update their thinking."

Psychologists call this reaction belief perseverance: maintaining your original opinions in the face of overwhelming data that contradicts your beliefs. Everyone does it, but we are especially vulnerable when invalidated beliefs form a key part of how we narrate our lives. Researchers have found that stereotypes, religious faiths and even our self-concept are especially vulnerable to belief perseverance. A 2008 study in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology found that people are more likely to continue believing incorrect information if it makes them look good (enhances self-image). For example, if an individual has become known in her community for purporting that vaccines cause autism, she might build her self-identity as someone who helps prevent autism by helping other parents avoid vaccination. Admitting that the original study linking autism to the MMR (measles–mumps–rubella) vaccine was ultimately deemed fraudulent would make her look bad (diminish her self-concept).

In this circumstance, it is easier to continue believing that autism and vaccines are linked, according to Dartmouth College political science researcher Brendan Nyhan. "It's threatening to admit that you're wrong," he says. "It's threatening to your self-concept and your worldview." It's why, Nyhan says, so many examples of misinformation are from issues that dramatically affect our lives and how we live.

Ironically, these issues are also the hardest to counteract. Part of the problem, researchers have found, is how people determine whether a particular statement is true. We are more likely to believe a statement if it confirms our preexisting beliefs, a phenomenon known as confirmation bias. Accepting a statement also requires less cognitive effort than rejecting it. Even simple traits such as language can affect acceptance: Studies have found that the way a statement is printed or voiced (or even the accent) can make those statements more believable. Misinformation is a human problem, not a liberal or conservative one, Nyhan says.

Misinformation is even more likely to travel and be amplified by the ongoing diversification of news sources and the rapid news cycle. Today, publishing news is as simple as clicking "send." This, combined with people's tendency to seek out information that confirms their beliefs, tends to magnify the effects of misinformation. Nyhan says that although a good dose of skepticism doesn't hurt while reading news stories, the onus to prevent misinformation should be on political pundits and journalists rather than readers. "If we all had to research every factual claim we were exposed to, we'd do nothing else," Nyhan says. "We have to address the supply side of misinformation, not just the demand side."

Correcting misinformation, however, isn't as simple as presenting people with true facts. When someone reads views from the other side, they will create counterarguments that support their initial viewpoint, bolstering their belief of the misinformation. Retracting information does not appear to be very effective either. Lewandowsky and colleagues published two papers in 2011 that showed a retraction, at best, halved the number of individuals who believed misinformation.

Combating misinformation has proved to be especially difficult in certain scientific areas such as climate science. Despite countless findings to the contrary, a large portion of the population doesn't believe that scientists agree on the existence of human-caused climate change, which affects their willingness to seek a solution to the problem, according to a 2011 study in Nature Climate Change. (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group.)

"Misinformation is inhibiting public engagement in climate change in a major way," says Edward Maibach, director of the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University and author of the Nature article, as well as a commentary that accompanied the recent article in PSPI by Lewandowsky and colleagues. Although virtually all climate scientists agree that human actions are changing the climate and that immediate action must be taken, roughly 60 percent of Americans believe that no scientific consensus on climate change exists.

"This is not a random event," Maibach says. Rather, it is the result of a concerted effort by a small number of politicians and industry leaders to instill doubt in the public. They repeat the message that climate scientists don't agree that global warming is real, is caused by people or is harmful. Thus, the message concludes, it would be premature for the government to take action and increase regulations.

To counter this effort, Maibach and others are using the same strategies employed by climate change deniers. They are gathering a group of trusted experts on climate and encouraging them to repeat simple, basic messages. It's difficult for many scientists, who feel that such simple explanations are dumbing down the science or portraying it inaccurately. And researchers have been trained to focus on the newest research, Maibach notes, which can make it difficult to get them to restate older information. Another way to combat misinformation is to create a compelling narrative that incorporates the correct information, and focuses on the facts rather than dispelling myths—a technique called "de-biasing."

Although campaigns to counteract misinformation can be difficult to execute, they can be remarkably effective if done correctly. A 2009 study found that an anti-prejudice campaign in Rwanda aired on the country's radio stations successfully altered people's perceptions of social norms and behaviors in the aftermath of the 1994 tribally based genocide of an estimated 800,000 minority Tutsi. Perhaps the most successful de-biasing campaign, Maibach notes, is the current near-universal agreement that tobacco smoking is addictive and can cause cancer. In the 1950s smoking was considered a largely safe lifestyle choice—so safe that it was allowed almost everywhere and physicians appeared in ads to promote it. The tobacco industry carried out a misinformation campaign for decades, reassuring smokers that it was okay to light up. Over time opinions began to shift as overwhelming evidence of ill effects was made public by more and more scientists and health administrators.

The most effective way to fight misinformation, ultimately, is to focus on people's behaviors, Lewandowsky says. Changing behaviors will foster new attitudes and beliefs.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-to-stop-misinformation-from-becoming-popular-belief
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by cjrane: 1:48am On Oct 18, 2012
zuchyblink: they want one nigeria. No one wether hausa or yoruba will secede in this country,if they try it we are going to give them 10 times what nigeria and britain gave us.

Exactly, i do believe too much blood had already been shed to keep Nigeria one. The question of allowing any group especially yoruba to leave Nigeria again is totally out of the question.We must all live together in this nation whether they like it or not.We shall continue to run things even in Lagos. grin
Besides, as Nigeria is today, we just love it grin grin grin
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by cjrane: 1:55am On Oct 18, 2012
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 2:09am On Oct 18, 2012
dayokanu: The hero while fleeing even killed 2 children

Is this for real?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by nyabingi(m): 3:24am On Oct 18, 2012
sleek29:

Please go! The only time I enjoy peace in lagos is in december, why?, they are all gone to their villages, when u get to the bus park, they park chairs, rice, and all sorts to the east and then the air in lagos is then so enough

[size=14pt]THEN YOU WISHED NDI IGBO WOULD COME BACK BECAUSE BUSINESS IN LAGOS BECOMES DULL AND THE YOURUBAs BECOME VULNERABLE TO POVERTY!![/size]
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 3:28am On Oct 18, 2012
nyabingi:

[size=14pt]THEN YOU WISHED NDI IGBO WOULD COME BACK BECAUSE BUSINESS IN LAGOS BECOMES DULL AND THE YOURUBAs BECOME VULNERABLE TO POVERTY!![/size]

Igbos need to think before posting.

Are Yorubas in Lagos not your consumers? Without consumers how will your business thrive? Best to start thanking the Yorubas than to start mouthing off.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

ExxonMobil Qua-Iboe Terminal Shut Down Over Militants' Threats / Buhari Receives Gambian President Adama Barrow At State House(photos) / APC Primaries: How Governors Put Oshiomhole In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.