Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,669 members, 7,889,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:57 AM

Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack (12115 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Blasts Nigerian Senate, Calls It Gathering Of "Beer Parlour Chat" / FG Recalls Arunmah Otteh / See Transcorp Hilton Food Invoice For Ms. Arunmah Oteh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Xfactoria: 12:33am On Oct 19, 2012
pro01:

Lol. Bros, were you the intermediary between the biitch and Hembe in the alleged bribery episode? How/why did you come to the conclusion that she is [wrongly] being maligned just because she refused to give "bribe" to Hembe and his committee? Because she herself alleged so? Or because the media reported so? Did the media not also report Oteh's corrupt/irresponsible actions as alleged by Hembe's committee? Why do you subjectively choose to believe the former and ignore the latter?

Why do you prefer to ignore the fact that Hembe also accused Oteh of indulging in corrupt practices and breaching public service regulations? She was accused of spending TAX PAYERS money to the tune of N850,000 on food and refreshments in one day, and staying in a hotel (Transcorp Hilton) on TAX PAYERS' bill for over 8 months, during which she wasted over N30 million of Tax Payers' money - in brazen disregard for public service rules:
www.premiumtimesng.com/business/4233-sec_boss_arunma_oteh_spent_n850_000_on_food_for_a_day.html
www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/equities/39946-investors-lose-n131b-as-dangote-stumbles.html

Now, I watched the committee proceedings live. Since she could not defend her excesses, she resorted to what biitches like her do best: she shed crocodile tears and accused the committee of demanding a bribe from her, and claimed that it was because she refused to give the bribe that she was being 'victimised'. Why did she not convincingly DENY the allegations against her, but chose instead to spew counter-allegations?

I don't need to reveal what I know or what I don't know. Since your arguments are based on newspaper reports, I would also limit my argument to newspaper reports. Now, since NO court has found Hembe guilty of demanding bribes from SEC or Oteh, and yet he was removed from his committee chairmanship (and subjected to a trial), why hasn't Oteh suffered the same fate? Both of them accused each other of serious infractions; why is Oteh's accusation more credible to you than Hembe's? More so when the former has been put though a judical process and yet has so far not been vindicated? The standard practice in more civilised societies is that accused persons would step down from their posts when they are accused - rightly or wrongly - of serious infractions, even if they are later found innocent. Remember Dominique Strauss-Kahn? Why the hell is Oteh still there? Because she is sucking Mr. President's executive ballz? Or because she is the only "Harvard-educated" Nigerian that is qualified to be DG of SEC? Please.

Guy, your post irritates me so much that I cannot resist asking you to SHUT YOUR TRAPS!!!!

You, like Hembe and other members of that House of Corruption know next to nothing when it comes to capital market operations. Can you imagine Hembe and the House asking why SEC did not protect the investment of shareholders of the failed banks? Is protecting investment decisions the job of SEC? So SEC is supposed to manipulate share prices like Okereke did in NSE so that investors would sustain their investments? Is it this house spewing rubbish that are worth believing?

I pity Nigeria and its democracy! So, it is now the job of the National Assembly to hire and fire for the executives?? Anyone that exposes shameless appetite for looting is tainted and demonized and castigated without sufficient proof.

I pity Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by SkyBlue1: 1:01am On Oct 19, 2012
pro01:

Lol. Bros, were you the intermediary between the biitch and Hembe in the alleged bribery episode? How/why did you come to the conclusion that she is [wrongly] being maligned just because she refused to give "bribe" to Hembe and his committee? Because she herself alleged so? Or because the media reported so? Did the media not also report Oteh's corrupt/irresponsible actions as alleged by Hembe's committee? Why do you subjectively choose to believe the former and ignore the latter?

Why do you prefer to ignore the fact that Hembe also accused Oteh of indulging in corrupt practices and breaching public service regulations? She was accused of spending TAX PAYERS money to the tune of N850,000 on food and refreshments in one day, and staying in a hotel (Transcorp Hilton) on TAX PAYERS' bill for over 8 months, during which she wasted over N30 million of Tax Payers' money - in brazen disregard for public service rules:
www.premiumtimesng.com/business/4233-sec_boss_arunma_oteh_spent_n850_000_on_food_for_a_day.html
www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/equities/39946-investors-lose-n131b-as-dangote-stumbles.html

Now, I watched the committee proceedings live. Since she could not defend her excesses, she resorted to what biitches like her do best: she shed crocodile tears and accused the committee of demanding a bribe from her, and claimed that it was because she refused to give the bribe that she was being 'victimised'. Why did she not convincingly DENY the allegations against her, but chose instead to spew counter-allegations?

I don't need to reveal what I know or what I don't know. Since your arguments are based on newspaper reports, I would also limit my argument to newspaper reports. Now, since NO court has found Hembe guilty of demanding bribes from SEC or Oteh, and yet he was removed from his committee chairmanship (and subjected to a trial), why hasn't Oteh suffered the same fate? Both of them accused each other of serious infractions; why is Oteh's accusation more credible to you than Hembe's? More so when the former has been put though a judical process and yet has so far not been vindicated? The standard practice in more civilised societies is that accused persons would step down from their posts when they are accused - rightly or wrongly - of serious infractions, even if they are later found innocent. Remember Dominique Strauss-Kahn? Why the hell is Oteh still there? Because she is sucking Mr. President's executive ballz? Or because she is the only "Harvard-educated" Nigerian that is qualified to be DG of SEC? Please.

And since when did the Nigerian judiciary, EFCC, ICPC (and all the other nonefective acronyms we have managed to come up with) become a credible standard for justice? If that is the case then Nigeria is the most uncorrupt country in the world since I can't count beyond or up to the five fingers on one hand, how many public officers have been thrown in jail for corruption. A joke of a country, next thing Lawan will turn to saint. One thing that seems certain in Nigeria is that if you steal big, you WILL get away with it, and this administration has shown NO headway in fighting corruption.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by bigtt76(f): 1:01am On Oct 19, 2012
Abeg joor ...make NASS go sidon bo! Na dem de control stocks? We need job and good powerin this country and not to forget the need to stamp out corruption. Farouk den cousin atill de der and notin about him from dem na woman den wan harrass ...I guess they're broke again. Nonsense.

semid4lyfe: The Senate has called for the removal of the Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Arunmah Oteh.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Capital Market, Senator Ayoade Ademola Adeseun (ACN, Oyo), who made the call in a statement today, said the Senate backed the Lower Chamber in its resolution asking President Goodluck Jonathan to relieve Oteh of her job.

He said the committee was constrained to call for her removal to save the nation’s capital market from imminent collapse.

According to him, the committee noted that since Oteh's return, the commission has been plagued with series of protests that have pitted her against the staff.

"You will recall that the House of Representatives, few months ago, set up an Ad-hoc committee which investigated the "Near Collapse of the Nigerian Capital Market. Consequently, the House passed a resolution based on the report of that committee that the president should sack the Director General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Ms. Arunmah Oteh.

"The House further resolved that should the president fail to comply with its resolution, the House would cease to accord any recognition to the SEC DG. You are also aware that instead of complying with that resolution of the House, the SEC DG was reinstated in a flagrant disregard of the resolution”, he said.

The lawmaker said its committee observed that the way the embattled DG was running the commission could further destroy the capital market and concluded that “if this trend is not arrested, the Nigerian capital market might be brought finally to its knees, with attendant deleterious effect on the economy of the country”.

"The committee, therefore, resolved to support the position of the House of Representatives that the SEC DG be removed forthwith. The committee also resolved to have nothing to do with Arunmah Oteh for as long as she remains at the helm of affairs at the SEC", he said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/179168-senate-calls-for-otehs-sack
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by free2ryhme: 7:25am On Oct 19, 2012
alaoeri: Mstcheeeeew for these legislooters, oteh shld continue her work bt just doesn't like her pomposity.

do u have a problem with the way she goes about her job as DG Sec or her personality? i think you are confused
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 7:53am On Oct 19, 2012
Sky Blue:

And since when did the Nigerian judiciary, EFCC, ICPC (and all the other nonefective acronyms we have managed to come up with) become a credible standard for justice? If that is the case then Nigeria is the most uncorrupt country in the world since I can't count beyond or up to the five fingers on one hand, how many public officers have been thrown in jail for corruption. A joke of a country, next thing Lawan will turn to saint. One thing that seems certain in Nigeria is that if you steal big, you WILL get away with it, and this administration has shown NO headway in fighting corruption.

The bottom line is Hembe has been punished (removed from committee chairmanship) and he is still in court for the bribery allegations. What is or has been Oteh's punishment so far for the below or are we saying it didnt happen at all? has she defended herself against these allegations? what was her defence?

Of a truth, Hembe sucks, but Oteh is rotten. I want both of them out.

Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by werone: 8:34am On Oct 19, 2012
Is removing all these officers from office enough punishment for crime commited? Where is this country heading? So, the jails we have is only for the poor masses! SMH!!!
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 19, 2012
Demdem:

The bottom line is Hembe has been punished (removed from committee chairmanship) and he is still in court for the bribery allegations. What is or has been Oteh's punishment so far for the below or are we saying it didnt happen at all? has she defended herself against these allegations? what was her defence?

keep quiet , Anytime ur ppl cant steal from a source, any person in charge is incapable and must be removed. bloody theives, Ndi should be ashame of herself fighting OTEH because she refused to be used like she was used by OBJ to steal money
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by jege456: 9:02am On Oct 19, 2012
afam4eva: I think this personal have a hidden vendetta against this woman.
What exactly is there grouse with her?

i quite agree with you. i wonder why this 7 Legislature thinks it can muscle the executive? they keep making resolutions and insisting that that executive abide by their resolutions. what makes them think their resolutions must be obeyed? do they think the executive is subject to them? maybe they want to surrepticiously turn themselves into the de facto executive arm of government by making laws and also directing the executive on how to run the country?

then when an aide of the president subtly reminds them that their resolutions are merely persuasive they take offence and pass a resolution asking the president to keep his "dogs" in check. i also wonder if they think they are the only ones that have the exclusive right say their mind? they want to silence any voice that dares speak up against them.

without knowing it, they do not know that majority of Nigerians detest them with their grandstanding and posturing.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 9:39am On Oct 19, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

keep quiet , Anytime ur ppl cant steal from a source, any person in charge is incapable and must be removed. bloody theives, Ndi should be ashame of herself fighting OTEH because she refused to be used like she was used by OBJ to steal money

What u said made no sense. Why do u like "tribalising" any issue? are u nut?
What do u mean by ur people?
ur thought process is simply too petty.
My position remain:

Demdem:

Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by tomzman: 10:37am On Oct 19, 2012
Abeg leave this woman alone jare!
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by SkyBlue1: 11:36am On Oct 19, 2012
Demdem:

No need to jump ahead of yourself. Not ignoring accusations on her person, simply challenging the argument that lack of conviction in Nigeria means innocence, as I clearly argue in the post you quoted.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 11:56am On Oct 19, 2012
Sky Blue:

No need to jump ahead of yourself. Not ignoring accusations on her person, simply challenging the argument that lack of conviction in Nigeria means innocence, as I clearly argue in the post you quoted.

I agree, but we cant because of that not at least have faith in our justice system. we still have to.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by FrankC3: 12:40pm On Oct 19, 2012
Demdem:

I agree, but we cant because of that not at least have faith in our justice system. we still have to.

And do you agree that Justice Salami is one of the reasons for the eroding faith in our judicial system? I guess the answer is no because Salami is ACN benefactor.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2012
Frank-C:

And do you agree that Justice Salami is one of the reasons for the eroding faith in our judicial system? I guess the answer is no because Salami is ACN benefactor.

Who are u to determine that? Is it fair to say that the NJC that gave him a clean bill against his earlier suspension is also ACN benefactor
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by SkyBlue1: 1:02pm On Oct 19, 2012
Demdem:

Well quite frankly speaking the justice system hasn't given us a reason to have faith in them. Given our history, trust has to be earned.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by stannydon(m): 3:52pm On Oct 19, 2012
Nwa Teacher: Politics everywhere in Nigeria. because this woman was strict, honest and prudent, thatz why nigerian politicians are after her. She exposed some politicians who siphoned govt money and the levelled some alligations against her which was later noticed by Mr president that the woman is innocent and she was renstated. Why this same political cabals are still against this woman. I sensed the hands of d former DG and his cousin deputy speaker who put his wife in SEC without due process pushing this matter up. Plz u pple shld allow this woman 2 perform b4 u crucify her
God bless you my brother. You have said it all and people should try and ask question before concluding to judgement. This is exactly what is in mind
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by taharqa: 4:15pm On Oct 19, 2012
Demdem:

And she was suspended on accounts of these accusatns. An international Audit firm( i think PriceWatersCorpers) was askd to investigate the allegatns, and their virdict was that these accusatns were mainly false but also determind that Oteh needed to improve on what they calld ' Administrative Lapses'; it was on the basis of this that she was recalld.....does it not seem odd to you that d only 'substantial' point the strong forces against her have is that she 'wastd money with hotels and refreshments'( not that she stool them)- when these same national assembly members are probably the most wasteful in d country. Until substantial reasons are presentd against her, i say leave her alone

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/protest-mars-arunma-oteh-s-reinstatement/120357/
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by FrankC3: 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2012
^
Don't mind Demdem. FG requested the help of an international audit coy to audit Oteh and found her clean, save for team leadership challenges which the FG consider not to be enough reason to push her aside. Demdem thinks that she should still go but Salami should stay. I marvel at his hypocrisy. Anyway, that ACN's trademark, 'Lie' Mohammed has a line up of 'capable' successors...
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2012
taharqa: And she was suspended on accounts of these accusatns. An international Audit firm( i think PriceWatersCorpers) was askd to investigate the allegatns, and their virdict was that these accusatns were mainly false but said Oteh needed to improve on what they calld ' Administrative Lapses'; it was on the basis of this that she was recalld.....does it not seem odd to you that d only 'substantial' point the strong forces against her have is that she 'wastd money with hotels and refreshments'( not that she stool them)- when these same national members do are probably the most wasteful in d country. Until substantial reasons are presentd against her, i say learn her alone

Exactly what i am looking for. if true this was done then case closed. never knew such happened and its good to know that it was investigated.
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by Demdem(m): 4:36pm On Oct 19, 2012
Frank-C:
^
Don't mind Demdem. FG requested the help of an international audit coy to audit Oteh and found her clean, save for team leadership challenges which the FG consider not to be enough reason to push her aside. Demdem thinks that she should still go but Salami should stay. I marvel at his hypocrisy. Anyway, that ACN's trademark, 'Lie' Mohammed has a line up of 'capable' successors...

My friend shut it. Did u mention the above before now? kudos to taharga for shedding more light.

This case and that of salami arent the same. NJC has investigated all these allegations against him and found him not wanting. or is it that all members of NJC now answer to Tinubu or what? what else do u want. At times i wonder how u killer party members reason
Re: Senate Calls For Arunmah Oteh's Sack by otokx(m): 5:09pm On Oct 19, 2012
why are they after this woman?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shutting Down National Grid Is Criminal, Police Warn Protesters / 3 Boko-Haram Members Killed, 31 Arrested In Maiduguri / Chibok: I Am Not Uncaring As Portrayed - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.