Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,656 members, 7,924,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 02:28 AM

Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? (13579 Views)

If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Nigeria Is Finished! I Am Ashamed Of My Country - Pics / Why APC Can’t Be Ashamed Of Aregbesola – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Never have never will.
#Proud Nigerian. cool
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by redsun(m): 5:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Being ashamed of being a nigerian is like being ashamed of being yourself.I am never ashamed of being an african and i am never ashamed of condemning the ills of africa either.Because by being ashamed of it,it means you are not ready to deal with it.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 2mch(m): 5:45am On Oct 24, 2012
Being Nigerian is a terrible liability. The worst of it all is when you try to point out the criminals, they don't even look well-fed upon all the billions they steal, they don't look better than poverty stricken Nigerians. lipsrsealed cry. The truth is the country is a total and abysmal failure. Absolutely nothing to be proud of or patriotic about. Those looking for a future in finance abroad, avoid any links with Nigeria. Just claim Gabon, Cameroon or Sierra leone. If you say naija for life, when hunger strikes you go die o. Truth is bitter.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 6:20am On Oct 24, 2012
cjrane:
Bros, you can speak all your grammar and make all the pretenses in the world about the issue. Good for you. I am not talking about African Americans in their hood or some other ill informed population.Perhaps you have never held a very sensitive position before in a global bank such as RBS. If you did, you will understand completely that merely speaking the word " Nigerian" makes many of your customers very uneasy about dealing with you. I would not worry if you "air brush" this concern because you have never dealt with people in the population i am dealing with,but someday, by God's grace you shall get there. I hope you will remember that this was perhaps what Cjrane was expressing to you years back.You will see how uncomfortable people will feel giving you their sensitive information after you've answered the question "Where are you originally from? "

What branch of RBS is that? Where people or customers ask of people's Nationalities before releasing their details? Iv had transactions in many banks like barclays, lloyds, natwest and I havent heard or seen such a thing.

But if people are more interested in your nationality before they deal with you, then you might wanna speak with your a superior because I meet lots of Indians everywhere but I can for the fact they are Indians behave snide or racist to them despite the fact that I frankly don't trust them. Most companies have their call centres in India yet people hand over credit/debit card details to them without fear.

As for you saying I haven't worked or been in a co-operate environment, well all I can say is - " you don't know me " for starters I'm a Cambridge grad, that's all il say.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 24, 2012
Proudly Naija!!

How can I be ashamed to be from Nigeria?? I'm yet to meet someone from any country that would make me ashamed of my own country, WTF??
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Guyofguys(m): 6:27am On Oct 24, 2012
Laffu wan kee me die! Omo meeehn, bone o!! I have always and will continue 2b ashamed of being a Nigerian....as long as i knw that we're under the Leadership of ''President Dr. Badluck Chinebere Osuofia'' grin(Gudluck Jonah)cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 6:29am On Oct 24, 2012
2mch: Being Nigerian is a terrible liability. The worst of it all is when you try to point out the criminals, they don't even look well-fed upon all the billions they steal, they don't look better than poverty stricken Nigerians. lipsrsealed cry. The truth is the country is a total and abysmal failure. Absolutely nothing to be proud of or patriotic about. Those looking for a future in finance abroad, avoid any links with Nigeria. Just claim Gabon, Cameroon or Sierra leone. If you say naija for life, when hunger strikes you go die o. Truth is bitter.

Jeez! Hahaha! Well I couldn't agree with you more but claiming to be from Sierra leone, Gabon or Cameroon, is it not like claiming to have HIV instead of malaria?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Guyofguys(m): 6:30am On Oct 24, 2012
smileybuh sha...even though wid the bad situation of things...anywhere I go...iRepNIGERIA...its my land...omo yoruba 2 dah core...nothing do we Nigerians jare...all we need is good and effecient leadership..!
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by clip: 6:30am On Oct 24, 2012
50calibre:

What branch of RBS is that? Where people or customers ask of people's Nationalities before releasing their details? Iv had transactions in many banks like barclays, lloyds, natwest and I havent heard or seen such a thing.

But if people are more interested in your nationality before they deal with you, then you might wanna speak with your a superior because I meet lots of Indians everywhere but I can for the fact they are Indians behave snide or racist to them despite the fact that I frankly don't trust them. Most companies have their call centres in India yet people hand over credit/debit card details to them without fear.

As for you saying I haven't worked or been in a co-operate environment, well all I can say is - " you don't know me " for starters I'm a Cambridge grad, that's all il say.

God bless you, 50calibre
I may see some reasons to hate been a Nigerian but not strong enough to make me hate my Beloved Nigeria. Every countries have their peculiar problem.
I live,breath and shall Die A Nigerian.
Some countries,want me to be their citizen.
Any where I go, am happy to displace my Nigeria Passport.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Adamsdelrio(m): 6:31am On Oct 24, 2012
Nothing will ever make me feel ashamed of my country! Nigerian blood flows in my veins.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Adufaye(m): 6:32am On Oct 24, 2012
hv neva bin ashamed,nd i wil neva...

Wer dey is gud,der is bad....
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 6:37am On Oct 24, 2012
No matter how hard I try to defend Nigeria, I will be a liar if I say im not slightly ashamed although I try not to let people know so to not look like someone with inferiority complex.

Anytime I see Nigeria on TV, the roads, the buses, the people around seem to have very oily faces, even our policemen look malnourished with oversized uniforms.

After watching Rick Ross's hold me back video, cry wan hungry me
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Lizzylois(f): 6:38am On Oct 24, 2012
Proudly Nigerian.we should always appreciate nd be contented wit whatever we have."Even the worst person has his/her good days,"IRepNija"and always proud to be one.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 6:49am On Oct 24, 2012
clip:

God bless you, 50calibre
I may see some reasons to hate been a Nigerian but not strong enough to make me hate my Beloved Nigeria. Every countries have their peculiar problem.
I live,breath and shall Die A Nigerian.
Some countries,want me to be their citizen.
Any where I go, am happy to displace my Nigeria Passport.

Thanks joor! At least their are still few people proud of Nigeria
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 24, 2012
Have I ever been ashamed of being a nigerian? Yep everytime I log into nairaland and see all the tribalistic rants from my fellow country men
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Freiburger(m): 6:55am On Oct 24, 2012
@ topic, for what reason? the fact that i possess an additional nationality still doesen't make me ashamed of my father land, i can only make the best out of being a Nigerian.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by timilehin007(m): 7:00am On Oct 24, 2012
re@lchange:
undecided undecided embarassed

question should be "have you ever been proud to be a nigerian?"
. You are so on point. The question should exactly has been asked that way. And my answer wouldn be, ever since i was born to в̍̍̍̍̊e̶̲̥̅̊ a Nigerian i have never bn proud being a naija not just that i regretted being a nigeria so many times base on so many circumstances i tell you
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Ranoscky(m): 7:38am On Oct 24, 2012
NEVER !!!
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by victorD3: 7:38am On Oct 24, 2012
Yeah I remember a typical case when I was watching a tv program about UK border control. A Nigerian illegal immigrant was caught in London and was to be deported and he was crying very annoyingly that he sold his family land to travel down to the UK. The worst bit was when he started kneeling while begging and crying that his brothers will kill him on getting back to 9ja because he sold their land. My British girlfriend had to tune to another channel to save me from the embarrassment as she was there with all her family.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by thelastPope(m): 7:40am On Oct 24, 2012
Dem don come again with this their rubbish threads. If you are ashamed of yourself please park well and stop occupying space.

I have a Ghanian friend in Europe who have been begging me to help him get a Nigerian passport. I asked him why he needs a Nigerian passport when Ghana probably has a better image than Nigeria. He told me that Naija is the passport to have. That the white guys there don't mess with you if you have a Naija passport. They can talk to you anyhow if you are from other African countries but once they hear you are Naija, they arrange themselves.

How can Nigeria change when we have a bunch of citizens with identity crisis talking trash on a public forum. Is it in Naija that people are being shot en mass in cinema halls and offices? Have you seen any American come out to say they are ashamed of being American? Have you seen any Greek citizens say he is ashamed of being Greek? You only hear that nonsense from confused peeps here on NL. Please you people should find another forum to spill your BS! This is NAIRALAND! NAIJA PLAY GROUND! Get off our freaking site and go nationalise in Afghanistan!

PROUDLY AND LOUDLY NIGERIAN!!!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by dareyking(m): 7:44am On Oct 24, 2012
As far i de lik aliko dangote,wale adenuga,oyedepo den i wil alwayz be Reppin For Ma City...R.F.M.C
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 24, 2012
@Topic

Yes, so many times. I have lost count. I remember a convo I had with one Australian.

Him: So where are you from

ME: Australia

Him: So you are an Aussie citizen

Me: Yes and you?

HIM: Aussie Aussie Aussie

ME: Oi Oi Oi. (Hoping he will drop it but for where?) undecided

Him: But where are you from ORIGINALLY, I really love meeting people from different cultural backgrounds and what not.

ME: I said I am an Australian citizen born and bred, which part of my previous answer don't you understand? The Aust or the RALIA?. angry

.......The dude just gently replied ....."Oh sorry, thought it was by NATURALIZATION, I'm sorry aiight?"......Me: No worries

My Hubby was with me that day and almost shat on his pant laughing. He was like "pay me to shut up now o, else I will go tell him you are a LAGOS babe"
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 24, 2012
victorD3: Yeah I remember a typical case when I was watching a tv program about UK border control. A Nigerian illegal immigrant was caught in London and was to be deported and he was crying very annoyingly that he sold his family land to travel down to the UK. The worst bit was when he started kneeling while begging and crying that his brothers will kill him on getting back to 9ja because he sold their land. My British girlfriend had to tune to another channel to save me from the embarrassment as she was there with all her family.

LMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin Sharp babe your gf. I think I saw that some time ago grin grin grin. Have you traveled to some countries with your Naija passport and seen the way they double check your identity against your passport? I traveled with my cousins to another country last year for a 2 week vacation, I breezed through customs like say I wasn't even there. They had to wait at the side because they carried their Nigerian passport.

What a shame
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 24, 2012
violent:

Yeaah! this is how we rock!!!

When you are done rocking, you can watch the Aluu video from here

http://www.todaysnigeria.com/2012/10/allu-village-video-of-brutal-murder-of_9.html

then let me know if your high school explanation and your somewhat immature conclusion that we don't owe anyone any explanations still apply.

In the meantime, enjoy rocking!!

Abeg leave me oooo grin grin grin grin

Tutone22: Always ashamed especially when travelling out of Nigeria, to another country with that passport that makes you look like a thief.

LWKMD. I understand my brother grin grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 24, 2012
2mch: Being Nigerian is a terrible liability. The worst of it all is when you try to point out the criminals, they don't even look well-fed upon all the billions they steal, they don't look better than poverty stricken Nigerians. lipsrsealed cry. The truth is the country is a total and abysmal failure. Absolutely nothing to be proud of or patriotic about. Those looking for a future in finance abroad, avoid any links with Nigeria. Just claim Gabon, Cameroon or Sierra leone. If you say naija for life, when hunger strikes you go die o. Truth is bitter.

I once claimed to be from another African country. How can I proudly tell people that I come from that country that molest female criminals in broad day light and burn to ashes male thieves?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by buchibabe: 8:15am On Oct 24, 2012
Na today? I wan ashame dieinfact ashamed is catching me. I'm soooo ashamed of dis country n I feel it more esp wen I watch d tv or hear some nauseatin news abou naija. God dey sha!
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by thelastPope(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2012
jennykadry:

I once claimed to be from another African country. How can I proudly tell people that I come from that country that molest female criminals in broad day light and burn to ashes male thieves?

If you say all these Diasporans are bumheads now, they will start to shout! I have been to 4 countries in Europe with my proud Naija passport. Anyone who doesn't like it can talk to the hand. I don't dock into any country. I come in right through the front door.

Stup1d barbershop, broke azz Nigerians talking trash. You are lost without an identity. The worst thing in life is a man without an identity.

Pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by victorD3: 8:24am On Oct 24, 2012
jennykadry:

LMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin Sharp babe your gf. I think I saw that some time ago grin grin grin. Have you traveled to some countries with your Naija passport and seen the way they double check your identity against your passport? I traveled with my cousins to another country last year for a 2 week vacation, I breezed through customs like say I wasn't even there. They had to wait at the side because they carried their Nigerian passport.

What a shame

Its a known fact that if you ever step out of this country called Nigeria then you will understand that you are not from a country.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 24, 2012
Desola: Have I ever been ashamed of being a Nigerian?

I am always ashamed to say i'm a Nigerian. Always!

VERY FUNNY Confession Muhehehehehe
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 24, 2012
victorD3:

Its a known fact that if you ever step out of this country called Nigeria then you will understand that you are not from a country.

I swear that country is cursed. I am NOT PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN. Stoopid country angry cool
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2012
thelastPope:

If you say all these Diasporans are bumheads now, they will start to shout! I have been to 4 countries in Europe with my proud Naija passport. Anyone who doesn't like it can talk to the hand. I don't dock into any country. I come in right through the front door.

Stup1d barbershop, broke azz Nigerians talking trash. You are lost without an identity. The worst thing in life is a man without an identity.

Pathetic!

.....OH and I love you too kiss kiss kiss
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 24, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Never have never will.
#Proud Nigerian. cool

Why wont you?, When your father is a politcal Hausa a$$ licker from Yoruba land

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Confluence University Students Sing, Praise Yahaya Bello At Matric / Ayade Moves To Ensure 24-hour Power Supply In Calabar / Akume: I’ve Donated My N20m For Nomination Form To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.