Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,365 members, 7,891,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 03:52 PM

Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos (14171 Views)

Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks / Pictures Of The Remodelled Benin Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by manny4life(m): 1:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
naja2: Bloody illitrate sycophants commending the president of the richest black nation on earth and the7th highest exporter of crude oil in for borrowing 550m dollars from china to refurbish our airports out of which about 250m dollars would ve been divertd and genrations to come wil struggle to pay back after 2.3trillion has been looted thru subsidy

First off, back off with your unwarranted insults and make your point

Second, financially speaking, Nigeria is NOT a rich nor wealthy nation, Nigeria is POOR.

Third, the fact Nigeria is the 7th largest oil exporter don't mean jack in 2012. It's not what we export, it's how we're able to fully maximize our resources.

Fourth, it's because we're poor that we go borrowing, however, borrowing IS NOT a bad thing, even rich and wealthy nations such as U.S. in North America, UAE in Middle East, South Africa in Africa, Japan in Asia, Brazil in South America even China in Asia all borrow. All these nations have int/ext debt profiles, although the amount, idk.

Finally, don't start up subsidy talks and claims you cannot defend...
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by Bawss1(m): 2:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
Dee60:

There were no such complaints when MMA2 was opened. Reasons: It was done by the private sector and that is what should be happening to airports now 2/The design, construction and finishing was very good, not just a product of panel beating 3/ It was commissioned new and it wasn't a case of doing fanfare after close to a billion (or even more) was spend panel beating an airport.

Nigerians must learn to challenge the wrongs of government and not sit down wishing that good governance will come without people raising their voices.

Third Mainland bridge has just been repaired and should be declared open today. Should government do another commissioning because of that repair?

BRF, Lagos Governor has done several world-class projects, yet you wont see pictures of commissioning flying around.

You panel beat an airport, use unsafe and inferior tiles, and gather to commission when renovation is still on. Sorry, that is below par!

Do not get me wrong, I admire the Aviation Minister for making an effort and for improving things, and I really do. I only wish that she and others should raise the bar, reject shoddy job and minimize the waste that is accustomed with these 'commissionings'.

Panel beat an airport? Talking about mixed metaphors indeed. angry
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by elliot777: 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
Ridiculous design not fit for this times, and iam sure its technologically backward aswell, the problem with nigeria is just how much mediocre changes impresses us as a people and i would have said it was understandable as we have a very high rate of ignorance and illiteracy in nigeria, but what does bother me is the fact that a lot of people that have got access to the internet and the global world evidently who comment on this thread have no excuse for that sort of ignorance because not ever leaving the shores of Nigeria is no longer an excuse as they can use the internet to see how developed countries live and what standards we ought to be looking up to, we ought to demand more from this people and stop treating them like they are doing us a favour by taking a break from their embezzlement to engage in some mediocre project thats a far cry from what civilized societies are currently engaging in.
The shoddy finishing is visually evident and i dont know if its just me but that is one small building considering the amount spent on it, anyway Nigerians should wise up and speak up everytime this leaders try to whitewash us with dodgy over inflated projects expecting praises from everyone.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by OmoTier1(m): 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
werepeLeri: Most of the people talking about JFK, Heathrow, Oliver Tambo etc are people who havent been to these airports before. 2006 - Oliver Tambo airport was as bad as the remodelled airport - it was refurbished before the World Cup and what's the talk about it. Most people sit on the internet and search for pictures to make a point. How many airports have they been to? I bet none, they just keep talking about mediocrity like they just learnt the word. LOL. What else will you want them to do? Build Airports with Gold? Na wa. The Kotoka airport in Ghana cant even stand MM2- People will just talk no matter what - but then, no be them get their mouth?

So because people smile when government officials are around then means they are boot lickers? That opinion is the worst I have listened to lately. Maybe they should be crying then when they are with govt officials.
Sharrrap there! Task leader gang of 40!... Even if they have not been there, atleast they have seen the pictures on the internet and they know what modern airport should look like. As someone who travels regularly, I have seen enough of what Airports should look like and not that shack! Even here in the UK, I saw two Locally managed international airport and I said to myself.. why can't the FG have even average of what these airports have?

That GAT remodelling is a disgrace. Seeing the entrance alone tells me what low level job they did there. For N600million, the aviation minister ought to be cooling off in a jail in a sane country.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by OmoTier1(m): 7:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
manny4life:

First off, back off with your unwarranted insults and make your point

Second, financially speaking, Nigeria is NOT a rich nor wealthy nation, Nigeria is POOR.

Third, the fact Nigeria is the 7th largest oil exporter don't mean jack in 2012. It's not what we export, it's how we're able to fully maximize our resources.

Fourth, it's because we're poor that we go borrowing, however, borrowing IS NOT a bad thing, even rich and wealthy nations such as U.S. in North America, UAE in Middle East, South Africa in Africa, Japan in Asia, Brazil in South America even China in Asia all borrow. All these nations have int/ext debt profiles, although the amount, idk.

Finally, don't start up subsidy talks and claims you cannot defend...
Nigeria is not rich?.. you need to visit Germany too.. You must be mentally unstable!..Geesh...
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by manny4life(m): 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Nigeria is not rich?.. you need to visit Germany too.. You must be mentally unstable!..Geesh...

Perhaps your mental state is being question. Perhaps you missed the memo, so I will reiterate again,

I said it, Nigeria is a POOR nation. Show me indices that proves Nigeria is a rich wealthy nation.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by werepeLeri: 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Sharrrap there! Task leader gang of 40!... Even if they have not been there, atleast they have seen the pictures on the internet and they know what modern airport should look like. As someone who travels regularly, I have seen enough of what Airports should look like and not that shack! Even here in the UK, I saw two Locally managed international airport and I said to myself.. why can't the FG have even average of what these airports have?

That GAT remodelling is a disgrace. Seeing the entrance alone tells me what low level job they did there. For N600million, the aviation minister ought to be cooling off in a jail in a sane country.

Your fore fathers must be fools and eediots. No wonder you are bootlicking and praise singing anything white. How dare you tell me to sharrap. Animal. Buffon. Make your point if you want to, but next time, if they born your father after your mother, then pass insults on me and see how I will send it back to your stuoopid fore bearers. Goat.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by LeJeun3: 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
The Truth is painful. And that truth is this is not enough! We can do better!
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 31, 2012
elliot777: Ridiculous design not fit for this times, and iam sure its technologically backward aswell, the problem with nigeria is just how much mediocre changes impresses us as a people and i would have said it was understandable as we have a very high rate of ignorance and illiteracy in nigeria, but what does bother me is the fact that a lot of people that have got access to the internet and the global world evidently who comment on this thread have no excuse for that sort of ignorance because not ever leaving the shores of Nigeria is no longer an excuse as they can use the internet to see how developed countries live and what standards we ought to be looking up to, we ought to demand more from this people and stop treating them like they are doing us a favour by taking a break from their embezzlement to engage in some mediocre project thats a far cry from what civilized societies are currently engaging in.
The shoddy finishing is visually evident and i dont know if its just me but that is one small building considering the amount spent on it, anyway Nigerians should wise up and speak up everytime this leaders try to whitewash us with dodgy over inflated projects expecting praises from everyone.

Come on will you shut up your dirty mouth there. What ''shoddy finishing'' are you talking about when it's clearly obvious the project is not fully completed? Just opening your stup.id mouth to talk rubbish. So the govt should build a Dubai style airport before you're happy? And then what happens to education, agric, roads, power, healthcare etc? Talking rubbish about ''civilized countries''. You think civilization is about building flashy airports? Unlike Dubai, our population is huge - 170 million. We cannot afford to expend money on overly flashy airports when there are other priorities, and we don't earn as much money as America, Germany, and your other ''civilized countries''. So we do what sensible, truly civilized nations do - build within our budget. If the airport is not good enough for you, travel by road or sea!
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by ubandire(m): 8:10am On Oct 31, 2012
Ijebulogic:

This is the most brilliant question so far!!!

Honestly those Abuja folks know us Nigerians well. They "package" a shiny building exterior and all of a sudden accolades start flying out from everywhere. Next thing GCON, GCFR, Honorary Doctorates etc.They have been swindling us for 50 years and Nigerians (3rd generation) are still falling for it. For me,I'm not impressed with all the "shine shine" effects when the practicals have not been addressed. I use that airport twice a week and have done so for the last year. I urge everyone that has the opportunity to go and get a close up look at the "Made in China" effort. For example: 1. As asked by @Daywatcher - where are the new conveyor belts?? 2. When are we launching the full body scan machines to curb terrorist attacks (they were bought for millions of dollars and dumped years ago) 3. When will the security personnel be trained on how to scan hand luggage properly (they allow liquids and pastes of any quantity in hand luggage) 4. Why are people STILL not allowed in the waiting area to welcome passengers (Nigeria is the only country in the world where that happens) 5. In 2012, why have the building designers installed about 20 panasonic ACs hapharzardly in the new wing instead of installing a single central AC unit?? If Palms mall etc can install a central ac to cool a mall, why cant the FGN install one for its airport? 6. Why cant the designers install non-slip commercially enforced tiles? It was raining a couple of days ago and as we came into the hall from the tarmac, people were slipping on the "shine shine " tiles like it was an Ice-Rink. Please let me stop here as there are too many issues, but final point - we must not accept mediocre performance from our leaders. Our projects rank as some of the most expensive in the world, so we must have 100% implementation...no less.

Wanted to do some clarifications but discovered in the course of reading through that's certainly one the dumbest arguments I've ever come across.These desperadoes will stop at nothing to discredit this govt,even in the face unprecedented achievements.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by AjanleKoko: 8:52am On Oct 31, 2012
So long as the airport is functional and can be maintained, I care little for the aesthetics.
Someone mentioned the conveyor systems; I hope they have a better solution now. I always try to not check in any bags when I do local travel, solely because of this.

And also, someone said something about allowing people in the arrival area to welcome passengers. I think the main challenge is touting. MMA2 doesn't have any restrictions like that, but you also don't want people milling around for security reasons. I know Nigeria, the place will suddenly get overwhelmed with crowds of touts, pickpockets, taxi drivers, etc. Environmental hazard, unfortunately.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by Ijebulogic(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2012
ubandire:

Wanted to do some clarifications but discovered in the course of reading through that's certainly one the dumbest arguments I've ever come across.These desperadoes will stop at nothing to discredit this govt,even in the face unprecedented achievements.

Sir, i have no "personal interests" in this Government - i'm not a contractor or a psychopant. All i want is a simple, secure airport terminal for my travels. What exactly have i said that is untrue (i often worry when people abuse instead of articulating their thoughts with facts).I await your eye-opening response.
Re: Commissioning Of The Remodelled GAT, MMA, Lagos by tundeosun: 2:45pm On Feb 18, 2013
I just thought I'd mention the fact that although this structure seems to be substandard, It was constructed at a cost under 1Billion Naira within 300 days, by Nigerian engineers and architects. This was an opportunity made by the government for small companies to expand and develop in Nigeria instead of sustaining foreign companies that don't necessarily contribute to the development of the nation.
The only argument that can be made is that there was no thorough planning for this project. For example someone mentioned Gatwick Airport which is privately owned by a Nigerian, I'm not sure if any of you know this, but for the renovation of Gatwick Airport, the company spent millions of GBP on 6 months research to decide what colour and design the airport signs alone should be. If that sort of money and time was to be spent on such planning in Nigeria, half of the country will speculate that the government is wasting money on useless things. I would just like to say that i flew into this airport in June last year and by early August when I flew into it again the steel structure had already being put up. For those of you 'older' Nigerians (btw i'm just a passionate teen who lives abroad and views all sides of the story) how many government funded projects in Nigeria, on the scale of an airport, regardless of the quality, has ever been completed within 300 days. I doubt even the almighty Julius Berger has ever completed a project in such time.
- the picture shows the final design that was chosen for the signs at Gatwick airport after 6 months of deliberations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Southern, Northern Leaders Warn Against Removal Of Seiyefa, DSS DG / Anambra Kidnappers Want Gun, N4m As Ransom For Our Members, Cows — Miyetti Allah / 2023: I’ll Do The Bidding Of Nigerians Not Few Individuals - Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.