Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,314 members, 7,928,996 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 07:20 AM

Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? (21628 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Shocking!! Couple Find Dead Lizard Inside Canned Tomato Sauce (photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by thrugemaster(m): 12:53am On Nov 02, 2012
It was his swagger stick that had a crocodile carving
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by ayobase(m): 12:54am On Nov 02, 2012
igbo boy:

Wrong...he is a Yoruba bearing an igbo moniker

Mr. Man, u wanna turn this thread battle ground?
Cant u just eucate and move on?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Richy4(m): 1:00am On Nov 02, 2012
You created a topic that warrants bashing bro. and u said no bashing. I guess you have encountered Igbo people around,how many of them have u seen walking around with lizard? I believe in Nigeria,there are igbo men and women that are into politics and are lawmakers.how many have you seen on TV with lizard.This beer parlor question should not have seen the light of the day on this forum my brother.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Korrection(m): 1:03am On Nov 02, 2012
OP stop saying what you dont know..
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by NovusHomo(m): 1:17am On Nov 02, 2012
Okija juju, simple grin grin grin
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by jkross(m): 1:26am On Nov 02, 2012
Agiliti: wow....such ignorant posts especially about a former head of state

agu = lion/beast,
iyi = water/river
so aguiyi means beast of the water...or crocodile

Johnson was his sister's husbands last name and that's the name he took as his first name : Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi

the dead lizard you people are talking about is most likely his swagger stick that was carved to look like a crocodile (his name)

Abeg lion no be Agu..its called odum while Agu is tiger..and not beast K̶̲̥̅̊

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by babaskool(m): 1:31am On Nov 02, 2012
maybe becos he was running mad......dead lizard...lmao
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by cosmatika(m): 1:37am On Nov 02, 2012
babaskool: maybe becos he was running mad......dead lizard...lmao
which skl u be baba for? Mumu. U no hia sey no be lizard(whether dead or alive). His name is Aguiyi which is crocodile in Igbo language. He had to carve a wooden crocodile to make d name swaggalisous. Anyway, both u and d op na dumb freaks

4 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by NegroNtns(m): 1:52am On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks: I was told that Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi walked around when he was commander-in-chief with a dead, treated lizard in his hand.

Is there a cultural or political reason for this and do some Igbo's still practice this act? Did Ironsi believe that he derived some sort of supernatural power from this lizard?

Please no bashing, I simply seek to be informed.

I sincerely believe that humans generally are intimate with nature, whether itis the soil, the animals and beasts, the wind and fire, the stars and moon or for that matter death and reincarnation. Our obsession with life gives us the reality also of mortality. The two are connected and each has its own rhythym and drumbeat.

Without a pre-knowledge of the owner and just by a casual inspection it is easy in America to identify vehicle ownership by race.

White people are fond of death symbols like skulls and bones and also of racy fire. This is the cosmic drumbeat that their soul resonate to.

Black people also hear a cosmic drumbeat and our soul respond to the rhythym of life.

In order for us to preserve life we sacrifice something in death. By keeping a dead animal on him Aguiyi was not necessarily doing harm or acting bad, he was preserving life. Nothing wrong with that!

To the dumbos that ask in wonder why anyone should carry dead animal on them in 2012......I ask you, why do people still tattoo animal prints on their skin in 2012?

The one who carry the tanned dead animal and the person who etched an ink motif of a beast on their skin.....both are gripped by the same unconscious factor of mortal life.

_chucks, since you live in bokoharam territory and have refused to grow beard I suggest you go get a live tortoise to wear around your neck. grin

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by OgidiBoy(m): 1:56am On Nov 02, 2012
I'm sure the moderators didn't know this thread was created just to bash Ironsi and to start another Igbo vs Yoruba nonsense. I'm sure the moderators

don't know that if the but this on the front page of NL the thread would generate more traffic to the thread.

And you wonder why NL is just a hangout for bigots.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by NegroNtns(m): 2:01am On Nov 02, 2012
There are no bigots in NL my friend.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 02, 2012
All na wash
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by ben4reel: 3:30am On Nov 02, 2012
Hmmm....
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by maxit2(m): 4:01am On Nov 02, 2012
cheesy see Gen. Ironsi's head.

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 4:08am On Nov 02, 2012
It could be for Swaggs,or protection,either way,pls don't turn it to a tribal war.

Cos no tribe is immune from its leaders using diabolical means for protection,even in the 21st century.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pappy2000: 4:28am On Nov 02, 2012
Can someone educate me more on the killing by danjuma
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by DonaldGenes(m): 4:39am On Nov 02, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

I heard the same story about Ironsi and the crocodile abi lizard as well and it doesnt call for insults anyways.

I was told it gave him some supernatural powers, but ironsi is not here to confirm such news/rumor. It has nothing to do with being Igbo. His babalawo or jujuman could be Hausa or Yoruba.

So you indirectly wanna imply that yoruba's are the juju depot of 9ja
Hahhahahaha
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by supereagle(m): 5:21am On Nov 02, 2012
It was a carved crocodile shaped Swaggs given to him by an Hausa man.The man acepted it as a symbol of his name.It was not a fetish object as some people claimed.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by chucky234(m): 5:51am On Nov 02, 2012
maxi-t:
cheesy see Gen. Ironsi's head.
Mad man on parade
LWKMD
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by larrymoore(m): 6:26am On Nov 02, 2012
Dont blame a general 4 fortifying himself. He is only being smart. Ironsi Smart.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Classicalman(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Thanks. So Aguiyi was not his real name, I believe Aguiyi means lizard in Igbio, no?
Aguiyi in Igbo stands for Crocodile. Just as Kadauna stands for crocodile in hausa. Soldiers who served with Gen Ironsi during the peace keeping wars said he always had that swagger stick with him. I think it meant something of an authority and also power for him.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Classicalman(m): 7:38am On Nov 02, 2012
berem: Whaaat! Did I hear Lizard? Dammit! I hate that creature! "Pukes and Runs out of thread" angry
Nwoke m, so lizard now stands for Aguiyi in your place? I thot it was ngwere.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Knaruto(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2012
that staff or swagger or whatever it was called held immense power. Its not just an ordinary thing. And assuming J.T.U was with it during d time of his mud, he wont have died.(confirmed story from a lieutenant during the first coup)
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by kettykin: 8:02am On Nov 02, 2012
few facts about the man Aguiyi:
he was the first chief of Army staff,
he was the first Military Head of state ,
he was the first General of the Army ,
he was the first Black ADC to the Queen,
he was the first Black commander of UN peace keeping force,
he is igbo from Umuahia abia state,
he was over 6feet 6 inches,a giant by any standard
He had an inept and liverless coward deputy :Babafemi ogundipe whose only achievement in office was running off to london after the second coup

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by naptu2: 8:03am On Nov 02, 2012
Danjuma gave orders that Ironsi should be taken to a detention centre.

A private tapped Danjuma on the soldier and berated him and other officers for standing and watching while their seniors were killed. "Which arrest? Which detention? The man will just disappear with his crocodile".
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 02, 2012
An he was THE FIRST HEAD OF STATE TO HOLD DEAD CROCODILE AND WORK AROUND LIKE JUJU MUGU ! grin grin grin
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 02, 2012
Couldn't be more apt. I know ndu_chuks is just another boko gay sympathizer on this nairaland. Am sure ndu_chuks is saddened cos Ihejerika has crushed boko boys and now they want to surrender.

agu = lion/beast,
iyi = water/river

Johnson was his sister's husbands last name and that's the name he took as his first name : Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi

the dead lizard you people are talking about is most likely his swagger stick that was carved to look like a crocodile (his name)
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Youngzedd(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2012
naptu2: Some of the soldiers that kidnapped him believed that the lizard gave him the power to disappear. They believed that it was the lizard that enabled him to escape when he was captured in the Congo.

Crocodile not Lizard, read others post b4 posting to avoid making the same mistake that was corrected earlier.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Youngzedd(m): 8:38am On Nov 02, 2012

[b]agu = lion/beast,
iyi = water/river[b]

I disagree with the highlighted text.

Where did u get that from.
The name is Aguiyi which means Crocodile while dividing the name into two with their meanings.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Youngzedd(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2012
Classicalman: Nwoke m, so lizard now stands for Aguiyi in your place? I thot it was ngwere.

No mind those JJC.
They claim to know igbo lang.
I thought this has been corrected.
Even the thread owner no fit modify his post *sh1t*

This thread means something else @Ndi Igbo ibe m, nee anyi na signature onye nwe threadia.

He is indirectly want to cause another form of arguement this morning.

Case closed.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nagoma(m): 8:56am On Nov 02, 2012
Agiliti: the dead lizard you people are talking about is most likely his swagger stick that was carved to look like a crocodile (his name)

I think this is the truth. But I don't mind if they assume other things and bash Ironsi.I don't speak ill of the dead.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘stop Making Mockery Of Governance’ PDP Tells APC / Aisha Buhari Visits Oba Akiolu Of Lagos / I Did Not Write Any Letter To The President's Chief Of Staff - Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.