Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,286 members, 7,928,932 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 05:20 AM

Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? (21627 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Shocking!! Couple Find Dead Lizard Inside Canned Tomato Sauce (photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Abbey2sam(m): 8:56am On Nov 02, 2012
just passing by
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nagoma(m): 8:59am On Nov 02, 2012
larrymoore: Dont blame a general 4 fortifying himself. He is only being smart. Ironsi Smart.

Did it really work? The dead lizard did nothing to help Ironsi while those rascal soldiers in his command were slitting his throat.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by dnawah(m): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Thanks. So Aguiyi was not his real name, I believe Aguiyi means lizard in Igbio, no?
agu means tiger while iyi means river.simply it is river's tiger which is a crocodille
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 02, 2012
LOL. . .

I remember some Generals in the 1990s that were kneeling down, crying and begging a Major 'not to tell Oga'
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by hakanai(m): 9:07am On Nov 02, 2012
Shows okija don dey since Imo river!Its a gift from Okija under certain terms lipsrsealed !!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Pain(m): 9:15am On Nov 02, 2012
thrugemaster: It was his swagger stick that had a crocodile carving

@thrugemaster. Do u have a military background? I ask because of your use of the term "Swagger Stick".
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Ikwerefistson: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Thanks. So Aguiyi was not his real name, I believe Aguiyi means lizard in Igbio, no?
hs real names re general johnson thompson umunakwe ironsi.aguyi in ibo means crocodile.dats wer he got hs nick name
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by redsun(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2012
Why should this thread make front page?Has it been authenticated?You muderfuckers just talk BS nad tend take urselves seriously,like kids listening to folk stories in a village square on moonlit night.

Does this explain why nigerian adults are child like?Their leaders that lived five or six decades ago seems mythical to them,as if they are talking of bigfoot or moses.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by jaybee(f): 9:29am On Nov 02, 2012
maxi-t:
cheesy see Gen. Ironsi's head.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/870639_BCEB5CCB2CCA3CCA3CCA3CCA5hi20wACC85CCB2CCB6CCA520CCB7yC58BCEB5CCB2CCA3CCA3CCA3CCA5_jpg6dc6e923c0e14b0a26491bd559fd1ec9

men!! you nogo kill me wit lafter. oh girl !!!!

thanx for the lafter therapy.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by callobi4me: 9:32am On Nov 02, 2012
Ironsi ws a top nigerian walking around with a dead or life lizard don,t mean anything
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by kaeto(m): 9:35am On Nov 02, 2012
sherry lo: Whatever it was for didn't save him from Danjuma.
yea, thats true, anyone could be killed, just like the sarduna of sokoto, tafawa balewa, awolowo, mko, gomwalk, murtala,ken sarowiwa, abacha, isaac boro, lincoln, funsho williams,bola ige. Nigeria was established in blood and it's foundation on extreme ethnicity loath and bigotry
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Ejine(m): 9:38am On Nov 02, 2012
@OP

'Aguiyi' means 'Crocodile/Alligator' in Igbo.

Agu - Beast/Tiger
Iyi - Stream

That is, 'Beast of the Stream' - Crocodile

It's a nickname he picked.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Slizbeat(m): 9:40am On Nov 02, 2012
His swagger stick has no power of such, its just a symbol of authority. Aguiyi is more of a title just like Ogbuefi, Idiebuteaku, Ogbuokiri, Agu, Ikenga e.t.c
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 02, 2012
kaeto: yea, thats true, anyone could be killed, just like the sarduna of sokoto, tafawa balewa, awolowo, mko, gomwalk, murtala,ken sarowiwa, abacha, isaac boro, lincoln, funsho williams,bola ige. Nigeria was established in blood and it's foundation on extreme ethnicity loath and bigotry

So true. No wonder we are going through sh*t.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by redsun(m): 9:47am On Nov 02, 2012
Crocodile has survived on earth for over 400 millions,you guys have been here for mere thousands,yet,you are on your way out becase of fundamental f-oolishness like this,while crocoodile will remain.

Cant you see the symbolism and awe a wiseman like Ironsi has for the crocs?

ODES.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 10:59am On Nov 02, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

_chucks, since you live in bokoharam territory and have refused to grow beard I suggest you go get a live tortoise to wear around your neck. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by MOREWLL: 11:11am On Nov 02, 2012
The wooden crocodile is just a symbol of his name Aguiyi(lion of sea or river)Igbo name for crocodile
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nku5: 11:47am On Nov 02, 2012
On point. It symbolised his "ofo"

Slizbeat: His swagger stick has no power of such, its just a symbol of authority. Aguiyi is more of a title just like Ogbuefi, Idiebuteaku, Ogbuokiri, Agu, Ikenga e.t.c
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 11:51am On Nov 02, 2012
nku5: On point. It symbolised his "ofo"

Please explain what "ofo" means and its significance to the culture or politics of the region.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by aurenflani: 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2012
The lizard was given to him by the then emir of Argungu, as a charm for protection against any kind of harm. That was when Nigerians were living as Nigerians, without these tribal-ethnocentric, religious bigotry. How many even know that he speaks Hausa like a Hausaman? Or he galantly fought during d wwII? That was long b4 the congo war!

The charm had to be struck out of his hand and immediately scattered to pieces by "no name" before he even knew he was being intercepted - for all the soldiers there knew about the dangerous wooden croc.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by 222Martins(m): 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2012
Andro Blaze: In those days and even till now, most officers carried totems/charms for their protection, not having one was even more unusual. This definitely crosses tribal boundaries even though it is more common among particular tribes serving. No big deal at all. I even know personally of a high ranking SW officer that died unnaturally and I just recently found out someone close to him substituted his charm innocently- even after his mother had warned against it.

I am surprised why any true African should be shocked at this.
Exactly my bro.........The last time i checked, Tafa Balogun carried a staff while in office; same goes with Dr Chris Ngige.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 3:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
222Martins: Exactly my bro.........The last time i checked, Tafa Balogun carried a staff while in office; same goes with Dr Chris Ngige.

What Ironsi carried around was not a staff or walking stick, it was a dead lizard/crocodile, probably gutted, dried, and stuffed. Ironsi was said to have carried it around like a purse/wallet in his hand.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Agiliti(m): 3:50pm On Nov 02, 2012
jkross:

Abeg lion no be Agu..its called odum while Agu is tiger..and not beast K̶̲̥̅̊

tigers have never roamed any forests in Africa...EVER. unless in the zoos. where did we see tiger to start giving it specific names?
odum means lion specifically, but agu means beast/lion/tiger/leopard/jaguar pretty much any big cat or fierce animal
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Agiliti(m): 4:03pm On Nov 02, 2012
Youngzedd:

I disagree with the highlighted text.

Where did u get that from.
The name is Aguiyi which means Crocodile while dividing the name into two with their meanings.

where did you get your name from
when you grown into a man or when you finally move from the back to the front would you still be answering young or zed?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 02, 2012
Beer parlour gist. The same way I was told that India was banned from football tournaments because in the past, they used Jazz to 'massacre' their opponents 99-1, and 82-0. Since there's no evidence to support these claims, we might as well write them off as mere fiction.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Smooyis(m): 6:43pm On Nov 02, 2012
What lessons do we learn from these if they are true. We should learn to depend on God and trust in His saving ability.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by alons: 7:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
if you found out, what are you going to do with it? bad thread please remove remove grin cheesy cry
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by CHIMSKY(m): 9:52pm On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Aguiyi is the Igbo word for crocodile.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 10:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
Ikwere fist son: hs real names re general johnson thompson umunakwe ironsi.aguyi in ibo means crocodile.dats wer he got hs nick name

liar...he was born an aguiyi... Aguiyi is indeed his last name....biko e kowara nonsense eba
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Elebiju: 10:57pm On Nov 02, 2012
berem: Whaaat! Did I hear Lizard? Dammit! I hate that creature! "Pukes and Runs out of thread" angry
hmmmmm lizards yummy yummy I love lizard with egusi soup
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 1:19am On Nov 03, 2012
kaeto: yea, thats true, anyone could be killed, just like the sarduna of sokoto, tafawa balewa, awolowo, mko, gomwalk, murtala,ken sarowiwa, abacha, isaac boro, lincoln, funsho williams,bola ige. Nigeria was established in blood and it's foundation on extreme ethnicity loath and bigotry

correct yourself. ANyone can be killed yes...But Ara-wolowo committed suicided biko.

The rest in your list were killed. thanks
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by NegroNtns(m): 8:20am On Nov 03, 2012
Death is death...whether by poison like awo or by aids like ojukwu, all na death.

Igboboy, abi i lie?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Enugu Massacre: South-East Senators Call For Emergency SE/SS Summit / Atiku And His History Of Helping Friends With Public Funds / Wike's Giant Strides In Infrastructural Development Is An Envy To Other States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.