Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,314 members, 7,929,000 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 07:24 AM

Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? (21629 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Shocking!! Couple Find Dead Lizard Inside Canned Tomato Sauce (photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by onatisi(m): 9:13am On Nov 03, 2012
having read all the posts on this topic the following has been established ,ironsi did carried a wooden figure in his hand,the wooden object was believe to have supernatural powers,it was taken away from him before he could be killed.AGUYI IRONSI WAS A FINE SOLDIER AND GREAT MAN
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by tyson55(m): 11:07am On Nov 03, 2012
People like the poster are the reason why certain people in society don't evolve you preach hate and ooze ignorance. SMH!
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Jarus(m): 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2012
aurenflani: The lizard was given to him by the then emir of Argungu, as a charm for protection against any kind of harm. That was when Nigerians were living as Nigerians, without these tribal-ethnocentric, religious bigotry. How many even know that he speaks Hausa like a Hausaman? Or he galantly fought during d wwII? That was long b4 the congo war!

The charm had to be struck out of his hand and immediately scattered to pieces by "no name" before he even knew he was being intercepted - for all the soldiers there knew about the dangerous wooden croc.

Am I the only one that observes that many top Igbo personalities of old were either bron in the north or speak Hausa?

Zik, Ojukwu, Kaduna Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Achebe, Ike Nwachukwu and even new generation like Okorocha
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 3:48pm On Nov 03, 2012
Jarus:
Am I the only one that observes that many top Igbo personalities of old were either bron in the north or speak Hausa?

Zik, Ojukwu, Kaduna Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Achebe, Ike Nwachukwu and even new generation like Okorocha

Jarus, your observation is warranted and spot on.

There has not been any Igbo leader to write home about, who does not share the traits you described. Your observation is one of the reasons why I opened a thread titled Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders

As expected, the usual suspects deemed the thread a Igbo bashing thread and bigoted.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Jarus, your observation is warranted and spot on.

There has not been any Igbo leader to write home about, who does not share the traits you described. Your observation is one of the reasons why I opened a thread titled Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders

As expected, the usual suspects deemed the thread a Igbo bashing thread and bigoted.

these Yoruba boy biko mechie onu..ga cho ihe e ge ji ndu gi me'

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 6:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
igbo boy:

these Yoruba boy biko mechie onu..ga cho ihe e ge ji ndu gi me'

I na-asu bekee? ewu illiterate ka ibu.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by tpia1: 6:45pm On Nov 03, 2012
probably used to identify him, if he kept it on his person all the time.

could be either a plus or a minus, in his own case, depending on who was looking for him.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 7:14pm On Nov 03, 2012
aurenflani: The lizard was given to him by the then emir of Argungu, as a charm for protection against any kind of harm. That was when Nigerians were living as Nigerians, without these tribal-ethnocentric, religious bigotry. How many even know that he speaks Hausa like a Hausaman? Or he galantly fought during d wwII? That was long b4 the congo war!

The charm had to be struck out of his hand and immediately scattered to pieces by "no name" before he even knew he was being intercepted - for all the soldiers there knew about the dangerous wooden croc.

Nigerians have always lived under tribal ethnocentricism, Aguiyi despite the advice of many igbos,chose to ignore that fact, he paid the ultimate price,and plunged ndiigbo into political wilderness and irrelevance in Nigeria.

The story of ironsi must be told by any igbo parent to the children,and must be passed down to generations unborn, they must be able to identify an ironsi character when they see one,and must make sure that the fate of ndiigbo doesn't rest on that character again. We must not let history repeat itself again.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
We don't need western or northern born or cultured leaders again, those brand of leaders failed us. Nzeogwu's efulefusm aka nationalistic spirit led him to start the coup, Ironsi's soft spot for the north plunged us into war,Ojukwu's soft spot for the yorubas(banjo,aluko,awolowo) denied us our only chance of winning that war,don't even get me started on zik.

What ndiigbo need is Dede1/pointB/onlytruth kind of leaders,yes you heard me right ,we need core 'igboists' with no western or northern affliation.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 7:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
pazienza: We don't need western or northern born or cultured leaders again, those brand of leaders failed us. Nzeogwu's efulefusm aka nationalistic spirit led him to start the coup, Ironsi's soft spot for the north plunged us into war,Ojukwu's soft spot for the yorubas(banjo,aluko,awolowo) denied us our only chance of winning that war,don't even get me started on zik.

What ndiigbo need is Dede1/pointB/onlytruth kind of leaders,yes you heard me right ,we need core 'igboists' with no western or northern affliation.

Are you now rejecting the leadership style/achievements of Ikemba, and Okorocha?

The people you are hailing here like Dede1 will never agree with you that Ojukwu's soft spot for the yorubas denied Ndigbo the only chance of winning the war. This is the first time that I am hearing this excuse for losing the war.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 9:13pm On Nov 03, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Are you now rejecting the leadership style/achievements of Ikemba, and Okorocha?

The people you are hailing here like Dede1 will never agree with you that Ojukwu's soft spot for the yorubas denied Ndigbo the only chance of winning the war. This is the first time that I am hearing this excuse for losing the war.

Many igbos dede1 inclusive believe that Ojukwu made many mistakes in biafra war, even though we don't criticize or demonize Ojukwu,because we know that everything he did,he did with good intentions for ndiigbo.

On the yoruba issue,that's my personal opinion,and dede1 or anyother body don't necessary have to agree with it. Ojukwu labelled yorubas friends,when in the actual sense,they were our enemy,he trusted awolowo and aluko. The capture of lagos was our only realistic chance of winning that war, ojukwu threw that chance away,when he handed that mission to banjo.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 9:20pm On Nov 03, 2012
And by the way, Ojukwu remains my no1 hero,even though,like all men, he had his flaws ,the fact that he was able to unite igbo tribes for a cause,speaks so much about his leadership qualities.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 9:29pm On Nov 03, 2012
pazienza: And by the way, Ojukwu remains my no1 hero,even though,like all men, he had his flaws ,the fact that he was able to unite igbo tribes for a cause,speaks so much about his leadership qualities.

Did you have to issue the disclaimer above because of fear of being lynched or ostracized by fellow Igbos and other Ojukwu worshipers? You that you should be able to stand by your convictions no matter what whose ox is gored.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nagoma(m): 9:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
pazienza: We don't need western or northern born or cultured leaders again, those brand of leaders failed us. Nzeogwu's efulefusm aka nationalistic spirit led him to start the coup, Ironsi's soft spot for the north plunged us into war,Ojukwu's soft spot for the yorubas(banjo,aluko,awolowo) denied us our only chance of winning that war,don't even get me started on zik.

That murderer & hypocritical devil Nzegwu who with his own hands killed the Premier and his wife Amina can never be a nationalist in Nigeria' s history. He was an Igbo murderer whose tribalistic adventure is still the problem with Nigeria 36 years later.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Dede1(m): 9:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
pazienza:

Many igbos dede1 inclusive believe that Ojukwu made many mistakes in biafra war, even though we don't criticize or demonize Ojukwu,because we know that everything he did,he did with good intentions for ndiigbo.

On the yoruba issue,that's my personal opinion,and dede1 or anyother body don't necessary have to agree with it. Ojukwu labelled yorubas friends,when in the actual sense,they were our enemy,he trusted awolowo and aluko. The capture of lagos was our only realistic chance of winning that war, ojukwu threw that chance away,when he handed that mission to banjo.

Bros, you have penned masterstroke with the above post. There is no weapon that can defeat element of surprise in any military conflict. Both sides were loaded with WWII vintage weapons and more on the Nigerian side. Biafra lost the opportunity to alter the direction of the war due to what I termed as the worst blunder ever committed in annals of warfare.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 10:42pm On Nov 03, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Did you have to issue the disclaimer above because of fear of being lynched or ostracized by fellow Igbos and other Ojukwu worshipers? You that you should be able to stand by your convictions no matter what whose ox is gored.

lol. Go through my posts in nairaland, i don't need to offer any disclaimer. Ojukwu is my hero,my uncle and dad can't just stop talking about him,i just saw an avenue to praise him,and couldn't resist the chance to capitalize. grin
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 11:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, you have penned masterstroke with the above post. There is no weapon that can defeat element of surprise in any military conflict. Both sides were loaded with WWII vintage weapons and more on the Nigerian side. Biafra lost the opportunity to alter the direction of the war due to what I termed as the worst blunder ever committed in annals of warfare.

Eziokwu ka ikwuru. The british never trusted the ability of nigeria to win that war,they remained hidden at the background giving them partial support. It was not until Enugu fell that the british were sure that they were on the winning side,and they gave nigeria all the support they needed.

Had Ojukwu treated yorubas as real enemy they were,and handed that lagos mission to a trusted igbo commander, lagos would have fallen,and the british would have abandoned Nigeria and sought for dialogue with biafra.

Ojukwu had a master plan,his soft spot for yoruba made the execution of that plan poor,and hence failure.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by pazienza(m): 11:34pm On Nov 03, 2012
nagoma:

That murderer & hypocritical devil Nzegwu who with his own hands killed the Premier and his wife Amina can never be a nationalist in Nigeria' s history. He was an Igbo murderer whose tribalistic adventure is still the problem with Nigeria 36 years later.

Wow! And look at where your love for ironsi ended him,such a tough love you lots have.

And Gowon and mutala muhammad that orchestrated the massacre of thousands of igbos(nigerians) are nationalists ba? He was so nationalist that lagos international airport was named after him,and his picture adorns the most used nigerian currency note,even though he spilled the blood of thousands of his fellow countrymen.

Imagine a gworo chewing northerner calling someone a murderer,when people are being killed everyday in the north.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by tpia1: 11:57pm On Nov 03, 2012
if kaduna means crocodile and aguiyi also means crocodile, then what?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 3:14am On Nov 04, 2012
ndu_chucks:

guy sharap there....concern yourself with ijebu affairs....you are not igbo so sharap
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by thrugemaster(m): 12:15am On Nov 05, 2012
Pain:

@thrugemaster. Do u have a military background? I ask because of your use of the term "Swagger Stick".

yes. a swagger stick is a short staff carried by military officers as a symbol of authority. They were in vogue during the early post independence years of the Nigeria Army

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Taraba State Governorship Election Results / Police Arrests 8 Over Saraki's Attack In Ilorin / What Is The Good Job Of Buhari? - Wike Blasts APC Presidential Aspirants (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.