Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,056 members, 7,939,247 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:24 PM

Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report (9519 Views)

Protesters Call For Saraki’s Sack As Senate Committee Submits Report On Marafa / Ekiti Guber Election:Army Panel Submits Report, Recommends Compulsory Retirement / Buhari Introduced As Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 03, 2012
vascey: Dude 2 people pondering what we are pondering = PM News Headline + City People news.
Yea, take a deep look at the picture again, the way she smiles at Mr. President, not able to fix her eyes on him. Its like she loves my abled President. If am Mr. President, I wont mind o. She looks cute (Just joking).
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:24am On Nov 03, 2012
garri_gangster: So, some people here are saying that GEJ set up the committee and then tried to discredit their report??
Na wa for Nigerians o

Nooo... G_G, it's just the kind of coincidence conspiracy theories are made of. You must agree in the world of Nigerian politics, such a theory would not be far fetched.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by taharqa: 10:26am On Nov 03, 2012
kulutempa: Steve Oransanye is a bloody disgrace and has no iota of integrity. He is serving on a committee which is looking into the activities of NNPC where he is a member of the board and he thinks there is nothing wrong with this? He is simply a worthless human being.

My God! Guy take it easy, he was just appointd into the board of d NNPC in say about 2months, while the committee terms coverd 2002-2011- it does not directly affect him at all..... By d way, many of u still have the impression that this was a Probe of d Oil industry, well it actuali was not. Its main purpose was to look at the Payment system and Flow dynamics bw d Nigeria state (lead by NNPC) and d Oil companies, and the findings was that we have been using for decades a BAD BAD system that leaves Nigeria shortagd; it was within dis opaque system that all kinds of corruptn took and takes place. Far-reaching Systems reforms hv be recommended and that is what is important. The report didnt actuali indict anyone expect for the Signature bonuses of those 7 discretory licenses which has not been reconcild (which was said to be 'missing'- dont know what d Final report concluded on this issue though). If the President wants to track down those people who took advantage of d system to line their pockets (and there certainly were many), he wud have to involvd EFCC and track them from 2011 down to d 1970s perhaps (or he could decide to focus on 2002-2011). If he wants to do that, Good luck to him..... Mine is the National Assembly shld pass d PIB bill b4 d end of d year, it is the best and surest way of completely reforming dat DARK sector
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:26am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Yea, take a deep look at the picture again, the way she smiles at Mr. President, not able to fix her eyes on him. Its like she loves my abled President. If am Mr. President, I wont mind o. She looks cute (Just joking).

The look is like " I knw what we did last night when your wife was not around" LOL.

Abeg sorry 4 derailing the thread o. But really our government and their committees are just a laughing matter.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 03, 2012
On a second thought, I can only assume that Mr. Ribadu who is known for his prowess in fighting corruption can not allow other committee members to water down his findings, and they can only resort to in-fighting. So if my assumption is right, then we have the real deal, if not, change has to be gradual. We need to have a permanent taskforce monitoring our Petroleum upstream and downstream, regulatory agencies etc. Na small small.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Ikwerefistson: 10:28am On Nov 03, 2012
Prof Corruption: GEJ has managed to plant a mole in the committee. So much for this president who is completely corrupt. What the hell is Steve Oronsaye ranting about? What prevents him from writing a minority report?
my frnd kep gej out of ds.blame d Yoruba man who wants an hausa man observe hm b4 he do hs job.he wil nt atend d meting nd expect ribadu 2 brief hm.so dnt blame gej 4 hs stupidity
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by mrrock: 10:28am On Nov 03, 2012
Anybody who will read this thread and not know there's some sort of GAME at play don't know Nigeria. Many people in the presidency and NNPC have their hands tied in the subsidy scam. Therefore, the best they can do is plant an Orosanya to discredit the report. Jonathan's administration is begining to appear to me as really very corrupt.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by vascey(m): 10:31am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: On a second thought, I can only assume that Mr. Ribadu who is known for his prowess in fighting corruption can not allow other committee members to water down his findings, and they can only resort to in-fighting. So if my assumption is right, then we have the real deal, if not, change has to be gradual. We need to have a permanent taskforce monitoring our Petroleum upstream and downstream, regulatory agencies etc. Na small small.

No matter his prowess or track record, if a committee is given an assignment and he hijacks the assignment for any reason (without supporting documentation), then he has undermined any output of that committee. It is quite simple. A tree never makes a forest nor a man a committee.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 03, 2012
mrrock: Anybody who will read this thread and not know there's some sort of GAME at play don't know Nigeria. Many people in the presidency and NNPC have their hands tied. The best they can do is plant an Orosanya to discredit the report. Jonathan's administration is begining to appear to me as really very corrupt.
Do you know who set up the committee to investigate the sector ? Do you know why he chose an opposition party candidate to head the committee ? Do you have your thinking cap on your head ?
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 03, 2012
vascey:
No matter his prowess or track record, if a committee is given an assignment and he hijacks the assignment for any reason (without supporting documentation), then he has undermined any output of that committee. It is quite simple. A tree never makes a forest nor a man a committee.
I think most times we Nigerians are the very cause of our problems. When the report was leaked to the Press before even being submitted to the President, we did not question the morale behind such unprofessionalism, we went ahead to chastise the President even before he received the report. Now at the presentation, there is a debacle of some sort, the committee members are calling it unharmonised, yet they did not care to investigate you released their 'unharmonized' report. Here we are again, not giving the president the opportunity to go through the report, we are already saying he should prosecute those involved. I need a full copy of this report before I can make statements. What I see online is like pure water. Its inconclusive, its like the data are collated from the agencies that are supposed to be investigated, instead of going to the fields and seeing things as is and are. What the Government needs to do is disband the 17 or there about agencies under NNPC. So much duplicity of functions. I need to go find petrol my brother. We go chat latter.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by mrrock: 10:41am On Nov 03, 2012
@Billyonaire.
The president is under pressure to set up such a panel. And he chosed Ribadu as a stamp of authenticity. Having said that, the president himself may not be that corrupt but his party, NNPC, and the people around him including ministers.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by takedat(m): 10:43am On Nov 03, 2012
How come Steve Orosanyi is on the Board of CBN and NNPC at the same time? How come the president /minister allowed him to continue with the committee even when he had started that his schedule was tight? Is it that they(Government) couldn't find someone else to replace him? Why was he appointed to the board of an organisation he happened to be investigating?
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Xano(m): 10:45am On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:

Is it not really simple enough from the history of the actors? Ribadu has never been known to be a team builder or a team leader. I think he believes it affect efficiency. Check his records, Ribadu arrests suspects even before investigations finishes. His methods has been historically unorthodox and make no mistake about it, he achieves results. His method shields him from the inefficiency of the beauracracy.
For Orosanye, anybody that knows him will know that he is one of the most principled, process based and fearless civil servant this country ever had. Take a look at his days at the Head of Service. He built majority of the service structure in civil service today, so he had always been a process person and will naturally argue with Ribadu's methods.
Actually, if you look at the committee, you will notice that core professionals were drawn from different fields for this assignment. Ribadu himself is a core professional, very technical too. When you have an all technical committee like this, it is always better to drive it with a man/woman with strong leadership skills. Ribadu has never had that.
To my mind, there is no contradiction here, Orosanya was being true to type, so is Ribadu. But i believe that Ribadu could have managed this team better while achieving his desired result. First rule in leadership is never allow your team to be fragmented.
And to Mr President, we all have a lot to learn from his crisis management. He managed the situation well, while allowing all to save face. He is a thorough team leader.
Now, Ribadu's report has been accepted. Orasanya's inputs can still be accomodated. The collection of these form the report of the committee. This will further expand the discussion points that will lead to concesus. Most importantly, their harmonized findings must be taken seriously and as Mr President said, ALL indicted must be brought to book, but more importantly, the system MUST be made to be more fool proof.
thank you.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by taharqa: 10:48am On Nov 03, 2012
mrrock: Anybody who will read this thread and not know there's some sort of GAME at play don't know Nigeria. Many people in the presidency and NNPC have their hands tied in the subsidy scam. Therefore, the best they can do is plant an Orosanya to discredit the report. Jonathan's administration is begining to appear to me as really very corrupt.
Mr @rock, maybe you shld pay sm attention to what is bn discussd in a thread b4 jumping in. Wetin concern 'Subsidy' with the committee?
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 03, 2012
mrrock: @Billyonaire.
The president is under pressure to set up such a panel. And he chosed Ribadu as a stamp of authenticity. Having said that, the president himself may not be that corrupt but his party, NNPC, and the people around him including ministers.
I agree with you that Our President was under duress, he is almost always under duress. But the choice of Ribadu was not under duress. Are you now doubting Ribadu's anti-corruption posture because he was engaged by the President to investigate the most corrupt sector in Nigeria ? If you are now doubting Ribadu's transparency, then who would you have recommended to head such committee ? Nairalanders await your answer:
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Gbawe: 10:52am On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:

Is it not really simple enough from the history of the actors? Ribadu has never been known to be a team builder or a team leader. I think he believes it affect efficiency. Check his records, Ribadu arrests suspects even before investigations finishes. His methods has been historically unorthodox and make no mistake about it, he achieves results. His method shields him from the inefficiency of the beauracracy.
For Orosanye, anybody that knows him will know that he is one of the most principled, process based and fearless civil servant this country ever had. Take a look at his days at the Head of Service. He built majority of the service structure in civil service today, so he had always been a process person and will naturally argue with Ribadu's methods.
Actually, if you look at the committee, you will notice that core professionals were drawn from different fields for this assignment. Ribadu himself is a core professional, very technical too. When you have an all technical committee like this, it is always better to drive it with a man/woman with strong leadership skills. Ribadu has never had that.
To my mind, there is no contradiction here, Orosanya was being true to type, so is Ribadu. But i believe that Ribadu could have managed this team better while achieving his desired result. First rule in leadership is never allow your team to be fragmented.
And to Mr President, we all have a lot to learn from his crisis management. He managed the situation well, while allowing all to save face. He is a thorough team leader.
Now, Ribadu's report has been accepted. Orasanya's inputs can still be accomodated. The collection of these form the report of the committee. This will further expand the discussion points that will lead to concesus. Most importantly, their harmonized findings must be taken seriously and as Mr President said, ALL indicted must be brought to book, but more importantly, the system MUST be made to be more fool proof.

Why are you crafting this elaborate Nollywood drama around something that is very simple given the history of Nigeria and corruption? There is always a 'spoiler' thrown into the mix to taint and undermine processes while diverting attention from original target. Simple as that. It is the oldest trick in the book when corruption fights back and, for me, that is what is happening here.

It is the 419 we are famous for deployed at leadership level. I bet you provided similar talk over the disgraceful Otedola-Farouk entrapment spy saga that James Bond would have been proud of. The ultra-corrupt and highly unscrupulous AGIP (Otedola) now the champion of anti-corruption? Only in Nigeria !!!

You can say what you want, as entitled, but those who know the world beyond Nigeria will appreciate that our leaders have turned our Nation into a horrid joke where disgraceful acts of 419 is practiced at the highest level with total impunity and lack of shame or even an appreciation of what must not be done because it is totally unacceptable/unseen elsewhere. It is the day of making a formal presentation to the Presidency that this spat had to be played out publicly?

2 Likes

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by lafuria1(m): 10:56am On Nov 03, 2012
my only question is this, why did oransaya waited till the the day the report was to be submit to air his problem with ribadu. a sincere person would have informed the president ealier and not even after the report was submitted. u say the process was flawed but kept quite and told no one and didnt care.......confused. for him to be brave enuff to embrass himself and the committe infront of the president who gave them a work to do, then.........
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by esere826: 10:56am On Nov 03, 2012
Frank-C:

You get sense well, well my brother
Precise insight. Great job
Need to see more of such intelligent analysis from fellow Nairalanders in the near future, not the beer parlour type
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by mrrock: 10:56am On Nov 03, 2012
@taharqa.
It seems you haven't been in Nigeria for long.
For your information it's the fuel subsidy protest that gave birth to all these committees and counter committees.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by mrrock: 11:05am On Nov 03, 2012
@Billyonaire.
I told you he chosed Ribadu as a mark of authenticity. He is under presure to convince Nigerians that he is serious. I' am not doubting the findings. The findings may be ok but must have to be discredited in order to protect the cabals (those that funded their election and put them in power in the first place).
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by takedat(m): 11:06am On Nov 03, 2012
Gbawe:

Why are you crafting this elaborate Nollywood drama around something that is very simple given the history of Nigeria and corruption? There is always a 'spoiler' thrown into the mix to taint and undermine processes while diverting attention from original target. Simple as that.

It is the 419 we are famous for deployed at leadership level. I bet you provided similar talk over the disgraceful Otedola-Farouk entrapment spy saga that James Bond would have been proud of. You can say what you want, as entitled, but those who know the world beyond Nigeria will appreciate that our leaders have turned our Nation into a horrid joke where disgraceful acts of 419 is practiced at the highest level with total impunity and lack of shame or even an appreciation of what must not be done because it is totally unacceptable/unseen elsewhere. It is the day of making a formal presentation to the Presidency that this spat had to be played out publicly?
The former EFCC Chairman also noted
that the disagreement of the two men
with the report which indicted the
Minister of Petroleum Resources may
have been influenced by their new
appointments. Ribadu noted that
Oronsaye got himself appointed as a
member of the board of Nigeria
National Petroleum Corporation in the
course of the work of the Task Force,
while Oti was appointed into a
managerial position in the Corporation

.mobi/output.php?id=2951
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by taharqa: 11:09am On Nov 03, 2012
mrrock: @taharqa.
It seems you haven't been in Nigeria for long.
For your information it's the fuel subsidy protest that gave birth to all these committees and counter committees.
oh well, that is debatable but also plausible. I thought you meant that one of the terms of the committee was to investigate Subsidy?... If that is not what you meant, then we hv consensus Bros
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by greaterlove(m): 11:12am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire:
I think most times we Nigerians are the very cause of our problems. When the report was leaked to the Press before even being submitted to the President, we did not question the morale behind such unprofessionalism, we went ahead to chastise the President even before he received the report. Now at the presentation, there is a debacle of some sort, the committee members are calling it unharmonised, yet they did not care to investigate you released their 'unharmonized' report. Here we are again, not giving the president the opportunity to go through the report, we are already saying he should prosecute those involved. I need a full copy of this report before I can make statements. What I see online is like pure water. Its inconclusive, its like the data are collated from the agencies that are supposed to be investigated, instead of going to the fields and seeing things as is and are. What the Government needs to do is disband the 17 or there about agencies under NNPC. So much duplicity of functions. I need to go find petrol my brother. We go chat latter.
i will also want to agree that the one released was a summary, but looking at the report closely the ones on top look less than a 50page report except the one below that looks like a report up to a 100page, and guessing that they will contain contract documents, payment slips, shipment data etc the report doesnt look much to me except each document is a part of the whole report.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by nous(f): 11:13am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Yea, I noticed that too. She has that sheepy smile of some lover. Are you pondering what am pondering ? Just joking.

I noticed the sexy smile though I am not saying she is dating Jonathan. I think she is beautiful.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Gbawe: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2012
mrrock: @Billyonaire.
I told you he chosed Ribadu as a mark of authenticity. He is under presure to convince Nigerians that he is serious. I' am not doubting the findings. The findings may be ok but must have to be discredited in order to protect the cabals (those that funded their election and put them in power in the first place).

Absolutely. The process has to be tainted in some way to diminish its credibility - and the Otedola-style shenanigans has begun. Does it make sense to anyone that a Nollywood drama had to play out on the very day a formal presentation of the committees work was made to the President?

Nigerians need to begin thinking critically or we are doomed to be perpetual slaves of corruption and roguery. It is not rocket science. We keep seeing things that do not happen anywhere else in the world being the order of the day in Nigeria. Yet, we Nigerians make excuses to validate the senseless 419 antics of our leaders.

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by Felixjude(m): 11:13am On Nov 03, 2012
well,this post didnt highlight Ribadu's response to orasanye's rant...u guys need to see it,b4 u give ur judgement
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by mrrock: 11:22am On Nov 03, 2012
@taharqa.
That's it!. Have a nice day bro.
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by iwanchop(m): 11:26am On Nov 03, 2012
Check dis out Orosanye nd Oti were both appointed Chairman NNPC nd Director of Finance after d Ribadu committe was constituted,were they nt suppose to resign as members of d committee?They were both fighting for their pockets...i leant Orosanye did not attend d commitee s meetings,so what was he talking about?
Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by otokx(m): 11:32am On Nov 03, 2012
The report has been submitted, let the president start implementing some of the recommendations.

1 Like

Re: Disagreements As Ribadu Committee Submits Report by kayjegs: 11:33am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: [img]http://saharareporters.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/news-page-images-480-

“It is unfortunate that the point has been missed on the process issue. We agreed that the committee be brought to a committee of the whole. That was not done. Some of the figures that were in the draft report were un-reconciled figures and I did say in that meeting that we have institutions responsible for this figures and therefore you should work with these institutions. I do not know whether DPR and FIRS are here. These are the people who should be talking about these figures and there were statements that were subjective.

In as much as I have respect for all members of the committee including Oronsaye, I have a problem with DPR and FIRS figures or so. If you really want to get anything meaningful when it comes to fact finding committees as this in Nigeria, it is better you rely on your own statistics which comes from genuine research conducted by whatever method you desire. The DPR, FIRS or what have you will not give you the right figures. Which Government Institution in Nigeria has right figures to give? I haven't seen any. Most times you just have to ignore these organizations' figures because often times they are doctored to protect Corruption any time any day. Talk of Population census figures and so on. This is where I can fault Oronsaye and give credit to Ribadu.

And again, will the recommendations be taken and suggestions implemented?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Supreme-Court Justice's Wife And Daughter Kidnapped / Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos / Top 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.