Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,909 members, 7,909,415 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 02:19 AM

PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group (20189 Views)

Eleven Dies As Truck Rams Into Ondo Market / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC / Female LAWMA Truck Drivers : Iyawo Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 04, 2012
kkkossy: I suspect those phd holders are retired lecturers or govt workers, maybe they just want to get something doing. I doubt if they are young phd holders.
You think an old man can drive a truck?
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by engrfcuksmtin(m): 10:40am On Nov 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

Not at all. Just like Yoruba graduates are powering London undergrounds, factories, Kitchens, warehouses, nightclubs etc, so we need them here in Nigeria.
Maybe Nigeria will finally become a great country like the UK powered by graduate Yoruba factory workers and truck drivers.
You and the 7 people that likes your comment are bunch of short sighted, shallow thinkers. RETARDS.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by engrfcuksmtin(m): 10:46am On Nov 04, 2012
For the MSc holders no comment but PhD, am shocked with the number of Universities in Nigeria looking for PhD holders to boost thier rating, ensure accreditation of courses and quality output shocked shocked shocked
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 04, 2012
Highbros:
"apply your knowledge to create business" is easier said than done. No job means no money. How does one with no money create a reasonable business? Or do you want him to start selling sliced paw-paw in the market?

How does he manages to sponsor himself to PhD level without stopping & looking for smaller jobs to support himself when he got his Bachelors? If you are able to sponsor yourself to PhD level, you should be also able to raise a small capital to start a business so you can apply your knowledge! Some Nigerians are just unproductive with their degrees & all; that's why you see them putting their hopes on only jobs with PhDs!

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by donniemc: 11:26am On Nov 04, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Why are all these "drop outs" not employing "drop outs" in their respective companies? Why do they go to Ivy Leagues to recruit the best of the best?
Actually Most executives of these companies are drop-outs, Mid/low level worker are the phd/degree holders...the truth is it takes a dropout to invent the future
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink:

How does he manages to sponsor himself to PhD level without stopping & looking for smaller jobs to support himself when he got his Bachelors? If you are able to sponsor yourself to PhD level, you should be also able to raise a small capital to start a business so you can apply your knowledge! Some Nigerians are just unproductive with their degrees & all; that's why you see them putting their hopes on only jobs with PhDs!
donniemc:
Actually Most executives of these companies are drop-outs, Mid/low level worker are the phd/degree holders...the truth is it takes a dropout to invent the future
2 great points

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by tpia1: 12:40pm On Nov 04, 2012
donniemc:

the few dropouts who make it big are most times from rich and/or well connected families.

dont be fooled by the media hype.

prior to the computer/information technology era, there was nothing honorable about being a drop out.

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by emmatok(m): 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2012
Getting PHD in Nigeria is not a joke, I have seen a lecturer at IFE throwing party after his PHD.
PHD IS THE PEAK OF ACADEMICS.

But PHDs applying for truck driving, thier names should be published and thier PHD withdrawn.

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by ImpactWorld(m): 1:46pm On Nov 04, 2012
@ Obadiah777, I couldn't agree more. I wish everyone sees this truth.
@ those bashing the country, aren't there unemployment in every countries of the world? Or are we assuming the unemployed in other countries aren't educated?
As for the Ph.d (& maybe MBA) holders, there are numerous lecturing opportunities in this country .
I know a tertiary institution in the north where even Masters holders are being sought after.
Like I always say, the poverty of the mind is the worst of all. And yes, wisdom is very profitable.

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
..it all depends. After all, some PhDs are more equal than others. I for example, is a PhD student in top uni in Australia, and receive a stipend of 30k P.A. Would you expect me to go apply for such jobs after my studies? Nah.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Redhot111(m): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
bbpreye.:
What is Dangote?
Dangote is a name of a person, place or thing grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by otokx(m): 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2012
na so so top top universities them go they talk say them go but if dem reach US no be to drive taxi?
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Jarus(m): 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2012
obadiah777: college dropouts

steve jobs APPLE
bill gates MICROSOFT
mark zuckerberg FACEBOOK
lawrence ellison ORACLE
micheal dell DELL COMPUTERS
ted turner COMMUNICATIONS
ralph lauren FASHION
John d rockefeller PHILANTROPIST

do they come any bigger than these ?

phd is for losers who cant think for themselves. FACT
Why not also drop out and see what you would become?

For every Bill Gates, there are 1 million drop-outs who didn't make it. And these guys did not drop out because they were dullards, they did so for other reasons.

I pity those blockheads that use that as excuse. Saying 'shebi Dangote no go school, shebi na 3rd class Wole Soyinka get'

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by esere826: 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^^ up there is common sense at work
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2012
Jarus:

For every Bill Gates, there are 1 million drop-outs who didn't make it. And these guys did not drop out because they were dullards, they did so for other reasons.

THE POINT HERE IS THAT PHDs ARE ONLY GOOD FOR WIPING AZZ IF YOU ARE NOT IN ACADEMIA. ANYTHING OUTSIDE ACADEMIA ? YOU MAY AS WELL USE THE CERTIFICATE AS WRAPPING PAPER FOR BOLI AND EPA. ITS A USELESS RELIC OF THE PAST. THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON FROM THAT ERA. ITS A COMPUTERIZED WORLD NOW AND CERTIFICATION IS THE ORDER OF THE DAY. ONLY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WHO HAVENT CAUGHT UP TO THAT IS NIGERIANS WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE BECAUSE THEY ONLY SEE THE 'SUPPOSED' STATUS SYMBOL BEHIND IT, WHICH LETS FACE IT IN THE WORLD OF TODAY, OR AT LEAST IN MY CIRCLE OF FRIENDS, YOU CAN GET SLAPPED FOR TELLING PEOPLE TO ADD PHD IN FRONT OF YOUR NAME. FOLKS OUT HERE IN THIS COMPUTER WORLD ARE DYNAMIC AND SEE INVENTIONS AS OPPOSED TO TITLES.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 04, 2012
Jarus:

I pity those blockheads that use that as excuse. Saying 'shebi Dangote no go school, shebi na 3rd class Wole Soyinka get'

suraj dey vex.
all the people listed dropped out of college to start businesses - REAL businesses, not the glorified trading that passes for 90% of business in nigeria. oddly these entrepreneurs do not share the mindset of those desperate to lionize dropping out of college - they o for the cream of the crop in graduates. go figure.

obadiah777: THE POINT HERE IS THAT PHDs ARE ONLY GOOD FOR WIPING AZZ IF YOU ARE NOT IN ACADEMIA. ANYTHING OUTSIDE ACADEMIA ? YOU MAY AS WELL USE THE CERTIFICATE AS WRAPPING PAPER FOR BOLI AND EPA. ITS A USELESS RELIC OF THE PAST. THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON FROM THAT ERA. ITS A COMPUTERIZED WORLD NOW AND CERTIFICATION IS THE ORDER OF THE DAY. ONLY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WHO HAVENT CAUGHT UP TO THAT IS NIGERIANS WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE BECAUSE THEY ONLY SEE THE 'SUPPOSED' STATUS SYMBOL BEHIND IT, WHICH LETS FACE IT IN THE WORLD OF TODAY, OR AT LEAST IN MY CIRCLE OF FRIENDS, YOU CAN GET SLAPPED FOR TELLING PEOPLE TO ADD PHD IN FRONT OF YOUR NAME. FOLKS OUT HERE IN THIS COMPUTER WORLD ARE DYNAMIC AND SEE INVENTIONS AS OPPOSED TO TITLES.

you obviously have no idea that google (the search engine) started as a phd thesis
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
oyb:

suraj dey vex

you obviously have no idea that google (the search engine) started as a phd thesis
ONE,GOOGLE THAT IS, OUT OF MANY THAT WERE FORMED BY YOUNG BRIGHT MINDS. ALL THE APPS THAT ARE DEVELOPED ? THE AVG AGE OF THE DEVELOPERS ? ABOUT 20.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
obadiah777: 1 OUT OF MANY THAT WERE FORMED BY YOUNG BRIGHT MINDS. ALL THE APPS THAT ARE DEVELOPED ? THE AVG AGE OF THE DEVELOPERS ? ABOUT 20.

now you clearly have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about - all the apps that are developed

steve jobs APPLE
bill gates MICROSOFT
mark zuckerberg FACEBOOK
lawrence ellison ORACLE
micheal dell DELL COMPUTERS
ted turner COMMUNICATIONS
ralph lauren FASHION
John d rockefeller PHILANTROPIST

the only 'app' there is facebook -

i suggest rather than just spamming, you go and read up on all the people you are using as some sort of crutch - if you see philantropy as some sort of business venture or you don't know ted turner inherited his dad's business . . .nuff said

better go and face your books. i don't see any bright world revolutionizing ideas coming from you
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by esere826: 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2012
oyb:

now you clearly have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about ......................

........ better go and face your books. i don't see any bright world revolutionizing ideas coming from you

ROFL
*gets up*
ROFL yet again

@oyb
you get badmouth sha (no be curse ooo, so please dont use Jesus name to rebuke me. it's pidgin english abeg)
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 04, 2012
oyb:

now you clearly have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about - all the apps that are developed

the only 'app' there is facebook -

i suggest rather than just spamming, you go and read up on all the people you are using as some sort of crutch - if you see philantropy as some sort of business venture or you don't know ted turner inherited his dad's business . . .nuff said

better go and face your books. i don't see any bright world revolutionizing ideas coming from you

IT IS WHAT IT IS BRAH. YOU CANT STEM THE TIDE. THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON. I SUGGEST YOU DO TOO

APPS FOR SMARTPHONES AND COMPUTERS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by ceejayluv(m): 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
kayjegs:

What kind of PhD in America drives a cab? If you talk of just graduates or maybe Masters, you may be right. But for a PhD holder to be driving Cab in the US especially under this particular circumstance, it is not possible. Except if he just wants to do it.

It's possible... Especially non-US trained PhD holders...

Don't have the link now but I know that Nigerian cabbies in Ireland are the most educated. (masters and PhD)
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by eureka: 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2012

3 Likes

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by ballabriggs: 5:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
When I listen to some talks I laugh.

And who tells this Oba-Dier (mortuary attendant) that there are no PhD's working in those computer software and hardware companies? From Apple, Toyota, to Mercedes Benz, you have PhD's as part of the teams working day and night to improve products and processes in these organisations. Honda has a research institute in Europe, Japan and US with PhD's working on them. Organisations value them because they have unique analytic skills. They don't need an Oba-Dier to tell them a PhD's worth.

Go to the UN you have PhD's innovating and improving programmes and projects for the sake of humanity. The UN do not need an Oba-Dier to them what a PhD can do.

Most stupid is the talk that a PhD is a waste because his associate in a borrowed suit on youtube says so. It is a waste and countries and institutions continue to sponsor PhD programmes? They should stop because Oba-Dier and his cohort says it is a waste? If countries achieve development by listening to Oba-Diers they will sure be in a mess. We thank God policy makers are not Oba-Diers who are blind to the benefits of a PhD programme.

Who are those working day and night designing economic models for development? Are they also Oba-Diers.
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by ballabriggs: 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
eureka: When I left unisome years back, a lot of my cousins travelled to Europe and the americas. They were the toast of the family. I went for my masters while teaching pry school and doing pp. it has been 16 years. I did any job I was paid to do teaching, cleaning becos if I tried to ask for help I was asked for sex. Success is a choice. U can move with the crowd or remain focused and u will surely arrive at your dest. A lot of my relations can't come home. Crises in Europe and global crises in the America's has balanced the naira with other world currencies. Africa and Asia are the new brides of investment and prosperity. A word is enough for the wise.

Are you also an Oba-Dier?
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Pimples(m): 6:55pm On Nov 04, 2012
Phd or not
college dropout or not
Whatever the case, improve yourselves so as to be able to put food on your table
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Dipwater(m): 7:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
miqos02: what will motivate phd holders to apply for truck driving... am shocked....

Hunger

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 05, 2012
Certificate na paper, moni na moni, Bleep you and your first class, make moni baby!
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by billionaireceo: 10:37am On Nov 05, 2012
Mr. Globe:
[size=16pt]Can we all accept that Niggeria is a failed country. Giant of Africa my foot[/size]

Its obvious dt most of us have not come 2 terms with the way most nigerians think.
What makes you think that any 1 of those degree holders intend to drive that truck? I bet u only a handful of them will.
From what dangote explained, eventually dey own the trucks, all one needs 2 do, is employ sm1 and pay a fraction of money being paid as 'trip allowance' eventually u own a truck.
Being a Phd/MSc holder means u shld b able 2 think/read between d lines...you obviously aren't a Msc holder

1 Like

Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by etchel(m): 8:18am On Nov 06, 2012
smiley
Re: PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group by ayodele123(m): 1:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
Nigeria, i think is a failed state for the following reasons:
1stly,The nation is rich in human and natural resources yet the majority of the people have no access to the nation's resources to better their lives.
2ndly,The nation's educational system orientates a graduate to go looking for a job to earn a salary.The system that trains a student to be a job seeker instead of a job creator at this time is an obsolete system that should be discarded.
3rdly, a nation that cannot provide an enabling environment for a jobless graduate to set up a business is a failed economy.Yet we hear that Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. How? Only the senators can answer that.Ask the banks for a loan,even as low as N100k, a graduate will not get because the banks are not interested in this category no matter the quality of the business plan and feasibility study presented.
The Poverty alleviation funds,agricultural loan schemes etc funded by the FGN and its agencies such as the CBN always get into the wrong hands.How do these graduates benefit to raise the needed capital to do business in this economy?In this wise,we should not blame a PHD graduate seeking for employment as a truck driver.It is the height of frustration in this economy where someone steals N40billion and goes free while another hapless citizen is looking for a meal or a job to make a living and ends up as a PHD graduate working as a truck driver.

The PHD and MBA holder who is seeking for employment as a salaried truck driver is a failed mind as well.Why after all the years to acquire 3 degrees will a PHD holder become a salaried truck driver in Nigeria,where there is a brain drain to Europe and the West? Must they work for others? Why cant they set up a business as an employer? No matter how little the business,start one. Sit down and assess your skills, talents, gifts, education and experience and see how you can convert them to money.It is not easy but nothing is easy anywhere and we have to start from somewhere. There is something in every one's hand that can be converted to a money making venture.You only need to think deeply to identify it and have the will to develop and use it.

Then,graduates drive trucks in the UK and the USA,so why is Nigeria different? Those PHD holders driving trucks in the USA,are they sons of the soil? Are they not stranded foreigners who have no choice and must earn money to live? Anyway,i think it is welcome and good for us if graduates now can drive trucks.It means that the roads will be safer. There will be fewer trailer accidents on the roads because a graduates behind the steering will make a better judgement than those illiterate,kola-nut chewing old men who drive trucks, who have no regard for traffic rules, or right of other drivers on the roads. Then the Dangote Group is a respected and prestigious company to work with even as a graduate truck driver.
But i do not believe that a MBA or PHD holder from a University such as University of Lagos will be among the group of truck drivers. Those PHDs and MBAs applying for trucking jobs in Dangote, from which universities are they? May be those two for one penny online universities? Given the Nigerian's penchant for certificates,they can acquire any certificate from anywhere,even backyard schools springing up everywhere.One of my neighbors attended one theological school in Lagos(names withheld) where he bagged Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate all within 4 years and now says he is a Dr.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kachikwu Gives Warri Refinery 90-day Ultimatum / Buhari To Sign Budget Before Leaving For France Friday / Lauretta Onochie: It Is Disrespectful To Ask About Buhari's Health Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.