Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,685 members, 7,972,538 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 12:38 PM

Help Rate Political Satire About Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Help Rate Political Satire About Jonathan (626 Views)

The Acts Of King Bubu Son Of Hari Chapter 2: 1-32 (A Political Satire) / Mr. Nigeria, The Snake Charmer (a Political Satire) . / Political Satire At Its Finest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Rate Political Satire About Jonathan by okeykanu: 10:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Satirical writing, just like satirical cartoons can be a great way to see the humourous angle in trending issues and events in a country, but what style do people relate more with: the harsh, serious sounding humour or the soft jocular humour.

Below are two brands of political satirical writing on the same issue: President Goodluck Jonathan's future election plans following his recent media chat:
Satire 1 (Hard-Hitting Style of Humour) & Satire 2 (Soft Jocular Style Humour).

Which of the two writings (Satire 1 or Satire 2), catches your fancy more and why?

All in all I hope the humour comes through to you and that you catch the joke in it all. wink Enjoy!!

SATIRE 1
Jonathan Releases Remake of Old IBB Hit Single: Know not if I’ll Contest Elections

Nigerian President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has come up with a remarkable remake of the 1985 classical hit song "know not if I’ll contest elections." First written by then Military President, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, this song, which centres on a president’s dilemma in making a decision over whether to contest an election or not, received massive airplay during that government’s endless activities to transition from military to civilian rule, lasting eighteen months at the top of the Nigerian hit music charts, before being knocked off by a popular chant song developed by masses in many deep recesses of downtown Nigeria. In awe, Sani Abacha then did a remix version of the song, ingeniously using a million men to market it across the length and breath of the country in a way that made it the toast of politicians in the corridors of power, who with one voice then began to mouth the trendy chorus “the one and only man who can rule Nigeria;” and then Abacha suddenly died. Next came Olusegun Obasanjo, who gave the song its first innovative tinge. Despite a leaked demo version being in the public domain, he openly declared that he was waiting on God to give him direction on whether to release the theme song or not. Obasanjo’s leaked demo song got frequent airplay despite the fact that the song wasn’t on his debut album and was belatedly released in the Aso Rock studio in 2003. It however enabled him to achieve mainstream success when elections finally arrived. An attempt by Obasanjo four years later to use similar tactics failed woefully when people detected a nasty rough cough in his smooth singing voice. The discordant tones he emitted were a distraction from the melody contained within the song so that people barely listened to his message and all Obasanjo’s efforts to regain airplay were lost.
Today, Jonathan has placed a 2014 release date on his own album, even though a bootleg version is already available in public circulation two years ahead of time. Producers at Jonathan’s PDP Record Label decided against airing his effort this 2012 after becoming aware that the tunes are a bit too upbeat, and don’t fit the tone of the currently trending songs people are keying into. Mindful of the experience of the Obasanjo flop song, they will instead release in 2014 under a gold-embossed album entitled, Political Realities.
ZingerNotes observes that it has become trendy for a Nigerian president to every four years release a song and then put himself up for re-election, always in the belief that a popular sing-along tune will buy him goodwill and a return to Aso Rock. If all goes according to plan, “know not if I’ll contest elections” will become the most re-recorded song in Nigeria’s tethering 52 year history, beating the old sold out classic, “Fellow Nigerians” to second place. END

SATIRE 2

Goodluck Jonathan releases rap album to support re-election bid

In an apparent move to boost popularity and energize youth support for his bid to contest for the presidency in 2015, President Goodluck Jonathan released a rap album yesterday.
The first single from the album, titled ‘I run the creeks’ was broadcast simultaneously on MTV Base and Channel O last night.
The President who performs under the moniker Goodluck ‘dollarsign’ Jay is seen at the beginning of the music video stepping out of a private jet with two hot looking air hostesses by his side. He then gets into a Range Rover sports SUV with spinning gold rims and is chauffeured through the streets of Yenagoa in a convoy of security vehicles. GEJ then steps out of the vehicle at a fishing village and exchanges hugs with a mean looking thug in camouflage.
At this point a heavy bass drum beat suddenly begins the music and the President removes his trade mark bowler hat and exchanges it for a baseball cap, signifying his transformation from politician to rapper.
He then walks through the creeks of Yenagoa rapping and making the flamboyant hand signs as is usual among rappers.
Insiders who spoke on condition of anonymity said that the presidential rap idea was floated after the Presidency found it difficult to recruit any A list music stars for his new presidential project.
Some lyrics from the song include:
Y’all that want to steal better be real/eat your money and don’t mess with me/If you think I’m lying ask Sylvia and Ibori/I said I would not run for the seat in 2015/ who on earth do you think I’m kiddin?
A CPC spokesperson immediately highlighted these lyrics as evidence of a selective corruption war, and also that the President was planning to run in 2015. END

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Feel That Goodluck Jonathan Isn't Doing What He Was Elected To Do? / Politics, Article, A Review–oshiomhole Vs Airhiavbere: A Tale Of Certificate / How Prophet T.b.joshua Predicted Kaduna Governor Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.