Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,790 members, 7,882,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 01:23 PM

Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? (11381 Views)

Tips On Stretching Your Relaxers For Hair Health And Growth / Best Hair Relaxers Or Cream For Darkening Of Hair / Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Jutresbien: 9:46am On Dec 05, 2012
My daughter is about 6 and has started using relaxer. A friend said its dangerous. Anyone knows what the danger is? When did u or ur kids start?
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by zayhal(f): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2012
Why use relaxer on a 6 year old? Is her hair very tough to comb? Even at that, there are better remedies. I wouldn't use relaxer on a 6 year old, too much chemicals that may eventually damage her hair. At that age, they look sweeter with everything natural. My opinion.

7 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by moonbaby(f): 12:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
zayhal: Why use relaxer on a 6 year old? Is her hair very tough to comb? Even at that, there are better remedies. I wouldn't use relaxer on a 6 year old, too much chemicals that may eventually damage her hair. At that age, they look sweeter with everything natural. My opinion.

Quite agree with Zayhal, relaxer on a 6 year old is dangerous....there r other things you could consider, one of them is depending on your location, you cld use hair straightener to straighten the hair if the hair is coarse/tough....this works well...I remember my niece, she is someone with a coarse hair that she cries when she wants to comb the hair, the mother started using straightener on the hair and this did help....but remember to apply hair cream to the hair prior to using the straightener and don't set the straightener to high heat.

1 Like

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
For me, I think it's also too early to use hair straightner on a 6yrs old girl's hair. It does the same work as that of a relaxer but not in a damaging way.

Relaxers, hair straightners et al should be introduced when they are teenagers. At least at that age, they can handle their hair themselves the way they like but before they get to that age, let us help them grow and care for their hair in the best possible way.

I would prefer you let her grow her natural hair; the relaxed hair will fall off with time.

To care for natural hair, please get shea butter(ori). You can add coconut oil too(to cure dandruff). Shea butter helps to soften the hair thus making combing and braiding much easier. That is what I use and it has helped me in managing my new growth.

You can also surf to get various methods on how to handle natural hair.

1 Like

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Jutresbien: 4:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
Thanks. I'll have to stop. Her natural hair is really difficult to manage though. Lets see how it goes with shea butter and leave-in conditioner.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Lasinoh: 7:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
Use a texturizer instead of a relaxer!
Gentler and moder. kiss
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store/

i buy products for my daughters hair here - i refuse to use relaxer on her hair until she finishes her GCSE's - if we knew the chemicals in a lot of the hair products for black hair we would weep

2 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by 3direct: 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
The moment she start growing pubic hair grin grin

1 Like

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by kokoye(m): 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
go watch Chris Rock's documentary - Good Hair.

4 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by fukcwitme(f): 8:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
Wait till she's old enough so she can decide if she wants to relax her hair or keep it natural
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by tinventor(m): 8:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
**sigh**

i wish i will see more topics on **how do i beautify my baby's brain**

neva forget, a lady can cash up fashion in 3days, but can neva catch up education, talents and skills if lost.

parents need to direct their kids towards books and skills acquisition and lest put fashion aside

dont forget 2% of nigerian student passed GCE of recent

**sighs** sorry if i was off topic

3 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
My mother relaxed my hair for the first time when I was four years old. Granted it was ages ago and probably the only thing she knew at the time, I've always wondered, in my adult life, why she did it so early. I never experienced my relaxed hair falling off, or the dangers of it, contrary to what others have said. My hair's always been long as my mom knew how to take care of it. For me, it's more of me wishing that she allowed me to grow my hair in its natural state and accept my natural hair as a part of who I am.

Is there such a thing as unmanageable hair? I think any type of hair can be managed, just that it's harder for some types to be managed.

If I were in your shoes, I would look for products that can soften your daughter's hair and make it easier to comb. There are plenty of YouTube videos and hair forums like www.longhaircareforum.com that offer hair advice to women of color. I think it's best that your daughter learns her natural hair and makes the decision to relax on her own. It is hard trying to get off a relaxer in your later years. I have tried and failed twice already lol. I'm trying again though, so wish me luck.

3 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by paulicoco: 8:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
Pls do not use relaxer on her hair. Let her learn to love her kinky curls, all u need to know is how to maintain the hair. Moisturising the hair properly and using the good things ( shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil), will allow healthy and beautiful hair growth. Africans are destroying their beauty by rubbing all kinds of shit on the body n hair.... Giving the white man all the glory! Pls educate urself

2 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
I thought there are relaxers for kids? My nieces have started using relaxers since 5yrs old.go to the market and buy relaxer for kids.its very good and mild on the scalp.
Jutresbien: Thanks. I'll have to stop. Her natural hair is really difficult to manage though. Lets see how it goes with shea butter and leave-in conditioner.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Tyche(m): 8:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
When she's 18.

1 Like

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by ignis: 8:36pm On Dec 05, 2012
8 years old.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Clemzy16(m): 9:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
I'm a guy! Don't really know much about girls stuff. But i'd advise you use ''Virgin''. Hair relaxer can be dangerous to her at that tender age.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
cotton101: http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store/

i buy products for my daughters hair here - i refuse to use relaxer on her hair until she finishes her GCSE's - if we knew the chemicals in a lot of the hair products for black hair we would weep

Thank you cotton101; exactly my view point!
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 05, 2012
she must have been watching you since she was toddler, why are you complaining now?
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by skyfall: 10:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
Go and watch the documentary GOOD HAIR by Chris Rock.

It'll answer your question perfectly.

I have it, wish I could send it to you.

2 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by weaseloo: 10:31pm On Dec 05, 2012
I was recently confused over this issue, whether or not to put chemical on my daugther's hair (she is 2). Her daddy warned me not to even think of cutting her hair. I tried conditioning her hair after washing, straightening it, using Ori i.e. shea butter. But there was only a temporary change. The shea butter worked beautifully, it allowed me comb her hair. But her hair still had rough ends and gets difficult to comb hours after.

I eventually used a texturiser (I understand it does not contain the activator). I applied it on her hair, very quickly, combed it, and washed it off without even waiting. It did the job, straightened her hair and I can at least pack it unlike before. And anything done on her hair now lasts longer. It has saved me frequent trips to the salon.

This is my experience, it is still a personal decision whether or not to do this.

3 Likes

Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Yewe2011(m): 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2012
why are you using relaxers on your daughter's hair?

are you ashamed of her hair texture?
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Localamos(m): 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
zayhal: Why use relaxer on a 6 year old? Is her hair very tough to comb? Even at that, there are better remedies. I wouldn't use relaxer on a 6 year old, too much chemicals that may eventually damage her hair. At that age, they look sweeter with everything natural. My opinion.

@ Zayha: Nice response,but which are the better remedies you could advice?
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by madamebebe(f): 11:05pm On Dec 05, 2012
Use hair conditioner as hair cream on black hair! wink It does the trick. To seal in the moisture, you can use any of these oils: olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil etc .. Do not wash it off, our hair is different.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 06, 2012
Let her be at least 10.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Nobody: 1:22am On Dec 06, 2012
http://www.softandbeautifulhair.com/children-products/jfm-vip-club.aspx

She's 7 and that's what I use for her, doesn't hurt and the hair is very smooth to braid, as long as you take care of it and follow up with the regimen, you'd be fine.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by zumbigbo(m): 2:15am On Dec 06, 2012
Google side effects of chemicals in hair relaxers - (breast cancer, hormone disruption, birth defects) : chemical remnants are even found in the liver of women post-death. Use at your peril!
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by Originalsly: 2:23am On Dec 06, 2012
Is it a must to change the natural texture of the hair? Check yourself...educate yourself...respect yourself. If you believe the natural hair is not Good Hair...then sorry to say...you are brainwashed and abeg...don't start brainwashing your child. Now you know there are ways of managing hair with natural products so please...forget about relaxers and conditioners and straighteners and perms and whatever that are laden with chemicals that will work its way from the hair into the scalp, the blood vessels and eventually into the brain. Never forget...Lauryn Hill (singer) was well on her way to the top when she decided to go natural...dreadlocks. They said that would be a great set back for her. They were wrong...she ended up gracing the covers of more glossy magazines than any other Black woman period. Now go get a copy of Chris Rock's DVD Good Hair. Amen.
Re: Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? by lajdupont: 2:35am On Dec 06, 2012
Say 9 Our Fathers,
Eternal father please open the window of heaven and pour us out a financial blessing so great that there isn't enough room for us to receive it all. We pray that you will bless us indeed enlarge our territory and that your hands will be with us to keep us save from evil and that we may not cause pain. Thank you heavenly father for granting our request.

Say 9 Hail Mary and repeat prayer beginning with "Eternal Father.
(Quote) (Report) (Like)f more glossy magazines than any other Black woman period. Now go get a copy of Chris Rock's DVD Good Hair. Amen.[/quote]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Over 100 Organic And Promixing Recipes For Learners And Professionals / How Much Could You Spend On A Pair Of Trousers? / Nike Davies-Okundayo On The Cover Of Genevieve Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.