Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,400 members, 7,881,453 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:01 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (665) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (11152693 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (662) (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) ... (7860) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Primetech(m): 3:17pm On Mar 12, 2015
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megainvest: 3:49pm On Mar 12, 2015
Primetech:

Is this good? What prospects for dividend and capital appreciation?

Not as good as expected.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by natruetalk: 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2015
megainvest:

Not as good as expected.

Q3 EPS 28, full year EPS 31

am expecting 15 - 18k dividend dis time. more than dis will be a surprise

myjoy what is d dividend ?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Primetech(m): 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2015
natruetalk:

likely bonus issue
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by feelamong(m): 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
natruetalk:

a poor result as expected when compared to Afriprud..

lets look at 15k and then watch it drop back to 1.30
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BizBloke(m): 4:33pm On Mar 12, 2015
Following... grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Sokijosh: 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2015
fulfillment2020:
Tony Elumelu the NSE manipulator, Afriprud, UBcap, UBA and Transcorp.
@ all, when did guys enter the bus or train? You guys dont want the newbies to learn the ropes but why na?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2015
grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Sokijosh: 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2015
myjoy08:

I have to congratulate team Transcorp, Ubcap, Fcmb, Fidelity, Uba etc. once again. Enjoy your loots ooooo!
chop alone with coded language full this forum.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by alexo68(m): 5:47pm On Mar 12, 2015
Hello my people,well done for all your insights and advice. I am based abroad and i have just transferred money to my broker, is it safe with them even if i don't use it just in case they cease business or the like. Thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megainvest: 6:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
alexo68
It depends on who your broker is. Some are reliable and some are not.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by natruetalk: 6:29pm On Mar 12, 2015
immanuello:
please what is really going to happen in Nem pls as third quarter eps seems 40kobo if i'm not mistaken so what is the expectations of markets players. Can Nem pay atleast 10kobo or do their usual management chopping and coming under disguise of negative earnings that will make the retarded pay paltry 6kobo.

bro don't take Nem quarterly report serious else u will develop high bp when Audited report release. certainly they will give out their normal dividend & i expect dis to continue until mkt stabilise to raise more capital. "Let continue encouraging our shareholder toward capital raise attitude"

my 1 cent...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stockbull(m): 8:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
pdozie:
Guys please this question has been asked in this thread but the answer(s) were not too clear. Kindly help clarify:
Regarding STOP LIMIT, I know its used to set the price at which you want to buy/sell a stock. But lets look at the BUY/SELL scenarios:

BUY:
- Current Price = N5
Assuming I want to wait for price to drop to N4 before buying
- Price Type = STOP LIMIT
- Price Limit = N4
- STOP price = ?? (What should this be please/ or what is it?)

SELL:
- Current Price = N5
Assuming I want to wait for price to reach N7 to execute
- Price Limit = N7
- STOP price = ?? (What should this be please)

Kind regards
you can not use stop price and price limit at the same time for trading shares on NSE...only one out of the two will be effective.let me tell u before further explanation,your broker enters your limit price irrespective of the type of order once you don't mandate "market order".....for example on "buy"' the "stop price" works on down trend while "price limit" is on up trend....what do I mean,your stop price is below while d other is above. when the price gets to N4.0,it triggers your mandate and the stock is bought whereas your price limit MUST'VE been above 4.0 when you're setting the trade. when you set this trade, your broker turns it to "price limit" and input 4.0(technically).the flaw is that,if the stock fails to touch 4.0 assuming that's your stop price,d order is not filled and if peradventure it gap up and trade above 4.20 assuming that's your limit price, the order is not filled and also if the Order is not completely filled between the band 4.0 and 4.20.when the stock trade @3.99 or below,your order is not executed since the broker had imagined that you will not buy if the sentiment turns negative as downward momenturn may persist....... HOPE you get it now and the inverse on sell order..
NB:the two orders could be used in a very volatile market like FX and there're RISK involved.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by immanuello(m): 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
myjoy08:
http://www.nse.com.ng/Financial_NewsDocs/8721_UNITED_CAPITAL_2014_AUDITED_ACCTS_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2015.pdf
Hmmm, nothing surprising, its just the way we all know it would be. i had one time say it here that a possibility of 10-15kobo maybe paid cos i objectively couldn't see how they could make much this year 2014.But i just couldn't believed my eye when it rose from #1.51 to #1.73 when i expected a correction from #1.51 back to #1.32 but some people have forgotten that the way afriprudential made her money is quite different from ubcap and they had an edge as seen from their quarterly result of 2014.Well ubcap may now be on its way to perhaps #1.26 and even bcom lower if first quarter result is damn poor which may be poss except they have gotten a new way to survive or boycott lower earnings avenue and has switch to a more profitable alternative like the way some two banks did by leaving the interest bearing asset which the "cost of fund" and tighten terrain had made them make flat profit or loss and channel their strength to non- interest segment where they hit huge.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by immanuello(m): 9:34pm On Mar 12, 2015
natruetalk:

bro don't take Nem quarterly report serious else u will develop high bp when Audited report release. certainly they will give out their normal dividend & i expect dis to continue until mkt stabilise to raise more capital. "Let continue encouraging our shareholder toward capital raise attitude"

my 1 cent...

Thank you!!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by immanuello(m): 9:44pm On Mar 12, 2015
makashava:
transcorp will outform just wondering the dividend #? Tgt @ 4.5
With 21kobo for third quarter and a possible 27-29kobo full year dividend and a possibility of 10-12kobo dividend.To me as a value investor, this stock is still hyped /overpriced cos of future projection stories which were sold into mr market mind-library and let see the coming to reality of these unproved fictional headline tony mafian sold to players. Well may the best poker trader wins!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Jsmile(m): 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2015
Today is my first time to buy from the secondary market through my broker, eurocomm securities, though the woman that attended to me said they may buy today or tomorrow but I was like wondering how am gonna receive dividend on it kind of. bought first bank.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Debeloved87(m): 10:28pm On Mar 12, 2015
Hi Everyone
EARN MONEY AT THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME
invest in this program and earn every month, Click https://www.paidverts.com/ref/paulscholes
you cant register without a referral,so click the link above to get started, i will give you an ebook free on how to go about it, dont worry its very easy all you need is Internet facilities,time and patience. You will start earning even without investing, but the more you invest the greater your profit, this program is tested and trusted
https://www.paidverts.com/ref/paulscholes
Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Moneysage: 10:40pm On Mar 12, 2015
@pdozie: The answers to your questions are these:

BUY, STOP price = 4
SELL, STOP price = 7

Bro, STOP simply means "trigger", "execute", "ogbeni broker do something". grin

Hence, going by your question your STOP prices are defined by the statements that begin with "Assuming..." Do you get it?

Maybe you should have rather asked about Price limits: LIMIT simply means "ogbeni broker, don't touch my portfolio when the price don reach dis level, biko"

Now, let's slot this tutorial into your question again:
BUY... Current price =5
STOP price =4 (execute, do something)
Price limit = You should fix this price BELOW 4; and this could mean either 3.5 or 2.7 or 0.9 or anything below 4 (i.e you're telling your broker not to buy again when the price falls below this level). Now, why on earth will anyone wanna do this? Tell your broker not to buy below 2.7 when the stock can be bought for 1.5??

This, perhaps explains why the STOP limit is rarely used (as @stockbull mentioned), EXCEPT if you want to fix the STOP price and the PRICE limit at the same level (as I answered earlier on). And that would mean: "Broker, please BUY this stock when it fall to 4(stop) , but don't buy below 4(limit) ". Still sounds VERY weird! This explains why the LIMIT PRICE ONLY is usually used and would be chosen by the broker if a confusing order is placed.

NB: I'm not sure one can place a LIMIT price ABOVE a STOP price. What a clumsy BUY order that would be!

#I wish I can do the SELL scenario, but it's late this night.
#I also hope this helps
#I stand to be corrected

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by MilikiAgent: 11:23pm On Mar 12, 2015
But wait o, is it true that Jonathan visited NSE today, in Lagos "to launch a new online mobile platform, known as X-Gen, to increase local investment"?
Biko, isnt this what we have all been using since 2013? And which even the NSE celebrated its successful one year anniversary last year?

http://www.nse.com.ng/mediacenter/pressreleases/Pages/X-GEN-Celebrates-Successful-One-Year-Anniversary.aspx
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 13, 2015
@Moneysage and Stockbull; I suggest you read the article from Investopedia. The explanation is quite different from yours. Also, the investment philosophy is premised on the notion that you you BUY when a stock shows upward momentum, hence the BUY mandate for a STOP-LIMIT trade is to protect short positions. The SELL mandate for STOP-LIMIT trade is to protect long positions. For example, if I am interested in buying/selling Transcorp. Based on this philosophy, my instruction will look like this:

BUY MANDATE
Current price = N2.97
Stop price = N3.10 (assumed upper breakout price/start of a bull run)
Limit price = N3.2 (if my order isn't filled before this price, oga broker bone)

SELL MANDATE
Current price = N2.97
Stop price = N2.70 (if this stock can lose 10% from current price,then I smell blood - bears on the prowl)
Limit price = N2.50 (Please don't sell below this price, don't wanna sell my stocks for peanuts undecided )

Note that the limit price might have to be removed to have your mandate FILLED. This type of order is called STOP LOSS (limit price is not included from onset).

As you both stated, the stop price triggers the mandate or makes it active.

@Pdozie; I believe you understand clearly now and also see that your investment philosophy is to BUY as low as possible and SELL as high as possible. Hence your confusion with the STOP-LIMIT order. In your example, this order type should not even be applicable but let's adapt it and see what it would look like.

BUY:
- Current Price = N5
Assuming I want to wait for price to drop to N4 before buying
- Price Limit = N4 (remember your philosophy is to buy as low as possible, even if na car park grin )
- STOP price = N4 (What should this be please/ or what is it?) Activates your mandate

SELL:
- Current Price = N5
Assuming I want to wait for price to reach N7 to execute
- Price Limit = N7 (Your broker might think you have gone crazy if you include this)
- STOP price = N7 (What should this be please)

Sorry for taking up so much space and please don't quote just reference. This is my understanding of the subject matter. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by 9free(m): 12:20am On Mar 13, 2015
MilikiAgent:
But wait o, is it true that Jonathan visited NSE today, in Lagos "to launch a new online mobile platform, known as X-Gen, to increase local investment"?
Biko, isnt this what we have all been using since 2013? And which even the NSE celebrated its successful one year anniversary last year?

http://www.nse.com.ng/mediacenter/pressreleases/Pages/X-GEN-Celebrates-Successful-One-Year-Anniversary.aspx
Bros, no be naija you dey? Onyema and SEC DG never contribute their share for 2015 election campaign nah...... GEJ tactically go collect their own donations to the course.
No be me talk am oo, na wetin I hear from SMN I write.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Moneysage: 5:38am On Mar 13, 2015
@kotlass: Thanks for the submission - and it's clarity. With all humility, I had read the investopedia article. Yours sincerely was even one of the folks who discussed this issue on this thread about a year ago and, though Oga Elai 147 and Meristem did a good explanation, it was the investopedia page that settled my quest.

Your answer to @pdozie's challenge (in the later part of your post) and my straight forward answer to him (lines 2 and 3 of my last post) are ONE and the SAME.

@pdozie: The Transcorp trade scenario painted by @kotlass (which I also thought about and have been trading by) is the correct usage of the stop orders. Where your question went awry is that the situation you called BUY should have been a SELL situation, and vice versa.

If the question remains as you put it, it surely won't make much sense to any broker. He will just simply use any LIMIT you put [however low(for your BUY situation) or high(for your sell situation)] or ignore your order and tie wrapper, sit down, wear face cap, and expect you to call... grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stockbull(m): 8:11am On Mar 13, 2015
@kotlass.I got u right.it was the explanation of the flaw that I got it wrong.I had wanted to put the lower band below the stop price and upper band above the limit price.thanks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pdozie: 9:11am On Mar 13, 2015
stockbull:
@kotlass.I got u right.it was the explanation of the flaw that I got it wrong.I had wanted to put the lower band below the stop price and upper band above the limit price.thanks

@Moneysage, @Stockbull, @Kotlass

I appreciate your responses a great lot. So it actually means when I ask my broker to buy a stock for me, he will be executing a SELL mandate. And If I ask him to sell any of my shares he is executing a BUY mandate (Hmm.. a bit confusing).
Looking at the attached screen shot from Meristem, When I want to acquire share, I chose buy and they take my money. That's why I was using it as a BUY mandate.

I lost an opportunity of selling a particular share when i travelled and had no access to internet. When I returned the share price had jumped down again. That is why I'm trying to learn how to use either LIMIT or STOP LIMIT for future.

[s]What I get afterall from the explainations is, to execute a SELL MANDATE (Buying shares at lower price), I should set both the STOP PRICE and LIMIT price to be same.
And to excute a BUY MANDATE (Sell my shares at higher price), I should a STOP PRICE no LIMIT PRICE.[/s]

I'm sorry if i seem to be dragging this as Olodo...

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Dragonking: 9:35am On Mar 13, 2015
Is pre market looking good?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 13, 2015
@Pdozie; BUY is BUY, SELL is SELL biko. Lol. Discuss your intention with your broker. They sure would help out.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Moneysage: 9:46am On Mar 13, 2015
(Sorry NSEMPA for this LONG dialogue)

@pdozie: I'm afraid you're getting this a bit twisted.

Now, permit me to reiterate what oga kotlass earlier explained:

If you want to place a BUY order for ANY stock using the STOP LIMIT, you MUST place your PRICE LIMIT above the STOP price. E.g. X is trading at 2.5 and you want to BUY, your STOP PRICE could be 2.51 or 2.6 and your PRICE LIMIT could be 2.9(i.e you don't wanna buy that stock for more than 2.9)

If you want to place a SELL order for ANY stock using the STOP LIMIT, you MUST place your PRICE LIMIT below the STOP price. E.g. X is trading at 2.5 and you want to SELL, your STOP PRICE could be 2.45 or 2.40 and your PRICE LIMIT could be 2.35(i.e you don't wanna sell that stock for less than 2.35)

If memory serves me right, the position of Meritrade when we discussed this issue last is that: On the Meritrade platform, you would see 3 different types of orders (LIMIT, MARKET, STOP LIMIT). The LIMIT order was advised to be used.

Hence, if you're traveling and won't be able to monitor your portfolio, just set a LIMIT order (for BUY or SELL). E.G the limit prices of stock X above. That means you don't want Meritrade to BUY above that price nor SELL below that price. Shikena

Please, @pdozie, DELETE ABSOLUTELY the second to the last paragraph of your last post. None of kotlass, Moneysage or stockbull implied the lines of your thought.

Regards.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 13, 2015
http://www.nse.com.ng/Financial_NewsDocs/8731_LAFARGE_WAPCO_AUDITED_DEC_2014_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2015.pdf

Proposed Dividend N3.50k
Proposed Bonus Nil
Qualification Date 24th April 2015
Closure Date 27th April – 1st May, 2015
AGM Date 22nd May, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Youngzedd(m): 10:23am On Mar 13, 2015
Dragonking:
Is pre market looking good?

Not encouraging.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Dragonking: 10:27am On Mar 13, 2015
myjoy08:
http://www.nse.com.ng/Financial_NewsDocs/8731_LAFARGE_WAPCO_AUDITED_DEC_2014_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2015.pdf

Proposed Dividend N3.50k
Proposed Bonus Nil
Qualification Date 24th April 2015
Closure Date 27th April – 1st May, 2015
AGM Date 22nd May, 2015

How is the market reacting to this news? sorry am disturbing but am not connected 2 itrade
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Dragonking: 10:28am On Mar 13, 2015
Youngzedd:

Not encouraging.

thank u.

(1) (2) (3) ... (662) (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) ... (7860) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: pappy2000, KarlTom, Jerry59, educasn, customstreet, nosa2(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.