Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,827 members, 7,930,850 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 10:11 AM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30382 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2012
Abagworo:

There is no city in the Southwest better than Aba, apart from Lagos. Your judgement is rather based on pictures of bad areas posted by Abians who are frank in criticizing their non-performing Governor. You hide under the cloak of pride and tribalism and live in those backard cities of Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ibadan, Ife, Ilesha, Abeokuta etc. And refuse to show the world how bad the situation is.

Better in what sense? Economically? Just review my posts on this thread. You should know better and this isn't about pictures but GDPs and IGRs. How is the size of an economy determined? The GDP figures cannot be ignored and the GDP of Lagos, Ogun and Oyo are higher than that Abia while their IGRs are also higher.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by londoner: 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
Is Ibadan not in Nigeria?

If there is good news from there, it is good for Nigeria....no?

Also Nigeria does not begin and end with one region, state or tribe.

It is only when all corners are doing well that Nigeria can be said to be doing well.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Abagworo(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

This easily explains the rush to the SW by your people and why less Yorubas are interested in traveling to the barren lands of the east

Only natives of Lagos can proudly claim the above. Natives of Rivers and Abuja can claim that as well with regards to non-natives..
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by aljharem(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Abagworo:

Only natives of Lagos can proudly claim the above.

Ok I am a native of lagos and proud to claim that statement. grin grin grin grin grin jk jk wink Vanity

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Abagworo:

Only natives of Lagos can proudly claim the above.

I'm from Lagos but proudly Yoruba and you can't compare the number of Yorubas in Igboland to the number of Igbos in Yorubaland outside Lagos. They are all over the SW which they describe as desolate while Yorubas do not in anyway find the SE attractive for any economic reason

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by londoner: 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Is Ibadan not in Nigeria?

It is only when all corners are doing well that Nigeria can be said to be doing well.

There last time I checked.......statistics that take the whole country into account, are not looking so good that people should have time to engage in this type of argument.

I have to say this.....it is usually the Nigerian men and their d.!ck measuring that causes this on NL.

And they say it is we women that engage in cat fights....lol
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ak47mann(m): 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
barren land? this boy u really need help,the reason we have few yorubas in the east is that most of you guys cant challenge competitiveness in the east mumu... either u like it or not,my state in an oil producing state with self reliance,private refinery,biggest market in Africa all this things are documented,but with all ur bragging u dont have a refinery in the whole region

I have told you that already,u are not smart,u cant pull out tangible facts to challenge me KID cool
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Abagworo(m): 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2012
alj harem:

Ok I am a native of lagos and proud to claim that statement. grin grin grin grin grin jk jk wink Vanity

Where did you appear from my old friend?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 3:00pm On Dec 16, 2012
ak47mann: barren land? this boy u really need help,the reason we have few yorubas in the east is that most of you guys cant challenge competitiveness in the east mumu... either u like it or not,my state in an oil producing state with self reliance,private refinery,biggest market in Africa all this things are documented,but with all ur bragging u dont have a refinery in the whole region

I have told you that already,u are not smart,u cant pull out tangible facts to challenge me KID cool

A big market that contributes nothing to the state's bottom line in terms of IGR and GDP is nothing but a village square joint and I've been posting figures and links which support my claims but you just immaturely and emotionally rant
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by solomonkane(m): 3:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Have to say the comments on this thread and similar threads are beyond imbecilic and show how idiotic the posters are. You accursed Igbo & Yoruba bigots really need to get lives; your mates are out there doing big things with their lives, you are spending yours trolling about whose slum is bigger and whose poo smells more like the bastards that you are. That Ibadan has enormous potentials is an indisputable fact, deal with it.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
alj harem:

geez*:

I'm from Lagos but proudly Yoruba and you can't compare the number of Yorubas in Igboland to the number of Igbos in Yorubaland outside Lagos. They are all over the SW which they describe as desolate while Yorubas do not in anyway find the SE attractive for any economic reason

Lobatan grin grin
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by solomonkane(m): 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2012
londoner: Is Ibadan not in Nigeria?

There last time I checked.......statistics that take the whole country into account, are not looking so good that people should have time to engage in this type of argument.

I have to say this.....it is usually the [b]Nigerian men [/b]and their d.!ck measuring that causes this on NL.

And they say it is we women that engage in cat fights....lol

LMAO!!! That is a lie my dear and you know it, so many of these useless bigots are also women, take your time going through the thread (and similar ones) and see them for yourself. You know that in reality; most of them are failures who have never achieved any meaningful thing in their lives (apart from access to free internet).
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2012
This thread was not suppose to turn ugly. It was simply to report what the Financial Times said, i.e that Ibadan is one of the five cities in Africa to watch for future investment. Some of our Igbo brothers don't like that for whatever reason. Talk of bad belle.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by londoner: 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2012
solomonkane:

LMAO!!! That is a lie my dear and you know it, so many of these useless bigots are also women, take your time going through the thread (and similar ones) and see them for yourself. You know that in reality; most of them are failures who have never achieved any meaningful thing in their lives (apart from access to free internet).

No actually, there are just one or two women, who in fact usually are engaged with men in these "back and forths". You hardly find it between women posters, and even when they do, they do not take up pages and pages and attract other women to join it.

Its a disgrace and it is plain for all here to see.......its a male ego/d!*k measuring contest almost every day here.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 16, 2012
demmy: This thread was not suppose to turn ugly. It was simply to report what the Financial Times said, i.e that Ibadan is one of the five cities in Africa to watch for future investment. Some of our Igbo brothers don't like that for whatever reason. Talk of bad belle.
Exactly, bt d first tribalistic comment was made by a yoruba. Yes, he started comparing d financial times stories to d east, n d rest of u followed suit(review d posts if u lyk) . But den d igbos here r now tellin u dat we r aware its nt well with u dat we are all over naija(go to d north) n making tnz happen plus d fact we own tnz in d east. Aside of cos, d yorubas dt sell moi moi in d evnings @ enugu which cant compete with d biz @ Aba,nnewi,onitsha.
Plus,u shd drop ur IGR stuff cos dey r goin back to d govt dat put dem in lagos. U ppl r only lucky u r proximal to lagos,hence d spill over. I repeat,most tnz in d sw r for foreigners,fed govt n Igbos. U ppl lyk d hausas dnt own much in d east but full ground here(@ owerri road). u personally resorted to insults wch is a sign of defeat.
however, am nt goin to engage in any further cross-arguements wt u cos i knw u relish dat. N to prove hw predictable u are, u wil disagree wt me
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
ngozievergreen:
Exactly, bt d first tribalistic comment was made by a yoruba. Yes, he started comparing d financial times stories to d east, n d rest of u followed suit(review d posts if u lyk) . But den d igbos here r now tellin u dat we r aware its nt well with u dat we are all over naija(go to d north) n making tnz happen plus d fact we own tnz in d east. Aside of cos, d yorubas dt sell moi moi in d evnings @ enugu which cant compete with d biz @ Aba,nnewi,onitsha.
Plus,u shd drop ur IGR stuff cos dey r goin back to d govt dat put dem in lagos. U ppl r only lucky u r proximal to lagos,hence d spill over. I repeat,most tnz in d sw r for foreigners,fed govt n Igbos. U ppl lyk d hausas dnt own much in d east but full ground here(@ owerri road). u personally resorted to insults wch is a sign of defeat.
however, am nt goin to engage in any further cross-arguements wt u cos i knw u relish dat. N to prove hw predictable u are, u wil disagree wt me
Quite down, go back and read what bushwailo wrote in the first page and stop laying wrong blames.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Abagworo(m): 8:38pm On Dec 16, 2012
demmy: This thread was not suppose to turn ugly. It was simply to report what the Financial Times said, i.e that Ibadan is one of the five cities in Africa to watch for future investment. Some of our Igbo brothers don't like that for whatever reason. Talk of bad belle.

You are a big liar. I came into this thread when someone wrote that Igbos are all over Southwest while Igboland is barren. He also wrote that Aba is poo. I can't shut my mouth while falsehood is being spread here in order to downgrade Igbos.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 16, 2012
Abagworo:

You are a big liar. I came into this thread when someone wrote that Igbos are all over Southwest while Igboland is barren. He also wrote that Aba is poo. I can't shut my mouth while falsehood is being spread here in order to downgrade Igbos.
dont mind dem, dats wat dey like doing
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Better in what sense? Economically? Just review my posts on this thread. You should know better and this isn't about pictures but GDPs and IGRs. How is the size of an economy determined? The GDP figures cannot be ignored and the GDP of Lagos, Ogun and Oyo are higher than that Abia while their IGRs are also higher.
Remove Lagos and the SW is dead economically, Agbara and Shagamu in Ogun are Lagos satelite industrial estate. I told you before and still repeat it now that Aba city alone has far more industries than Oyo state. I knw the SW as much as you do, so i challenge you to name the industries in Ibadan while i name those in Aba. Stop peddling Nigerian statistics, it does not prove anything, they are mere estimates of propaganda!

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2012
^^^^Why can't you open a separate thread about Aba and all its massive industries??
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 10:14pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

MYOPIC! The Igbos are the most adventurous and daring ethnic group in Nigeria, they are not just in the SW, they are all over Nigeria, Africa and beyond. From Lagos to Damaturu, Kinshasha to Niamey, the Igbos control the informal sector of West Africa. I dont blame you, you have not ventured out of Ogbomoso, So wont know that.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 11:03pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Obviously the land is barren and retrogressive because I still don't even understand why the few ones that do some business here can't even replicate such in the SE. There are opportunities in the SW because successive governments have created the platform for businesses to thrive which is largely absent in the SE. And you're the same people that scream 'divide us' the most. Anyway I can't wait for that day
UNINTELIGENT! The Chinese are all over the world doing what they know how best to do, does it now depict that China is backward? Please allow me to teach you basic economics. When someone produces goods or services at a cheaper rate than his contemporaries, due to his skills or better opportunities, he is said to have comparative advantage. This is the reason why you find the Chinese in Angola or Igbos in Mali, its not because the places are more developed, rather they move from stiff competition at home to virgin areas they can dominate. You see why Igbos are really smart? Go to any spare part market in Sub-saharan Africa, you will marvel at how the Igbos control the supply chain and the most interesting aspect is that they make Nnewi their hub!

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Your life will be miserable for the rest of it if for any reason you or any member of your family makes a living from, lives in or transacts business in the SW
ameeeeeeeeeeeeen
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Rossikk(m): 11:47pm On Dec 16, 2012
Tusky44: Determinants of a city with potential include but are not limited to the following:

Skill pool of talents NOT Yoruba, Alakija, Oluwole, Agboro, Baba Ijebu, Juju man etc.

World-class infrastructure NOT useless road and railway, dirty corner shops (kiosk), no electricity, poo infested hospitals etc.

Decent housing for immigrants NOT rusty roof sheets on old buildings, and mud houses with babalawo inside.

Good & healthy food for residents NOT Amala & ewedu with one gallon of oil, ewa and gbegiri, eforiro with sand and leaf.

So can someone tell me why any investor would want to head for Ibadan? Clean up that state and then we can have a conversation but until then, dream on undecided

There are many cities in India that definitely do not have ''world class infrastructure'', yet are booming with foreign investment and local innovation. As for their food, the less said about that the better.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ak47mann(m): 12:59am On Dec 17, 2012
Biafra rep: UNINTELIGENT! The Chinese are all over the world doing what they know how best to do, does it now depict that China is backward? Please allow me to teach you basic economics. When someone produces goods or services at a cheaper rate than his contemporaries, due to his skills or better opportunities, he is said to have comparative advantage. This is the reason why you find the Chinese in Angola or Igbos in Mali, its not because the places are more developed, rather they move from stiff competition at home to virgin areas they can dominate. You see why Igbos are really smart? Go to any spare part market in Sub-saharan Africa, you will marvel at how the Igbos control the supply chain and the most interesting aspect is that they make Nnewi their hub!
do u mind this unintelligent yoruba boy,when i chat with him i found out that he is not exposed,he still into his yorobatic way of life....

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ezeagu(m): 1:17am On Dec 17, 2012
Rossikk: As for their food, the less said about that the better.

Why?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by manny4life(m): 1:49am On Dec 17, 2012
Biafra rep: UNINTELIGENT! The Chinese are all over the world doing what they know how best to do, does it now depict that China is backward? Please allow me to teach you basic economics. When someone produces goods or services at a cheaper rate than his contemporaries, due to his skills or better opportunities, he is said to have comparative advantage. This is the reason why you find the Chinese in Angola or Igbos in Mali, its not because the places are more developed, rather they move from stiff competition at home to virgin areas they can dominate. You see why Igbos are really smart? Go to any spare part market in Sub-saharan Africa, you will marvel at how the Igbos control the supply chain and the most interesting aspect is that they make Nnewi their hub!

WONDERFUL... A lot of folks need serious tutoring on basic economics...lol
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by manny4life(m): 1:55am On Dec 17, 2012
Rossikk:

There are many cities in India that definitely do not have ''world class infrastructure'', yet are booming with foreign investment and local innovation. As for their food, the less said about that the better.

This isn't about "world class", just like I argued on a thread about Nigerians living in the U.S., , at least, standard will suffice. There's no way you'll expect a economic boom without standard infrastructures. Even China and India knows this that's why they focus on public infrastructures.

Your cities you refer to in India have better facilities and infrastructures in place to aid economic boom, and not the other way around. They have access to communication, transportation (MOST IMPORTANTLY), distribution networks, markets etc.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 17, 2012
Viewing this topic: manny4life(m), nnenna.1, ak47mann(m) and 1 guest(s)

my Ibhoe pipu camping on a Yoruba thread, like gentle vultures, how far? wink

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by manny4life(m): 2:50am On Dec 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Viewing this topic: manny4life(m), nnenna.1, ak47mann(m) and 1 guest(s)

my Ibhoe pipu camping on a Yoruba thread, like gentle vultures, how far? wink

Do you ever get tired of of barking like a toothless dog bickering?

If I call you shameless akwu** now, they'll say manny has started, he lacks respect... for the last time, bridle your tongue. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 2:59am On Dec 17, 2012
Call me whatever you want, as long as it calms you down.

You're awfully tensed up on this thread. I assumed that this was a joyful period. Ibadan is finally developing, so why the angst and tensed emotions?

Please, let us take this to 50 pages.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 3:03am On Dec 17, 2012
solomonkane: Have to say the comments on this thread and similar threads are beyond imbecilic and show how idiotic the posters are. You accursed Igbo & Yoruba bigots really need to get lives; your mates are out there doing big things with their lives, you are spending yours trolling about whose slum is bigger and whose poo smells more like the bastards that you are. That Ibadan has enormous potentials is an indisputable fact, deal with it.

Some people are being paid to give fake lessons on NL.

They'd rather prefer to talk about how "degrading" ibadan is, but when Ibadan's potentials are being actualized, they start bickering like helpless akwunas. I don't know how dirty onitsha has to do with this thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

I’m Eager To Return To Battle – Injured Obasanjo / Concerns Grow Over Buhari’s Incessant Foreign Trips / President Buhari Commissions Locomotives & Coaches For Abuja-Kaduna Rail Service

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.