Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,093 members, 7,939,416 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 03:51 AM

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo (21813 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Latest About Wonder Banks As Sanusi Takes Over Cbn Shame To Soludo / Cbn Revalues Naira, N20 To Be Highest Bill, Many Thanks To Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by tpia: 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ topic: it may not necessarily be only about the spraying, but also the mentality behind the spraying. cool
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:21pm On Feb 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

2) Has Soludo eliminated other possible factors to be sure that this one factor is the one to be dealt with?? NO, the notes in circulation are still of the same old low quality so how do we know for sure that the low quality is not contributing 50% of the problem as it has in the past

You truly do not get the point.
There's a law in place now to try to curb abuse of the naira. Such acts of abuse include writing on the naira, deliberately squeezing etc, and not just spraying of money.
We're only focusing now on spraying of money because we're responding to KSA's charges.
no one ever came out to ban ONLY spraying of money.
The low quality of the Naira isn't the point here. Does that make it right to damage the notes just because they aren't of the highest quality (by your reckoning)?

No one said this is the ONLY factor to be dealt with. But it's one of them.

Strangely enough i least expected YOU of all people to be on the side you currently occupy in this argument, simply because it's a proven fact that desire for ostentation and public displays of wealth that has made Nigeria into the cesspool of corruption it currently is today.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:22pm On Feb 19, 2008
emmydee:

@pahtahkee,
I quite agree with u. Naira notes should be reprinted often. and CBN should stop issuing very old notes to commercial banks. In fact, new notes should be reprinted yearly

Yup! Because everyone knows that it costs absolutely nothing to print new notes, right?

c'mon man!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Dreloaded(f): 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2008
We're not exactly the only people known for public display of wealth

edit: that aside I understand the complaints cos seriously a dirty naira note is utterly disgusting, enough to be used as a rag but you cant exactly go around telling people how they should spend THEIR money, be it at a wedding or in a striop club or some house party, whatever, it's the Nigerian govt that should look into making better notes so such issues wont come up. Do they intend on stalking market women who abuse the notes or maybe beggars? People should see the abuse dollars go thru here, some homeless people use it to wipe their ass and still spend the damn thing yet you'd still be able to spend the dirtiest dollar bill over the not so dirty naira.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Mamajama(m): 4:25pm On Feb 19, 2008
Spraying of naira should be the last issue on the government plate.  I think we have other issues that superseed this non- existence issue.  lets focus on building better roads, better housing, and stable economy.  This is nothing but a diversion in my opinion from the real issues confronting innocent Nigerians.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
pahtahkee:

Are there data to show what kind of disease can be gotten from dirty naira notes? You people just want to talk for talking sake. Cost of minting a naira note, than the original value is higher? What data exists in respect to that? How does spraying naira notes contribute to the deterioration of the naira?  

When we are jobless, we look for avenues to keep us busy. We need economical reforms not wasting our time on frivolities!
Kobojunkie:

You just made a valid assessment but you did not follow it with a very educated way of dealing with it. Again, Just cause I assume that a cause is attributed to an event does not give me 100% right to go ahead and decide without actually data to support my assumption/hypothesis, that the event needs to be eliminated. That is not the way things should continue to work in that country.

1) Research has to be done to collect data to show that the cause can be truly attributed to the cause. What data has been provided so far?? I am yet to see a single stat or research to say without a doubt that the problem stems from there. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

2) Has Soludo eliminated other possible factors to be sure that this one factor is the one to be dealt with?? NO, the notes in circulation are still of the same old low quality so how do we know for sure that the low quality is not contributing 50% of the problem as it has in the past

3) What about other currencies that are in circulation, I mean the dollar bills and the Euros that are equally being sprayed in Nigeria, are they also suffering the same fate?? or is it just the Naira that has the issue

etc.

I mean you can put a dollar bill in your laundry machine and wash it ,2 cycles too, and it still comes out intact and with practically no change. Try the same experiment with a naira note and tell me what result you get.

I hope you catch my drift now,

No I dont catch your drift, Should we continue spoiling it because its of inferior value? Is that your drift?

Dont you think if we start by stoppiing the abuse of Naira, it will encourage the government to print higer quality ones?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
texazzpete:

You truly do not get the point.
There's a law in place now to try to curb abuse of the naira. Such acts of abuse include writing on the naira, deliberately squeezing etc, and not just spraying of money.
We're only focusing now on spraying of money because we're responding to KSA's charges.
no one ever came out to ban ONLY spraying of money.
The low quality of the Naira isn't the point here. Does that make it right to damage the notes just because they aren't of the highest quality (by your reckoning)?

No one said this is the ONLY factor to be dealt with. But it's one of them.

Strangely enough i least expected YOU of all people to be on the side you currently occupy in this argument, simply because it's a proven fact that desire for ostentation and public displays of wealth that has made Nigeria into the cesspool of corruption it currently is today.

This is not the first Time that the government has campaigned for the people to take the Naira seriously. Even during Buhari's time in office, this same campaign was on. Do you realize this is not a new thing?? I remember vividly the many ads that would show people how they should put their money in wallets instead of their bras, in babangida's time the same happened, continued in Abacha's time as well. What was the result?? Not much change it seems but there was a brief period of success during Buhari's time which came to an end after he and his vice left office. So again, do not think I do not know what I mean when I say we should try other avenues instead of now going all out to bind the hands of the people. And if you read my arguments you would understand that this has never been about Spraying alone for me or for most debating this.

Public display of wealth is a right of the people. You may like it or you may not but we do not have to tie people down just cause you do not. We do not go around banning Goat head soup just cause it does not appeal to me. No law currently stops me from defacing this $5 dollar bill in front of me but do you know why I do not write on it ?? Cause somehow, I do not have that desire to, not cause I am forced but just cause I have come to realize it is not worth it. Treat the people as human beings and maybe they might actually respond for once.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ojimboIV: 4:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
@mamajama
i believe there are a million+1 threads on nairaland where those can be discussed

@kobojunkie
1. you keep talking about research and data collection, but i've got one simple answer as to y all that technology and manpower is not required - it is called common sense. trampling on notes which is an aftermath of spraying does cause damage, be it 10% or 90%.
2. and yes i spoke of our shady uncles too that recycle expired money
3. dollars and euros? i wonder y the pounds isn't in the list. and how does that affect the cbn? it is our problem we have to deal with.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2008
Mamajama:

Spraying of naira should be the last issue on the government plate. I think we have other issues that superseed this non- existence issue. lets focus on building better roads, better housing, and stable economy. This is nothing but a diversion in my opinion from the real issues confronting innocent Nigerians.

if the only things that matter are better roads, housing and stable economy, why bother having legislation against crimes like rape?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 4:41pm On Feb 19, 2008
ojimbo IV:

@mamajama
i believe there are a million+1 threads on nairaland where those can be discussed

@kobojunkie
1. you keep talking about research and data collection, but i've got one simple answer as to y all that technology and manpower is not required - it is called common sense. trampling on notes which is an aftermath of spraying does causes damage, be it 10% or 90%.
2. and yes i spoke of our shady uncles too that recycle expired money
3. dollars and euros? i wonder y the pounds isn't in the list. and how does that affect the cbn? it is our problem we have to deal with.

Twisting is not same as answering questions. But based on your twists I have even more questions for you

1) How many bills out out of the bills printed are damaged by trampling at spray parties?? Do you have Data for that ??
2) How many of the pounds used at these parties are in trouble?? Do you have data to support these claims??
3) If you really believe common sense is needed here, then I suggest you go back to my Mad Men infested City theory again and come back with better answers please.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ojimboIV: 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
kobojunkie
there is something known as mass awareness, and u'll agree with me it is a continuous process - might not be effective this year, but could do next year. and yes we should treat everyone like humans, but u defacing that 5 buck could make it rejected when a little kid turns up at the candy store 2months later only to return home depressed. so our actions that adversely affect others makes it an issue of personal if not national interest.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by bawomolo(m): 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2008
you also said we control the government? Are we speaking of thesame Nigeria?

yes we control the government. nigerians control the way the government acts. why can't there be a cedar revolution in nigeria?? no matter how small the elite is, nigerians are still in control of their government. u have ur vote and a voice, don't u??
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ojimboIV: 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Twisting is not same as answering questions. But based on your twists I have even more questions for you

1) How many bills out out of the bills printed are damaged by trampling at spray parties?? Do you have Data for that ??
2) How many of the pounds used at these parties are in trouble?? Do you have data to support these claims??
3) If you really believe common sense is needed here, then I suggest you go back to my Mad Men infested City theory again and come back with better answers please.

if that was twisting to u, pardon me. it just turns out we really do have an argument here.
1,2. perhaps you've got data that is confidential and gold dust to the contrary, it would be beneficial if u can share with us all.
3. if there is reason to believe that madness in those peeps developed after they smoked squeed for example, in trying to find a solution, u'll agree with me that to stop the smoking of squeed will be an appropriate move.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by bawomolo(m): 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2008
whether polymer is used or not, the average lifetime of nigerian notes would still lag behind compared to their foreign counterpart. the mentality has to change among people.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2008
ojimbo IV:

kobojunkie
there is something known as mass awareness, and u'll agree with me it is a continuous process - might not be effective this year, but could do next year. and yes we should treat everyone like humans, but u defacing that 5 buck could make it rejected when a little kid turns up at the candy store 2months later only to return home depressed. so our actions that adversely affect others makes it an issue of personal if not national interest.

Me Defacing the 5 dollar bill does not reduce the fact that it is still a 5 dollar bill. It is still a $5 bill if I cut it in 2 and use tape to stick it together. However, I wanted you to focus more on the fact that even my 3 year old niece does not have the zeal to do that cause she has been raised to understand ( not forced by laws)that the dollar has some value to it and even she picks up coins and stores it in her purse wanting to get a McDonald each time we go out with the money she has in her pocket. I mentioned in my earlier post that Buhari did a better job with this campaign. You teach animals to do right by depriving them rights. People in that country have for decades been treated like animals and continuing to do so now will not make Nigeria's problems go away. Up north we have laws that amputate people when they commit crimes, yet when you speak of the same happening during the slave era, people are more appalled of that then they are of what is actually going on in today's Nigeria right in front of our own eyes. People being treated like animals as way of teaching them to do the right thing. Depriving people of their right so inanimate objects can have more rights than the people do is never a way I would go with these issues. 100's of others countries have had to deal with the same exact problem we are dealing with now and they have successfully curbed and countered the problems without putting up laws to deprive the people of their right at all but no, we instead prefer to continue being treated like animals in the name of progress. I say No, I say there are better ways and until we start looking at each other as humans beings and actually figuring out best ways to deal with situations instead of running for the lazy door each time, I do not think problems will go away anytime soon.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2008
ojimbo IV:

if that was twisting to u, pardon me. it just turns out we really do have an argument here.
1,2. perhaps you've got data that is confidential and gold dust to the contrary, it would be beneficial if u can share with us all.
3. if there is reason to believe that madness in those peeps developed after they smoked squeed for example, in trying to find a solution, u'll agree with me that to stop the smoking of squeed will be an appropriate move.

For your number 1/2 Question, I do not have Data to say otherwise is reason why I am calling for actually research to be done before such a law can go in as last resort instead.

You just SHOT yourself in the foot with your Number  3 answer there,  :LMAO!!!! Stopping the smoking of weed will not be the appropriate move at all cause you have to consider so many other factors here. Give you an example. It is established that smoking can cause cancer. Infact it increases the changes of lung cancer and many people have been recorded to die from it each year and worse, non smokers can be affected by second hand smoking. If smoking is a voluntary action, should we then say Government should ban smoking as in decide for the people what they can and cannot do in this instance?? I am sure the many people in here who are smokers will cry foul.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ojimboIV: 5:14pm On Feb 19, 2008
You just SHOT yourself in the foot with your Number  3 answer there,  :LMAO!!!!
perhaps u should.  grin

i know u r a law abiding citizen my man. and you know exactly what happens in a lawless state, right? it is not by force to obey the law be it by default or imposed on you. break it and get a fine, hours of community service or end up in the big house. and i stand against people undermining the efforts of other well meaning citizens.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Feb 19, 2008
ojimbo IV:

perhaps u should.  grin

i know you're a law abiding citizen my man. and you know exactly what happens in a lawless state, right? it is not by force to obey the law be it by default or imposed on you. break it and get a fine, hours of community service or end up in the big house. and i stand against people undermining the efforts of other well meaning citizens.

I also stand against people undermining the efforts of other well meaning citizens including well meaning citizens who just want to spray and enjoy their money as they want to, a practice that we have established takes place around the world, without being accused of being the main problem to the Nigerian economy without no data or numbers to back up the claim.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 19, 2008
Abeg, make the rich dey spray, make the poor dey collect!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Echidime(m): 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2008
Na waooooooooooooo Naija people,why don't we accept change in our country for once? Since God create us na soso we dey spray money and yet people dey suffer,now that someone intelligent and who is in charge of our nations currency wants to banned it why are people teaming up against him or against the new law,or is Nigeria as a nation cursed never to accept change and progress like other nations?

One of my friends lost his father,and just for the sake of spraying money at his father's buried went and carried Hard Drugs so as to have enough money to spray,unfortunately for him he was arrested at heathrow airport London where he was giving 7 good solid years in high school without vacation,he was there and his father was buried without him spraying money.

Some intelligent Nigerians are finding ways and means to help nigerians as a whole to change and stop been competitive which will end up landing them in a big mess,yet millions won't support it,What a shame?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Echidime(m): 5:42pm On Feb 19, 2008
@michelin89: Go and watch the noollywood movie called PEOPLE'S CLUB pay great attention to Chief OWA and his Boys,so that when you are collecting spray money you know what your getting yourself into.And don't have to blame the devil for it
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ojimboIV: 5:45pm On Feb 19, 2008
the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' syndrome, is one of the ills of society. 'it's our culture' - makes me wonder if he'd (KSA) studied all the cultures in nigeria. but we have news for him too 'it should not be'.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ALERTEFCC(f): 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
see as evrybody dey show english skills, na today, after all this talk wetin we go achieve? e nor change the mind of the government kokoroko!!!!!!!!!!! make una keep una power take do something else, if no be papa wen shit for body who be pikin to come tellam say e body dey smell, government don shit for church so? before we go comot here somebody go say e get right to burst pipe wen carry oil say because e pass under e house, make una comot make i see road bo
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On Feb 19, 2008
ojimbo IV:

the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' syndrome, is one of the ills of society. 'it's our culture' - makes me wonder if he'd (KSA) studied all the cultures in nigeria. but we have news for him too 'it should not be'.

From what I read of the KSA article, He never said anything about if it ain't broke don't fix it. He simply is expressing his own take on the issue. The Problem we have is everything is broken but instead of trying to fix it the right way, we start by trying to restrict the people first with more laws or ask for more money before we tackle the main issues that should be tackled first. Where is the research that has been done on this?? Where is data to show this law is needed and this is last resor??Did you try my Laundry experiment yet?? I mean with the dollar/pound/ euro/pese and then the naira.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by wise3(m): 5:51pm On Feb 19, 2008
You can take the horse to the river, but you can't force it to drink. Soludo may have raised a point for moral consideration but people should be free to spend their money how they want. What's next? Advocate a law that ban mansions or luxury cars? In other countries waiters get tipped, strippers get sprayed with dollars. I like Soludo but I think he should concentrate on helping the poor.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by bawomolo(m): 6:01pm On Feb 19, 2008
I like Soludo but I think he should concentrate on helping the poor.

Soludo represents all Nigerians, not just poor people.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

I like Soludo but I think he should concentrate on helping the poor.

Soludo represents all Nigerians, not just poor people.

Soludo ain't representing me in this one though.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by jesusfreak(f): 6:29pm On Feb 19, 2008
The law of CBN against spraying is to preserve the naira. this cannot be seen in a negative light. However, i sympatise with KSA on the plight of musicians ho "survive" on the sprayed notes.I suggest that they(musicians) implore their clients to hand d monies over instead of spreaying it all over d place. Is it possible that every note sprayed will not touch d ground? No. It will be nicer and neater if a container was placed by the performing musician where guests and celebrants can drop their appreciation. This will make both Soludo and KSA happy!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by tunrexdj(m): 6:51pm On Feb 19, 2008
CHARLES SOLUDO IS FIGHTING A LOST BATTLE.SOMETIMES LAST YEAR,THE CBN LORD WAS AT A WEDDING CEREMONY OF A TOP GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL"S KID,AND RIGHT AT MR CBNS FACE,MONEY WAS BEING SPRAYED LIKE WATER AND MY GUY DID NOT RAISE AN EYEBROW.
I BELIEVE OUR INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORKS ARE JUST TOO WEAK TO ENFORCE THIS NEW LAW,GIVEN THE FACT THAT THOSE INVOLVED ARE MOSTLY POLITICIANS AND TOP GOVERNMENT FUNCTIONARIES.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2008
I wonder why people are shouting themselves hoarse for no reason.
Soludo is only against the placing of money on sweaty faces and having them trampled upon and there is nothing wrong with that law.

[b]all people need to do is have a few cartons around them where people can come and spray into.[/b]It's as simple as that.
The musicians and celebrants still get their money and everyone is happy.
I see no big deal with this.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by AKO1(m): 7:26pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ topic: it may not necessarily be only about the spraying, but also the mentality behind the spraying.

Thats quite true. It really is a culture.

THIS IS A LITTLE BESIDE THE POINT BUT, ::--

from texazzpete
Yup! And if the Abia state government wanted the Aba people not to keep building pyramids of garbage on the expressway, they should have given every Aba resident garbage cans.

That would not be a bad idea, would it? If I live beside the expressway and I cannot afford a garbage can, where do I throw my refuse? In my bath tub? The government should be able to afford that. If you didn't want your child to watch a particular program on TV, you could either activate parental control or make sure the TV is off when it is being aired right? You won't just leave them there and assume they would obey.

I believe that as sensible as laws are, they are rendered useless if people are not empowered to obey the laws.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by kafero(m): 7:48pm On Feb 19, 2008
Yes - It cannot be banned . Don't you get it.It is a culture and you don't change something that is part of your culture using law. People's orientation must be addressed first. People must be taught new ( correct ) values from the home. That is why no law is working in Nigeria - because we don't possess the right cultural values to back them up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

5 Things A Good Enterpreneur Should Never Do / Nestoil celebrates 28 Years of evolution (photos) / Naira Exchanges At N49-N51 Per Yuan At First Auction Of Chinese Currency In Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.