Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,789 members, 7,969,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 05:00 AM

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo (21893 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Latest About Wonder Banks As Sanusi Takes Over Cbn Shame To Soludo / Cbn Revalues Naira, N20 To Be Highest Bill, Many Thanks To Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Daman1(m): 11:32pm On Feb 18, 2008
My people, we should not allow a pleasure of say 20-60minutes of spraying rob us of a better and greater value. We have almost become slaves in our own land  cos of this misplaced priority so much so that one can hardly get mint currency from the banks  especially when weekends is approaching, and this is due to an artificial scarcity created by bank people in order to make fast bussiness because that same money that is not available in the banks find their ways to the black markets; parks, street corners, owanbe gatherings etc for a token above the face value of the money!
The sorry thing is that once our people lay hands on such mint notes having got it at a price, it is first baptised into the sweat of the receiver/ sprayee, the dust or mud on the ground where the money is been sprayed and subjected to a serious tramping, Oh my people, let us change from behaving in this un civil manner
. embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Feb 18, 2008
nuzo:

This goes a long way to show us that many challanging the law were being selfish.

These musicians don't need spraying of Naira to survive. All they need is surpport from you, i and the necessary government agencies to drastically minimize piracy. They could be as rich as feety or Aretha without people rough handling naira notes in the name of spraying.

LOL.  grin grin grin

You forgot to add stealing public funds, curroption, lateness, shouting in the public, unnecessary heated and agrressive arguements, littering the streets etc as part of our culture.

I was seeing a Nigerian movie recently and my friend noticed that people were being unnecessarilly agressive in the movie. He asked me whether it's the way we shout in Nigeria? Before i could answer, my other Nigerian visitor aswered yes and went ahead to tell him that it's actually part of our culture. My friend was dazed. I could only imagine her thoughts. Barbarism! lipsrsealed

In the strip clubs, the dollar bill is attached gently to the bikinis, thong etc by patronizers, while in a Nigerian parties, alot and more of what Oldie showed us in page two happens.
Once again, spraying has not been confirmed as the only was naira is abused.

Just make your case and go instead of throwing insults from nowhere.

I have to say, your argument for the ban is terribly weak. I have been reading and wondering if you will at least produce something substantial for one to work with but no.

1) No direct link between Spraying and Abuse of Naira has been produced so far, only assumption that money is trampled and so is bad for the note but not enough reason for a ban on spraying.

2) Spraying has as much to do with corruption as mamaput mistakenly dropping her note in oil does.

3) Money is supposed to be able to stand wear and tear which includes mishandling which is to be expected. Agreed that Nigerians need to handle the money better. How about you urge Soludo to work harder on improving the image of the Naira, durability and value. If these things happen, I am sure more and more Nigerians will change their habit.

4)I remember when I was younger and the Naira had better value to it, people actually took care of their money. You hardly saw a kobo lying on the ground back then cause kids would pick it up to save it. You could buy bread for 10 kobo and so it was worth keeping your money well back then. I believe if we ever improve on the value of the note itself, we would achieve much more than banning people left and right instead of doing the right thing.

5) The Economy gets more abuse from corrupt leaders stealing and looting money than people mishandling the bill itself if you ask me. Manjority of the losses to the economy can be accounted to poor policies and corruption than it can to trampling and staining of naira bills. Why not spend all the time and energy enforcing laws to curb the majority than focusing on the minority with no solid reason given
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by oldie(m): 11:42pm On Feb 18, 2008
Spraying represents happiness, survival, culture, salary, tradition, excitement, hope, delightfulness, celebration, approval, expression, entertainment, love, unity, respect, and many other beautiful things.

Nigerians in general would be purely foolish to allow this stupidity to stand.

How about doing all these with some decency?
I believe we should respect our currency
The symbol, whatever the value
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by MP007(m): 11:44pm On Feb 18, 2008
hilarious,funny and shocking grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by A2J(m): 12:10am On Feb 19, 2008
i wonder if by 2030, you all will still be spraying your credit and debit cards as you say "its our culture"

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 19, 2008
D-reloaded:

If we are loud n ko? What about akata people? Abeg make I hear word, so because some slowpoke asked a foolish question you too are ashamed. It bothers me when people don't know how to reply to foreigners when they PURPOSELY ask condecending questions.

Fortunately or unfortunately, i don't see my friend as one of the morons you may have in mind. At least i have not discovered that. She was being curious on how being aggressive related to the story line. She actually thought she was missing something as she doesn't understand the Nigerian English very well.

On my own part, i will never be support or be proud of any culture that unnecessarily shouts and argue aggressively in order to drive home a simple point.

Kobojunkie:

I have to say, your argument for the ban is terribly weak. I have been reading and wondering if you will at least produce something substantial for one to work with but no.

I'm tired of letting people know that is costs more money to mint the actual naira note than its value in the mkt, not to talk of going through this process every now and then.

Kobojunkie:

5) The Economy gets more abuse from corrupt leaders stealing and looting money than people mishandling the bill itself if you ask me. Manjority of the losses to the economy can be accounted to poor policies and corruption than it can to trampling and staining of naira bills. Why not spend all the time and energy enforcing laws to curb the majority than focusing on the minority with no solid reason given

I'm not too sure Soludo or the CBN are the ones in charge of making EFCC or ICPC work, neither are they they ones to make laws that will have the likeS of IBB, OBJ and co arrested. The people responsible from my little knowledge are the FG and House of Assembly. For whatever reason known to them and many Nigerians, they have refused to do that.
Soludo and CBN in their own capacity came out with a law that will put a little sanity on how we use naira notes and we are crying foul. Nothing is ever good for us Nigerians.
Mind you, i don't know this Soludo or anybody working with him; i only feel some kind of energy when i see these young Nigerians act, just like Ribadu, Dora, Iweala, Ezekwesili and the rest of the Nigerian people who believe that truth will triumph someday soon.

I SALUTE!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 12:49am On Feb 19, 2008
nuzo:

Fortunately or unfortunately, i don't see my friend as one of the morons you may have in mind. At least i have not discovered that. She was being curious on how being aggressive related to the story line. She actually thought she was missing something as she doesn't understand the Nigerian English very well.

On my own part, i will never be support or be proud of any culture that unnecessarily shouts and argue aggressively in order to drive home a simple point.

I'm tired of letting people know that is costs more money to mint the actual naira note than its value in the mkt, not to talk of going through this process every now and then.

I'm not too sure Soludo or the CBN are the ones in charge of making EFCC or ICPC work, neither are they they ones to make laws that will have the likeS of IBB, OBJ and co arrested. The people responsible from my little knowledge are the FG and House of Assembly. For whatever reason known to them and many Nigerians, they have refused to do that.
Soludo and CBN in their own capacity came out with a law that will put a little sanity on how we use naira notes and we are crying foul. Nothing is ever good for us Nigerians.
Mind you, i don't know this Soludo or anybody working with him; i only feel some kind of energy when i see these young Nigerians act, just like Ribadu, Dora, Iweala, Ezekwesili and the rest of the Nigerian people who believe that truth will triumph someday soon.

I SALUTE!

SO in essence he has the power to make laws to bind the hands of Nigerians when it comes to handling the naira and claiming people mishandling it affects it more I am sorry but your argument still lacks substance. If Soludo were honest, he would focus more on the main problem with the naira and not on people and minor issues making them the main issue when every one with eyes knows that it is not. Soludo's job includes making sure the Naira is able to withstand daily wear and tear which is to be expected. I mean this is one thing I like about Oyinbo man and how he thinks. Instead of coming back to say something like "Let us ban Trailers from using the roads often cause chances are their weight may cause more damage to the roads than other cars would",  they come back to the lab and instead decide to build roads that can without tractor trailer wear and tear as well as wear and tear from other factors. This law by Soludo is what I consider an insult to the Nigerian people cause it not only strips Nigerians of their right to spray or handle their money as they deem fit but it also is a slap cause the basis for the law is silly when compared to the real issues on the ground in that country.
We know that the Naira is being manhandled and instead of tying the hands of the people, with laws now which may in turn open up more doors for more wicked laws that bind the hands of the people even more in the future, one would think Soludo would call for research on better materials for currency. I mean even in the days of cowries, do you think many other materials were not considered and eliminated before our fore fathers decided on using cowries?? If you look into the history of money you will learn that this problem of durability is not new. From the very beginning many materials have been used and many found lacking for one reason or another and I think clay pieces were eliminated cause of durability issue. Why not improve on what we have now cause of the same?? Why resort to making laws instead of doing the right thing once and for all
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by omogenaija(f): 1:23am On Feb 19, 2008
@ topic na beans
stop sprayin ko start sprayin ni,

thats the best part of nigerian parties , sh/t
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by layifioren(m): 1:36am On Feb 19, 2008
Wait a minute here maybe I'm just reading too much into this. I don't personally care much about the issue. This is what I care about though - the last time I remember, Soludo does not have the power/right to enact or interprete law. If we want to talk about doing things right, then the Law (if it's totally new) should be debated and passed by the Nigerian Legislatures (Senators and House of Reps i.e the people I call the "Master Thieves"wink. If the Law is already in the Constitution (which I doubt we have one anyways  ) should be interpreted by the Judiciary System headed by the Almighty Nigeria Supreme Court (which I also call the Intimidating Court). Maybe we need to treat the root of injuries than try to put a band-aid on a compound fracture. If we want things to be done right then the leaders need to start doing things the proper way also. Bunch of Hypocrites!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 1:40am On Feb 19, 2008
layifioren:

Wait a minute here maybe I'm just reading too much into this. I don't personally care much about the issue. This is what I care about though - the last time I remember, Soludo does not have the power/right to enact or interprete law. If we want to talk about doing things right, then the Law (if it's totally new) should be debated and passed by the Nigerian Legislatures (Senators and House of Reps i.e the people I call the "Master Thieves"wink. If the Law is already in the Constitution (which I don't doubt we have one anyways ) should be interpreted by the Judiciary System headed by the Almighty Nigeria Supreme Court (which I also call the Intimidating Court). Maybe we need to treat the root of injuries than try to put a band-aid on an compound fracture.

I am glad you pointed that out. I have been wondering all day how in the world Soludo became a law maker.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by bawomolo(m): 1:41am On Feb 19, 2008
it's pretty narrow minded to claim spraying money as soley yoruba culture.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by wealth4all: 2:48am On Feb 19, 2008
It is rather disturbing that 9 out 10 naira notes u handle in naija are either defaced or seriously 'abused'.

And why is that the same money-miss -road,show-off freaks always go looking for cripsy or mint notes. Some of them besiege banks to seek for 'fresh'ones to abuse? If only they will keep spraying the dirty notes.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by wealth4all: 2:51am On Feb 19, 2008
It is rather disturbing that 9 out 10 naira notes u handle in naija are either defaced or seriously 'abused'.

And why is that the same money-miss -road,show-off freaks always go looking for cripsy or mint notes. Some of them besiege banks  to seek for 'fresh'ones to abuse? If only they will keep spraying the dirty notes.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by AlfaPrime: 4:43am On Feb 19, 2008
Much as we may hate to see it this way, truth is that spraying of money, culture or no culture, is inimical to societal development. it's simply a way out for those bent on having an ego trip. the sooner it's stopped the better. we shd begin to see money sprayers henceforth as sort of barbaric.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by HotFunmi1(f): 5:02am On Feb 19, 2008
By A2J,
i wonder if by 2030,  you all will still be spraying your credit and debit cards as you say "its our culture"
Hilarious! I am sure there must be a way to do it by then,may be they'll start spraying  N100 money order.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by spoilt(f): 5:05am On Feb 19, 2008
of course KSA  will protest!  grin ha! he has to eat now.
my sister just had her wedding . the honourable chairman of the occasion, a former bank MD politely requested that no one spray or throw money on the floor. Nobody protested. They just went up to the front, congratulated the couple and put whatever they had in the box set up in front. It didnt spoil the mood, it didnt cause heaven to fall and i didnt see bar beach dry up.  grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by 4Him(m): 5:10am On Feb 19, 2008
spoilt:

it didnt cause heaven to fall and i didnt see bar beach dry up. grin

KSA's heaven fell and his bar beach of tears dried up.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 19, 2008
layifioren:

Wait a minute here maybe I'm just reading too much into this. I don't personally care much about the issue. This is what I care about though - the last time I remember, Soludo does not have the power/right to enact or interprete law. If we want to talk about doing things right, then the Law (if it's totally new) should be debated and passed by the Nigerian Legislatures (Senators and House of Reps i.e the people I call the "Master Thieves"wink. If the Law is already in the Constitution (which I doubt we have one anyways ) should be interpreted by the Judiciary System headed by the Almighty Nigeria Supreme Court (which I also call the Intimidating Court). Maybe we need to treat the root of injuries than try to put a band-aid on a compound fracture. If we want things to be done right then the leaders need to start doing things the proper way also. Bunch of Hypocrites!

Go check well the law that created CBN and know whether they have the powers to make some laws or not regarding finance.
Some people are expecting Soludo to turn Naira into pounds equivalent whithout knowing that money value appreciates in a society due to developmental process on ground. The FG may have to be blamed for that one.
And am sure you know that this same FG has turned down some the man's vital proposals on finance.

If the H/A or master thieves as you refered to them are incapable of doing their jobs and you want to begin to see all other people as you see them; then you are misguided and uninformed.
That doesnt mean i have given Soludo a clean bill of health, but it's sheer hypocricy to see Soludo the same way you see the "master thieves" (your own words). grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

it's pretty narrow minded to claim spraying money as soley yoruba culture.

It has not been a yoruba culture neither has it been a culture of any tribe in Nigeria.
It all started when Nigerians decided to welcome curroption and worship materialism.
It even baffles me why anyone will be proud to have it as a culture.

I know of some Yoruba cultures i will be proud of anytime anyday. cool
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 7:58am On Feb 19, 2008
THIS is why Nigeria is going backwards. People put their personal comfort ahead of what is morally right.
This is how Environmental Sanitation, a period set aside to keep the environment clean was abused and neglected, because people do not see the harm in doing it.

This issue should not even cause this level of debate. The Government spends money reprinting damaged mint and spraying does some damage to the Naira note.

The Government has made sevral appeals, several campaigns designed to curb naira abuse. it has had Zero effect. The only solution is to make a law so people will be forced to obey.

Some people are encouraging the Nigerian govt to spend billions in making stronger notes just so they can continue this degrading act. Why??

When it comes down to it, all we see in this topic is a bunch of selfish Nigerians who can only think of themselves and not their country.

Pity, really.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 8:12am On Feb 19, 2008
texazzpete:

THIS is why Nigeria is going backwards. People put their personal comfort ahead of what is morally right.
This is how Environmental Sanitation, a period set aside to keep the environment clean was abused and neglected, because people do not see the harm in doing it.

This issue should not even cause this level of debate. The Government spends money reprinting damaged mint and spraying does some damage to the Naira note.

The Government has made sevral appeals, several campaigns designed to curb naira abuse. it has had Zero effect. The only solution is to make a law so people will be forced to obey.

Some people are encouraging the Nigerian govt to spend billions in making stronger notes just so they can continue this degrading act. Why??

When it comes down to it, all we see in this topic is a bunch of selfish Nigerians who can only think of themselves and not their country.

Pity, really.

Dont think you are done.
Some people will continue asking you how the law will help the economy. Eevn when you and some other people here have answered the question times without numbers.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by 3dhunter(m): 8:45am On Feb 19, 2008
All who support cleanliness "raise up your hand", "stand up to be counted"

but, me thinks that the advert should also include the policemen on their ROGER duty. grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 19, 2008
omogenaija:

@ topic na beans

Omoge Naija,
A ye o, wa dagba wa darugbo
3d_hunter:

All who support cleanliness "raise up your hand", "stand up to be counted"

but, me thinks that the advert should also include the policemen on their ROGER duty. grin

Thank u very much, the policemen that are to enforce the laws are busy squeezing N20 notes they collect from bus drivers.
Abeg make i hear word.
For my own wedding wey dey come up,they must spray.
Na to go get MOPOL, make i see the police wey go come enter dey yarn rubbish.
****hisses*****
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by mamaorga(f): 9:21am On Feb 19, 2008
omogenaija:

@ topic na beans

abi oooo my brother,
this is one of the many  things that makes us different frm other people,
does spraying money affect the economy of Nigeria?
they had better start focusing on how to improve Nija's several economic problems and stop worrying over trivial issues as this
anyway no be the time wey i go marry wey dem go come ban this
na lie,
i want to be sprayed
u can refer to me as backward i like am so, na u be forward person. thank u
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ALERTEFCC(f): 10:44am On Feb 19, 2008
who be this KSA sef? say spraying na our culture, tufiakwa!!

e be like say person say to craze na our culture, make una ask am how much e get for e account wey e no wan make we hear word, people wey get money no dey even spray na beggars wey small money just enter their hand no go let people see road, e no go tey dey go say to shoot person with gun na our culture, this one na im me dey call KOLO.

wetin govermnment dey do about people wey dey block road because dem wan do burial?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 19, 2008
People will go to the bank on friday to collect clean notes so they can go and bastardize it on Saturday, and still come back to complain that all the notes are dirty. I no fit talk pass this one
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by WAVixen: 11:58am On Feb 19, 2008
It's funny how speedily the Naira abuse ban got passed into law (can someone educate,enlighten otherwise) and we are still waiting for the FOI bill to be passed. These so called law makers are there for their own pockets and interests.When it comes to their own pockets they know how to fast track bills and laws,but when it concerns the masses they pussy foot!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by TATPRESS(m): 12:04pm On Feb 19, 2008
Please take it easy!

Dont allow us to use transfer agression. The issue of KSA talking about the yorubas as a culture in reference of spraying money publicly.

This issue should be looked in different perspective?

Just ask yourself some questions>

What is KSA source of wealth?
What is KSA source of income?
How did KSA accumulate his money?

One or two of this may intreast you. What do you expect of KSA when what he does is singing and praising "rich ones" till they drop their last penny.

He would definately defend and challenge anywhere. Thats where he made his money. So he is just being human.

Lets just address this issue more politely rather than idividuals picking up offences.

All is well.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by TATPRESS(m): 12:08pm On Feb 19, 2008
smileyPlease take it easy! cry

Dont allow us to use transfer agression. The issue of KSA talking about the yorubas as a culture in reference of spraying money publicly.

This issue should be looked in different perspective?

Just ask yourself some questions>

What is KSA source of wealth?
What is KSA source of income?
How did KSA accumulate his money?

One or two of this may intreast you. What do you expect of KSA when what he does is singing and praising "rich ones" till they drop their last penny.

He would definately defend and challenge anywhere. Thats where he made his money. So he is just being human.

Lets just address this issue more politely rather than idividuals picking up offences.

All is well.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by skyone(m): 12:09pm On Feb 19, 2008
Not spraying naira is what Soludo meant abi meaning we can carry on spraying dollars,pounds, euro etc how pathetic. The law makes no sense whatsoever! i'm sure the next one will be to arrest children scrumbling 10naira notes.

We dont need such law in  NIGERIA pls
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Rogo: 12:18pm On Feb 19, 2008
what sticky culture, the unciviled one or the one full of poverty and dirt, common Prof. Soludo go ahead with your decision. the mess must be stop.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by osat02: 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2008
well its cool its our culture, the money throwing stuff, bla bla bla, but we know that culture is dynamic, so if Soludo wants a change why not oblige him? anyway have got none to spray, ; cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) / What Business Can I Start With Just N150,000? / Dangote Plans To Buy Arsenal F.C. In 4 Years Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.