Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,303 members, 7,887,892 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:59 PM

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo (21681 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Latest About Wonder Banks As Sanusi Takes Over Cbn Shame To Soludo / Cbn Revalues Naira, N20 To Be Highest Bill, Many Thanks To Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Bolarge(m): 9:35am On Feb 18, 2008
@Soludo
Thank you sir. cool

@KSA
Stfu!!! angry
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Blatant: 11:28am On Feb 18, 2008
As much as I will not spray because I consider it a wasteful and unecessary show-off, I do agree with KSA that the Government should not be legislating on how people decide to spend their money. This will only lead to suppression of the will of people as it appears a lot of people really like the idea of spraying money at parties.

Spraying money does not hurt anyone as much as legislators corruptly enriching themselves and sending the money to European banks rather than keeping the money within the system to generate investements.

Government needs to get it's priorities right. How exactly does money spraying affect the life of the common man?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 11:48am On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

This will only lead to suppression of the will of people as it appears a lot of people really like the idea of spraying money at parties.

A lot of people like driving one-way, against traffic. This must be the will of so many people. Government shouldnt stop it!
Right?

Blatant:

Spraying money does not hurt anyone as much as legislators corruptly enriching themselves and sending the money to European banks rather than keeping the money within the system to generate investements.

Yup! vandalising NEPA cables doesn't hurt anyone. That should be decriminalised abi?
Corrupt legislators steal money, denying Nigerians the benefit of such funds. Crime. Abused and defaced Naira needs to be destroyed and reprinted. this costs money, which could be used to feed the common man. Crime also.
So why the distinction?

Blatant:

Government needs to get it's priorities right. How exactly does money spraying affect the life of the common man?
See the answer above.

Honestly, can you tell me you haven't seen weddings and parties where the guests stamp and tread on sprayed money all in the name of dancing?
Is soaking brand new naira notes in the sweat from someone's forehead a sure way to preserve the integrity of the Naira notes?

True, there are more serious crimes in Nigeria that need legislation, but to toss this one away as an unworthy idea is plain silly.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Blatant: 12:09pm On Feb 18, 2008
texazzpete:

A lot of people like driving one-way, against traffic. This must be the will of so many people. Government shouldnt stop it!
Right?

Driving up a one-way traffic causes disruption and incovenience to other road users: how does spraying cause others any harm/hurt?

texazzpete:

Yup! vandalising NEPA cables doesn't hurt anyone. That should be decriminalised abi?
Corrupt legislators steal money, denying Nigerians the benefit of such funds. Crime. Abused and defaced Naira needs to be destroyed and reprinted. this costs money, which could be used to feed the common man. Crime also.
So why the distinction?
See the answer above.

That is vandalism and completely different from just spraying money. I am sure there is more defacement of the naira in markets than what goes on at those 'owambe' parties. Whay has the government not legislated against spening cash in markets and mamaput spots?

texazzpete:

Honestly, can you tell me you haven't seen weddings and parties where the guests stamp and tread on sprayed money all in the name of dancing?
Is soaking brand new naira notes in the sweat from someone's forehead a sure way to preserve the integrity of the Naira notes?

True, there are more serious crimes in Nigeria that need legislation, but to toss this one away as an unworthy idea is plain silly.

It is a silly idea to spend legislative time on this when it will have little or no economic impact on the people of Nigeria. Perhaps, if such legislative time was spent in policing the legislature to stop them from corrupt ways in forms of bribes (lobbying), Nigeria would have seen plenty of progress economically
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by grafikdon: 12:20pm On Feb 18, 2008
What else do you expect from a county where 'educated' men pass laws that enable police to hunt down (with Howitzer, RPG and Browning) 'indecent' women? This ridiculous law is no shock to me. I am not a fan of spraying money but I don't see how that could bring harm to anyone. I guess we forgot the 'Ghana Must Go' squad who cart the money away in trucks where they sit Western banks- - - now that's the abuse of naira that actually hurt EVERYONE, including non living things like roads, hospital and electricity.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by aahmed112: 12:54pm On Feb 18, 2008
we all jus need 2 chill n look at this objectively. . .damaged money costs quite a bit 2 reprint. And for all of u screaming, market women, mamaput and all that crap, the word here is CONTROL, and not ERADICATION!! This law was enacted by CBN and not primarily by the executive govt. . .so I guess it wont b fair comparing a law on the protection of the naira (CBN), and human right laws (Executive govt).
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 1:26pm On Feb 18, 2008
aahmed112:

we all jus need 2 chill n look at this objectively. . .damaged money costs quite a bit 2 reprint. And for all of u screaming, market women, mamaput and all that crap, the word here is CONTROL, and not ERADICATION!! This law was enacted by CBN and not primarily by the executive govt. . .so I guess its not a fair comparing a law on the protection of the naira (CBN), and human right laws (Executive govt).

EXACTLY!!
i've been making this same point over and over again. damaged money costs money to destroy and reprint.
A recurring point these guys have been making is that damaged money never hurt anyone.
Going by that, then so many things that never overtly hurt anyone can be forgiven, right?
We can then argue that Alams loot never hurt anyone, that Ibori's loot never hurt anyone, that the mounds of garbage in Aba never hurt anyone.

grafikdon:

I guess we forgot the 'Ghana Must Go' squad who cart the money away in trucks where they sit Western banks- - - now that's the abuse of naira that actually hurt EVERYONE, including non living things like roads, hospital and electricity.

Now THIS is the root of all this debate isn't it? The commonly held belief among most Nigerians that all Evil is perpetrated by our terrible leaders while the common man is totally blameless for the ills that plague our society.

repeat after me until comprehension sinks in: damaged money costs MONEY to reprint!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2008
but money will wear, won't it?

i have never heard of anywhere in the world where it is a crime punishable by a 6 month jail term to 'abuse' money.

perhaps charles soludo opted for a particularly cheap,  brand of naira note ( and all this campaign is an attaempt to forestall the inevitable - the rapid wearing out of the same) what exactly, is the typical , projected lifespan of a naira note? what exactly are they aiming for - naira notes that last 20 years?

note - i am not advocating for spraying of naira - unless of course it is sprayed on me grin ( is it too late to do the fuji thingy?)
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by grafikdon: 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2008
oyb:

i have never heard of anywhere in the world where it is a crime punishable by a 6 month jail term to 'abuse' money.

undecided undecided Only in Nigeria, where elephants fly and chickens get pregnant.

oyb:
perhaps charles soludo opted for a particularly cheap, brand of naira note ( and all this campaign is an attaempt to forestall the inevitable - the rapid wearing out of the same)

note - i am not advocating for spraying of naira - unless of course it is sprayed on me grin ( is it too late to do the fuji thingy?)

grin grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by aahmed112: 1:50pm On Feb 18, 2008
Hey folks, i guess it doesnt really follow.

As an analogy, do you guys realise the meagre amount u have to steal in China to be sentenced to death, whereas people steal billions here and we tell them, 'just bring half and you can have the rest!' Try messing around with a couple thousands of dollars over der n I guess we'll have 2 c u on the other side!! Im not directly comparing corruption to defacing the naira, but the bane of the issue here is, Peculiar situations, deserve peculiar measures. No one else understands a society's problems mo than itself, period!

If thats what hits u, u need 2 hit back too, simple. I strongly think the ultimate aim here is deterrence. I dont think they hope to get everyone locked up for dis, but a few examples wud help loosen that hold this crazy culture has on us rite nw. . .peace!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by obua: 1:54pm On Feb 18, 2008
Lets ask our selves some questions
When did money spraying start
what is the essence of spraying money
Is KSA now the proponent of a progressive culture in Nigeria( with due respect)
I have seen people spray money and stop pickers from picking it, only for the thugs of the sprayers to pick up the mint notes
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by oldie(m): 2:01pm On Feb 18, 2008
Must this continue?

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
http://www.cenbank.org/out/publications/pressrelease/gov/2007/pr3-7-07.pdf

8. ABUSE OF THE NAIRA (SECTIONS 20 & 21)
In order to stem the abuse that the Naira is constantly subjected
to, increase the active life of Naira notes and coins and promote
confidence in their usage as medium of exchange, refusal to
accept the Naira, trading in Naira notes and coins, spraying of
the Naira and all such abuses have been criminalized and
appropriate sanctions imposed.

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=147&a=9684

In the past few weeks, there has been a campaign in the media by Prof. Chukwuma Soludo and his Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) against what they consider to be abuse of the national currency. Some of these acts of abuse of the Naira, according to the campaign adverts, include spraying at parties, dirtying the notes , dancing on them, selling and buying of the currency, and storing them indecently . Others are squeezing the notes , staining and defacing them, etc.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1188536,00.html

What it is referring to is the fact that Nigerians often "squeeze"— crumple — Naira notes to detect fakes. If a crumpled note thrown on a flat surface immediately starts to un-crumple it's the real deal. "Spraying" Naira is also common at birthdays, weddings and in the thousands of evangelical churches across the country. Generous guests or churchgoers peel off notes from wads of cash, tossing them towards a wedding couple or priest. Tradition dictates that these notes are not picked up until after the celebrations are over, so they are often stomped into the ground.

going by the above we all are due for some time in kirikiri  sad
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by nightrider: 3:58pm On Feb 18, 2008
The only reason Nigerians spray the naira is cause it ain't worth much anyway. Take a look at that picture above. What is the tru value of N 10, N50, N100 . So anyone can just dip into his pockets pick up a hand full and throw it on someone's head.

The value of the Naira should be increased. When a man knows how much that shit is worth, he wnt throw it around anyhow.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by powerofmap(m): 4:03pm On Feb 18, 2008
sad Chei he reach my wedding time now dem don ban spraying, Make come stop me now mumu law by mumu government grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2008
@oldie
thanks for that photo.

That photo show what happens to money sprayed at ceremonies. Clean, mint is stepped on and becomes dirty and starts wearing out. Notes pasted on foreheads absorb sweat (acidic) and are further damaged.
it's a shame - nay, a disgrace - that Nigerians have no respect for their currency.

oyb:

Yep. buildings will wear and get dirty and dingy too, but would that fact make you feel happier if you wake up to see someone wiping fresh mud off his shoes and onto your wall?

maybe the analogy is kinda off, but you get what i mean.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2008
powerofmap:

sad Chei he reach my wedding time now them don ban spraying, Make come stop me now mumu law by mumu government grin

In a friend's wedding, a basket was placed on the ground, and people who came to dance with the couple dropped money into it. the adventurous ones sprayed the money into the basket. either way, the integrity of the money was preserved.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Seun(m): 4:13pm On Feb 18, 2008
If the CBN was concerned about notes being clean, the new notes would have been polymer notes.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
Abeg, make dem allow me marry first o
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by seguno2: 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
The question really is whether:

It is our culture

KSA surely must be taught that culture is dynamic, ever-changing. I am sure if some late great grandparent were to see a video of a wedding today s/he will wonder what is going on- right?
So many, many things we do today are not our culture some few 100 years ago.
BTW, Texazz  et al are right, printing/re-printing money is another waste of our revenue. A little plug in the hole it may be but it all adds up.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by opokonwa(m): 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2008
[size=16pt]Because he has benefitted more from the spraying culture than any other Nigerian embarassed embarassed embarassed[/size]
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 18, 2008
texazzpete:

That photo show what happens to money sprayed at ceremonies. Clean, mint is stepped on and becomes dirty and starts wearing out. Notes pasted on foreheads absorb sweat (acidic) and are further damaged.
it's a shame - nay, a disgrace - that Nigerians have no respect for their currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4EQnySKfM&feature=related

not to worry, nigerians don't respect anyone's currency

[/quote][quote author=Seun link=topic=113415.msg1968869#msg1968869 date=1203347612]
If the CBN was concerned about notes being clean, the new notes would have been polymer notes.

i agree. the CBN should have taken the way nigerians hanlde paper currency into consideration[b] before[/b] designing the notes. i wonder what soludo was thinking when he rolled out our new currency(did he really think nigerians would take up using coins? - maybe thats the next law in the making - all transacations below N20 must be executed with coinage - or else. . .)
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2008
to be honest, KSA is certainly not an advocate that should be taken seriously. asshole was celebrating obj at his last birthday, if i remember correctly. angry
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Segesexy: 4:33pm On Feb 18, 2008
You're all getiing it wrong, Indecent spraying of Naira is what's prohibited.You can put monies in trays in place of spraying shebi na not to abuse Naira soludo talk, and whats wrong with spraying of Dollars in Nigeria??
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by KAYTOBEI: 4:38pm On Feb 18, 2008
An opinion poll for bachelors and sprinsters on money spraying? who will support non-spraying of the naira at his or her wedding. and the married people of this forum, will you support non-spraying of money at ur children's wedding?

I set the ball rolling by giving my answer to question one cos I am a bachelor. I will not support non-spraying
of money at my wedding. it's part of the fun! It's part of our culture, we created it and we love it. Paper money was made by Colonists and so not in our culture, somebody said, but right there on the American continent we spray dollars in Nigerian parties. we created a culture with their paper money, simple! A scene in the movie 'Phat Girls' confirms that.

As long as the naira is not set on fire, let it make event thick!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by zigam(m): 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2008
Spraying! Spraying!!  All is just “notice me syndrome” of how Nigerians place wealth above other things.  Is there anything wrong if you walk up to the couple(s) on that wedding day and handover your money behind closed-door?  Must everybody notice how long you have been spraying the Naira?

A great deal I will say that KSA displayed backward mentality, I must also add that the greatest abuse our Naira suffer is its valueless and pointless looting by our heartless leaders.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by spora(m): 5:04pm On Feb 18, 2008
****thinking******

Thank God the law was not on before my wedding. Imagine what would have happened to the over N250k I harvested.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2008
OH Please @Texazzpete,  give me a break. Why oh why do you too come up with the lame line that because I am not PRESENTLY IN NIGERIA means I do not know what is happening in that country. Pray tell, do you even know how often I go down there a year?? I mean it makes me sick when people think that just cause a person does not live presently in the country equals the person has no clue what is going on down there. sheeshs!!! Please come up with a better excuse for your side of the argument next time. Not the usually attack that means squat since you do not even know if I am in Nigeria or will be in a week as we speak and you do not even know the last time I was there and where I was.

nuzo (m)
China

Re: "you Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - Ksa To Soludo.
« #28 on: Today at 06:38:18 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes the government have little or no choice than to make some laws even when it has to trample on some stupid acts. Nigeria will not be the first to do this and this is one of such laws the laws.
Nigerians are not the only people who spray money, but our own case has become horrible. Most times in our own case, it's on the ground.
For the records, the government spends more than the actual value of 50 naira denomination down to 5 naira in minting. If avoiding that cost for a long time does not boost the economy, then am afraid something is wrong somewhere.

You still did not give a solid reason for this law. Like I keep saying, spraying happens in most all countries in the world we live in today. Even across america, millions are sprayed daily. Targetting spraying to be eliminated just cause you can not stand it is not reason enough. I myself do not like the idea but does that then warrant my denying others of the right to spray their own hard earned money?? Like I have said over and over, instead we could come up with, actually find better ways to make money more durable. And again, did you consider the scenario I gave of how about less than 1% of the money that is actually sprayed is even trampled, how then is that reason enough to have a law against the act of spraying and not the act of trampling money itself
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 5:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
KAY TOBEI:

An opinion poll for bachelors and sprinsters on money spraying? who will support non-spraying of the naira at his or her wedding. and the married people of this forum, will you support non-spraying of money at your children's wedding?

I set the ball rolling by giving my answer to question one because I am a bachelor. I will not support non-spraying
of money at my wedding. it's part of the fun! It's part of our culture, we created it and we love it. Paper money was made by Colonists and so not in our culture, somebody said, but right there on the American continent we spray dollars in Nigerian parties. we created a culture with their paper money, simple! A scene in the movie 'Phat Girls' confirms that.

As long as the naira is not set on fire, let it make event thick!

naturally there will always be people irredeemably set to disobey the law, to go against what is right and just.

By all means, spray money. just know you've lost the moral right to condemn any of our leaders for their misdeeds.

As i said before, i've attended a wedding where the MC insisted that spraying be curtailed.

KAY TOBEI:

we created a culture with their paper money, simple!

Nope. we created an impression of being uncouth barbarians.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by AKO1(m): 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2008

GBA!! End of story. That's why now it's almost impossible to find a crispy clean 5 naira note unless you check the mint. The new notes were the smaller denominations, the bulk of which are handled by the lower middle class and below.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2008
spora:

****thinking******

Thank God the law was not on before my wedding. Imagine what would have happened to the over N250k I harvested.

@ Spora,
You see life, how i go take do my own now, if people no spray, dem no go drop money again o and please what will be the point of dancing.
i am sorry o, but i support KSA on this one.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2008
Kobojunkie:

OH Please @Texazzpete, give me a break. Why oh why do you too come up with the lame line that because I am not PRESENTLY IN NIGERIA means I do not know what is happening in that country. Pray tell, do you even know how often I go down there a year?? I mean it makes me sick when people think that just cause a person does not live presently in the country equals the person has no clue what is going on down there. sheeshs!!! Please come up with a better excuse for your side of the argument next time. Not the usually attack that means squat since you do not even know if I am in Nigeria or will be in a week as we speak and you do not even know the last time I was there and where I was.

I've never said you had no clue what's happening in Nigeria. kindly show me where i said that.

I said you do not pay taxes to the Nigerian Government. So it's no wonder you're unmoved by unneccesary diversion of taxpayers money to repair naira notes worn down by activities you overtly support.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? / Nigeria To Resume Oil Export To United States / How To Register Your Business On VCONNECT.COM To Get More Clients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.