Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,839 members, 7,882,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 07:26 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (472374 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:09am On Dec 13, 2009
i generally prefer kde 3.5, response time is less; mepis has it's own repository but yes it's based on debian
8.04 is long term support, they'll be supporting longer than 9.04
mandriva's rpm based updating of packages might not be as fast but hardware detection is crazy, that was the first linux
distro that i didn't have to configure my modem
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:04am On Dec 13, 2009
Speak of which i installed mepis, but i find i cant acquire root privileges in my account! I had 2 install some stuff by logging into root!

I also cant run kdesu prog. Hw far wit that? I wanted 2 stop some service daemons from starting up wit pc.

And once again network mgr is just , tsk. I even wanted 2 invoke a script 2 restart like i do in ubuntu but i think d su thing not allowing.

Ideas? Or else i go 2 mint like dt o!
Best kde iv seen yet. Read dt kde 4.3 cures d old yawns.

Mandriva. Hmmn ok will some stuff live 2 see.

Nb is there a way u can install packages off anor distro cd? If u put 1 in it says a cd wit packages has been detected start software sources or is it synaptic, ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:27am On Dec 13, 2009
My posts are bein blocked again o! Dis is not romance section ke! Hw does a linux cmd flag d bots? U dis nl admins/owner are light headed.
Ok i fink i get it. 2 b root in mepis is - su root , or is it su username?

Am on phone n out so im not checking now.

Wats d cmd? And please how do i configure d startup daemons?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:24pm On Dec 13, 2009
by default if you type su without the usename linux assumes it's root you're tryng to su as root
so "su root" will work but so will "su"

to be able to use the sudo command you have to edit the sudoers file and give your user access, the command to do that is visudo
warning: you probably have to be a bit familiar with vi to use this command, i know how many times i had
problems before i finally got an idea on how to handle it; anyway you cn read more on it off the web sha
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:27pm On Dec 14, 2009
thanks. hmmn, lemme go googling again. i rmbr i saw that sudoers thingy but i dunno o.

then i looked well at mandriva again. actually was nice and very user ready. hw did they manage to get as much as that on a cd while ubuntu just packs useless stuff. who uses a mail client? everything was working on the pc i tried it on, including compiz!!!! but one draw back. it did not recognise my fone and i couldnt dial up with it, disqualification.

fedora, tseew. they have a long way to go jare
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:33pm On Dec 14, 2009
4llerbe
beta hola me on YIM if u want dat tin oh. . . . may soon log off
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2009
I cant seem 2 figure out hw 2 mount the oda sfs files again in pup. They are in d same folder wit d main in a frugal boot. I tink main puppy used 2 hav a straight fwd utility 2 mnt sfs files? Need 2 get dt kde running o.

Hmmn so much palava. Lol.

Which reminds me, wine is very useless for networkin apps shey?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:49pm On Dec 14, 2009
4llerbuntu:

I cant seem 2 figure out hw 2 mount the oda sfs files again in pup. They are in d same folder wit d main in a frugal boot. I tink main puppy used 2 hav a straight fwd utility 2 mnt sfs files? Need 2 get dt kde running o.

Hmmn so much palava. Lol.

Which reminds me, wine is very useless for networkin apps shey?
VERY!!
none dat hv tried so far works. . . . well except if blackweaver has smtin up his sleeve(which happens often tyms wink grin)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
nah haven't tried any, u guys are probably more familiar with wine than i am anyway
as for the sfs files i don't know what's wrong with puppy but u're going to have to put it in the outer directory,
very annoying, one would think all your files would be in one folder
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:20pm On Dec 15, 2009
yeah as i found out. i moved them into C:\ and rebooted. then the bootmanager thingy appeared from nowhere and i added the thingy. unfortunately the kde keeps crashing. but the lxde does ok i guess.

i do wish them blokes would do something about bluetooth. bluez is available for free ke. i dunno maybe i have to learn to compile .pets myself and then pray it works. ad they changed the network thingy. the old one used to have APN functionality for dial up this one doesnt. hw we supposed to be able to dial up? even a usb modem needs the apn.

ok LYNX hw far with tht download
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:57am On Dec 16, 2009
well u can use the kde apps without actually using kde; u get the benefit of a light
window manager and access to kde apps; amarok is my favorite audio player
not only does it have a nice music library but i can also use it to batch rename
my music files, something i haven't seen on any other music player since
musicmatch in windows (i have a format for naming my music files)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
true!!! but i guess rythmbox does it for me. i noticed though that u cant install .debs. used to be possible in the original.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:41pm On Dec 16, 2009
you can install the package that will allow the .deb installation
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:52am On Dec 17, 2009
which is?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Hayorbahmy(m): 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2009
@all the Linux peeps here, I really need help urgently

I did an update from 8.04 to 9.04(which proved to b a disaster) online, I had my external HDD plugged in while doing the update(upgrade) when I restarted my machine I noticed my grub was messed up so I couldnt log in. I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu. When I boot into my vista I noticed I couldnt access the HDD from windows, explorer jst slows down whenever I plug in the HDD. But I could see my files from Ubuntu(After I fixed the issue), I continued using d HDD like dis until I gave it to a friend who also uses ubuntu. He forced d HDD to mount and after finishing with it couldnt unmount it. HE YANKED THE HDD OFF THE MACHINE, and since then I av nt been able to access my HDD on windows or Linux.

The HDD contains a lot , I need help getting my files back, GRACIAS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:14pm On Dec 18, 2009
boot without pluggin the harddrive then afterwards plug it in then after maybe 30 secs type:
tail -n 20 /var/log/messages and let us know the output (i'm not sure but u might need root access
to see the contents of that file)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:29pm On Dec 18, 2009
some nice development for those of us using apple itouch and iphone. apple and their encyption experts think they can best the power of open source. never again will they make that mistake. all other ipod models have long been working out of the box on linux except the iphone and ipod touch. all efforts to right this seemed futile but prancing about on d net a few days ago, i stumbled on http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ipod-touch-3g-sync-over-usb-without-jailbraking-in-ubuntu-karmic.html post. tried it and it works after downloading the files without even completing the steps. i had to do some command line stuff to get it to work with gtkpod though (worked with rythmbox seamlessly). overall, i was happy with the result cos i almost used to pull my hair out anytime i had to restart my computer and boot into windows just to sync one song to my ipod. now if only i can figure out how to sync videos usingg gtkpod or any other alternative
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:25am On Dec 19, 2009
@4llerbe
hv u com up wit ideas on hw to get it? wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:25am On Dec 20, 2009
Nah! Short of sending my PA wit my hummer 2 isolo 2 come get it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 6:05am On Dec 20, 2009
OLE!! grin grin
hv a surprise for u dis week wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:36am On Dec 20, 2009
Ur mouthed n 4kasibe-ed!

By d way lets get technical. wondermenting if on can downgrade from dis grub2 palava 2 grub legacy wit a previous ubuntu livecd?

Or in short downgrading grub from a livecd. Me i dunno hw im gonna uninstall grub2 from a terminal and connect my dialup internet from terminal and download n install grub legacy! Am no geek
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:11pm On Dec 20, 2009
hey gentle men, iv always been bitching about dual booting and running partitions for both OS, well i think iv found the solution.

i went googling and found a ware called fs driver,. it enables windows mount ext partitions but unfortunately it only fully supports ext2, but i stumbled on anor that can write on ext3, well thats wat i use for my home partitions anyway so lets go there. u can get it at this link http://cdnetworks-us-2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ext2fsd/Ext2fsd/0.48/Ext2Fsd-0.48.exe

its called ext2fsd, but it reads and write to ext3 too. chinese blokes ehn, dem worry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:55am On Dec 22, 2009
hey lynx, they delivered the package. thanks man. ur the bomb.

nb tor works for that move in ubuntu, so u might wanna check it out. am getting speeds of 45KBps. not bad.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:17am On Dec 22, 2009
@4llerbuntu
I used ext2fsd for some time but I found a better one known as ext2ifs. This one actually mounts the ubuntu partiton on ur nOrmal windows explored. During the time of 7.04 and 7.10, this used to work for even ext3 partitons but when 8.04 came, it suddenly stopped working for ext3. I guess they must have done something to the file system that the ext2ifs guys did not take note of. Anyway, after trying to find a better software to take care of that, I eventually decided to create a /home partiton that was ext2 and make the normal / partiton ext4 so I can access my user files on windows and the system files are safe. I learnt the hard way that ext2 filesystem is a very buggy one and so if you use it to format the whole system, a forced shutdown is enough to male it crash.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:43am On Dec 22, 2009
hmmn, well, now i used ext4 for the 9.10 /root cos the thing kept on messing up with ext3.

am keeping my fingers crossed now watching if it will misbehave this time again. i use ext3 for home.

well actually i found that ext2fsd made the ext3 partition appear in explorer too but in the end it made me nervous staring at my ubuntu partitions like that so i uninstalled it. besides it looks like a major security breach to me and the added risk that some mugun like my bros could look at the partition one day and format it or harm it somehw.

if i need to access the partition from windows i can always install it back.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by smoothine: 11:28pm On Dec 22, 2009
What is the difference between a 32bit system and 64bit system. Can a 64 bit software run on a 32 bit hardware and vice versa.anyone with the knowledge please share.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:34pm On Dec 22, 2009
i came across this essay recently. it should answer your questions.
[url]http://lifehacker.com/5431284/the-lifehacker-guide-to-64+bit-vs-32+bit-operating-systems?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehacker%29[/url]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:48am On Dec 23, 2009
4llerbuntu:

hey lynx, they delivered the package. thanks man. your the bomb.
nb tor works for that move in ubuntu, so u might wanna check it out. am getting speeds of 45KBps. not bad.
accept it as my xmas gift wink
hmmmm tor. . . . ok wil giv it a try. . .tnx
hit me on yim wen u can mk we yarn more
ltr
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 6:57pm On Dec 23, 2009
just in case someone wanders in here and knows the answer, i want to change the taskbar in mint to the normal ubuntu arrangement. i find this "windows like" design annoying. u have to go thru hw many drop downs and side tabs to get to where u going.

just tell me how. am too lazy to start poking around it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by folabuntu: 4:08pm On Dec 25, 2009
hey i got round to tinkering with the mint desktop and came up with this. well not perfect for me but kinda serviceable. the docks refusing to start thats why iv got icons allover.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by folabuntu: 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2009
ahen lest i forget, mozilla keeps trying to play content, mp3, avi etc. i tried setting the application actions to ask every time yet it still does the same. pointers pls. its annoying. i cant download stuff
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:11pm On Dec 25, 2009
@4llerbe
wetin u do again?

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.