Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,860 members, 7,883,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 09:23 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (472387 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 9:04am On Jan 08, 2010
The phone modem works perfectly on windows, & l have updated the Os, but still gives the same error messages. Afolabi was even surprised that the modem did not work with ubuntu 9.04. so l need advice on what to do.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:12pm On Jan 08, 2010
I dunno! Am truly stumped.

Ok, u knw wat, u guys shld try see if d system loads drivers for that modem, then try googling d modem and drivers for it, if u get, try using modprobe 2 load it n see.

P.s when u plug in d fone, run lspci 2 See if d fone is even detected at all!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2010
@all, pls I need to know why it is that whenevr I update my ubuntu 9.04, I see a knew link in my boot up grub screen, cos I'm dual bootin with vista. What I mean is all the previous updates of the 9.04 also appear below, which fills my screen.

2ndly, are there anythings I should take note of if I want to upgrade to 9.10, would I loose my docs for example? Thanx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:03pm On Jan 08, 2010
D new links means during ur upgrade u got a new kernel. U can remove d old ones BUT NOT ADVISABLE!.

Reason is a new kernel may cause u a regression n u will need d older stable kernel. They usually contain security patches n new hardware drivers wit oda stuff anyway.

Personally id say dont upgrade to 9.10 cos it could be either way. It may fly with ur hardware or mess u up! I use it though, but patience till 10.04 wont hurt. Its a work in progress. Read d thread backwards a bit.

Anyway if u want to, if u have ur home on a seperate partition, go ahead. BUT DO NOT DO AN ONLINE UPGRADE O! Basically grub2 issues amongst others.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:32pm On Jan 10, 2010
Ok, back on front page! Haha, hw can d gr8 penguin's thread die!

Where weaver? Hw far? u are MIA these days o!

Anyways, i want 2 purge my system back 2 d initial state after install, noticed its slowing down. I must hav done sumtin 2 it, long periods on now hav d opposite effect. Ideas any1
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2010
what programs have you installed lately? perhaps some of them come with services that startup immediately

@mendax type gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (which is where the boot entries are located) and remove the entries that you don't want anymore
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:50pm On Jan 10, 2010
for all u google chrome fans i guess by now you know that it's now available in linux you can go to the google chrome download page to obtain it (i'm not sure if it's in the ubuntu repository yet)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2010
ah, iv been using it for about 3 weeks now. its in the repos i think!!, i did not use the repos anyway but i think its in universe.

hummnn, i dunno, tried removing some of the candy though. i did look at the drive and found that it has 7 bad sectors
the drive is just 6 weeks old!!! how can i repair the bad sectors, windows cannot see the ext partition and the magic tools i have does not repair!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2010
how did u find out it has bad sectors (i.e. what command) fsck?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:46am On Jan 11, 2010
Nah, there is this utility called palimpest. Comes with mint. Can manage drives. It gave d report. D bad sectors are on d home partition.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:58pm On Jan 11, 2010
@fasho16 sorry i haven't replied you since, must have missed your last post
type: sudo lsmod | grep usb and let me know the result
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:59am On Jan 12, 2010
U knw it just occured 2 me,, b4 u edit dt menu.lst, make a copy of it n keep elsewhere. In case.

Weaver, remind me d cmd 2 purge all programs.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:20pm On Jan 13, 2010
purge like how? from where
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:50am On Jan 14, 2010
4llerbuntu:

Nah, there is this utility called palimpest. Comes with mint. Can manage drives. It gave d report. D bad sectors are on d home partition.
Don't be bothered by that. The Utility is way too sensitive, it says the same badsector ish on just about about every laptop. Technically every hard-drive has a bad sector. but there dont matter in the grand scale of things and should be over looked. A bug was filed for this same issue with the fedora guy who maintains the program and the issue should be fixed with updates. You can always disable the warning by removing palimest from the list of tools that starts up with your system
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:59am On Jan 14, 2010
mendax:

@all, pls I need to know why it is that whenevr I update my ubuntu 9.04, I see a knew link in my boot up grub screen, cos I'm dual bootin with vista. What I mean is all the previous updates of the 9.04 also appear below, which fills my screen.
I honestly didnt get this part of your msg. If you were referring to the grup screen. Then everytime there is a kernel update, you have the list of the latest kernel and the previous kernel show up in your grub menu. The reason is to allow you switch to a last working kernel in case the latest kernel give you some issues.

2ndly, are there anythings I should take note of if I want to upgrade to 9.10, would I loose my docs for example? Thanx
My advise is to backup and do a clean install. 9.10 is a major release and comes with many radical changes from Jaunty. many things like Hal, boot manager, filesystem and init etc have either been depreciated or completely removed. hence the chances of failure is very high, also with the unstable internet we have in nigeria if anything does wrong like internet gets interrupted or power failure doing an upgrade you system would be horsed. The clean install has many advantages and much more a preferred and recommended way of installing a new release.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 14, 2010
bigrovar:

I honestly didnt get this part of your msg. If you were referring to the grup screen. Then everytime there is a kernel update, you have the list of the latest kernel and the previous kernel show up in your grub menu. The reason is to allow you switch to a last working kernel in case the latest kernel give you some issues.

My advise is to backup and do a clean install. 9.10 is a major release and comes with many radical changes from Jaunty. many things like Hal, boot manager, filesystem and init etc have either been depreciated or completely removed. hence the chances of failure is very high, also with the unstable internet we have in nigeria if anything does wrong like internet gets interrupted or power failure doing an upgrade you system would be horsed. The clean install has many advantages and much more a preferred and recommended way of installing a new release.

bigrovar - long time no see - happy new year - make i joke take page from my main man 4llerbuntu's page - this 9.10 upgrade install wahala sounds like something str8 out of an antiwindows rant

no mind me o - i cldn't resist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:06am On Jan 14, 2010
at least we say it as it is. how many times will i tell u am not anti-windows! am just a bit more enlightened enuf 2 knw a world exists outside windows, a potentially better world. ok so bigrovar what could be responsible for my system slowdown. its noticeably slower. as per d purge ? i was wondering if i could remove all programs at a go. more or less revert to fresh install stage. av tried running fsck on d drive anyway. no improvement
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:17am On Jan 14, 2010
4llerbuntu:

at least we say it as it is. how many times will i tell u am not anti-windows! am just a bit more enlightened enuf 2 knw a world exists outside windows, a potentially better world. ok so bigrovar what could be responsible for my system slowdown. its noticeably slower. as per d purge ? i was wondering if i could remove all programs at a go. more or less revert to fresh install stage. av tried running fsck on d drive anyway. no improvement
I really couldn't from your message understand what issues you are having. perhaps you could explain better and slowly :p
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2010
i see u changed ur blog. sorry 4 sounding hurried. me n weaver are used 2 conversations like that. well the issue is i noticed that my system is noticeably slower. i removed all eyecandy i earlier installed but had no difference in performance. which led me to the palinpsest issue n suspicion of hard drive bad sectors earlier referred to. now i have tried running fsck on the drive but had no improvements. i use mint 9.10. suggestions?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:14pm On Jan 14, 2010
4llerbuntu:

i see u changed your blog. sorry 4 sounding hurried. me n weaver are used 2 conversations like that. well the issue is i noticed that my system is noticeably slower. i removed all eyecandy i earlier installed but had no difference in performance. which led me to the palinpsest issue n suspicion of hard drive bad sectors earlier referred to. now i have tried running fsck on the drive but had no improvements. i use mint 9.10. suggestions?

What graphic card are you using? and when say noticeably slower what are you comparing too? ( has it always been this way since you installed mint 9.10? or is this a recent development? and was it this way with Ubuntu 9.04 or mint 9.04? ) I am asking because there are some regression wtih some Intel cards on karmic which causes the system to be very slow and shubby performance wise. and also how fast does it take to login, start a program, copy files etc
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:51pm On Jan 14, 2010
bigrovar:

What graphic card are you using? and when say noticeably slower what are you comparing too? ( has it always been this way since you installed mint 9.10? or is this a recent development? and was it this way with Ubuntu 9.04 or mint 9.04? ) I am asking because there are some regression wtih some Intel cards on karmic which causes the system to be very slow and shubby performance wise. and also how fast does it take to login, start a program, copy files etc

i use an ati radeon card. it was'nt even like this when it was freshly installed and it definitely wasnt like this with 9.04.

i heard about the regression wahala too, hummn, ok so that could be it? well its noticeably slower to start programs, copying seems to be ok, i guess i never really took notice of the speed of copying anyway. login is like maybe 15 secs slower thereabouts, but the issue is not with startup.

its when it starts up, then i launch a program it then starts to drag. 5 programs you probably have to wait 10 secs to even change windows from one to the other. firefox is really a pain to use now, takes like 40 secs to even start.

maybe i just go back to 9.04 i just want to be sure that its not some other problem e.g. the hard drive because i changed the drive like 7 weeks back after the old one failed.

it'll be really annoying to go back to 9.04 then find out that its still slow again!!!! im enjoying some features in this 9.10
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
4llerbuntu:

i use an ati radeon card. it was'nt even like this when it was freshly installed and it definitely wasnt like this with 9.04. 

i heard about the regression wahala too, hummn, ok so that could be it? well its noticeably slower to start programs, copying seems to be ok, i guess i never really took notice of the speed of copying anyway. login is like maybe 15 secs slower thereabouts, but the issue is not with startup.

its when it starts up, then i launch a program it then starts to drag. 5 programs you probably have to wait 10 secs to even change windows from one to the other. firefox is really a pain to use now, takes like 40 secs to even start.

maybe i just go back to 9.04 i just want to be sure that its not some other problem e.g. the hard drive because i changed the drive like 7 weeks back after the old one failed.

it'll be really annoying to go back to 9.04 then find out that its still slow again!!!! im enjoying some features in this 9.10

Most times when thngs turn up like this, its mostly issues with Kernel updates or updates to the graphic card.  when up start your system. with nothing running, try and check your system process to see what might be eating the system memory. you can do this by going to /system/administration/system monitor ( or something like that, am on kde atm) from there u can go to the process tab and check to see what could be eating the system memory. also can u post the output of this command
cat /proc/version 
which should display what kernel version you are running and
lspci | grep Graphics 
should display your graphic card version.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 8:12am On Jan 15, 2010
Hi, 4llerbuntu, sorry for replying to this post a bit late. below is the outcome of lspci and lsmod, with the modem attached to the system.

fasho16@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
fasho16@ubuntu:~$

fasho16@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_iso8859_1          12032  1
nls_cp437              13696  1
vfat                   18816  1
fat                    58272  1 vfat
usb_storage            99648  1
ti_usb_3410_5052       33608  0
usbserial              39656  1 ti_usb_3410_5052
i915                   67844  2
drm                    96424  3 i915
binfmt_misc            16776  1
ppdev                  15620  0
bridge                 56212  0
stp                    10500  1 bridge
bnep                   20224  2
input_polldev          11912  0
joydev                 18368  0
lp                     17156  0
parport                42220  2 ppdev,lp
snd_hda_intel         436148  3
snd_pcm_oss            46336  0
snd_mixer_oss          22656  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                83076  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
arc4                    9856  2
snd_seq_dummy          10756  0
ecb                    10752  2
snd_seq_oss            37760  0
snd_seq_midi           14336  0
snd_rawmidi            29696  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event     15104  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                56880  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
ath5k                 107520  0
uvcvideo               63368  0
snd_timer              29704  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         14988  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
compat_ioctl32          9344  1 uvcvideo
mac80211              217592  1 ath5k
videodev               41600  1 uvcvideo
psmouse                61972  0
led_class              12036  1 ath5k
snd                    62756  15 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
v4l1_compat            21764  2 uvcvideo,videodev
pcspkr                 10496  0
serio_raw              13444  0
btusb                  19608  2
soundcore              15200  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         16904  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
video                  25872  0
cfg80211               38288  2 ath5k,mac80211
iTCO_wdt               19108  0
iTCO_vendor_support    11652  1 iTCO_wdt
output                 11008  1 video
intel_agp              34108  1
agpgart                42696  3 drm,intel_agp
r8169                  40836  0
mii                    13312  1 r8169
fbcon                  46112  0
tileblit               10752  1 fbcon
font                   16384  1 fbcon
bitblit                13824  1 fbcon
softcursor              9984  1 bitblit
fasho16@ubuntu:~$

hoping to get a reply soon.
Thanks for the help so far.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
@ fasho, sorry but i forgot to add "lsusb"

so we see whats detected on the ports.

for what its worth your output shows no modems, i hope the lsusb will show the phone as something.

then as i said am a bit stumped but u know that if the pc dont even detect the phone then nothing we can do!!

u can check this link maybe it will provide joy, particularly the scanmodem option.

hope to have time over the weekend so we tackle this once and for all
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by instinctg(m): 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
pls how can i get a bootable ubuntu/ knoppix linux cd/dvd? quite difficult gettin it even in comp village.also, downloading online is very slow so its not an option 4me.
response ll b highly appreciated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
4llerbuntu

does 9.10 come with internal power management software?

i ask because i had an issue like that wih my laptop - its a thinkpad - i intsalled the thinpad power management software. shortly after my computer bega displayinmg a slow response. i did everything - proceeses the whole hog. eventually i found the problem in the power management settings - it was running the cpu in lower power consumption stae, which was impacting m speed. one i set it to a maximum power state for the cpu - the slowness vanished.

it may work for you. . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2010
@instinctg
where do you live? perhaps you could find someone who lives not too far away who can give you a copy

@4llerbuntu if i remember well the huawei modem uses a different usb modem driver from your normal usb modems
it's usually a ti_usb_3410_5052 driver as opposed to the usbserial driver that works for most usb modems
i remeber i had to do something in the /etc/udev rules folder too
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:09pm On Jan 16, 2010
thanx weaver. now we getting somewhere. *@fasho well as u can see setserial drivers wont work. hmmn ok when i get on pc we do stuff. but i think d huawei drivers are on dt page dt i linked. if lsusb shows d phone then we shld be able 2 solve this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:35pm On Jan 16, 2010
try this link, it may give help
http://sbjaved..com/2008/06/huawei-ets-2558-setup-guide-for-linux.html
unfortunately i have removed the old config from my machine and it was
a while ago else i would have told how exactly i didi it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:42pm On Jan 16, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by instinctg(m): 10:32am On Jan 17, 2010
@blackweaver
am serving in delta but live in ikeja, lagos. of course if i had someone who could give me i wouldnt av posted d request.
pls let me know if u av any. tanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.