Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,702 members, 7,941,678 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 11:17 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (480542 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by texazzpete(m): 6:45pm On Mar 01, 2010
oyb:

oga i am suprised you have never sought to impart this advice to 4llerbe, whose thread invasions are far more annoying and juvenile. this is what is called pot calling kettle black

You beat me to it.
and Dual Core's right. You need a sense of humor.

Seeing as i'm on the Linux thread, i may well ask: anyone here still running Ubuntu on their PS3? I gave it up long ago when i still had an old CRT, but now with a HDTV i may well take the plunge again. Just would like to see if there's anyone out there doing that right now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:42am On Mar 02, 2010
oyb:

oga i am suprised you have never sought to impart this advice to 4llerbe, whose thread invasions are far more annoying and juvenile. this is what is called pot calling kettle black

If you feel 4llerbe annoys you or disrupts a thread you are interested in by all means reason with him or even report him to a moderator.  I do not police NL I only states things as they concern me or what I am interested in. If anyone tries to divert the attention of this thread by trolling or  diverting the main purpose I would try my best to reason with the person to desist from such act. I urge you to do the same.  What I said here is sensitivity and posting things which is not likely to inflame people.  many a thread have gone down under because of some silly post which divert from the main purpose of the thread. I have nothing against anyone. If you come here to seek help or hold a healthy discussion about linux you are welcome. But coming here to stare flamewar is not the culture here and it is generally frowned at.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2010
what thread invasion? when and where ? ah this is why i even stopped contributing to all those winblows issues threads!

man look, i will repeat it again, get of my case hunh?! na wetin? na only 4llerbuntu u dey see 4 nl?

point to a THREAD in which i INVADED AND DERAILED THE TOPIC FOR TROLLING!

just as i thot. woo whatever rocks ur cradle bo, if u get u rocks off me, good for u! just do me a fovor and stop mentioning my name when ever u want to have ur MoM
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 02, 2010
4llerbuntu:

what thread invasion? when and where ? ah this is why i even stopped contributing [/b]to all those winblows issues threads!

man look, i will repeat it again, get of my case hunh?! na wetin? na only 4llerbuntu u dey see 4 nl?

point to a THREAD in which i INVADED AND DERAILED THE TOPIC FOR TROLLING!

just as i thot. woo whatever rocks your cradle bo, if u get u rocks off me, good for u! just do me a fovor and stop mentioning my name when ever u want to have your [b]MoM

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-366914.0.html

this would be a good start - don't go modifying your posts now. . . tongue

u need to get a dictionary - seems being a linux fanboy has played havoc with how you comprehend the english language - you call THAT 'tscheww' which predictably went downhill from there - contributing to a thread

i sincerely hope that MoM is an acronym - it would be too bad, but not particularly surprising, if you were to add personal/family insults to your ever growing list of crude , rude and juvenile infantile actions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
NAH MoM means "Moment of Madness"
kapisch!? i really would like to stop having these discussions with you folks so tara! ciao see ya etc etc. i will try my best to ignore you pls reciprocate. and that includes when im talking to someone else, cos if its not directed at you or the world at large, THEN IT NONE OF YOUR Zap.I.N.G BUSINESS!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:24pm On Mar 02, 2010
oyb:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-366914.0.html

this would be a good start - don't go modifying your posts now. . . tongue

u need to get a dictionary - seems being a linux fanboy has played havoc with how you comprehend the english language - you call THAT 'tscheww' which predictably went downhill from there - contributing to a thread

i sincerely hope that MoM is an acronym - it would be too bad, but not particularly surprising, if you were to add personal/family insults to your ever growing list of crude , rude and juvenile infantile actions

you post is the exact reason I wanted everyone to apply caution with what there say and stay on track so we dont go off topic. again this is not a linux windows thing. Oyb if you want to make it one, I am not scared, but this is not the please, take your issue with anyone here somewhere else. Don't come here to insult people because there choose to use a software you dont use. That is very childish and lame. The world is more important than which OS you run. please if you have not important to contribute. Then move along.

4llerbuntu:

NAH MoM means "Moment of Madness"
kapisch!? i really would like to stop having these discussions with you folks so tara! ciao see ya etc etc. i will try my best to ignore you pls reciprocate. and that includes when im talking to someone else, cos if its not directed at you or the world at large, THEN IT NONE OF YOUR Zap.I.N.G BUSINESS!

well 4llerbuntu I really dont know what issues you have with oyb but using swear word would not help. The best answer to a troll is just ignore them lets try and make this please very clean. I am no overload or thread police. But there is a reason why the Ubuntu forum thread has been on frontpage of Computer section for over 5 years now and its not because people throw insult around. Let us try and keep that standard.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 02, 2010
@bigrovar - it is sad that you pretend to be unaware of 4llerbes antics

fyi - your protege has been pissing off everyone with his frequent incursions into threads to mouth off against windows, bill gates, anti malware apps, etc.

its gotten so bad that dua core and myself incidntally, were surprised when he made a post in a thread about an activation issue that didn't attack windows.

if you want to pretend that you are unaware of this - well and good - but please stop trying to paint him as some sort of blameless saint

you should be bothered about the sort of ambassadors your OS is spawning.

Don't come here to insult people because there choose to use a software you dont use. That is very childish and lame. The world is more important than which OS you run. please if you have not important to contribute.

you need to go through 4llerbes posts - then youb will realise those fingers are pointing at y'all.

why do you think the other more regular ubuntu users on the thread are silent on this issue? before going off on a holier than thou tanget, do some research.

the only troll here is 4llerbe - just check his post history tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2010
takes two to banter, but then mums the word. thanks bigrovar, sheesh it just gets annoying at times the way the overlords here provoke a man.

back to the thread!!!! pls i do need help, cos for 1 am simply stuck halfways here, am of two minds about this issue anyway.

i recently acqiured one of them 3g usb thingys, a HUAWEI E156G from mtn and promptly looked for the unlock code and unlocked it. it actually worked OOTB, well the first few days it seems, both in ubuntu and windows!

overnite i was trying to use my jaunty box at home and found it had a strange behavior, it would connect, work perfectly for like 5 mins then stop. its still apparently connected yet its not sending or recieving packets! the browser keeps spitting out error messages about not being connected.

at first i thot nothing of it, only to get to work and find that on my karmic box its the same, infact it worked for like 30 mins then stopped. i was surprised and after looking through and reconnecting it a couple of times, i gave up and booted into my vista partition to try it, at first the behavior was kinda the same, but after like three tries, it worked for 5 hrs straight with no issues (i was beginning to think it was the modem itself that was faulty but this made me think again)

im trying it in karmic again and its back to the same beat, on the same pc! my fone works just fine as a modem anyways.

so im trying to decide if this is a hardware thingy or just compatibility issues or if something has gone wrong somewhere settings wise.

WHAT IV TRIED SO FAR

lsusb lists it as Huawei but the model no as E220! surely cant be that no?
even the networking wizard does that too but it does connect fine, just wont send packets

iv tried to use the net tools, ping gives no returns at all, or rather the first two packets get returns then zilch!!

sudo lshw -C network gives the following output:
fola@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 01
serial: 00:26:5c:a7:a7:ab
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:16 memory:d1100000-d110ffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: c0
serial: 00:26:22:1f:9e:aa
capacity: 100MB/s
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.0.1-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:28 memory:d1000000-d103ffff ioport:2000(size=128)

suggestions on how to trouble shoot this thing. one mind tells me it may be dns issues, another says the usb modem is bad!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:23pm On Mar 02, 2010
as a matter of fact, i can see that the usb network is not listed in that last cmd, i did that whilst connected

umm, why is not registered as a network connection even while it is connected?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
the bot is swallowing my posts again. let me divide it into two parts. this is what i previously posted:

takes two to banter, but then mums the word. thanks bigrovar, sheesh it just gets annoying at times the way the overlords here provoke a man.

back to the thread!!!! pls i do need help, cos for 1 am simply stuck halfways here, am of two minds about this issue anyway.

i recently acqiured one of them 3g usb thingys, a HUAWEI E156G from mtn and promptly looked for the unlock code and unlocked it. it actually worked OOTB, well the first few days it seems, both in ubuntu and windows!

overnite i was trying to use my jaunty box at home and found it had a strange behavior, it would connect, work perfectly for like 5 mins then stop. its still apparently connected yet its not sending or recieving packets! the browser keeps spitting out error messages about not being connected.

at first i thot nothing of it, only to get to work and find that on my karmic box its the same, infact it worked for like 30 mins then stopped. i was surprised and after looking through and reconnecting it a couple of times, i gave up and booted into my vista partition to try it, at first the behavior was kinda the same, but after like three tries, it worked for 5 hrs straight with no issues (i was beginning to think it was the modem itself that was faulty but this made me think again)

im trying it in karmic again and its back to the same beat, on the same pc! my fone works just fine as a modem anyways.

so im trying to decide if this is a hardware thingy or just compatibility issues or if something has gone wrong somewhere settings wise.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2010
WHAT IV TRIED SO FAR

lsusb lists it as Huawei but the model no as E220! surely that cannot be the issue?
even the networking wizard does that too but it does connect fine, just wont send packets

iv tried to use the net tools, ping gives no returns at all, or rather the first two packets get returns then zilch!!

sudo lshw -C network gives the following output:
fola@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 01
serial: 00:26:5c:a7:a7:ab
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:16 memory:d1100000-d110ffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: c0
serial: 00:26:22:1f:9e:aa
capacity: 100MB/s
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.0.1-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:28 memory:d1000000-d103ffff ioport:2000(size=128)

suggestions on how to trouble shoot this thing. one mind tells me it may be dns issues, another says the usb modem is bad!

clearly it does not list the modem connection as a network connection!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:59pm On Mar 02, 2010
the terminal output part keeps getting swallowed, humor me by looking at my last posts pls.

suffice to say whats there is that i run ping and it has no responses at all even when im connected

i run sudo lshw -C network and the modem connection is also not listed!

i want to trouble shoot the thingy. i need help.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:02pm On Mar 02, 2010
pls just look at my last posts in my profile, the bot keeps swallowing my posts

apparently linux cmds are now banned! u can only know in what direction to look for that kinda sacrilege!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:05pm On Mar 02, 2010
you know when i saw dual core's comment i took it that he was just making some small humor but now things seem to have degenerated into something else;
to the windows supporters, i didn't know you guys kept an eye on this particular thread; there was a time that there were no posts for a while so much so that it was no longer on the first page; perhaps your comments would have been taken more favorably then even if it just gave us something to talk about;
@4llerbuntu apparently people sometimes see some of your posts as offensive, you might want to stop speaking against windows (even if it's just saying how much linux is much better) in windows support threads remember at the end of the day we're still the minority
to everyone else what's the big deal anyway? i think we all agree that everyone uses whatever works best if you guys want to start a flame war you could start a flaming thread (with the moderator's approval of course) beyond that the mature thing to do when someone starts "trolling" is to ignore the comment or to act in good humor
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2010
oyb:

@bigrovar - it is sad that you pretend to be unaware of 4llerbes antics

fyi - your protege has been pissing off everyone with his frequent incursions into threads to mouth off against windows, bill gates, anti malware apps, etc.

its gotten so bad that dua core and myself incidntally, were surprised when he made a post in a thread about an activation issue that didn't attack windows.

if you want to pretend that you are unaware of this - well and good - but please stop trying to paint him as some sort of blameless saint

you should be bothered about the sort of ambassadors your OS is spawning.

you need to go through 4llerbes posts - then youb will realise those fingers are pointing at y'all.

why do you think the other more regular ubuntu users on the thread are silent on this issue? before going off on a holier than thou tanget, do some research.

the only troll here is 4llerbe - just check his post history tongue
It seems you have problems reading. go back and read my post, maybe you have issues comprehending issues seriously Where did I try to paint anyone as a saint. I was referring which posts as they relate to this thread. It is of no concern of mine what anyone does with their life. I have a job than to be following the posting habit of others. people should stop posting things which are likely to cus flame war on Ubuntu linux thread is all am saying. What ever they do outside of here is non of my business. If there is a thread you have an interest in by all means protect it , speak against anyone who tries to misbehave in such thread. What is your business with me? You want me to come and fight your fight? I mean you say I pretend like am blind to some dude's post. check my posting habits. 80% of them are in this threads occasionally I venture out to the phone sections or technology market, or if a thread interest me I might drop in to offer an opinion. But the only thread which keeps me in NL is Ubuntu Linux I dont give a hoot about any other thread. The person I was referring got the msg and he has moved on. I advise you do same if you have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:04pm On Mar 02, 2010
Nuff said.

Bigrovar n others pls look in my profile 4 my last posts and help me with that issue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DualCore1: 10:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
This one goes out to all those who have a passion for linux and reside here.

I am sorry for making the post that has led to this. I make this unreserved apology to you all and hope you accept this and get along with your way of doing things.

Bigrovar, I accept your actions as nothing personal and you are doing this in the best interest of your community. Accept my apologies.

Cheers, people.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:53am On Mar 03, 2010
chop knuckle DC. . . u be my guy anyday
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2010
which kain chop knuckle? that dude is the villain of the piece grin grin grin
just wait till i get my hands on ur servers!!! too much of the usual movies grin grin grin

DC, DC, the great lion of the ncyber jungle, husband of the fine lonely NL chicks!!! gbam!! grin grin grin

@lynxnoon

have u used ur mtn modem today? i tried to connect mtn this afternoon both in ubuntu and windows and it refused to connect, saying remote server bla bla. then i tried zain in windows and it did connect.

i was scared o, i was beginning to think the modem is cooked. u know iv been thinking about this problem, i suspect i will have to flash the modem. i suspect that it was one windows antivirus program, one USB vaccine program that did it in. the program removes the autorun feature off any usb. i put the modem in a xp box that had that program and it did something to it. i think that is the last thing i can remember between when it worked fine in ubuntu and now!

unless otherwise there is something wrong with the modem physically. hmmmn, u know what, do you know how to reset the modem or flash the firmware? pls tell me AND

could u please copy that reset program in fact all those small programs inside the folder and put them here for me, the ones in mine seem to be damaged. i tried to double click the reset one but it dont work and the icons look like how those bad windows programs look. i think they are small, just add an extension and upload here, maybe if i can get to reset it it will be back to normal. cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by texazzpete(m): 11:51am On Mar 04, 2010
4llerbuntu:

which kain chop knuckle? that dude is the villain of the piece grin grin grin
just wait till i get my hands on your servers!!! too much of the usual movies grin grin grin

DC, DC, the great lion of the ncyber jungle, husband of the fine lonely NL chicks!!! gbam!! grin grin grin

@lynxnoon

have u used your mtn modem today? i tried to connect mtn this afternoon both in ubuntu and windows and it refused to connect, saying remote server bla bla. then i tried zain in windows and it did connect.

i was scared o, i was beginning to think the modem is cooked. u know iv been thinking about this problem, i suspect i will have to flash the modem. i suspect that it was one windows antivirus program, one USB vaccine program that did it in. the program removes the autorun feature off any usb. i put the modem in a xp box that had that program and it did something to it. i think that is the last thing i can remember between when it worked fine in ubuntu and now!

unless otherwise there is something wrong with the modem physically. hmmmn, u know what, do you know how to reset the modem or flash the firmware? pls tell me AND

could u please copy that reset program in fact all those small programs inside the folder and put them here for me, the ones in mine seem to be damaged. i tried to double click the reset one but it dont work and the icons look like how those bad windows programs look. i think they are small, just add an extension and upload here, maybe if i can get to reset it it will be back to normal. cheers

Isn't the auto-run feature of the Modem just to check if the software is already installed and then prompt you for the installation if it isnt? I doubt disabling that will have any effect on your connection.

If Zain connected and MTN didn't connect, it's very possible it's an MTN network issue. It may be unrelated, but i had data outage yesterday on MTN 3G in Port Harcourt for practically the whole day, it's back now, though.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2010
^^^^^yeah so it seems and now its really slow!

just wish glo would launch their damn fibreoptic cable!!!

u kow im pretty sure sumtin is wrong with the modem or else mtn does something to them ota, becos i found that the default mtn config in it, which i cannot edit by the way, no longer connects, while if i create a profile and dial, it connects!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:11pm On Mar 04, 2010
@ lynx wassup with the files naw?

then i was on gtunnel site and it says its supported in wine now that i wanna try. fecking modem getting me irate!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 10:39am On Mar 05, 2010
Please, has anyone configured etisalat on any of the linux platform? l wold like to configure one on 9.04.
need ur replies as soon as possible.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:13am On Mar 05, 2010
yup, so long as the hardware u want to use works normally in linux and you know the settings.

iv done that with my fone countless times!!
whisper: any kinda settings goes on eti anyway, its just the dial up no that must be correct and if u want to do what i think you want to do then dont use the default

personally, i just connect the modem and choose any of mtn or zain connections and it works!

NB: where have u been since? u finally left that starcomms 1x box alone shey? grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2010
Thanks a lot, l finally left the starcomms box alone, & configured my phone using MTN. now, hoping to configure etisalat usb modem on my linux machine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:25pm On Mar 06, 2010
just like that? do eti have internet plan yet? how's the speed? what about download limits
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2010
and i did d wubi install via mounting d iso in windows! hmmn.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:38pm On Mar 06, 2010
recently had an experience which gave me cause to use the switchroot program for the glo modem but it was redhat 5 which uses 2.6.18 kernel (probably released about 2007) anyway i'm just wondering if you still need that switchroot progra for more recent releases or it was just because of the fact that that kernel was so old
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2010
i dunno o! thot dt was what the modeswitch thingy did. humm d modem has started acting up again. dis time ping gave 75 percent return. 2nd time no return. u knw wat. do you know how to disable ipv6 permanently? i noticed in ip info that ipv6 is listed as host. maybe dts d issue. d modem works and conects fine. the issue is sending and recieving packets
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:11pm On Mar 06, 2010
besides whenever i conect i noticed that the system time gets set 6hrs behind automatically. could that be d issue. i need 2 authenticate 2 set time so what has access to time daemon so freely?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 3:49pm On Mar 11, 2010
hmmmmnpf, just reading through the last 3 pages of this tread. all this back and forth bickering is taking all d fun out of the whole process. no wonder i had to go to the second page before finding us. anyway sha, since nobody else seemed to have noticed, i decided to post it. Ubuntu has decided that dey will no longer go with brown. they have "rebranded" and depending on ur taste, (i personally think they could have done much better, especially with the window buttons), you might find this new "branding" better or worse than the previous ones. for my bros that have used OSX before, you might find some kind of similarity which frankly, pisses me off slightly. anyway, check it out and lets know what y'all think 'bout it. PS: it lands in 10.04 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand#Notepad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by netotse(m): 10:49pm On Mar 11, 2010
hey guys. . .is there any ubuntu loco member in abuja? havn't seen ralvy arnd in ages

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.