Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,175 members, 7,970,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 01:07 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (484597 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:31pm On Nov 06, 2009
i see no reason why it shouldn't work on any pc unless the pc has some strange hardware specs - usually very old hardware and very new hardware
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:08pm On Nov 06, 2009
Hmmn weaver, iv seen d site n as far as i knw its a bunch of bull.
I luv d answer dt guy gave him. Wat crap, prior 2 2day av read reviews from 11 sites including from some who are anti-linux n d ey neva made mention of all dis supposed gripes!

Cmon dis chap is making out koala 2 be worse than 8.4! U mean u belive ubuntu culd regress dt much! Haba!
Agreed upgrades via synaptic av always bin an issue bt really! Dis is d first time in am hearing of ?thousands Haba. Av bin trawlin forums n dis is so not true. Even d beta was not reporting dis bad! N dis guy did not factor in d fact dt a lot of dis so-callf issues r minor, gotten by newbies who knw next to nothing bt eager to try it n d odd esoteric hardware!

Ubuntu has come a long way dt it cant be dt bad! N u notice dt its always d winblows hardies who r just lookin 2 complain.
Take a stat from dis site abt windows issues n u get my drift. Will i now open a blog n say bec of dt o windows is so bad? Which truly it is!

Im free diswknd. Lets see if i can get enuf mileage outta my internet 2 download it. Am sure there is no issues.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:06am On Nov 07, 2009
well remember 8.04 is actually LTS (long term support) that means that 8.04 might still have support by the time they
are telling you to upgrade 9.10. At least i happen to know that 8.04's support extends beyond 9.04's but i think u're
right; i had already pasted the link before i started lookin at peoples' comments (which is why i made the next)
but for me sha, on version is enough for a year; i never even use 9.04 finish; i still get 8.04 for my pc sef so i'm
waiting for 10.x (which they will hopefully mail to me, i like getting the original cd)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:19am On Nov 07, 2009
my posts are not showing again oooo!!!! take dis guy in the forum, he complains that bhe upgraded to karmic and now his pc crashes, then he downgraded back to jaunty and the thing still crashes!! how is that possible, the dude has problems with his hardware. he just found out! unless of course he is claiming that karmic spoiled his hardware.

the only confirmed bug yet is issues with ATI graphics, in 9.04 it was NVIDIA yet that wasnt a failure. the thing is its early days tet, in like a month, updates and workrounds will solve most issues. the only 1 i dont like is the reports about kernel regressions, that is a no-no
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:33am On Nov 07, 2009
i just guess a lot of the issues are from upgrades and pple with bad cd burns!!

and too many new things at once, grub2, dmraid, new video drivers e.t.c

hmmmn temporary verdict is try it live, if it works feel free, if not give it a month.

av seen two guys now claiming it damaged their hardware, i mean, haba! EVEN AFTER A FORMAT AND CLEAN INSTALL BACK TO 9.04!!! well we shall be monitoring this closely
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:30pm On Nov 08, 2009
grub2? dis ubuntu pple get too much wahala o; are they customizin Xorg drivers on their own?
so 4llerbe i guess that means u plan 2 wait a bit right? and i thought u wld try it out and give us a walkthru
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:20pm On Nov 08, 2009
hey there u are! well yes naw grub2! and its not ubuntu pple that are doing it o, its whoever is responsible for grub. but that grub2 has been tested extensively and most distros are adopting it in next releases so i dont think its the cause.

and a part of the problem has been traced, its from gnome project folks! even mandriva 12 has all the same complaints, identical complaints!

hooray! well its not as if the issue is critical like that o! but i fink a lot of pple are having issues with upgrades of gnome!

i am going to try it naw! as soon as i get to complete my download. zain has gone kaput on my head oooo! hw im regretting not sticking to glo! the download sloooowwwwww!
abi u have it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:23am On Nov 09, 2009
well i'll still wait till version 10, by then gnome will be more stable; i didn't like kde 4.x either at first
but i don't seem to have a choice anymore either; will look up on grub2 and see the benefits
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:42am On Nov 09, 2009
wow i've started to look at some of the features of grub2 and i think i like them; now  to look for some lightweight linux diistro that comes with it
i got some info from this link: http://www.workswithu.com/2009/07/29/ubuntu-910-preview-grub-2/
however for those of not in the mood to check external links i will try to highlight some of the extra features:
scripting including support for variables, conditional statements and functions, Rescue mode, graphical boot and my favorite ability to boot from isos
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:56am On Nov 09, 2009
hi guys!. its been a while since i've commented on this forum. i've bee kinda off d grid. but i'm back at east for now. as for karmic, i am downloading it as i type and will be sure to let you guys know how it plays out.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:33pm On Nov 09, 2009
as for me am sticking to Jaunty for now wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by MisterOsi(m): 3:25am On Nov 10, 2009
Is Ubuntu really that good? I've head some rumors saying yes but I still want to here more praises for it before I make up my mind on installing it on my back-up computer. But for now I' sticking with Windows 7 smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:12am On Nov 10, 2009
@mr. osi
y dnt u get a live cd n run it in windows. . . . dat way u can decide weda its worth it. . . . . . but it definitely is wink grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:08am On Nov 10, 2009
@osi
Like Lynx has said, you don't have to remove your windows 7 to use ubuntu, no one is asking you to do that
in fact you can install it from inside windows and try it out
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:45am On Nov 11, 2009
i finally pulled the thing but it will have to wat till the wknd. im too sleepy. i put it in the system and fell asleep somewhere in the middle of when it was loading up and my pc still hasnt blown up!!!! surprise surprise. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 the eye candy in the new boot sequence try sha, gnome don dey fine wel wel ooooo!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:54am On Nov 11, 2009
with wat i read wen karmic is stable it wil def be a whole new experience. . . . .i jst hope dey've really inproved d network namager esp mobilebroadband
anyw sha stil SERIOSLY enjoying ma JAUNTY(enuf downloads dis nite/morn wink grin)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2009
abeg the thingy is stable jare.

ok first impressions. av not had the opportunity to test the thingy but my 10 mins with it, first impressions.

eye candy- they are finally attempting to compete with KDE, mark my words ATTEMPTING! but really the interface is a lot finer, the start up thingy ma bob is finer, smoother, the new themes, though i do not just see how for anybody ORANGE AND CHOCOLATE IS A COMBINATION! as in reallyyyyy!!!!!!
well a few clicks of the mouse and its looking better in blue grin grin grin grin

FAR BETTER MOUNTING OF DRIVES, yes o, this one is far better!

FASTER THAN JAUNTY. yup it is faster than jaunty, starting up and performance!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

the new software center, great in my opinion, but i think linux mint outta get credit. that was a knock off off the idea in mint.

new apps, it now comes with GParted gui in the os, and it also has a new utility for disk management, gui! and can handle any fomart on earth and the moon.

better reporting of errors and crashes. it diagnosed my hard drive sharp sharp, the same hard drive i run jaunty on o! too bad am looking at a new one soon apparently.

generally, take it from me, on my pc this thing worked flawlessly, maybe when i start to stretch it, it will start complaining. but from here its cool.

u kn dis was meant to be and is a great improvement on jaunty. and canonical is hell bent on going the gui way for ease of use. very soon pple like weaver will be hating the system becos they cant "sudo bla bla" anymore grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

but u cannot fault them, in a world occupied by winblows, a competing os has to usable by illiterates! at least to point and click.

u know if canonical had just about chosen not to be so bleeding edge and waited for other pple to test run all the new thingys like grub 2 and gnome , we would be celebrating the best distro ever released. conservatism has its uses u knw!

anyway, good news is major patches and upgrades are close to being put in the channels for all the complaints, apparently a lot of angry distro makers have been calling up the gnome project folks e.t.c and they promise repairs soon. as soon as in two weeks or less!

the way the thing is, if u neva had any major issues with jaunty on ur pc, ur very likely in the clear, a lot of pple are coming out to report all clear!

somebody pls tell all the noobs to stop whining in the forums, i had one fool complaining y he doesnt like it is cos his video card did not work by default and thus the thing was a failure. this an NVIDIA card that he need drivers for o! click and download!!!!

bottomline, this versions MINT will be the BOMB! by then we p
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 2:12pm On Nov 11, 2009
hmmm. . . . .c analysis!!!
Wanted 2 wait 4 abt a month + plus but dis really tempting
Alredy dwnld an iso. file of 9.10 last nite/early morn
My question nw is can i upgrade frm a CD insted of d normal upgrade path tru d net? Kinda scared 2 try dat nw tho all my previous upgrade went witout a glitch
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
EHN? U NO DEY HEAR WETIN WE DEY TALK SINCE? DO NOT UPGRADE VIA NET OOOOO!!!!!!!!! HA!
it will not upgrade grub and a couple of things anyway and most complaints are from upgrades online, i think the mish mash of stuff is causing issues.

u can upgrade from the alternate cd and not the live cd.

u knw wat try it live and try out all ur hardware, as in really try to stress it, do kooky stuff, like connect online, inject a module, try the apps, it will be slow but just to see, if it works i dunno, maybe u have a spare partition, or u have a seperate home folder, cos in case u knw u gonna have to format ur os to downgrade properly in case of yawa.

but then as iv said, if u didnt hav issues b4, it most likely willbe flawless. then did i add that u can now syncronise the time online? really missed that with all my experiments with apps, i often hav to change the time or zone so getting the right thing back used to be a pain, esp for tor
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2009
YE!! MO GBE OH!! i dnt even knw where to begin. . . . al i knw is 9.10 has messed up my pc!!
runnin d live cd went smoothly but upgrading frm d alternate cd was altimate doom
batry low wil cont ltr
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
Humph, wat happened? Did it freeze? I op u hav a seperate home partition. Hw come oooo! Keep us posted real time
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:51pm On Nov 13, 2009
oooooopppppppsssssssssssss! my bad, absolutely my bad! did i mention that before attempting any upgrade u need to complete all updates in update mgr? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

am so very sorry, BUT YOU NEED TO UPDATE EVRYTHING B4 TRYING TO UPGRADE ESPECIALLY GRUB.

u have to upgrade grub to grub2 else ur install will break!! and the cd wont do the update, neither the online upgrade, that is the cause oof 90% of the upgrade issues. but grub2 is in the repos!

@lynx were u doing a background upgrade or u went completely into cmd line? if you manage to boot that install, try updating b4 trying that upgrade again o!

am so sorry! skipped my mind
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:49am On Nov 14, 2009
no i did an upgrade of 9.04 b4 using d alternate cd. . . . .
at fist everytinwent smoothly but i cudnt open d software centre n den on restarting i cudnt log in wit d 1st kernel( i tink 30.14 or somtin) den on loggin in wit d 2nd kernel( 28.14 or so. . .) i cudnt use d touchpad, a lot of tins were just not goin tru sad sad
i may hv to find a way of removing it den reinstalling
pls guys if u knw a way out or hw i can remove it den reinstall will be very grateful
i''ll try to put some shots i took wen i was abe to log in

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:13pm On Nov 14, 2009
hmmnn, i dont understand, did u update or upgrade 9.04? can u boot into 9.10? if u can it would seem u have a mish mash, if u can boot up, try using terminal to do updates. check what version of grub u have, that should take care of the kernel ish. u need to be on grub2

if u can also boot in, i suggest u backup immediately.

all those things that wont work should be solved by updates, there is already a no of updates for 9.10
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:25pm On Nov 14, 2009
and why not try what those notices tell u to do, the first 1 says u have obsolete packages, so update them the normal terminal way

for xorg, use gedit to view the xorg.conf file naw and see if u can set the variable to true.
xorg.conf is in /etc/x11/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:40pm On Nov 14, 2009
and the other file too. the x86, there should be a section for input devices like mice, u need to change the variable to true, then run terminal sudo apt-get updates, install evry update in sight and restart, we take it from there.

do not panic, ur system is alive, its having issues because there is a mix of old and new system files. whoever did the upgrade part of ubuntu is a very drunk fool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:00pm On Nov 14, 2009
ok i wont panic. . . . . i knw deres always a way out wil try d updates tru terminal
. . . . currently on vista
wil let u knw how far. . . . tnx all d same
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 14, 2009
viva easybcd 2.0 beta

am currently triple booting 7, xp and linux on my old pc

since it's worked flawlessly,

will do same on new pc

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.