Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,847 members, 7,969,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 09:47 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (484466 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:24am On Oct 06, 2009
AHA!! u guy wan kill dis thread or wat? angry grin
anyways . . .recently got me 3G usb stik( ZTE MF626) n found out it doesnt work out of d box . . . requires usbswitch mode
afta enuf googling n research i was able to use it on mint wink grin[i](so happy wit ma self grin grin)[/i]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 11:02am On Oct 06, 2009
Tried a nokia stik maself n didnt work. Neva got round 2 trying 2 make it do wat it does. See naw dt my pestering has its uses! Lol!

Actualy bin occupied wit a domestic emergency bt d worst is over so maybe i will hav time 4 d thread now.

Bt lynx we go sanction u o! Dnt just celebrate dis things, share d know how! Inspire others. Maybe if i knw i can make it work i will get a stik
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2009
@4llerbe
Hmmm Nokia stik? Men hv bin lookn 4 dat stuf 4 quite awile nw, is it C12 or C15? cos i knw C15 is cmpartible wit linux
Wel as per my stik d prob was because it has a memory card slot deres no auto switch 2 modem mode n nt cmptblty issue cos afta switchn its recognised by d gud 'ol NM. . .
Rite nw am on fone wen iam on pc wil SURELY post a link on hw i did it
Cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:38pm On Oct 07, 2009
Ok guys heres a link wit steps on how to do d usb switch
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1147685
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:06am On Oct 08, 2009
thanks bruv. this thingy na real soiling o. am not at all encouraged. so if i get another model na anor entirely new parol be dat?

i think what we should be doing now is to either on this thread or on a new one. list hardware that is supported by ubuntu out of the box, and those that require tweaking. you say c15 is plug and play?

its the auto recognition part that gets to me, and as am not looking for that particular modem, yawa dey. hmmmn my fone and me's romance just dey start. but then if there is no switch how does the thing work in windows? it comes with software shey?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 2:03am On Oct 10, 2009
guyz pls i need help
i formated my windows partition i cant access my ubuntu again pls help.

opera 10 is the bomb it tunnels through there proxy SEVER when ever there's a slow network
and if u dont know about APTONCD IN UBUNTU SHOOT UR SELF.
CHECK IT OUT FROM SYNAPTIC FMAN

PLS I REPLY
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 4:07am On Oct 10, 2009
after formatting did u reinstall windows again?
anyway you need to repair grub. thats your bootloader.

This will restore grub if you already had grub installed but lost it to a windows install or some other occurence that erased/changed your MBR so that grub no longer appears at start up or it returns an error.
Boot into the live Ubuntu cd. This can be the live installer cd or the older live session Ubuntu cds.
go into terminal

sudo grub

This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub shell). At grub>. enter these commands

find /boot/grub/stage1

This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the installation that you want to provide the grub files.
Next, THIS IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3 commands)

root (hd?,?)

Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)

Next enter the command to install grub to the mbr

setup (hd0)

Finally exit the grub shell

quit

That is it. Grub will be installed to the mbr.
When you reboot, you will have the grub menu at startup.

When you get to the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the commands and then I will explain them later)

meanwhile where weaver and the fire squad. pls i dont understand how come i have a proxy set in terminal. i have not been able to sudo apt get for ke weeks now. i can install thru synaptic but i always have to set the network proxy. and i have checked gconf and there is nothing in the file. i heard its i bug but there has to be a way to either remove or set the proxy for terminal. urgent problem o pls.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 4:28am On Oct 10, 2009
dont get me wrong o, /etc/apt/apt.conf; /etc/bash.rc; /etc/enviroment all DO NOT HAVE PROXIES IN THEM, OR RATHER I HAVE REMOVED WHAT I FOUND IN THEM YET THIS THING IS TRYING TO GO THROUGH A PROXY. MY TERMINAL IS PRESENTLY USELESS. HELP
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 10:56pm On Oct 10, 2009
@4llerbe thanks man it worked but i have not been able access windows
pls help anybody.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:06am On Oct 11, 2009
in ubuntu, type this command: sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

in the file that file opens scroll down till you see : "###END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"'
then press enter twice to leave a line between then type the following:

title Windows
fallback 1
find --set-root /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr
savedefault

One other thing, look for a nline that contains the word "timeout" and make sure the value displayed is greater than 0; any number from 15 - 20 is a safe value
Save your file and on restart you dhould see a menu where you can select either ubuntu or windows
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:02am On Oct 11, 2009
@ weaver ? ? ? ? My issue, any ideas or solutions?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:52pm On Oct 11, 2009
@4llerbe don't you use your phone as a modem? or what do u use again?
how do you know you are (or seem to be using) a proxy?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:28pm On Oct 11, 2009
: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages 504 Connect to archive.ubuntu.com:80 failed: Connection refused [IP: 127.0.0.1 8123]

SIGH!! the above is one of the lines in terminal for sudo apt-get update. actually the proxy was a different one before but out of annoyance i decided to enter this particular one in all the earlier mentioned files, after deleting the proxy it STILL appears. in fact after putting in this one it did not show at first, was still showing the old one. i dunno when this one got there sef, i just wanted to give u an example of terminal output only to see this new one.

i still use a fone with my ubuntu install, BUT I DO NOT USE A PROXY FOR MY INTERNET, AT LEAST NOT FOR THE SYSTEM. u do not have to be behind the wap proxies these days besides i use zain internet and it does not use a user-end proxy.

hell of a bug if u ask me. actually i just want to know which file exactly is the right one to edit to remove the proxy and after removing it, is there something else i have to do cos it still shows the proxy in terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:45pm On Oct 11, 2009
what's your output when you type ifconfig
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:25pm On Oct 11, 2009
@cwolf
i didn't know you had this entry already:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Win 2000/Windows XP (loader)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

so are you saying it doesn't work?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 12:21am On Oct 12, 2009
Cwolf probly just needs 2 increase d timeout value.

I think av had enuf n goin 2 bed, i was browsing n d thing was doing k leg so i hibernated. L8r i put on d Pc n find dt my wallpaper aint displayin n all was somehw. I restarted n am seeing dt d pc has gone back 2 'factory settings' !!
My installed progs r dere but EVERY SINGLE 1 OF MY PERSONAL FILES, DOCS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, APPS ARE ALL GONE N HARDDRIVE IS SHOWING CORRESPONDING INCREASE!

I think am just dreaming so when i wake 2mrw they will appear back. Jeez! Catastrophe.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 3:17am On Oct 12, 2009
@blackweaver YES WHEN I TRY TO LOAD WINDOWS FROM THE GRUB MENU LIST
I GET THIS ERRO MESSAGE> Erro 11: unrecognized device string

HELP ANYBODY? AND THANKK U GUYZ.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:30am On Oct 13, 2009
Well after removing everything dt looked like proxies in /apt.conf
, enviroment, it actually a matter of running 'unset http_proxy'
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:42am On Oct 13, 2009
C.wolf, look through d menu.lst again. Look for a line that has map (hd0)(hd1)

Or wateva d hd nos are, put a space between d hd's. Now try again. If u get ntldr error u have 2 reinstall windows!

Get back wit d result u got from d first tip
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:43am On Oct 13, 2009

Or wateva d hd nos are, put a space between d hd's. Now try again. If u get ntldr error u have 2 reinstall windows!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:01am On Oct 13, 2009
D hd shld be in individual brackets that is

map (hd0) (hd1)

That shld work, if not look at d rootnoverify line, change to (1,0) from (0,0)
D chainloader line to chainloader +1
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:47am On Oct 13, 2009
pls does any1 know anyrin about UMTSMON( an app dat monitors 3G modem data usage, network signal etc)? n hw i can integrate it wit my modem?
i dwnloaded it n installin it tru terminal is headache . . . .dunno if its because i need to hv QT3/QT4 apps on d pc or smtin? undecided
tnx for ur response
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:20pm On Oct 13, 2009
Hmmn well lynx extract d file open it and read d readme and install files! D key is usually there though i suspect u probably need 2 get cmake and checkinstall. Usually d prob when compiling is a pain. They inna synaptic.

But then d web page u got it from shld state if there are dependencies. N.b. Funny u mention qt, i was tryin 2 get qt4 dis morning and d page was missing frm nokia webpage. 3 shld already be installed anyway, it gets installed when setting up ur install/ its in synaptic too.

READ D README/INSTALL!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2009
@4llerbe
i dont think you need to go to nokia site to download qt just install an application that has qt as its dependencies like vlc or any kde application the qt should be installed and any application should be able to access it thereafter.

@All
If you need to repair your bootloader just search for and download supergrub its a 4mb application just burn it to a cd and boot from it and voila it will repair ur bootloader
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:01pm On Oct 13, 2009
@cwolf
you know that reply i made where i said to use:

title Windows
fallback 1
find --set-root /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr
savedefault

change to:

title Windows
fallback 1
find --set-root /Windows/system32/winload.exe
chainloader /Windows/system32/winload.exe
savedefault

and try again, maybe it might work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 11:43pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ esquire, yes i know, i have it already but it was version 3, wanted to get 4, got it sha, looking around.
all these stems from installing from source, hey wat can a man do? i want an app and its not in synaptic, neither in a repository. i pull the source files and do my thing.

ASIDE: pls who knows wats up with wine, iv got it installed and i want to play my footie mgr wit it, which it does run but its slow and choppy. the fm works on the same machine perfectly in windows. so wats going on, its like that? then how can i get dlls for it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:20pm On Oct 14, 2009
somebody help me with this one abeg. my apps are giving me error cannot bind to ports, 8080, 9050 etc. pls how do i find what is using these ports and free them
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:01pm On Oct 14, 2009
4llerbe by now you are familiar with how these things work; when do you get this error message? which application or is it all applications etc
i.e. your request is too vague

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.