Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,148 members, 7,939,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (480357 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:12am On Sep 13, 2009
sorry 4 the delay, was actually working in windows and had to restart my pc
anyway,
type sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

you should see eomething like this:

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = #777
ISDN = 0
Username = 7028977699@starcomms.com
Init1 = ATZ
Password = 7028977699
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 230400

phone number is the nuber you dial to the isp usually
#777, your username is the username you use to connect;
on starcomm the username is <your phone no>@starcomms.com
and the password is <your phone no>
modem will be /dev/ttyUSB0 (like what was shown in the result of your
dmesg | tail)
baud usually doesn't matter though i recommend that it be between 57600
and 460800 but usuallly it shouldn't matter.

save your file and exit.

now you have one more step to take
type sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

this is a sample of what i have in mine:

nameserver 196.3.60.5
nameserver 196.3.60.7

now this is why i said you should type ipconfig /all in windows
if you did you should have at least one line for dns servers.
basically you enter your dns servers in this file
i.e. nameserver <dns server>
one line for each.

save file and exit.
now type sudo wvdial

(ps ordinarily you shouldn't have to use the sudo command but
i;ve noticed that some linux distros won't allow the user to use wvdial)

after this you should connect.
you know you are connected when you have a message like:

--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 41.219.200.185
--> remote IP address 10.5.1.3
--> primary DNS address 196.3.60.5
--> secondary DNS address 196.3.60.7

if you still have any problems paste the output of
"sudo tail /var/log/messages"

ps you don't have to attach you messages as an image, just copy and paste the text
the gnome terminal will allow you to do that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jediknight(m): 12:40am On Sep 13, 2009
blackweaver:

@jediknight from your messages i see that your device has been detected
(generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0)
maybe i can help you with your wvdial config; what network are you on?
if it's starcomms then we don't have a problem (since i use starcomms myself
i can tell you what exactly to do) if not you will have to give me some information
while using the modem in windows; (i take it your modem is working in windows
right?)
anyway from windows while you are connected go to the command prompt and
type ipconfig /all and paste the output (the part that has the ppp connection)
also i will need to know the phone number or better still if you think you can handle it
yourself this is what you have to do:

type sudo wvdialconfig in your terminal window

, to be continued

@Blackweaver,

Thanks for your replies and continuous help.

The sudowvdialconfig doesnt work, bash returns not recognised command or smthn.

attached are some screenshots. I fooled around on my own the wvdail kinda tried to work but got an error from the modem.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:50am On Sep 13, 2009
If anything i cant never turn my back on someone in need when i have the means to help.

@jediknight
I noticed from your screenshot your /etc/wvdial.conf is not as it should be ,  wvdial seem to run fine but some mistakes in your entries
username and password values should be without the <> hence that part should be

username = username@visafone.com.ng
password = yourpasswd
and not 
username = <username@visafone.com.ng>
password = <yourpasswd>

Plus i get the modem is not responding thing sometimes, what u should do is remove the modem, wait a few secs (like 30s or less) then plug it back and rerun wvdial.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:52am On Sep 13, 2009
Hmmn, look who's back!!!
Anyway dis place was becoming way boring.
Pls wat media player can i get dt will make sense small, rythmbox not doin it 4 me. Rippin cds is crap. N was neva a fan of itunes so clones dont get off clones. Realplayer dnt count, not really freeware.

Plus was wondering wat 1 culd get off d cd dt aint on d system yet, or on anor flavor lyk kubuntu livecd?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jediknight(m): 9:06am On Sep 13, 2009
@Bigrovar,

Thanks, would try it out and let u know if it worked.

Bless
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:30pm On Sep 13, 2009
4llerbe:

Hmmn, look who's back!!!
Anyway dis place was becoming way boring.
Pls wat media player can i get dt will make sense small, rythmbox not doin it 4 me. Rippin cds is crap. N was neva a fan of itunes so clones dont get off clones. Realplayer dnt count, not really freeware.

Plus was wondering wat 1 culd get off d cd dt aint on d system yet, or on anor flavor lyk kubuntu livecd?
They are quite a number of cool media player for linux ,  like a billion of them if u ask me ,  depends on what u want from a media player,

here are some of the popular once which can be installed from synaptic or add and remove

Banshee

Banshee is a great project with alot of momentum its written in mono (mono is a lang based on c#) and it looks really cool. most people prefer it to rhythmbox, it also has a plugin system which allows u to extend its powers. u can also install it from synaptic
Banshee is gtk based so it looks and is very integrated with gnome desktop

amarok

My amarok on kde 4.3

I use amarok (mainly because am on kde now)
amarok use to be the most feature filled music player in the world. it could do pratically anything as far as music management is concerned. but recently the devs felt the code base was becoming too huge and difficult to maintain so they decided to do a complete rewrite which resulted in amarok 2.x branch. although the 2.x branch is doing very well and am liking it alot, it is still not as feature complete as the 1.x series but its moving along nicely, you can install amarok too from synaptic ,  although its a QT based which means it is might look out of place in gnome ,  (qt is the toolkit for kde)

there is also songbird which is a mozilla project it uses the same gecko engine which firefox uses although songbird is an awesome music player and definitely has its own fans ,  its a blantant ripoff of the itunes interface so i guess u may not like it you can download songbird from here http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird

They is also Exaile which is written in python, the goal of exaile is to create a gtk version of amarok. or something close. it recently got a major face lift and u can install the latest version by following the instructions here http://www.exaile.org/downloads

here are some of the more popular music players for linux there are hundreds if  not thousands more but u can also google for more ,

i once wrote a guide about Multimedia Tools for Linux perhaps u want to take a look maybe you will find something useful

http://bigbrovar./2008/12/17/multimedia-codecs-and-tools-for-ubuntu/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2009
BIIIGROOOVAAAR welcome back, it's nice to have you around again

@4llerbe, if you like the old winamp (version 2.x) you can use xmms too
and it even uses the winamp2 skins (if you are into that kind of stuff), no
media library though nor cd ripping. Like 4llerbe said, amarok - definitely my favorite media
player on linux, i also like songbird - though installing it is not as straightforward
as other media players - there is no distribution specific installer for
songbird (correct me if i'm wrong Bigrovar). There's also audacious
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2009

media library though nor cd ripping. Like 4llerbe said, amarok - definitely my favorite media
player on linux, i also like songbird - though installing it is not as straightforward

@jediknight sorry, i didn't know you would take the brackets literally
i sometimes get modem not responding but it doesn't matter, it will still
try to dial and if your config is correct it will still work

and apparently the command was "sudo wvdialconf" not "sudo wvdialconfig"
but it doesn't matter, the whole point of that command was to generate a default
/etc/wvdial.conf file
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:31pm On Sep 13, 2009
blackweaver:

@jediknight sorry, i didn't know you would take the brackets literally
i sometimes get modem not responding but it doesn't matter, it will still
try to dial and if your config is correct it will still work

and apparently the command was "sudo wvdialconf" not "sudo wvdialconfig"
but it doesn't matter, the whole point of that command was to generate a default
/etc/wvdial.conf file

The above is blackweaver's post which was trapped in the system which was appearantly put in place to combat spam in Nairaland. it was because of things like this that made me quit in the first place sad to see that nothing has been done to correct this sad as often most things like this are only good at catching the innocent
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2009
blackweaver has been trying to say something but his comment is trapped in the anti spam system. you might want to view is profile and past comment to view is comment ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:03am On Sep 14, 2009
dey finally released my ID angry grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:13am On Sep 14, 2009
CONGRATULOBIA!!!!!!!!!!! heheheheeh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

na wetin u and nland admins dey drag sef? u collect dem babes? grin grin grin grin

hw far when are u gonna pop the mint in the mail for me naw? im eagerly anticipating.

@ all, my issue with the players is i wanna rip cds and dey are just not there as per ripping. rythmboxmakes u rip the whole cd everytime and the speed is (sigh) lets just say can do beta.

if u knw any 1 u have used that rips cds in a normal u knw everyday way pls tell me, i dont want to waste my time installing what i wont use moreova removing those apps at times dey get k leg.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:04am On Sep 14, 2009
SORRY O I NO SABI BOOK O, WHAT IS THIS ONE O! the last time i installed a .bin file i just dragged it into terminal, this time even with sudo na wetin i see.

actually let me confess its past two in the morning and my brain isnt all that right now so pls when u read this just humor me and tell me wat to do

Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 9:10am On Sep 14, 2009
Hello, Guys
I need your help, i installed ubuntu on a laptop with windows Vista, On booting it will display(after the Ubuntu and Ubuntu recovery option) double Windows Vista Option.
I normally boot into my windows environment from the first option, but yesterday i mistakenly selected the second option which is vista recovery and since then the laptop no longer show me the boot option. It nows boots striaght into the recovery option of the Vista with giving me option of booting into Ubuntu or the normal Windows Vista.
The Boot option just vanished
Pls I need your help, What do i do, ? I have tried booting the system in safe mood but still after restart it goes back to same recovery screen.
Expecting replies,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:18am On Sep 14, 2009
@ all, my issue with the players is i wanna rip cds and dey are just not there as per ripping. rythmboxmakes u rip the whole cd everytime and the speed is (sigh) lets just say can do beta.

if u knw any 1 u have used that rips cds in a normal u knw everyday way pls tell me, i dont want to waste my time installing what i wont use moreova removing those apps at times dey get k leg.
You have to understand the unix philosophy to programing applications which is an application which does one thing and does it well. This is the true unix tradition hence a music player does nothing but plays music and general music management. it wont make girls like you or fetch water for u. if you want a cd ripper then try sound-juice.
plus you should always use your add and remove program when you are looking for something , believe me it really useful and more powerful than you think, so please use it first before bringing your problem here it would save us a lot of time

concerning the .bin file , while i would advise that realplayer for linux sucks VLC is a much better app plus u can grab a realplayer deb file from here  http://www.real.com/linux for future cases to install a .bin file you dont need to do it via terminal just right blick the file and go to properties then select "allow execution" (or something like that) then you can double click the file and it should run , remember next time google is your friend
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:27am On Sep 14, 2009
This place is hopeless really hopeless i just wrote a lenghty guide for someone and it just dissappeared , its sad to see that the same reason why i left in the first place has not been addressed , this is just not acceptable , and i have had enough of this shit , this is no way to manage a forum, this is share incompetence its just sad , WTF, am done with this shit, for those who need help join the ubuntu nigeria mailing list http://groups.google.co.uk/group/ubuntunigeria or better still join here www.ubuntuforums.org

am out for good
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 9:39am On Sep 14, 2009
bigrovar:

i just wrote a lenghty guide for someone and it just dissappeared , its sad to see that the same reason why i left in the first place has not been addressed , this is just not acceptable ,

am out for good
Bigbrovar, Pls if the guide can u send it to danexd@hotmail.com
I will really appreciate it meanwhile am joining the other forums you suggested
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon2: 10:19am On Sep 14, 2009
@4llerbe
no vex jare bin a lil busy n dis NL mods no dey help at all wit dis incessant bannin n stuf sad lipsrsealed undecided
wil send it ASAP wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2009
danexd:

Hello, Guys
I need your help, i installed ubuntu on a laptop with windows Vista, On booting it will display(after the Ubuntu and Ubuntu recovery option) double Windows Vista Option.
I normally boot into my windows environment from the first option, but yesterday i mistakenly selected the second option which is vista recovery and since then the laptop no longer show me the boot option. It nows boots striaght into the recovery option of the Vista with giving me option of booting into Ubuntu or the normal Windows Vista.
Pls I need your help, What do i do, ? I have tried booting the system in safe mood but still after restart it goes back to same recovery screen.
Expecting replies,

Guys Pls am yet to solve the problem, Need your help Pls Pls Pls!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:17pm On Sep 14, 2009
@danex is your ubuntu installed inside windows or is it installed in its
own partition?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2009
blackweaver:

@danex is your ubuntu installed inside windows or is it installed in its
own partition?
it is installed in its own partition, logical partition,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 6:43pm On Sep 14, 2009
The system came pre-installed with windows vista, and 3 partition. I had to shrink the drive c and created a partition in other to install Ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2009
danexd:

Guys Pls am yet to solve the problem, Need your help Pls Pls Pls!
danexd:

Hello, Guys
Expecting replies,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2009
Some Body should help me pls pls pls, Where is Everybody sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 10:42pm On Sep 14, 2009
@ brova sori bt am d official ubuntu thread pest so humor me bsides i knw bt sumtimes i still ask n often times i solve d issues myself simply cos i ask stupid questions which lead me 2 smart ans.

Isnt d music d player gonna play hav 2 git on d pc 1st?

Real dotcom offers 2 files, rpm n bin by d way!?!

Abeg, my 2penny worth, danexd y not repair grub? Or repair vista bootloader cos vista dnt like grub? My 2 cents of meaningless ideas sha o.

As dey say google it.

But 2 tink of it ehn i ask abt apps cos quite often dey is not inna repo @ least d 1 on ma pc so 2 save time n not hav 2 add useless repos i ask frm longtime users. so wat bad, no 1 tells me dnt waste ma thyme on ubuntu forums!

Abeg!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jediknight(m): 11:46pm On Sep 14, 2009
@blackweaver and bigrovar,

thanks, i have amended the settings and all, it still didnt work, i guess i'll have to stick to windows for a while or better still get another modem thats compatible.

Bless
Re: Ubuntu Linux by danexd(m): 12:34am On Sep 15, 2009
4llerbe:

Abeg, my 2penny worth, danexd y not repair grub? Or repair vista bootloader cos vista dnt like grub? My 2 cents of meaningless ideas sha o.
As dey say google it.

Thanks Have sorted out the problem, had to repair grub(didn't know what it mean be4 now) googled it and got something like this and it worked though after much errors at first

with the Live CD Ubuntu

sudo grub

grub>

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 Displayed (hd0,4)

grub> root (hd0,4)

grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
am back
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:04am On Sep 15, 2009
thats great to hear, truly i would have told u this since u first raised the issue but did not want the '''he is a noob wat does he knw looking down his nose because he asks silly questions''''' thingy.

but what is surprising is ur telling me that grub enables u boot vista sucessfully?? see what id heard from the gurus is that to dualboot vista and ubuntu u need to use the vista bootloader

anyways now i knw beta and will shoot right from the hip anytime i see any issue {whisper- after consulting google sha o!!!} loooooolllllll grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:48am On Sep 15, 2009
lol
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 5:22am On Sep 16, 2009
Bigbrovar, good to have you back wink I just installed KDE and was looking at hooking up to get some dumps. I presume you're still in abj?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 6:13am On Sep 16, 2009
Actually he is gone with the wind AGAIN!!!!! xoxo

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.