Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,783 members, 7,975,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 04:10 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (485360 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:58pm On Sep 03, 2009
technically yes if you're installing jdk you're supposed to install as an Ubuntu package.
however all is not lost, the only thing is that you'll probably have to manually
do some things that would have been automated by the installer.

first of all move the java folder to another folder (like /usr/local or /usr/share or /opt)
you know the command: "sudo mv <java folder> <destination >"

what i did was that after that i made a soft link of the usual programs
(java, javac) to my /usr/bin older
i.e "sudo ln -fs /<destination folder>/<java folder>/bin/java /usr/bin/java"
and "sudo ln -fs /<destination folder>/<java folder>/bin/javac /usr/bin/javac"

this way you can at least run java programs from command line and also
compile

another way is to add the /<destination folder>/<java folder>/bin to
the path; unfortunately i'm not on ubuntu right now so i can't tell you how
(it varies with flavours of liunx)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 11:54pm On Sep 03, 2009
well i did the move part into usr/local
from that point onwards the rest looks like jargon to me. thanks for your help o, i really appreciate it but can u pls make it clearer, or just tell me how to point and click and drag. i could have just dragged the folder into the other one too. anyhw sha anyway u can help me.

how come the .jar programs icons have not changed into the java icon, that i tink would be the clearest indicator that the java is active now.

i think i get your drift a little, to create shortcuts to those java applications somewhere abi? but those apps are not registered with java yet!

IN SHORT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, AM VERY CONFUSED embarassed embarassed undecided undecided cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 4:06am On Sep 04, 2009
'ey, installed ubuntu a few hours ago and I've been modding tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:11am On Sep 04, 2009
@4llerbe unfortunately because of the way you installedd java i dont think a point
and click will work.

ok  you have your jdk folder in /usr/local; so your java path is something like
/usr/local/jdk
mine is jdk1.5.0_16 so mine path would be something like
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_16
now in your console type:
"sudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc"
your editor should come up. now add this line:
"PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/jdk/bin" (without quotes)

in mine this would be: PATH=$PATH:/local/jdk1.5.0_16/bin
after this open a terminal window and type
"env | grep PATH"

you should see a list of paths separated by semicolons, including your java path

to change how to open java file type right-click on the java file, select properties
go to the open with tab, click on add, you can click on
use custom command and type the command.

howeveri must let you know that sometimes you MUST type the command in command line
to install some files because you may have to pass some arguments

i hope this helps
have to go now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:10am On Sep 04, 2009
Err what cmd is dt? Lol. What a mess. Am absolutely laughing at myself.

Then can some1 pls post d script or shld i say cmd for using ./configure make sudo make install.
Av got some .tar.gz files n after extracting and doing cd to the directorv all my attempts at makin d file av been futile. Usual error are make file not found, directory not existing etc.

Just assume d path is to desktop 4 say open vpn2.1 and post d cmds i can just copy and paste in terminal.

Again i found a deb of vlc player n downlded it, i tried 2 install and it installed with no dependency issues, its right there now under synaptic as an installed package wit shortcut in sound / video, but it wont launch. Av done oda installs like wget frontend succesfully and they work but dis vlc wont respond at all. Wat gives.

Sori 4 been a pesky noob!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:33am On Sep 04, 2009
which one? gedit or env or grep?
gedit is your text editor
env is like set in windows, it shows your environment variables
grep is like a filter ; if you just typed env, you'll see a list of strings
and then you'll have to scroll to the one that you want

env | grep PATH will print out only the strings on the same line
with PATH

as to the vlc, drag it to the terminal and press enter; what message do you get?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2009
@4llerbe
na wah oh i wonder y u r getting all dis probs on ur system?, is it dat old pc u r runnin d stuf on?
well tnk God blackweaver's here to save d day wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:58am On Sep 04, 2009
I mean d cmd wit which to launch the application dt u were referring to.

I dnt hav pwr now. U knw come 2 think of it when i did /configure one of d lines said something abt glib2 not found.

This thing is like a baby making a mess of eating a boiled egg.

Its not just d old system o lynx. Wat makes all this really wack is that mtn has gone really bad in my area. Tseew.

Bottom line is i installed jre and checkin synaptic, its not listed as installed. If dt problem is solved, d rest is easy. Na apt get abi?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:04am On Sep 04, 2009
which application are you referring to? ok i get it
what i meant is that there are some java programs that you
have to pass arguments (patameters) to before they can run;
for instance if you want to run .jar files you'll have to use
"java -jar <program>" instead of the regular "java program"

on the other hand of you have no problem typing the path in full you can just type
/usr/share/jdk/bin/java <program>

./configure make sudo make install are acutally 3 commands,
./configure
make
sudo make install

or if you want to type on one line type:
./configure; make; sudo make install

configure does some configuration on your system, tries to find out
if requirements are met and tries to locate needed libraries. once that
is done a makefile is created.
then make does the actual compiling and creates the binary file
make install then copies the binaries to the appropriate folders
usually /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/bin etc
you have to use sudo for the last set of files 'cos you are copying to system folders

i recommend using the first method i.e. running the commands one after the other,
just in case one should fail
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 10:46am On Sep 04, 2009
Thats my point. I start by saying for eg, fola/documents/openvpn2.1 ./configure

It does stuff and ends with fola/documents/openvpn2.1 $

At this point i usually type make after it but it gives error, ditto sudo make install.

My question is after ./configure and it does its thing, EXACTLY HOW DO I USE THOSE MAKE, SUDO MAKE INSTALL?

As in hw EXACTLY DO I TYPE THEM OUT given that d next string after /configure is now say fola/doc/openvpn $
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:58am On Sep 04, 2009
can you copy the last 10 lines that are displayed after you type ./configure
and paste them here?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 5:48pm On Sep 04, 2009
Lets save time. I read d log. Am on fone so cant paste but basically d gist is there is a glib 2.6 not found error. I guess that is needed 2 compile.
D other 1 4 vpn said missin lzo.

I dragged d vlc into d terminal and it said dt no such path found.

Hmmn. If dis is not gud enuf give me till night. Power is bad in d day at my end.

Then ran java -version and nothing was listed as present. Just d apps dt use it.

Basically d priority is that java. I have a .bin of sun jre. Hw do you suggest i install it. Draggin into terminal has basically failed. If i solve that i will solve d rest easily
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 7:57pm On Sep 04, 2009
hello, its been like forever.

well how una dey o?

I recently downloaded the latest ubuntu,i'm dual booting (Vista and Hardy Heron_), how can i put my new ubuntu in the partiton that hardy was on?

Please i know this issue has been discussed over and over. I use gNOME PPP as my GUI for connecting my modems (Starcomms and Nokia N-series), i recently got this Visafone Haier CDMA and the Gnome PPP doesnt detect it as a modem any time i connect it. How can i use the Haier (Via Gnome PPP or otherwise)?

Have a pleasant wknd and wishing the Green Eagles grin luck (they havent been Super in a while)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:14pm On Sep 04, 2009
res_init DEFINED
configure: checking for working epoll implementation,
checking for epoll_create, yes
configure: checking for libdl Library and Header files,
checking dlfcn.h usability, yes
checking dlfcn.h presence, yes
checking for dlfcn.h, yes
checking for dlopen, no
checking for dlopen in -ldl, yes
configure: checking for LZO Library and Header files,
checking lzo/lzo1x.h usability, no
checking lzo/lzo1x.h presence, no
checking for lzo/lzo1x.h, no
checking lzo1x.h usability, no
checking lzo1x.h presence, no
checking for lzo1x.h, no
LZO headers were not found
LZO library available from http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/
configure: error: Or try ./configure --disable-lzo
folabuntu@folabuntu-desktop:~/Documents/openvpn-2.1_rc19.tar linux/openvpn-2.1_rc19$

the bove is for the vpn. then tried the diable lzo cmd and it gave another error about open ssl. guess that one is a lost cause.

for the next package which i tried for audacious
checking for g++, g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler, yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g, yes
checking dependency style of gcc, none
checking for strerror in -lcposix, (cached) no
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian, no
checking whether ln -s works, yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE), (cached) yes
checking for rm, /bin/rm
checking for mv, /bin/mv
checking for cp, /bin/cp
checking for ar, /usr/bin/ar
checking for tr, /usr/bin/tr
checking for ranlib, /usr/bin/ranlib
checking for GLIB, no
configure: error:
Cannot find Glib2! If you are using binary packages based system, check that you
have the corresponding -dev/devel packages installed.

folabuntu@folabuntu-desktop:~/Documents/audacious-2.1$

where do we get the glib thingy?

i uninstalled and installed the vlc again, this time i looked at the terminal log and it only showed two lines
1 for unpacking, two for setting up, and did not show any detailed log of anything and was over in a record time!!!
looked fishy to me, cant for the life of me figure out why it would report successfull installation when it didnt.
the installer is 16 mb and i thot if i was corrupt it would not install no?

i don tire abeg. thanks so much weaver, really really appreciate ur efforts.

other sugestions and where to get .debs will be appreciated. get deb is too empty.

@ lynx, did u eventually do that apt on cd? then remember that link to the restricted repositories files that was in rapidshare that i wanted u to help me download? any chance you can still trace that?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:29pm On Sep 04, 2009
@mufasa can you paste the out put you get when you type "lsusb"
so we can start from there

@4llerbe instead of dragging and dropping, just type vlc in the terminal

by the way what do you need java for? you want to write programs?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:15pm On Sep 04, 2009
blackweaver:

@mufasa can you paste the out put you get when you type "lsusb"
so we can start from there

@4llerbe instead of dragging and dropping, just type vlc in the terminal

by the way what do you need java for? you want to write programs?
hmmmmm if only u knew lipsrsealed wink grin grin grin grin grin hehehehehe

@4llerbe
men dis ur pc is a headache oh!!n if all wat blackweaver has said cant resolve it i suggest u try in on anoda pc jst to be sure its not smtin u've not done or ur pc undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 9:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
mufasa:

I recently downloaded the latest ubuntu,i'm dual booting (Vista and Hardy Heron_), how can i put my new ubuntu in the partiton that hardy was on?

Pretty straight forward smiley. When you get to the partitioning stage, check "Specify partitions manually (Advanced)", hardy should be installed on an 'ext3' partition, so select that for Jaunty's ext3 filesystem and set "/" as the mount point, you should be fine using the existing swap space.

Please i know this issue has been discussed over and over. I use gNOME PPP as my GUI for connecting my modems (Starcomms and Nokia N-series), i recently got this Visafone Haier CDMA and the Gnome PPP doesnt detect it as a modem any time i connect it. How can i use the Haier (Via Gnome PPP or otherwise)?

Perhaps, you should upgrade to Jaunty and see if it supports it out of the box, if it doesn't, then you go 'driver hunting'.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2009
Ralvy:

Pretty straight forward smiley. When you get to the partitioning stage, check "Specify partitions manually (Advanced)", hardy should be installed on an 'ext3' partition, so select that for Jaunty's ext3 filesystem and set "/" as the mount point, you should be fine using the existing swap space.

Perhaps, you should upgrade to Jaunty and see if it supports it out of the box, if it doesn't, then you go 'driver hunting'.

I partitoned with Vista, from your explanation i figure you want me to partition with Ubuntu. Please can you give me a walk thru or a link to a walk thru as regards how i can do this.
and please in Layman's english, thnks a bunch
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2009
Actually am doing it on both a laptop and a desktop. Now d results are exactly identical. I dunno abt dt vlc thing o. Maybe d deb is bad. Or d installer is bad. Abeg. Painful dt i cant compile from source. Dt 4 beta 4 me.

On d lapie i installed thru wubi. Hw do i access files in windows?
2 diff pc!s painful.

I 4 try kde bt wen ubuntu dey stress me like dis i hate 2 think wat kde will do 2 me.

@ lynx hw bout hookin me wit mint?
Haha i posted d log dis nite naw, nl bots don start again o
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2009
4llerbe you said you can't connect to the internet on linux but you can on windows right?
what isp are you using? if starcomms or mtn i may be able to help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon2: 11:00pm On Sep 04, 2009
4llerbe:

@ lynx hw bout hookin me wit mint?
Haha i posted d log dis nite naw, nl bots don start again o
men na so i see am oh!!, to d extent i was even banned AGAIN!! SEUN where r u oh!!!

i hv d recent mint, ubuntu n kubuntu, so hw do u want to get it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 12:47am On Sep 05, 2009
@ weaver I use mtn.

@ lynx anyhw possible just name it. Hummn maybe d way i got d ubuntu. Or maybe i can get it at some meet up point. Just d mint.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 1:04am On Sep 05, 2009
@4llerbe
i dont know if this will help at all but maybe, before you drag the .bin file into the terminal, you should  first become super user. (sudo su) and also confirm that the file is executable (when in doubt, just chmod it e.g "chmod 777 file.bin"wink. i think the java runtime places some ugly looking softwares in your system >> Preferences. so you can check there to see if it was installed or just do "java -version" in the terminal. as for running a .jar file, you could type this in the terminal "java /file/location/file.jar". however, if you want to run it regularly without opening the terminal always, you can create a launcher and under the command box, type "java /file/location/file.jar" or something like that.

NOTE FOR THE GOLDEN RULE OF ENJOYING UBUNTU. NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER INSTALL FROM SOURCE EXCEPT YOU MOST ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!!!!!. IF YOU ARE NOT A PROGRAMMER, TARBALLS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND

you can probably find a repository or ppa or .deb file somewhere on the internet for that file you want to install from source. trust me. it is worth the trouble of looking. when you will really experience what i am talking about is if you try to install a software that has a lot of dependencies. try installing vlc from source and if you live to tell the story, you'll never compile another program again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:05am On Sep 05, 2009
@4llerbe: ok one more thing; i need to know the hardware id of your modem

in windows go to device manager (if you don't know how, go to start => run and type devmgmt.msc)
under modems right click  on the modem and select properties; click on the details tab
you should see something like this: USB\VID_1410&PID_4100&MI_00\6&1443A696&0&0000
just copy and paste your result here; i think i will be able to figure out how to help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:07am On Sep 05, 2009
Vlc log

Vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:12am On Sep 05, 2009
Oh ok i get now, i actually can hook up 2 d net now, i got anor fone. Thats wat all d runtime issue is about naw. Av some apps wit runtime dependencies.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:24am On Sep 05, 2009
@muyiscoi  actually when i started using linux i wasn't a programmer
and i still don't write programs in linux; however you must like techy stuff
if you are going to install from source - i don't like doing it much myself

ok 4llerbe the simplest way to get your java running; i mentioned it before but
you said it seemed too techy - you don't have to reinstall java.
you said your java folder was in /usr/local.
so if your java folder is jdk then your folder is /usr/local/jdk
now the two most common programs you use in jdk (as far as i know anyway)
are java and javac so these are the most likely programs you will use.

type "sudo ln -fs /usr/local/jdk/bin/java /usr/bin/java"

what this means is that you are creating a soft link (sort of like a shortcut in windows)
in /usr/bin that points to the java file in your jdk directory

do the same for any other java program that you are sure that you will need
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:26am On Sep 05, 2009
since you can connect from linux you can try reinstalling vlc
"sudo apt-get install vlc-nox"
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:43am On Sep 05, 2009
I tried 2 do dt line but was gettin unknown directory and some oda things sef.

Thanks every1 very much. But since i apparently installed java dt i cant uninstall cos i cant find it in my pc 2 uinstall!, i think i will just downgrade this issue into the passin interest category and just mess wit d system till i break it and then try kde, then any oda thing dt catches my fancy except mint works sha.
I even went down wine direction, crap software if i eva saw 1, it actually ran vlc.exe but no sound. Every oda exe i tried no way.

Experimenting all d way. I even tried 2 live boot puppy 4.2, d thing would not start x either in xorg or xvesa. Guess dt means d iso image is bad? Or wat?

Just Works is not sometin dt shld be mentioned wit linux
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 9:41am On Sep 05, 2009
mufasa:

I partitoned with Vista, from your explanation i figure you want me to partition with Ubuntu. Please can you give me a walk thru or a link to a walk thru as regards how i can do this.

You already said you have a partitioned hard drive (you dual boot Windows and Linux (Hardy)). I hope you don't overwrite both partitions, and the way to make sure that doesn't happen is to choose "manual partitioning". Make sure you pick the existing ext3 partition, format it and give it the mount point /. Pick your existing swap partition out too.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:52am On Sep 05, 2009
@4llerbe type "sudo updatedb" then "locate javac" to find the location of your java folder
and then use that directory for your "ln -s , " stuff
actually i see this thing as a challenge and would be disappointed if you gave up but if you want
to quit, no wahala

mufasa:

yyou said you partitioned vista right, that means you created a free partition under vista.
what Ralvy was trying to say is that you don't use the default installation configuration, instead you
tell the ubuntu installer to use the free partition you created under vista
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2009
No o, i never ever quit! Its just that am tired of being a pest on dis thread n lookin lyk am stupid.

Good n bad news. I got a post online on installin java and followed it by applyin common sense n managed 2 actualy install d thing properly and using update alternative cmd was able 2 link my java files to it! Hurray. BUT HOLD IT, NOW I CAN LAUNCH WITH JAVA SE BINARY BUT D THINGS WONT START. They want 2 then fail. Went to terminal and d response is
Urecognized option: -freedom.jar
Could not create the java virtual machine.

Welcome 2 round 2.
D locate javac did not give any result o!

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.