Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,203 members, 7,939,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 12:54 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (480366 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2009
4llerbe:

I tried 2 do dt line but was gettin unknown directory and some oda things sef.

Thanks every1 very much. But since i apparently installed java dt i cant uninstall cos i cant find it in my pc 2 uinstall!

you can try typing this in your terminal "whereis java" to find where it is located
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2009
Scratch that. D error is not file found. I think what happened is i had earlier installed java.exe in wine. When i traced javac it was showing me d java in wine. So i removed that, did d install of linux java and association again but still its showin file not found. D attempt 2 start was d response i got in wine earlier. I think associations are bad. But am very sure 1st time i tried it i got jvm error
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2009
Java -version now proudly reports that i have java 1.6.0 14 java se runtime library installed.

So y my java apps no dey start?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2009
4llerbe:

Java -version now proudly reports that i have java 1.6.0 14 java se runtime library installed.

So y my java apps no dey start?

did you try running them by typing "java -jar /file/location/file.jar" in the terminal? (note that file/location/file.jar just represents the file location and name)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 3:15pm On Sep 05, 2009
Yup. I totally removed wine and rebooted. Now when i Click d jar files there is no response at all. Iv tried terminal and its giving java virtual machine error. Exact words i have to check l8r. Am not in position now. Is there a significance btw java dev kit and runtime? D apps require runtime but am wondering if linux requires d toolkit. Windows doesnt.

@lynx wat java are u using?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2009
4llerbe you are trying to run file freedom.jar?
the correct syntax is "java -jar freedom.jar"
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 4:01pm On Sep 05, 2009
Yeah i knw. It was reporting an error. Pls give some time 2 get home and check wat it says. If i rmbr it includes cannot start java virtual machine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2009
Java -jar freedom.jar
Unable to access jarfile freedom.jar
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:49pm On Sep 05, 2009
ok java -jar then drag the freedom.jar file to the terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 4:56pm On Sep 05, 2009
it seems you are not in the right directory. move the freedom.jar file to your home folder and type this in the terminal
"java -jar ~/freedom.jar"
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 6:15pm On Sep 05, 2009
java - jar drag the freedom .jar =

unrecognized option:-jar/home/folabuntu/Documents/freedom-20090901-01linux/freedom.jar
could not create the java virtual machine

move to home folder then type java , =
unrecgnized option: --jar~/freedom.jar
could not create the java virtual machine
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:33pm On Sep 05, 2009
4llerbe you have to leave a space between grin
more like:
java -jar "/home/folabuntu/Documents/freedom-20090901-01linux/freedom.jar"

(for good measure include the quotes; copy the command and paste in your terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2009
dude for good measure am not on the same system so am typing by reading. but actually i just usually drag the damn file into terminal after typing so there cant have been an error. but no worry am almost thru with the download of the jdk version so no wahala av had time today.

ps if i use a cmd in terminal to open an app and i want to use that particular string as a shortcut how do i do that.
TONITE WE POP CHAMPAGNE
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:55pm On Sep 05, 2009
WHERE DO I START? Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! Weaver, YOU ARE D MAN!!! Success at last. D app started, i configged it, am online and updating my repos, was just going to post on nl wen pwr went. Am so happy. I dont knw hw 2 express my gratitude. Lynx, muyi, evry1. BIG THANK YOU.

Av learnt a lot. On my way frm noob 2 novice to user 2 guru 2 don! Lol.

Now dnt think u getting of dt cheap. Expect many more daft questions from me startin frm now. Lol.
Am so happy.

Ok so hw do i do d shortcut or do i have 2 use terminal all d time?

@Lynx, is vpn in d repo? And pls now u hav 2 help me config it o.

Humm wat else, yes bluetooth software 4 dialup?
LOL!!! Am coming
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:13pm On Sep 05, 2009
thank God it finally worked. as for the shortcut, i think i posted something about that yesterday but i'll repeat myself.

right click on your desktop, click on create launcher, name it whatever you like ( e.g freedom) , as for the command text box, type the command you used to launch the program in the terminal (cmd) that worked into the command text box
(e.g java -jar /home/user/freedom.jar and click okay. your launcher would be created. you can drag it onto the panel if you dont want it lying around on your desktop.
Note that you have to put the full path of the program into the command box starting from the root folder.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 8:27pm On Sep 05, 2009
WHERE DO I START? Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! Weaver, YOU ARE D MAN!!! Success at last. D app started, i configged it, am online and updating my repos, was just going to post on nl wen pwr went. Am so happy. I dont knw hw 2 express my gratitude. Lynx, muyi, evry1. BIG THANK YOU.

Av learnt a lot. On my way frm noob 2 novice to user 2 guru 2 don! Lol.

Now dnt think u getting of dt cheap. Expect many more daft questions from me startin frm now. Lol.
Am so happy.

Ok so hw do i do d shortcut or do i have 2 use terminal all d time?

@Lynx, is vpn in d repo? And pls now u hav 2 help me config it o.

Humm wat else, yes bluetooth software 4 dialup?
LOL!!! Am coming
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2009
i can help with at least one of those questions. as for bluetooth software for modem, blueman is excellent. it is very easy to use. you should have no problem at all with it. i'm not sure if it is in the repos but it should be. try "sudo apt-get install blueman"
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 10:26pm On Sep 05, 2009
I've been away for a very long time and it's quite interesting to meet so many people here. Thank God the linux community is taking shape. I hope to help with support and I squeeze more time. For everybody in doubt, Linux is the best computing platform for you smiley (OK, maybe not)

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 10:34pm On Sep 05, 2009
okay it has just occured to mythick skull that i have abolutely no sound at all, not even system sounds. i dunno y i neva just realised it all this while. i was pulling plugins off the repos for mp3 them when after getting them tried to play, well the songs played alright, just dont hear nuthing. avinstalled this things for like 2 weeks now and am just realising.

so next hurdle o my people
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:59pm On Sep 05, 2009
can you post the output of lspci so we can start from there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 11:28pm On Sep 05, 2009
folabuntu@folabuntu-desktop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 05)
00:14.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:14.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:14.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c)
folabuntu@folabuntu-desktop:~$
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2009
do you get sound on that pc using windows? there doesn't seem to be a sound card listed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:25am On Sep 06, 2009
ok try sudo lsmod | grep snd

perhaps i will see something i missed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 1:35am On Sep 06, 2009
Yup. Most definitely. Premium sound. I gathered as much myself dt d pc aint seeing no sound card. Let me do d other cmd lets see
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:08am On Sep 06, 2009
It says snd-gtk not installed use sudo apt-get install snd-gtk
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jediknight(m): 9:53am On Sep 06, 2009
@Blackweaver,

U seem to be very Ubuntu savvy, I was wondering if u could help me with a little issue i have that's really cramping my ubuntu style. I posted the issue a few weeks back but couldn't get enough help troubleshooting it.

I can't get my usb modem working, its a Anydata's ADU-510c. The network manager doesn't recognise it. I used to use sierra's aircard 580 (pci) and that worked out of the box. I did a lil' research on my own and found out the Anydata's ADU-510c is a flip flop device, its a composite device having a storage and modem device in one. on windows it's actually recognised as a CD-ROM and a modem. I came across a patch online called usb_modeswitch that's helps such flip flop devices work, I tried it out and still couldn't get the device working, maybe i didn't configure the patch well. funny thing though is that the device did actually work once, I just plugged it in and it worked, and hasn't worked since that lucky once. it works perfectly fine on windows though. i think ubuntu does recognise a device plugged but doesn't know what it is cuz when i run the cmd lsusb it comes its show something attached to the usb with and id and qualcomm written beside it.

Sorry for the long post, I do hope I was able to communicate the issue across and hopefully you could have some idea that could lead to a resolution.

Bless.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 9:59am On Sep 06, 2009
@lynx pls post your config 4 gettin d system 2 use yf. Am a bit confused. I had d systemwide network proxy on direct connectn, set mozilla 2 automatically detect and at first it didnt work, then it worked fine, now it just stopped in d middle of an update and is not sending packets again.

Nb. Pls where n hw did config vpn? Iv downlded it bt in network mgr its not listed and d add tab greyed out. Yf tries 2 start it bt fails.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:01pm On Sep 06, 2009
@jediknight
if it's a composite device then your pc's probably seeing it as a cdrom
try ejecting the cdrom device
that's what i do sometimes with my ovation usb modem

probably /dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1
(though i think sr0 will eject your existing cd/dvd drive)
unless you have more than one cd/dvd drive in which it might be /dev/sr2
(the command should be eject /dev/sr1)

just try "dmesg | grep /dev/sr" to find the devices that are listed

(oh and just for the record, i'm more of linux savvy; most of the tricks i know i learnt from
using less user friendly distros)

@4llerbe what happens if you type "alsamixer"?
if all is well you should see a command-line mixer and you can useĀ  that to adjust
your sound volume; use "?" to see a list of options available
in fact in retrospect if you did not have a working soundcard your
music player would have complained
Re: Ubuntu Linux by MrInfo1(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2009

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:50pm On Sep 06, 2009
mrInfo what isp are you using?
and isn't tha win7?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:22pm On Sep 06, 2009
Alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: no such file or directory

In fact yesterday i dwnld alsa mixergui, alsaplayer, gnome alsaplayer, n every codec in sight. Hmmn i also found dt in system/sound dt under default mixer tracks both capture n playback show null output.

Ps hw do i stop dt update mgr thing from disturbing me. D thing starts up every 5 mins
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon2: 7:29pm On Sep 06, 2009
@info
EHEN!! expect my call soon oh wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.