Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,241 members, 7,887,683 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:18 PM

Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (20725 Views)

Why Struggle With Domestic Chores? / Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by lukaino(m): 9:01am On Jan 14, 2013
Many times we hear women complain about men not helping out with any of the domestic chores and people are quick to conclude that such men are wicked and insensitive. I think men have reasons for not helping out. Mine for example is that all the times i tried to help out with something, my wife automatically makes it my duty every other time; she'll even remind me when i don't do it. I think one should help out of one's free will. Guys what are your reasons?

12 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Gloriagee(f): 1:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
N what happens if the wife does household chores out of her own free will? Just think how organised ur home'll be, how well fed ur kids'll be...a typical model family

8 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by bjcole(m): 2:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
@ Op, i hope u r not looking 4 trouble, these women will attack u, hope u r ready? Well to answer ur question, doing a house chores is not a big deal, its ur house, when both husband & wife join hands together, the tasks become easier, however u dont take a house chores as a responbility u share wit ur wife, it shoud be out of freewill, u ve ur major financial roles to take care.

1 Like

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by bukatyne(f): 4:11pm On Jan 14, 2013
lukaino: Many times we hear women complain about men not helping out with any of the domestic chores and people are quick to conclude that such men are wicked and insensitive. I think men have reasons for not helping out. Mine for example is that all the times i tried to help out with something, my wife automatically makes it my duty every other time; she'll even remind me when i don't do it. I think one should help out of one's free will. Guys what are your reasons?
I don't want to attack you but ask some honest questions:
1. When your wife is doing the chores and you are at home, what do you do?
2. When you are both back from work and she is preparing the meals, what do you do?
3. Before you got married, who helped you with chores? and if nobody, what has changed now?
4. Do you think it's your wife's duty to contribute financially to your expenses @ home?

thanks.

18 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 14, 2013
bukatyne: I don't want to attack you but ask some honest questions:
2. When you are both back from work and she is preparing the meals, what do you do?
3. Before you got married, who helped you with chores? and if nobody, what has changed now?
4. Do you think it's your wife's duty to contribute financially to your expenses @ home?

thanks.
on point, pls sir answers these questions.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 15, 2013
lukaino: Many times we hear women complain about men not helping out with any of the domestic chores and people are quick to conclude that such men are wicked and insensitive. I think men have reasons for not helping out. Mine for example is that all the times i tried to help out with something, my wife automatically makes it my duty every other time; she'll even remind me when i don't do it. I think one should help out of one's free will. Guys what are your reasons?

So you believe that you are only supposed to assist with house work whenever you feel like? You think housework should the responsibility of only the wife?

Lol. Some Naija men and their unbelievable laziness.

It is your duty to assist her with house work, whether you agree or not does not change the facts. I believe you married a working woman and not an illiterate full time house wife.
Since she works and contributes financially to the upkeep of the house, you also have to join her in doing housework. You cannot expect her to fully shoulder the responsibilities of doing housework, taking care of the children and running her job at the same time, while you do nothing else but go to work and return back home.

16 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 15, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy..... I always like to throw in a warning post .... guess I'm late today cheesy cheesy as per career woman cheesy

Umm umm!! You asked for it OP and gonna get it in pages cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 12:50am On Jan 15, 2013

give a woman an inch and she would take a mile.
do the physically tasking chores and leave the sciences to her. even when you have to help her, endeavour to remind her you are filling in for her temporarily. women can be manipulative.....you have to be careful when dealing with them.

16 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

give a woman an inch and she would take a mile.

Do you have a mother?

do the physically tasking chores and leave the sciences to her. even when you have to help her, endeavour to remind her you are filling in for her temporarily. women can be manipulative.....you have to be careful when dealing with them.

Wow......

So what are these physically tasking chores you speak of?

3 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by HARDDON: 12:55am On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:

So you believe that you are only supposed to assist with house work whenever you feel like? You think housework should the responsibility of only the wife?

Lol. Some Naija men and their unbelievable laziness.

It is your duty to assist her with house work, whether you agree or not does not change the facts. I believe you married a working woman and not an illiterate full time house wife.
Since she works and contributes financially to the upkeep of the house, you also have to join her in doing housework. You cannot expect her to fully shoulder the responsibilities of doing housework, taking care of the children and running her job at the same time, while you do nothing else but go to work and return back home.

I'm not d least an advocate of men (sitting with crossed legs, a glass of red wine on hand , watching dstv) while my supposed angel is in d kitchen working ha a55 out. I'd mos def rather help wen i can.

But hey, a woman's money is a woman's money. D guy's money is everybody's money that is d logo!
Let's not let sentiments be cloud our noble sense of réality reasoning püleez.
A man's primary duty is to provide ƒoя d family, while d woman is to kare ƒoя d family. Daz Just d way eriz.

14 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 15, 2013
HARDDON:

But hey, a woman's money is a woman's money. D guy's money is everybody's money that is d logo!
Let's not let sentiments be cloud our noble sense of réality reasoning püleez.
A man's primary duty is to provide ƒoя d family, while d woman is to kare ƒoя d family. Daz Just d way eriz.

So who made these rules and why are all human beings under obligation to follow them?

7 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 1:06am On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:
Do you have a mother?

what has having a mother or not having gotta do with this? women are the same everywhere unless of course you are one dark-skinned hermaphrodite!

Wow......
So what are these physically tasking chores you speak of?

moving furnitures, heavy lifting, installation of electrical units, etc. sciences like cooking, washing, cleaning are feminine chores. everyone should play his/her position. if my wife's car breaks down 30 miles away, my duty is to drive down there and give her my own car to continue her journey while i sort her vehicle out - just like i expect to meet a steamy bowl of jollof rice after work every evening.

27 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:
what has having a mother or not having gotta do with this? women are the same everywhere unless of course you are one dark-skinned hermaphrodite!

So your mother is among those women who would take a mile if you give them an inch?

moving furnitures, heavy lifting, installation of electrical units, etc.

How often is furniture moved around in the house? Which heavy lifting are you even talking about that the wife cannot carry out with the help of her children and how often do electrical units need installations? You mean to say that your work in the house are the type of work that only come up once a month or once in a couple of years abi? While your wife's house work are an everyday affair.
How nice.

sciences like cooking, washing, cleaning are feminine chores.

Before you married and while you were still washing your clothes by yourself you were not a afemale, you were male. And doing those things did not turn you into a female.

everyone should play his/her position.

Your ideas on what 'positions' everybody should play are not binding on the whole of humanity and they are not written anywhere as laws that must be followed. If you like living that way, fine. It doesn't mean that those are the positions people should play.

if my wife's car breaks down 30 miles away, my duty is to drive down there and give her my own car to continue her journey while i sort her vehicle out - just like i expect to meet a steamy bowl of jollof rice after work every evening.

If your wife's car breaks down then she can call a mechanic. You don't have to leave your work to drive 30 miles. That is just ridiculous.

27 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by HARDDON: 1:30am On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:

So who made these rules and why are all human beings under obligation to follow them?

Huh?

Return here after your soulful expedition and Ask ♏ԑ dis same question when you suddenly wake up oηε ♏☺r♌ing with ballzz inbtw your legs.

Not until den, d man remains d head of the family just as christ is d head of d church .

He has bin saddled ωiƒ the responsibility of providing, protecting and generally seeing to d well being of d bunch.

Dis doesn't sound like rocket science , does it?

If i may ask, what exactly r you trying to propose? The woman take over d breadwinner role? And den she turns around tomorrow and tell him to his face that he is not man enuf? Jeez Fellis.

Like i said ealier on, dnt secret too Much estrogen' in dis case deawie. It aint gono help Ʊ .

3 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by greatgod2012(f): 2:56am On Jan 15, 2013
I intentionally ignored this thread, because, i knew its going to turn into war zone.

Thay being said, i will say, everybody should do what seems right in one's sight to make d marriage work. Marriage is not child's play, it requires maturity, understanding, tolerance and compromise.
If d hubby is matured enough to know that, he doesnt have to let d wife work herself to death in d house, d4, she should be assisted, then d wife must also be matured enough to appreciate d man and not always impose it on d man.
If d man doesnt help d woman in household chores, d woman should understand d ego of d man and tolerate him, doing what she is capable to do, not overworking herself to death,which means, that shouldnt be a reason to file for divorce.
Marriage is either simple or complex, depending on d type of individuals involved in a certain marriage.
As far as im concerned, my man helped me in household chores, but i have never and will never impose it on him or remind him about one, hes always d one that decide which one to help me out with.
Above all, no two marriages are d same,everyone should try and make his/her marriage work.........im tired of talking about housechores again, whichever anyone wants, let him/her do.
May God help us all.

22 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 3:17am On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:
So your mother is among those women who would take a mile if you give them an inch?

women are the same everywhere....

How often is furniture moved around in the house? Which heavy lifting are you even talking about that the wife cannot carry out with the help of her children and how often do electrical units need installations? You mean to say that your work in the house are the type of work that only come up once a month or once in a couple of years abi? While your wife's house work are an everyday affair.
How nice.

that's how it works.....
these out-of-the-blues task occur very often and it's not really advisable for women to lift heavy objects before she slips her disc. the heavy stuff would be taken care of by me.

Before you married and while you were still washing your clothes by yourself you were not a afemale, you were male. And doing those things did not turn you into a female.

i take my clothes to the dry cleaner every month. where is the time to be washing/drying and ironing clothes?

Your ideas on what 'positions' everybody should play are not binding on the whole of humanity and they are not written anywhere as laws that must be followed. If you like living that way, fine. It doesn't mean that those are the positions people should play.

have i called your husband to force my opinion on him? if another couple wants to reverse the roles i have stated, it's entirely their prerogative. i have just given my sound opinion and it works a treat with the couples i am close to.

If your wife's car breaks down then she can call a mechanic. You don't have to leave your work to drive 30 miles. That is just ridiculous.

call a mechanic? and the mechanic would give her a car to drive home as well? oh - wait, my wife should stay by the roadside and wait until the mechanic finishes? you are the smartest decision maker nigeria has ever produced yet.

8 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 15, 2013
I had wanted to reply the above post but after reading greadgod's comment and this part of coogar's post
coogar:
women are the same everywhere
I decided not to.
The dude is obviously the type of person that would make any illogical statement and even insult his mother rather than admit he is wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 15, 2013
Aaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaain! angry angry angry

Poster we've heard . . you don't like helping your wives with chores, that's your own palava!

I'm tired of listening to coogar babble, it's giving me a headache!
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by lukaino(m): 9:23am On Jan 15, 2013
To start with, my responsibility as the head of the family is to provide for the family regardless of whatever my wife makes(A woman's money is a woman's money), also, it is my duty to spend time to think about how to ensure that the family as a whole moves forward- i do this when she's busy with the domestic chores. Also, as Africans, domestic chores is meant to be a woman's duty which she does with pride, teaching her daughters also. Growing up, i can't remember seeing my father wash dishes , sweep or wash clothes; the guy spent his time providing for the family to the point of ensuring that my mother does not have anything to do with providing for anyone. This is African and thats what the outside world finds amazing with us.
I am not an advocate of working the woman whom i love to death; thats why i take out some very strong tasks for myself sometimes; for this i deserve nothing but appreciation(for over stepping my boundaries grin)

5 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by phenom666(m): 9:24am On Jan 15, 2013
Gal of now at days are layz trying to change d law. One tin d knw is just make up and money. Wash no. Infact d are chicken no back bone
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by victorian(f): 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
It has been the norms from way back, that men do absolutely no chores at home, but provide money, shelter and protection. Even if the wife supports him financially sometimes...the wife, still must make sure the home is tidy and neat.. It's our calling.. We can't dodge, hide or argue about it... Well, from my state, it's the wife's duty, no arguments on it.. U will be trained from the day u start helping mum in the kitchen.. Don't even argue or else's u r done for, in my dad's house, then... And that's the way I intend to bring up my daughters, when I start having them... While the sons , God help them, they must be responsible and ready to take responsibilities for their actions and decisions.. No lazy attitudes, at all..!

10 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by bleeztouch(m): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Who said men don't help out

2 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
[size=16pt] most naija men are lazy!!!!. smh once they get married they dont wanna do anything again!!! while the wife is cooking,scrubbing,cleaning,washing,backing the baby,assisting the family financially,feeding and bathing the baby, arranging the house! washing the man boxers!!! what a typical naija man wants to do is shocked eat,picking his teeth and fart!!! [/size]

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by ayoade2: 2:16pm On Jan 15, 2013

thanks.

Answers to 1& 2 is nothing.
Answer to 3 is my younger sisters
Answer to 4 is no, thats my responsibility not hers.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by vanstanzy(m): 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ummm! because they are lazy! On a more serious note, women make it their husbands duty once he helps, and i don't think its fair! cool cool cool*READY TO BE WHACKED BY WOMEN-FOLKS ON THE HEAD!* grin grin grin
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by omiobo: 2:25pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ah! the only help wey I dey give my wife na to cook because I no dey joke with food,and I no fit dey hungry because she no dey housegrin
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by asudan: 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
ur topic is misleading.it would have been why most men don't help their wives.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

moving furnitures, heavy lifting, installation of electrical units, etc. sciences like cooking, washing, cleaning are feminine chores. everyone should play his/her position. if my wife's car breaks down 30 miles away, my duty is to drive down there and give her my own car to continue her journey while i sort her vehicle out - just like i expect to meet a steamy bowl of jollof rice after work every evening.

wow i love dis reply...
God i thank u 4 u have destined me 2 b rich and helpful.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Wendyslim(f): 2:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
Some women don't really appreciate things
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
who told you that men don't help in domestic chores? up til now i still wash my clothes, my wife's and that of the kids. I cook when my wife is tired, drive the kids to and from school daily. Thank God am self employed so i have time to care for my family.

5 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Oahray: 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
@op, I dey your back jor. If war wan come, make e come grin
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by omiobo: 2:33pm On Jan 15, 2013

thanks.

1 strategising
2 strategising
3 nobody,status
4 NO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can Someone Who Decides To Live A Single And Childless Life Be Happy? / Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / I Am Tired Of My Mom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.