Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,591 members, 7,944,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 01:26 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (462364 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
@shavel,
Chizquare is just rite,a company is an entity, with the aim of increasing its asset and reducing liability, and them sponsoring you is a lliability to them because they are making expenses not just for your tuition but total upkeep in canada, so there should be a substantial gain for them for taking such action in the long run, For a comapny to be sponsoring you there must be a good reason attached to that. So chizquare is rigth, a normal account would have been preferable. And besides providing a company account means you need many documentations of the company attached to your application.
If its your dad's company or immediate familys', then you are just fine.
Your pick though.
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
@Shavel&tosinosho1992,
Ok. Thanks for the detailed information and encouragement. I also wish u all positive response to ur application.
Grazie(Thank you)
ciao
Re: Travelling To Canada by bashtee: 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
@newacca
What time can one go to CDHC to check application status?
Re: Travelling To Canada by prince0011: 9:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
Hey newacca,

I must commend you for your excellent response during your interview with the VO given the circumstances.

In all honesty, I am optimistic you have satisfied the expectation of the VO in terms of your; career objectives, your intention to stay/leave Canada after your education, financial responsibility, ties to bring you back home after your studies, a good knowledge of the foundation/contunuity of your studies,

I have no doubt that you would be called for your medicals and again you are on the right career path upon your arrival in Canada.

The VO is correct about ACCA not popular here in Canada and it might be better for you to look at other options such as CGA, CPA, CMA etc,

Again I must say "you did a good job" !
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
@Bashtee,
I suggest u go very early in the morning,as earlier as 8:00 am . I will advise you not to take chances by getting there around 10:00 they may not attend to you when it's getting close to 11:00 am due to my experience with them. I narrowly miss the interview,if not for the intervention of the almighty.
Re: Travelling To Canada by bashtee: 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
@all
Please I need direction on how to get to CDHC from the Airport.As I will be coming from Abuja am not dat farmiliar with Lagos.
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
@Prince0011,
Thanks so much for the comment and words of encouragement. I guess you are also a professional in Accouting or better still,you are in Management field. I also hope and pray I get called for the medicals. I will keep all u guyz updated and I am also aware of the ACCA stand in Canada. Though ACCA comes with Bsc(hons) in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brooke University. I think a Degree in Accounting will be useful. More so,gaining skillful knowledge from the prog. will help me go a long way in my career and field. Yet,I am open to advice and support from experienced people like you most especially those that are already in Canada.
Thanks.
Ciao
Re: Travelling To Canada by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 06, 2011
@chizquare and eky102
Thanks for the info, the acct am talking about blongs to my dad and he got all his company's registration documents including the certificate of incoporation and all other cac documents.i think with all these am good to go.
Ur view plsssss!.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tolyem(m): 8:52am On Jul 06, 2011
@chizquare, eky102

@all

What do you think ?

1. I defered my admission to January, 2012 start date after cdhc had said my fall application cannot be processed.

The school just mailed me that January session for program runs for 6 months as against the initial 10 months in Fall session ( he made mentioned that i can still apply for work permit). I am just in a fix now, I need to submit my application by August, 2011 for the January session.

what do suggest i do now, note that, cdhc suggest that a 6 months program might not need study permit unless the applicant decides otherwise.

2. My sponsor is my company (Business Manager), it belong to my uncle (though he is igbo and i am yoruba- he is my mum's brother).

I am married with 2 kids and with good financial status (Assets wise). I submitted my documents, the company's letter ( employment letter, leave letter with pay-covering the study period, board resolution, introduction/sponsorship affidavit by my MD(Uncle), introduction letter by HR)

My fear is that cdhc might ask me to pay-up the whole tuition since its just 6 month programm. And the program is too small.

Please i need yur advice.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tolyem(m): 9:14am On Jul 06, 2011
@chizquare, eky102 and @all

then the company's bank statement that has good transactional records, with a current balance of 10million plus
Re: Travelling To Canada by tolyem(m): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2011
tosinosho, shavel,kwuseke etc

your good experience is needed here ooooo
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 9:57am On Jul 06, 2011
@ shavel,
Since its your dads company account, you are just fine. No hassles my brother you are good to go.

@tolyem,
The CDHC website states that a study permit will not be required for a study of six months or less, but there is also an exception where it states that If you plan to take a short course (less than six months in duration) at first, and then proceed to another study programme in Canada, you should apply for a Study Permit instead. But your intentions must be clearly stated, by indicating proposes course of study, college,affiliation with institution(transfering course credits). try and detail on advancement in your SOP, for instance if you going for a post graduate diploma in business, you could explain that you intend transfering credits and pursue a masters program in a particular institution after the initial study.
But please note, if considering this path, show a good steady source of income, because its like using one stone to kill two birds.
Cheers!
Re: Travelling To Canada by newmusic: 10:13am On Jul 06, 2011
This is really educating, kudos to you guys and I pray newacca and other people in the same situation will get positive answer by the Grace of the Almighty.

My question is I am going for an 8 month course with the intention of enrolling for another 8 months course in the same institution, is it wise to state this to the VO during the interview? Cheerz.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tolyem(m): 10:17am On Jul 06, 2011
@eky102

The program was suppose to be 10 months Fall session (Graduate Diploma) Business Management Certificate in Canadore College. But Cdhc returned the package that it doesnt meet the 90 days thing.

Now, the school said that Janaury session is just 6 months, already i dont have any provision for continuing to any further program there unless i decide now to state that I will be proceeding to CGA ( Certified General Accountants).

My company has a steady a bank transactional records, at least frequent cash inflow daily and with consistent closing balance of 5-12 millions daily. However, I cant lay my hands on the CAC or memorandum of association, but my MD(Uncle) vouch to attend to every verification from the CDHC
Re: Travelling To Canada by EpicWin: 10:36am On Jul 06, 2011
Does past travel records give one additional points? I ask this because a friend is berating me 4 submitting my ols passport which shows previous travel. I submitted it cos It shows I always come home frequently, Abeg, please answer ohhh, was it a good idea to submit it or a bad idea?
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 11:28am On Jul 06, 2011
@newmusic, you need not mention that in your own case its not necessary, just focus on your initial program.

@epicwin, don't mind whoever said that, outside being married and having a good job, the next best possible way to show ties to your country is providing a good history. So that's very good.

@tolyem, CDHC will work with what is written your your offer of admission letter, if it states 6 months,they migth say you do not need a study permit, instead all you need is a TRV, that's why i said you should show details on advancement. The CGA path is good, besides all these short ptofessional courses are better appreciated than a masters degree, and your reason for choosing canada would be because its a great financial hub in the world. Besides you are married with kids so you have good ties.
With reference to the account using a company account isn't too fabulous like i stated earlier, there must be a reason why they are sponsoring, have the company write a detail letter on why they are engaing in that. Since you work there and its owned by your uncle, i suggest you show documents to establish that relationship between you and him.
It is at the discretion of the VO to request for tuition fee payment, so i wouldn't know. Some people pay full tuition while other don't pay a dime.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tolyem(m): 12:14pm On Jul 06, 2011
@eky102,

I cant thank you enough, The board resolution is showing the reason why the company insisted i go for the course being the [b]new Business Manager of the company, note that the company deal import/export and general merchant (So the need for international exposure).

My mother bears the same name with my MD but nothing to show the relationship (My mom married a long time and she is old 62- with no marriage cert) and she did not marry from church or paperwise(polygamous way).

My MD cannot locate the CAC or memorandum of association.

-But I have my own Tax id card, Pension, Bank statement, stocks account
-Company has required letter for me, good Statee
Re: Travelling To Canada by blackbreed: 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2011
ANYONE PLS ADVICE ME ON STUDY PERMIT,I HAD SUBMITTED MY APPLICATION FOR THE PAST 2 MONTHS NOW AND NO CALL, DO YOU THINK IF I WILL NOT BE GRANTED THE VISA MY APPLICATION WOULD HAVE BEEN RETURNED TO ME,,DOES IT MEANS THAT WHEN YOUR APPLICATION IS WITH THEM FOR LONGER PERIOD YOU RE STANDING A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING THE VISA.AND WILL BE MEDICAL BE MADE IN THE EMBASSY OR THEY WILL DIRECT YOU TO THEIR PREFERRED HOSPITALS FOR THE CHECK UP.ALL ADVICES WILL BE APPRECIATED.

REGARDS
BLACKBREED
Re: Travelling To Canada by blackbreed: 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2011
ALSO THE STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT USED WAS THAT OF MY UNCLE WITH HIS WORKING IDENTITIES ,LETTER OF GUARANTOR AS WELL AS LETTER AND PROOF OF PROPERTIES DOCUMENTS FROM MY MUM,DO YOU THINK THIS IS ENOUGH, COS ITS ONLY IN NIGERIA SOMEONE WILL HAVE TO PROCESS VISA FOR 3 MONTHS,, ONLY THE CANADIAN EMBASSY IN NIGERIA, IN OTHER COUNTRIES I THINK THE PROCESS TIME IS LESSER MAYBE COS OF TOO MUCH FAKE DOCUMENTS 49JA,BUT ALL IS WELL,SCHOOL WILL RESUME IN SEPTEMBER, MAJOR IN COMPUTER SCIENCE,PLS MY BRODAS AND SISTAS, I NEED UR ADVICE ON DIS MATA.

THANKS
BLACKBREED
Re: Travelling To Canada by cindel07: 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2011
@newmusic
My question is I am going for an 8 month course with the intention of enrolling for another 8 months course in the same institution, is it wise to state this to the VO during the interview? Cheerz.

were you invited for an interview, please can you give us a brief detail of your application so that we can know how to tackle your question and when did you apply and when did they call you for interview and when are you going, cos not all the applications submitted are called for interview.

@blackbreed

the answer to that your question can be answered by God and why did i say so cos we had an issue of two persons in this trend adewale and igbo who had delayed application and only one of them got the visa another guy after 4 months of his application in the embassy he got his visa and the other didnt so i would advice you to pray and pray, surely God will see us through so which date did you submit your application

@ ALL

We plenty wei neva hear anything from the embassy, well everyone sit tight cos God is behind the scene bringing out our visa,
Re: Travelling To Canada by blackbreed: 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2011
@ cindel07
Thanks for your reply,, i sbumited my application about 9 weeks now,,,and one need to know when they will answer, is there any way to check the status of your application
Re: Travelling To Canada by cindel07: 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2011
@blackbreed
you have two option its either you send them an Email lagos.immigration@international.gc.ca
or you go there a lay your complain, keep us posted on your application status,

@ tolyem

My mother bears the same name with my MD but nothing to show the relationship (My mom married a long time and she is old 62- with no marriage cert) and she did not marry from church or paperwise(polygamous way).

Guy you have to show the relationship of you and your uncle
you can go to the national population commission and get a birth certificate for your mummy and make sure it has that your surname with that nee i.e having her fathers name which will be the same with your uncles name.
Re: Travelling To Canada by EpicWin: 1:58pm On Jul 06, 2011
@eky102
I felt the sam way too and besides, keeping past travel away from them woulda been silly especially when I have nothing to hide. But men, getting 5 police reports from 5 countries was mad long and mad expensive!

@newacca
Do keep us posted when u hear anything.

@breed, @Cindel, be like say na by resumption date and not by first come first serve sha cos some peeps get august and july resumption date wey them never assess ohh.

@all
I wish everyone waiting 4 a "good" response from CDHC 'Testicular Fortitude' to bear the wait.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:33pm On Jul 06, 2011
debosky:

I haven't seen such a detailed interview just for a study visa. Things must have gotten much stricter since when I applied in 2005.
Depending on what the VO is looking for, it could be that strict and it has been this way for eons. In this case, it's obvious that the VO was trying to find out if the applicant knew anything about accounting and the ACCA program. She also had some issues with sponsorship. Some points to note from his post:

- If you are working for yourself or your family (basically doing "buy and sell"wink, you do not not need a certification. Why apply?
- If you want a certification to work for yourself just because you want to increase your knowledge (which is a good thing), ICAN is more than adequate. Why spend extra and risk your already thriving business to pursue a certification in Canada, where it is not recognised?

I do not think he did a good job trying to convince the VO on these two points amongst others. No offence, but I also thought his definition of marketing and responses on his final project were quite elementary for a grad student trying to get an accounting designation. This is in no way an indictment of the applicant's knowledge. On the other hand, I think the applicant has done well for himself and put in a very strong application to get an interview which could go 50/50. However, I think that folks going for these interviews should learn to anticipate questions and understand what the interviewer is driving at so that they are able to give more "appropriate" responses. I sincerely hope in this case the applicant gets approved. Just my two cents!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:45pm On Jul 06, 2011
cindel07:

@newmusic

were you invited for an interview, please can you give us a brief detail of your application so that we can know how to tackle your question and when did you apply and when did they call you for interview and when are you going, cos not all the applications submitted are called for interview.

I'd state 8months for the initial application. If/when you get to Canada, you can easily renew for another 8months.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2011

@Ayoalade, kindly send me your phone number to Laajman@yahoo.ca, as promised so I could discuss my spousal application with you.

I'm currently in Toronto, and confused about this medical test thing for spousal applications. Do we need to include in the initial application,
as it is one of the items on the checklist. And i hear the application would be returned as imcomplete if it is not included.

I'm also confused about what name to use on the application forms, her maiden name which her passport bears, or her married name.
Btw, can Nigerian Immigration do a change of name for her passport?

I'd appreciate constructive feedback from folks in the know.
@Laajman, I know this was directed at Ayo. I do not know if he has answered your question; If he has, you may ignore my comments:

Are you applying for your spouse inland or outland?
- Your spouse needs to do a medical test before you apply. You'd include a copy of the receipt in the application; Yes, it will be returned if incomplete!
- Your spouse has to apply with the name that appears on her passport; in this case, her maiden name. It's not a big deal since your marriage certificate is consistent. You can change the name through Nigerian immigration. My advice to you is to either change the name now before you put in the application or change it after the application has been approved and your spouse has landed. Do not change the name in the middle of the application because you'd only delay the process.
Goodluck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by vkings: 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2011
@Delta007,

You seem to be unbiased in your contribution.

Please, What chance do you think I have as regards being granted a study permit? I did an MSc in the UK and now thinking of going for a PhD but I've not been able to get any response from the professors for supervision even while I was still in the UK. I'm now thinking of going for another MSc in canada if that's what it'll take for me to leave this country.

Do you think it'll be a wise decision to go for an MSc? or in other words, do you think I'll beat the VO to it if I opt for going for an MSc?

On the other hand, can you suggest a way I can reach any of those professors in canada rather than emailing or calling?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2011
vkings:

@Delta007,

You seem to be unbiased in your contribution.

Please, What chance do you think I have as regards being granted a study permit? I did an MSc in the UK and now thinking of going for a PhD but I've not been able to get any response from the professors for supervision even while I was still in the UK. I'm now thinking of going for another MSc in canada if that's what it'll take for me to leave this country.

Do you think it'll be a wise decision to go for an MSc? or in other words, do you think I'll beat the VO to it if I opt for going for an MSc?

On the other hand, can you suggest a way I can reach any of those professors in canada rather than emailing or calling?

Thanks in advance for your response.
On the one hand, the fact that you returned from the UK after your Masters program counts for you. However, you'd have to explain why you need a second Master's program. I'd advice you include a letter in your application to buttress your point(s). Since I'm not in the VO's head, I cannot say for sure if you are going to be granted; it can go either way.

I'd think you have a better shot at obtaining a Visa for a PhD because it shows a progression in your education. It's another one month before Fall semester starts; most people are on vacations between May and August. You may be better of shooting for the Fall of 2012 and begin/resume your contact this Fall (2011) so that by January, you got everything wrapped up. Email and Phone are your only options unless you have someone in some particular institution that can meet the Professor on your behalf. Goodluck!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by jayb(m): 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2011
Re: Travelling To Canada by blackbreed: 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2011
MY PEOPLE ,,, IF PERSON GO GO 4 INTERVIEW,,, THEY GO CALL PERSON ON PHONE OR THEY GO SEND LETTER COME HOUSE,,, OR EMAIL,,, AND IF PERSON APPLICATION DON STAY LONG FOR EMBASSY,THAT ONE NEVER MEANS SAY PERSON DON GET VISA,,,, SO WHY THE LONG TIME SINCE THEY SAID THEY WILL HAVE TO INVESTIGATE ALL DOCUMENTS, I BEG MAKE U NAA ADVICE U NAA BRODA OO,, ANYWAY GOD DEY NAA HIM I DEY FOLLOW,,,

THANKS ALOT
BLACKBREED grin
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2011
@Delta007,
Thank you so much for the criticism,advice and points. I am sure new nairalanders will learn from this forum and especially from my case,when my case has been condemned and written off at the initial stage. Most of the guyz here didnt believe I could make it to interview stage but I always follow a saying that: Even if everyone says you dont have a chance,never give up your dream. I think I have to let you realize some facts about my case and why the VO thinks I have a stand and why she probably considered calling me up for interview. I will start by making some rectifications to the points you have drawn.

- If you are working for yourself or your family (basically doing "buy and sell"wink, you do not not need a certification. Why apply?

[b]ACCA is not about certification alone. I will earn Bsc.(hons) in applied Accounting from Oxford Brooke University,UK after the completion of the prog. If I could pursue the prog. in Canada,I will come back to Nigeria not only with my certificate,but with world class exposure and experience. Apply practical skills and knowledge to my Business wont be harmful. More so,everyone needs to think outside the box. I need to see my business grow and I am a Director(Major decision maker) in my Father's company. So,why cant I go for such prog? Do I have to see the business grow before I could upgrade my knowledge and skills? why do I have to pay for the services of the professionals(Accountants&Economists) if I can afford to be one? Why will my father pay for professional service if he has a son that can provide the service knowing well that he will sit at the realms of affair of such company in the nearest future? Administering my own Business and family business at the same time may be challenging,so why cant I get more practical skills and knowledge if I can afford it? Nobody wants to be stagnant,everybody and business wants to grow,so I want to move from that ( basic "buy&sell"wink to Import,Export,Haulage and Automobiles(which is already on my certificate of biz.reg). If I didnt convince the VO enough about this points on my letter of intent,she would not have bothered calling me for interview. [/b]

- If you want a certification to work for yourself just because you want to increase your knowledge (which is a good thing), ICAN is more than adequate. Why spend extra and risk your already thriving business to pursue a certification in Canada, where it is not recognised?

[b]ICAN does not match the shoes and comparison of ACCA in anyway and ICAN will not give me world class experience and exposure,as it is limited to West Africa alone. ICAN's practical teaching does not match that of ACCA and what I need mostly is practical knowledge with world class work experience and project. Furthermore,I have already made it known to the VO through the letter of intent that I am of the school of thought that believe in learning from cradle to grave. As long as I can afford to pay all my study and living expenses in Canada while I still have substantial amount of money and shares left at my disposal,and leaving my business for a short period of time with safe hands;while I stated categorically on the letter of intent the breakdown of my expenses;why can't I pursue the course? I agree with you that ACCA is not recognized in Canada,but it is widely recognized in Europe and Africa where I came from;and it's superior to the similar qualification in Nigeria&Africa(ICAN). ACCA's unfamiliarity in Canada does not have any effect on my objective as I am not pursuing the course to utilize it or get employment in Canada. It's only needed for the development of my business,contributing meaningful decisions to family business for the development of the company and to add to my prestige in the society[/b]

I do not think he did a good job trying to convince the VO on these two points amongst others.

Yes,you might not think I convince the VO,but if God says yes,who can say no? Though the VO did not show any sign if I convince her or not,yet I believe God has his ways of doing things. He wants and has the best for me. If the Canada study visa is not now,then later. All I know is that God is great.

No offence, but I also thought his definition of marketing and responses on his final project were quite elementary for a grad student trying to get an accounting designation. This is in no way an indictment of the applicant's knowledge. 

Thanks. Nobody is perfect. I didn't prepare for the question but I think I made a point that can be understood. More so,I am not a grad. student. I only have National Diploma in Business Studies and I want to increase my theoretical and practical skills in Financial education,and this inspired me for prog. like ACCA which is cost&time efficient to bridge upgrade my ND result to Bsc in Applied Accounting. Though I know I didnt respond to the question properly as a person in the management field,yet,i bet I will provide the best response if it happened to be an exam or screening to get appointed as Nigerian ambassador or Minister
  cheesy

On the other hand, I think the applicant has done well for himself and put in a very strong application to get an interview which could go 50/50. However, I think that folks going for these interviews should learn to anticipate questions and understand what the interviewer is driving at so that they are able to give more "appropriate" responses. I sincerely hope in this case the applicant gets approved. Just my two cents!
[quote][/quote]

At the end,I thank you so much for seeing to the loop holes and advising other nairalanders. Thanks so much. GRAZIE,this is how we say THANK YOU in Italiano.
ciao
Re: Travelling To Canada by bashtee: 7:48pm On Jul 06, 2011
@newacca
Is the VO a Nigerian or a white Lady?

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.