Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,132 members, 7,907,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 12:07 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (460091 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 1:26pm On Jul 28, 2010
Rare:

@Delta007;
(i) CIC website says application for TRV must be done 30 days prior to initial visa expiry (while in Canada). [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp]
By the time I'd arrive, the window for expiry of my single-entry TRV would be less than that, though my study permit would still be valid (about 2 years I suppose). Would I still be eligible to aply the multiple-entry TRV in Buffalo, from Canada by post ?. Would I need to to show evidence of school registration?

(ii) What are common validity durations of multiple-entry TRVs ?
A TRV is different from your permit to stay (in your case, Study Permit). A TRV just gives you permission to entert he country; it does not give you permission to stay; so even though you have a 1 day Visa (TRV), as far as you arrive before the Visa expires, you will be granted some form of stay depending on your status; in your case, I'd assume they'd give you a study permit in the airport which will be valid for 2yrs (they may give you a 1yr study permit, which means you have to renew it INLAND; that's where the 30days recommendation comes to play. It's just a recommendation, not a strict rule).

Your TRV can be expired, while you are studying in Canada and it's no issue as far as your study permit is not expired and you do not plan to leave and re-enter Canada. It's when you plan to leave and re-enter, then you will have to renew the TRV (if it is expired). So, yes, you can send it to Buffalo for renewal via Canada Post whether it is expired or nearly expired. You also have to show that you are a registered student ( a letter from your registrar's office) with a valid study permit in Canada. It's a fairly easy process compared to what you face in Lagos. In the section where they ask you the reason for your application, you have to come up with a reason like you are planning to go home for Christmas vacation and want to be able to come back to continue your studies, etc.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 1:10am On Jul 29, 2010
Delta007:

A TRV is different from your permit to stay (in your case, Study Permit). A TRV just gives you permission to entert he country; it does not give you permission to stay; so even though you have a 1 day Visa (TRV), as far as you arrive before the Visa expires, you will be granted some form of stay depending on your status; in your case, I'd assume they'd give you a study permit in the airport which will be valid for 2yrs (they may give you a 1yr study permit, which means you have to renew it INLAND; that's where the 30days recommendation comes to play. It's just a recommendation, not a strict rule).

Your TRV can be expired, while you are studying in Canada and it's no issue as far as your study permit is not expired and you do not plan to leave and re-enter Canada. It's when you plan to leave and re-enter, then you will have to renew the TRV (if it is expired). So, yes, you can send it to Buffalo for renewal via Canada Post whether it is expired or nearly expired. You also have to show that you are a registered student ( a letter from your registrar's office) with a valid study permit in Canada. It's a fairly easy process compared to what you face in Lagos. In the section where they ask you the reason for your application, you have to come up with a reason like you are planning to go home for Christmas vacation and want to be able to come back to continue your studies, etc.

@Delta007; I understand you perfectly.

So what about second part of my question: "(ii) What are common validity durations of multiple-entry TRVs ?"
Re: Travelling To Canada by Jarikre: 10:04am On Jul 29, 2010
Pls help.Can i work while schooling as an undergraduate in canada? Do they give undergraduates job?
Re: Travelling To Canada by goldenval(m): 3:04pm On Jul 29, 2010
PLEASE OH OO, ADVICE, I WANT TO GO TO CANADA FOR A VACATION AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALL THE REQUIREMENT I WILL NEED TO PROVIDE.

ADVICE PLEASE.
Re: Travelling To Canada by bobobabe: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2010
Hey Nairalanders, To GOD be the GLORY!!! CDHC issued my TRV for study today after three attempts. To all expectant nairalanders, delay is not a denial. persistence is the watchword.
Thanks u all .
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 10:10pm On Jul 29, 2010
Congrats bobobabe! cool
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2010
Rare:

@Delta007; I understand you perfectly.

So what about second part of my question: "(ii) What are common validity durations of multiple-entry TRVs ?"

It depends, but is usually tied to the expiry date of your study visa. You'll usually be given a year I believe.
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanreade(m): 7:36am On Jul 30, 2010
Am 30yr old going for my masters program at university of waterloo, canada.My question is dat,with my age do I have a chance of getting visa to canada and want is the minimum age dat the canadian embassy requires for whoeva that wants to go for masters in canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 11:56am On Jul 30, 2010
lanreade:

Am 30yr old going for my masters program at university of waterloo, canada.My question is dat,with my age do I have a chance of getting visa to canada and want is the minimum age dat the canadian embassy requires for whoeva that wants to go for masters in canada.

As far as I'm aware, there are no age restrictions. If the University has no issues with your age then I don't expect the CDHC to have issues with it either.
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanreade(m): 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2010
debosy,thanks for ur reply.I got admission to university of waterloo around late june but I had to defer the admission till winter 2011.I mailed the lady in charge and she said by middle of August I would have another offer letter.My question now is dat,is it not date late?
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 2:55pm On Jul 30, 2010
lanreade:

debosy,thanks for your reply.I got admission to university of waterloo around late june but I had to defer the admission till winter 2011.I mailed the lady in charge and she said by middle of August I would have another offer letter.My question now is dat,is it not date late?

I don't think that is too late - with a new admission letter by August, I think you have sufficient time to apply and get your visa to begin studies in January 2011.
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 5:59pm On Jul 30, 2010
bobobabe:

Hey Nairalanders, To GOD be the GLORY!!! CDHC issued my TRV for study today after three attempts. To all expectant nairalanders, delay is not a denial. persistence is the watchword.
Thanks u all .

please , when did u apply, i mean what date did u apply
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 10:01pm On Jul 30, 2010
@Lanreade

Hey, I think that those of us that will be applying for Winter 2011 really need to come on board and help each other. I look forward in applying for VISA soon, I have been given admission into McGill University and University of Manitoba. Still confuse for the one to go for,

@ All

Please Guys, help me consider this thing oooo

I got admission into University of Texas in the USA, Mcgill University and University of Manitoba in Canada. Well, after much deliberation I decided to study in Canada for known reasons to me. My problem is that which one should I go for between the two universities in Canada.

NB, Please know this!

1. Tuition for Mcgill is about 16k Canada dollars while tuition for Manitoba is 8k Canada dollars
2. Mcgill is rank among the top schools in the world while Manitoba rank below 100 in the world
3. Mcgill is in Quebec, the french speaking part of Canada, while Manitoba is in Winnipeg a relative small city in canada
4 I was offer same course in both universities without scholarship
5 To enter Quebec, apart from the entry visa I still need the Quebec entry pass
6. My supervisor in mcgill will be a Nigerian Professor, while in Manitoba is a Chinese Proffessor
7. It seems will letter get a scholarship in manitoba, after some time. my professor told me

Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 10:06pm On Jul 30, 2010
Left to me, I'd go to McGill, but you do need to seriously consider your funding options.

Are you able to pay part/all your fees?
Re: Travelling To Canada by symbian03(m): 11:13am On Jul 31, 2010
Debosky has said it all, your financial capability should be considered.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 4:13pm On Jul 31, 2010
@Debosky &Symbian03

Hey, thanks guys. I think money is not really the issue. Well, I think I would settle for Mcgill anyway. Now I have some questions more

1. Please I just finished my NYSC, I am 28 , I have no job. Now could you please tell me what I can use as a tie to Nigeria(?) apart from the usual one people have been using like Letter from Employer, Study leave etc. The thing is that I have no job(!)

2. Please my sponsor is my Uncle- Inlaw, hope am good to go. What do you guys thinks.?, well I will include his marriage certificate showing that he is married to my sister ,that once bear my surname.

N.B I will be happy if you guys help solve this my problem. I have read through the thread pages, i have not noticed anybody asking my first question.
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 9:19pm On Jul 31, 2010
My people,

I don finally do the medicals 4 ABJ. i am back to base now and hoping for good news soon. I also sent back the passport with return courier and all. abeg make una continue una prayers so dat we will all succeed.

@ Charlie 193,
I am not an expert in this business (In fact I am yet to get my visa), but I can tell you that every one uses those same old ties- employment letter, family members and co. So its not going to overly impress the visa officer. I believe you should focus on your study questionnaire and in crafting answers that give a strong impression that you are determined to pursue a career in Nigeria that is related to what you are going to study abroad. It would also be helpful if you highlight these points in the cover letter you send to CDHC. If you have pure intentions, it shouldnt be a problem saying exactly what you want to go abroad for and why you will come back. The problem is usually in the packaging-  with the right packaging, you can sell anything.

Personally, I gave a clear picture of my intended course of study and how that is related to my undergraduate degree. I also attached some supporting evidence to show how i have tried to gather informal and semi-formal experience in that field. If u were going for an MBA, u can show financial conferences you attended as a student or graduate, show internships or diplomas courses to prove that you are set on a clear career path. Cite programmes and stuff dat u did during ur undergrad or youth service that further enhance ur credibility as someone interested in dat career path and who has some relevant experience. If u r going 4 an MBA and during ur youth service, u organized a seminar for local village women on micro finance and related issues, u should cite dat. These and other small experiences u have gathered over the years - which u may think are irrelevant, serve to further enhance ur credibility. Then of course u should take care of other things like finances and co. Cos good packaging without a 'complete' package is nothing. Some people pointed out earlier that they r not keen to believe the whole Uncle, aunty, in-law thing and that they prefer mum or dad. Nonetheless, u go use wetin u get. In my view, u can improve ur chances by paying ur fees and then all they will be looking for in d persons acct is money for ur upkeep. It also signals a firm commitment to ur studies abroad.(Just my opinion, cos I paid mine).

I pointed out in specific terms how the Masters' degree would help my future career in Nigeria and said exactly what that career will be (in specific terms- cos saying that A) I want to finish my MBA and come back to Nigeria to explore investment opportunities OR saying B) I plan to finish my MBA and come back to Nigeria to work with 'Goldman and Sachs'- where I did an internship, and I also plan to take teaching job at the Lagos Business School as i have a vested interest in grooming the future economic giants of my dear country; is not the same thing. A response like B) says that you have a clearly defined career path in life and the fact that you can elucidate it this way shows that you have given much thought to it. Notice that B) also ties his future career plans to Nigeria and gives an overall impression that he is invested in his future within the confines of Nigeria. This makes it more likely that you are going to do this (even though there are no guarantees) OR at the very least, paints u in a better light in the eyes of the visa officer.  

So I think you should work on this very well, besides the general stuff like family and employer's letter etc. And always show how useful ur intended course of study will be in Nigeria.
And on d flip side, try apply early so even if d thing get K-leg (God forbid!), u go fit follow up d Yankee runs.
Good luck to u. And abeg dey pray 4 me make my own click well.  

Disclaimer: I just be applicant like u, so take everything with a pinch of salt ( at least till I have my visa in hand and can then speak in 'grandfather mode' like delta, debosky wonderbod and co. lol.
Re: Travelling To Canada by bgold3003: 10:49pm On Jul 31, 2010
@99dreamkid. Please when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on the 8th of june but i have not heard anything from them since.
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2010
99dreamkid:

My people,

I don finally do the medicals 4 ABJ. i am back to base now and hoping for good news soon. I also sent back the passport with return courier and all. abeg make una continue una prayers so dat we will all succeed.

@ Charlie 193,
I am not an expert in this business (In fact I am yet to get my visa), but I can tell you that every one uses those same old ties- employment letter, family members and co. So its not going to overly impress the visa officer. I believe you should focus on your study questionnaire and in crafting answers that give a strong impression that you are determined to pursue a career in Nigeria that is related to what you are going to study abroad. It would also be helpful if you highlight these points in the cover letter you send to CDHC. If you have pure intentions, it shouldnt be a problem saying exactly what you want to go abroad for and why you will come back. The problem is usually in the packaging-  with the right packaging, you can sell anything.

Personally, I gave a clear picture of my intended course of study and how that is related to my undergraduate degree. I also attached some supporting evidence to show how i have tried to gather informal and semi-formal experience in that field. If u were going for an MBA, u can show financial conferences you attended as a student or graduate, show internships or diplomas courses to prove that you are set on a clear career path. Cite programmes and stuff dat u did during your undergrad or youth service that further enhance your credibility as someone interested in dat career path and who has some relevant experience. If u r going 4 an MBA and during your youth service, u organized a seminar for local village women on micro finance and related issues, u should cite dat. These and other small experiences u have gathered over the years - which u may think are irrelevant, serve to further enhance your credibility. Then of course u should take care of other things like finances and co. Cos good packaging without a 'complete' package is nothing. Some people pointed out earlier that they r not keen to believe the whole Uncle, aunty, in-law thing and that they prefer mum or dad. Nonetheless, u go use wetin u get. In my view, u can improve your chances by paying your fees and then all they will be looking for in d persons acct is money for your upkeep. It also signals a firm commitment to your studies abroad.(Just my opinion, cos I paid mine).

I pointed out in specific terms how the Masters' degree would help my future career in Nigeria and said exactly what that career will be (in specific terms- cos saying that A) I want to finish my MBA and come back to Nigeria to explore investment opportunities OR saying B) I plan to finish my MBA and come back to Nigeria to work with 'Goldman and Sachs'- where I did an internship, and I also plan to take teaching job at the Lagos Business School as i have a vested interest in grooming the future economic giants of my dear country; is not the same thing. A response like B) says that you have a clearly defined career path in life and the fact that you can elucidate it this way shows that you have given much thought to it. Notice that B) also ties his future career plans to Nigeria and gives an overall impression that he is invested in his future within the confines of Nigeria. This makes it more likely that you are going to do this (even though there are no guarantees) OR at the very least, paints u in a better light in the eyes of the visa officer.  

So I think you should work on this very well, besides the general stuff like family and employer's letter etc. And always show how useful your intended course of study will be in Nigeria.
And on d flip side, try apply early so even if d thing get K-leg (God forbid!), u go fit follow up d Yankee runs.
Good luck to u. And abeg dey pray 4 me make my own click well.  

Disclaimer: I just be applicant like u, so take everything with a pinch of salt ( at least till I have my visa in hand and can then speak in 'grandfather mode' like delta, debosky wonderbod and co. lol.

i envy u die, i beg 99, how much did u do the medicals
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 11:26am On Aug 01, 2010
deneks4:

i envy u die, i beg 99, how much did u do the medicals

The medicals cost 46,000 naira at d Abuja hospital. And no worry, u go soon receive ur own. God is on his throne.

bgold3003:

@99dreamkid. Please when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on the 8th of june but i have not heard anything from them since.

I submitted mine on the 2nd of June. When i went 4 my medicals, i also met someone there who submitted on d 5th of June. U can send them an e-mail by next week if u dont hear from them and supply all necessary info like courier tracking number, name, date of birth and co. I was also calling and leaving messages on their answering machine. During each call, i would politely say why I am calling and drop my name, tracking number and co. All d best man.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 2:25pm On Aug 01, 2010
@99dreamkid

I think I will start calling you 2010dreamkid, because that is what you are , I know that all your dreams will surely be actualized this year in Jesus Name. My guy you are too much! Thanks for the reply.

Well, to the issue;

Are you saying that I should still get a company that can claim that I work for them or I should just try to complete the questionaire well well and forget all about the Employer letter?

Please I have some more questions:

1. @ 2010 dreamkid, Please whom do you use for your sponsor?

2. @ All, Please I have not gotten my Degree certificate, can I go ahead to use the statement of result that have beneath it that it only valid for a year from the day it was issued. And it was actually issued Sometimes in 2008?

Guys! I wish you all happy sunday
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 7:27pm On Aug 01, 2010
charlie193:

2. @ All, Please I have not gotten my Degree certificate, can I go ahead to use the statement of result that have beneath it that it only valid for a year from the day it was issued. And it was actually issued Sometimes in 2008?
Guys! I wish you all happy sunday

I used a statement of result (that had elapsed it's validity by 2 years) during my successul study permit application.
I had my degree certificate, but I didn't submit it because I didn't want to leave my degree cert with CDHC for so long.
Re: Travelling To Canada by mrcastool: 11:57pm On Aug 01, 2010
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 12:25pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ Charlie,
Thanks man. I used my parents as my sponsors. And I will advise that u should get ur original degree certificate. It carries d university seal and is more 'believable'. There is no problem with having the employer letter, all i am saying is dat u should make sure that every thing adds up. Make sure that company u worked for is related to ur undergrad course of study and is relevant to ur post grad course of study. And make sure the timing is right cos u have to explain any gap years.
Cheers man.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 3:32pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ charlie

Don't worry too much about the certificate - as long as the University can be contacted to verify you studied and graduated with them then there is no problem.

charlie193:

@Debosky &Symbian03

Hey, thanks guys. I think money is not really the issue. Well, I think I would settle for Mcgill anyway. Now I have some questions more

1. Please I just finished my NYSC, I am 28 , I have no job. Now could you please tell me what I can use as a tie to Nigeria(?) apart from the usual one people have been using like Letter from Employer, Study leave etc. The thing is that I have no job(!)

This is touch and go really. When I applied, I didn't have a job (I rejected the offer I was given) and I wasn't on study leave either. As 99dreamkid said, what you need to do is show you have a clear desire to return to Nigeria, either to work in your field of study or to start off a business. You need to demonstrate a passion to use your Canadian education to improve things in Nigeria. Follow dreamkid's example as much as you can.

The reality is that the assessment officer will need to decide whether you appear to be a genuine student or not, so give it your best shot and pray for favour.

2. Please my sponsor is my Uncle- Inlaw, hope am good to go. What do you guys thinks.?, well I will include his marriage certificate showing that he is married to my sister ,that once bear my surname.

That should be sufficient, but make sure you include the signed declaration that he will sponsor your education throughout your stay in Canada. I assume he has funds showing he can support you for the duration of your studies? Also ensure you've calculated how much it will potentially cost you and evidence that your uncle can foot the bill.

I wish you all the best in your application.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 6:53am On Aug 03, 2010
@Rare, Debosky, 2010Dreamkid

You guys are just too much. Thanks all. Well I think I will go for the employment letter and the study leave letter and also try to fill the form well well,  Then, I will use the statement of result and Transcript, but I will still try to see if I could get the certificate, but I am very sure is not yet available for  the 2008 set.  I think am getting all the documents ready for the application which  I will be making soonest. I will try and post all the documents that I will be using for you guys to see before I put in for  my application finally.

For now I say a big thank you to you all. U na too much!

Now I have some more questions

1. Can I attach a cover letter on the statement of result, explaining that the degree certificate is not ready?

2. Please, I want to know if anyone here has once done  the Quebec  Acceptance Certificate thing.  How long does it take?

3.Please  can someone please tell me how I can open a Canadian account from Nigeria?
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 1:35pm On Aug 03, 2010
bgold3003:

please boss, can u hit me back once u hear from them, a friend of mine went there on monday for inquiry, and the security guy actually gave him the form, but advised him not to lodge any inquiry, he told him that by experience, those who lodge inquiry get denied with speed. so the guy was scared, and left. please let me know once u can track o
Re: Travelling To Canada by sophy09: 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
deneks4:

please boss, can u hit me back once u hear from them, a friend of mine went there on monday for inquiry, and the security guy actually gave him the form, but advised him not to lodge any inquiry, he told him that by experience, those who lodge inquiry get denied with speed. so the guy was scared, and left. please let me know once u can track o

That is a lie, you have every right to make inquiries. Most of these securities do not know what they are saying. They want to feel important that is why most of them yan rubbish to people and at the end of the day they get angry and tell you they are not answering any questions any more. I saw a enough of them when I was applying because I went there everyday cause I submitted July went for medical October after that I did not get any feedback from them. I had to go there myself for the whole month of January I was resuming at their embassy. I got my visa 12 months after and I was told the reason for the delay. It is better to find out what is holding them back so you can work toward it.
Re: Travelling To Canada by bgold3003: 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
deneks4:

ok I will let you know as soon as I hear from them, I hope that you will also keep me informed as you make progress on your application.
Re: Travelling To Canada by chi21: 10:42pm On Aug 03, 2010
lol going to canada is not easy as i say. You have to have an original degree certifcate. dont thing when you come over there you are going to start from were you left off. Nope it will not happen. when find a school you have to make sure you can pay for it. in some schools a 2years course is from $50,000 and up it canada is not like USA. i have a lots of friends that want to come over there the can't but is not easy for them if you look at it you better say in african or were ever you are and go to school.
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 4:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
bgold3003:

ok I will let you know as soon as I hear from them, I hope that you will also keep me informed as you make progress on your application.

am so so confuse, bro it's 43 working days o, 9 good weeks, people, please what is to be done, i am so not understanding o. anyone with this experience??, cuz i mean,
Re: Travelling To Canada by bgold3003: 6:06pm On Aug 04, 2010
deneks4:

am so so confuse, bro it's 43 working days o, 9 good weeks, people, please what is to be done, i am so not understanding o. anyone with this experience??, cuz i mean,

my own is 42 working days today but we can only continue to pray and then wait. we should hear from them this week hopefully.[quote][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.