Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,157 members, 7,907,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 02:21 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (460104 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Babalola33: 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2011
Hello people,
Thanks and God bless before i even start
I've been having a very good read here and i am pleasantly surprised that people actually sit and type all these advise for nothing
Way to go, and once again thanks

I have a couple of URGENT questions. Please treat urgently
I intend/NEED to get into a canadian university this year, so i need to know a few things

I wrote WAEC in 2001 and passed with flying colors, got into university in 2002 with an intention to change the course i was currently reading.
i was still very young then 15/16. But years later, with a couple of sad stories to boot, and to cut a long story short i dropped out.
I was tired of the mediocrity and most importantly i realised i was in the wrong course. Now i'm 24, having nothing to do any more with nigerian education, i want to school in canada

Now all i have as my educational qualification is my WAEC, my first year transcript from an unnamed although reputable nigerian university and God's gift of intelligience.

1. Can i apply to school in a canadian university with these requirements, and most importantly considering the amount of time that has gone by
being idle

2. Can someone kind enough give me a few names of universities i can apply to?

3. When exactly do i apply. I'm confused with the winter, spring, fall dates. Please i need specifics
WHEN EXACTLY do i apply if i want to get into university this year? If i apply now will i get in this year?

Thanks and God bless as you reply promptly. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2011
please i need suggestions from delta007 and debosky or anyone with suggestions. VERY URGENT PLEASE

i have a bachelors degree in business administration but graduated wit a 2.2 (2.97) cgpa and for this reason, getting a masters degree program there in canada is difficult. so far, i have applied to memorial university for masters in employment relations as i was told they require 50% from nigerians. i also applied to university of lethbridge for a mgt as a second degree program with major in human resources(undergraduate with co-op) and now i wanna apply to george brown college(PG HUMAN RESOURCES with 4months co-op). i have just changed the application for uleth to a one year mgt certificate because i was told that if i complete d certificate program with a 3/4 gpa, i will be eligible to apply for an msc in mgt.instead of doing another undergraduate degree for about 2yrs, i felt 1yr certificate program and then proceed to the 1yr msc. What do you guyz think? please i need ur candid advice.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 8:09pm On Jan 12, 2011
Debo, long time. Happy New Year. This one wey you dey pursue woman around NL, may 2011 be your portion grin What city are you based in now?

Good points you've made.

Just a few things to note. With regards the immigration issue, right now, 2yrs vs 3yrs may not be a big deal under the CEC program because one can get his/her PR under 2yrs, all things being equal. However, with the drive to retain int'l students and the growing backlog in the PNP and Skilled worker programs, 2 years may be a very tight timeline; I hope not but I wont bet on it. Last year, one could get PR under 6-7mths (including medicals etc) under the PNP programs. Today, if you get it from Buffalo within 12mths, you are lucky; that's not including the backlog in the provincial offices.

I agree; The coop programs are very critical. I remember a few years ago when I used to recruit undergrad Engineers (EITs) to work for my org, every career fair I went to, I always recommended students with some good work experience. I have encouraged every student (domestic and international) that I have mentored to try to get some work experience while in school. It's an invaluable pursuit for one's personal and career development. This is one of the areas I look at when recommending institutions to prospective students. Sometimes, I am shocked at some parents (especially Nigerians) who have no clue about the system but they seem so eager to send their kids here for the heck of it. As far as the kid gets admitted into any program/school, they are fine. They'd send the money and even give you the responsibility of raising their kid.

Lastly, you are right. Someone transferring into a 3rd year program may be eligible for a coop program. I must point out that coop jobs are relatively difficult to come by these days especially in some professions. Students have to work very hard to be on top of their game. Some institutions have really good contacts and their students benefit alot from these contacts; some no send.
debosky:

Most valid point made in that post - good advice Delta.

Most of the jobs at 'graduate' level in Canada tend to go to people who've done internships. Even if you have a masters degree and you're competing against someone with a Bachelor's + internship, most companies will choose the latter over the master's candidate. This is not 'dem say' but something I've experienced first hand.

I actually remember one employer telling me to my face that they don't take people with master's degrees for their graduate positions!

Whatever you do, try your best to gain some work experience/internship before leaving school - it massively improves your chances of getting employment after graduation.

@ Delta

If a person studied for 18 months/2 years at Humber and then transferred to York, I think you'd still be in with a good chance at getting a coop placement since they tend to be in the 3rd year (if memory serves me well). The 2 vs 3 year work permit is a lesser concern IMO since you'd be eligible to apply for PR under the Canadian experience class.

On the other hand, if you can get University admission in the first instance, go after it with all your energy. The idea of simply 'schooling abroad' is clearly not sufficient. I have a close friend who decided to study for a Diploma at Capilano College (now university - well respected institution in British Columbia) but ended up having to go to take a Masters Degree and decided to do so in the UK afterwards because the Diploma wasn't really that valuable in the job market.

@ Raphael

One of the main determinants to getting visas is proving you have ties to Nigeria - If I were you, I'd tell your dad to transfer the ownership of one of the houses to your name. That way you can tell them you will definitely be coming back to live in your ready built house. grin

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Raphel2011: 11:30pm On Jan 12, 2011
@ Delta007, Debosky and everyone
Thanks a ton for the replies, they was really informative.

On humber's website, it shows there is a 84 hours business placement in the final semester. Is that different from the Intership y'all are talking about?
btw, I can transfer credit from humber to york uni after the first semester if you think its better.

@ Busta, That's exactly what i have in mind.

Busta:

Humber College is a reputable college in Toronto and they have some decent degree programs as well, since the college is affiliated with York University. There is a friend of mine that graduated with a degree from Humber and then transfered her credits there-off to York University for a second degree.

all the same, good luck!

Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 11:47pm On Jan 12, 2011
@ Ralph We're talking about 3-6 month placements, not just a token couple of days.

If you can transfer the credits by the first semester, do it as soon as possible to give yourself a good opportunity.

@ Delta

Happy new year to you bro. I just dey play with those girls jare. . . . .a lil entertainment on nl. cheesy

I'm not in CA at the moment, but I should be back by May or thereabouts - work commitments.

@ Babalola

You've asked very broad questions so you'll have to narrow it down.

Simply put, you may be able to get admission this year, likely for late in the year, but you'll need to act very quickly.

For links on universities and courses you can pursue, check out http://www.aucc.ca/ and use it to search for courses and universities. You aren't going to get things that easy - you need to research the schools to find out what schools you can attend and this ultimately depends on what you want to study.

You are unlikely to be able to transfer a year's study from over 8 years ago and I would advise going for a 'fresh' start instead. I'm not sure your WAEC from 10 years ago will be eligible either - you might need to take another exam (maybe Cambridge GCSE?) to prove you have current ability to attend University.

You will face tough questions from the embassy regarding what you've been doing for all these years and why you would remain in school if you do get a visa. Ultimately you'll need to be very confident and have a plausible explanation to scale through.

Frankly speaking, I'd advise you get started on getting fresh qualifications you can use.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Babalola33: 1:14am On Jan 13, 2011
Hello Debosky,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Unfortunately i had always feared my inactivity was going to be a problem. So my WAEC is USELESS in this regard?
Is that what you are trying to say?
Even the first year transcript?
The transcript in question doesnt even relate to the new course i intend to pursue. just shows i attended the university.
So all that is left for me, is to write the exam you specified above?
Sorry for the barrage of questions but as it stands, i'm getting increasing desperate

Just a couple of questions

1. I'm confused about the question mark at the end of the exam. Are you saying you are not sure if thats the exam i need to take for sure?

2. I'm currently in nigeria. Can i write this exam in nigeria this year, and still use the results to gain admission this year?

Please i will appreciate if you visit this section more often, even if just for my sake.

Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by mchuxx(m): 3:39am On Jan 13, 2011
@ babalola
u may use yr old WAEC result to apply. u can apply for fall (sept) admission now . u are really gonna have a tough time convinving d embassy why u are out of school for 10 yrs . so start thinkng and planning in that direction.
Re: Travelling To Canada by obietrix: 1:51pm On Jan 13, 2011
debosky:

@ Raphael

One of the main determinants to getting visas is proving you have ties to Nigeria - If I were you, I'd tell your dad to transfer the ownership of one of the houses to your name. That way you can tell them you will definitely be coming back to live in your ready built house. grin

All the best.
@debosky
what documents will i present to the embassy prove the transfer of ownership of the house or landed property .
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cavad4real: 2:53pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ all nairalander and my wonderful gurus please i need help on where to apply for toefl.thanks
@charlie could you please send me the personal statemen of purpose .my email :cavad4real@yahoo.com.thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cavad4real: 2:57pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ all nairalander and my wonderful gurus please i need help on where to apply for toefl.thanks
@charlie could you please send me the personal statemen of purpose .my email :cavad4real@yahoo.com.thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Arlington(f): 4:12pm On Jan 13, 2011
Hello Dis guy/Debosky/ Delta007
Please I need some information/ help ASAP . I am trying to get my younger brother into Canada for schooling. He has applied to the USA where i live for visitation a while ago and was denied.
I don't want him going back there for schooling and they think it is a scam and just a way for him to enter the USA and he gets rejected .
He is currently at LASU studying part time which is just a waste of time , he had some issues with Jamb in the past so that made him stay at home for a while before getting this part time study.
He is 25 years old, I am my husband will be his sponsor,My question is where do we start from ?

Will he have to write any exam like TOEFL? Where is usually the best place for him to look for schools in Canada that is not ridiculously expensive and neither a mushroom university Ontario or Alberta?
What are the cost's like? Does he have to pay a whole year in advance? From what i am reading here he will have to apply for the fall. Will be be better for me to apply for the school for him and they send me all the documents in the USA and i send them to him, or him receiving them in Nigeria is better.What are the advantages of using an Agent, and are there any good ones that can be trusted and what do they charge?

when does he have to apply to the university and go for an interview since he wants to start in the fall. what kind of balance should i have in my account, will $15,000 be sufficient?
Thank you in advance i know it is a lot of questions but i just want to get it right and the main contributors on here seem to know what they are doing.
Re: Travelling To Canada by guddylover(m): 4:26pm On Jan 13, 2011
@house,

Anyone with a detailed Statement of Purpose should please send me one: adeklyn1@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada by oxygyne(m): 4:47pm On Jan 13, 2011
Hello Lovely pips, happy 2011 ts going be an uplifting year for us all.

So I'm joining this thread cos i recently applied for my Master of Architecture degree program in the university of Manitoba and currently waiting for my admission letter cause i believe i would get it by God's grace.

i would appreciate any comments that might be helpful in terms of things to get prepared while waiting for my admission letter.

God bless you all.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cavad4real: 7:41pm On Jan 13, 2011
@All gurus,i sat for weac 2005 and got admission into a Nigeria University in 2006 and due to some challanges i paused in 2008.Do u think is wise to indicate that iam still in school?please i want to know whether the embassy will ask for my university result.Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by former: 8:49pm On Jan 13, 2011
Hello forumites, I applied for UK student visa and got rejected, they said my CAS is not valid which made me really confused, I'm not sure if i will consider the chance of administrative review given to me and from what I have been hearing and reading about UK, I don't think it's worth it, so I will give Canada a try. I have been exchanging mails with Internatinal College fo Manitoba, i kinda like the school and will like to enrol, i had my GCE waec O'level 2003 and 2004 (2 sittings) respectively. since then, JAMB and post jamb has not been favourable, you know how hard it is to gain admission in Nigeria, in 2009, I enroled to study part time in UNAD, but i quitted last year when i discovered it's a waste of time, hence, i have been trying the UK stuff, my admission requirments are supposed to be the WAEC results, and I also had TOEFL (scored 98). But I think i will be questioned what I've been doing since i left secondary school, and I don't wanna relate anything to my part time study programme, please what are my chances of getting visa. your reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cavad4real: 10:18pm On Jan 13, 2011
@former could u pls tell me the meaning of CAS.Thank u
Re: Travelling To Canada by mchuxx(m): 1:23am On Jan 14, 2011
@ Arlington U need to take the pain to search this thread or google for universities in canada. The province is not the major issue, what course is he applying? some schools waive toefl for Naija students. Tuition is what you search out from the schools website.

U can receive documentations for him and forward to him, if thats what u want.

Every thing u asked can be sought in this thread, so keep sarching and good luck
Re: Travelling To Canada by mchuxx(m): 1:42am On Jan 14, 2011
@former

U can apply, but find out if your WAEC/GCE grades meet the school requirement? You can show the embassy you have been studing maybe computer related, IT related as well. Just show you have not been idle and are still fit to go to school, u'll be fine.
Re: Travelling To Canada by binhozie(m): 1:56am On Jan 14, 2011
Please quick question:

For someone applying to study in canada this fall or even in may,
How much does he/she need to hold in his/her account, and more importantly for how long
PLS

ThANks!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Arlington(f): 2:12am On Jan 14, 2011
@Mchuxx I was asking specific questions to my own concerns not any other person. Indirectly you are saying don't ask questions just search the thread if that was the case i am sure this thread would have just 5 pages!
Re: Travelling To Canada by seedgie(m): 4:55am On Jan 14, 2011
@ delta pls hw many credits is one expect to have to process admission cos no body is talking about and apart from new foundland can u tell me of any other sch (universities) over there that accept 2.2 (my 1st geology) and does not require toefl. i am interested oil and and gas engineering/management. pls
Re: Travelling To Canada by seedgie(m): 4:59am On Jan 14, 2011
@ delta pls sory abt errors, hw many credits is one expected to have to process admission cos no body is talking about that and apart from new foundland can u tell me of any other sch (universities) over there that accept 2.2 (my 1st geology) and does not require toefl. i am interested in oil and and gas engineering/management. pls
Re: Travelling To Canada by former: 7:19am On Jan 14, 2011
@cavad4real, cas is something like an admission letter from a UK school for international students
@mchuxx, thanks for replying, but what if i don't have a certificate to show for it (the computer related program) and yes my O'level meets the college requirement.
I'm not sure if there's something like self sponsor, if my mum will sponsor me, how much money in naira should be in her account? and for how long?
thanks and God bless!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Phony200(m): 8:57am On Jan 14, 2011
Nice thread. I was wondering which recommendation is stronger, lecturer or employer. I sent in a package to Mcgill university and was wondering whether I made the right call. I used my dept HOD and one other lecturer.
Re: Travelling To Canada by DisGuy: 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Arlington:

Please I need some information/ help ASAP . I am trying to get my younger brother into Canada for schooling. He has applied to the USA where i live for visitation a while ago and was denied.
I don't want him going back there for schooling and they think it is a scam and just a way for him to enter the USA and he gets rejected .
He is currently at LASU studying part time which is just a waste of time , he had some issues with Jamb in the past so that made him stay at home for a while  before getting this part time study.
He is 25 years old, I am my husband will be his sponsor,My question is where do we start from ?

Will he have to write any exam like TOEFL? Where is usually the best place for him to look for schools in Canada that is not ridiculously expensive and neither a mushroom university Ontario or Alberta?
What are the cost's like? Does he have to pay a whole year in advance? From what i am reading here he will have to apply for the fall. Will be be better for me to apply for the school for him and they send me all the documents  in the USA and i send them to him, or him receiving them in Nigeria is better.What are the advantages of using an Agent, and are there any good ones that can be trusted and what do they charge?

when does he have to apply to the university and go for an interview  since he wants to start in the fall. what kind of balance should i have in my account, will $15,000  be sufficient?
Thank you in advance i know it is a lot of questions but i just want to get it right and the main contributors on here seem to know what they are doing.

Sorry I'm not too knowledgeable about Canadian student applications but these are some info i found online; hopefully others will chip in soon ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT JUST GOT THEIR VISA WITH HELP FROM THIS BOARD

Cost of Studying & Living in Canada

Studying in Canada is not free, but when compared to other western countries, it is very affordable. The overall cost for an international student to study in Canada depends on the student's own needs and 'lifestyle'. Each university has a different tuition level and each city has different living costs. Generally, though, it is estimated that students from abroad would need between CDN $15,000 and CDN $26,000, depending on their school and program.

B. Academic Studies (College/University)
Colleges and universities in Canada have a range of different tuition costs, depending on the program and the school that are chosen. For example, applied programs such as engineering and medical sciences are generally more expensive than non-applied studies. However, colleges are generally less costly compared to universities. Average academic tuition fees are as follows:

• College: CDN $9,000 – CDN $12,000 (per year)
• University Transfer Program (UTP): CDN $9,000 – CDN $12,000 (per year)
• University Foundations Program: CDN $9,000 – CDN $11,000 (per year)
• University: CDN $10,000 – CDN $16,000 (per year)
Re: Travelling To Canada by DisGuy: 5:54pm On Jan 14, 2011
I think the first thing he should consider is to

1) get a list of the course(s) he is interested in

2) get a list of universities that offer the course(s)

3) search for their requirements and if possible contact their admissions department via phone or email
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 6:22pm On Jan 14, 2011
Arlington:

He is currently at LASU studying part time which is just a waste of time , he had some issues with Jamb in the past so that made him stay at home for a while before getting this part time study.

To start from, you need to determine what he wants to study and how much you can afford - a starting point in terms of courses would be www.aucc.ca for a list of universities and courses.

There are good universities across the length of Canada (not the breadth though, unless you fancy some time in Nunavut grin). Your location in the US might be a good reference. If you are in the East/Mid-West, I'd suggest aiming for Ontario/Manitoba schools, but if you're in the West then BC and Alberta are the obvious choices.

You generally won't require TOEFL, but you need to check with the particular school involved - that should be the starting point.

What are the cost's like? Does he have to pay a whole year in advance? From what i am reading here he will have to apply for the fall. Will be be better for me to apply for the school for him and they send me all the documents in the USA and i send them to him, or him receiving them in Nigeria is better.What are the advantages of using an Agent, and are there any good ones that can be trusted and what do they charge?

For cost, Dis Guy has just posted a good indicator of what the fees are likely to involve. In terms of applying for the school, I'd suggest doing it through yourself in the US. This will make the clear connection when he applies for the Visa that you're the intending sponsor.

when does he have to apply to the university and go for an interview since he wants to start in the fall. what kind of balance should i have in my account, will $15,000 be sufficient?

$15,000 would be insufficient I think - CIC indicates you should have a minimum of 12 months tuition + $10,000 in your account (they request for 4 months worth of statements). For more information, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp

You can possibly get a fall place - it depends on the school's deadline and the processing time. You'll need to also consider how long it takes to get a visa appointment in Nigeria to meet up with the fall date - it often catches a lot of candidates out and they have to defer their admission. I would generally say take your time and don't rush it - plan to be ready to apply at least a year in advance. The website currently lists 9 weeks as the processing time for the visas in Nigeria, but recent applicants can give you a better idea.

Don't be in too much of a hurry and do your research properly before proceeding.

Wish you all the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Arlington(f): 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2011
Debosky and Dis Guy I am so grateful I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in replying me.
As you said I will not rush it, I will send him on here to see for him self then we will go from there.
Thank you once again.
Re: Travelling To Canada by vicidomini: 10:14pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Arlington thanks kuasky wink
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 9:14am On Jan 15, 2011
Phony200:

Nice thread. I was wondering which recommendation is stronger, lecturer or employer. I sent in a package to Mcgill university and was wondering whether I made the right call. I used my dept HOD and one other lecturer.

You made the right call. Academic recommendations are usually preferred for most regular programs.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Phony200(m): 2:11pm On Jan 15, 2011
^^Thanks. I'm also thinking of sending 1 or 2 more applications to other universities just to improve my chances. I'm qualified for the program I applied for in McGill but i'm worried my cgpa isn't so high (3.57) and mcgill is said to be very competitive. Do you think it's necessary? Thanks again.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2011
Phony200:

^^Thanks. I'm also thinking of sending 1 or 2 more applications to other universities just to improve my chances. I'm qualified for the program I applied for in McGill but i'm worried my cgpa isn't so high (3.57) and mcgill is said to be very competitive. Do you think it's necessary? Thanks again.

I think it is necessary. It was the same strategy I used. You have nothing to lose, and gives you a higher probability of securing an admission, esp if you're interested in the top schools.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.