Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,145 members, 7,887,324 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:46 AM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (145789 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 9:49am On Sep 23, 2013
My post:

Zikkyy:
Farmers sell portions of their harvest to purchase other goods and services they don't produce, God did not tell them to tithe from sales of their produce. The tithe was from increase in assets before it is sold.

Your response....

Joagbaje:
They were farmers by default. And what if the produce is unclean? Won't it be sold and money value given?

I agree that Jews can sell their goods. Since you don't agree that the israelite tithed only from assets, all you need to do is tell us where the scripture says proceed from sales is tithe-able.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Joagbaje(m): 9:57am On Sep 23, 2013
debosky:

Both? Please can you show me where Jesus is collecting both or said he would collect both? Where was this structure/collection outlined?
I was toeing your line. Okay . Tithing is not based on Levitical order or arrangement .but If you want to see the similarity. A local church recieves offerings and tithes, and pays 10% to headquarters church or if he is a G.O . He pays his church tithe to another G.O thst he is submitted to. And they rest us used for the running of the church etc.

Where did Jesus say 'ministers' should collect tithes as his representatives?

1corintihan 9 :13 gives the parallel .

Ah I see - the important thing is that we give the tithe, not the structure right? So if I give my tithe to the poor - does that qualify as giving to God under the following verse?

No , you give it through a minister , because he is anointed . Note that the tithe doesn't belong to the minister . He only function as official to pray over them and cause the blessing on Gods people. There is a giving to the poor which is alms giving . We must all do that. But the giving to God must be done through minister . Because of the anointing upon them.

Numbers 18:8
And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them[b] by reason of the anointing[/b]. .

Ezekiel 44:30
. . . .ye shall also give unto the priest the first of your dough, that he may cause the blessing to rest in thine house.

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I do that a lot ,it's one of the many different givings in Gods kingdom. We must do all of them.

I don't know - aren't you the one saying we're following Abraham's faith? Abraham wasn't recorded as giving 'offerings' (except of course for items such as the Ram sacrifice in replacement for Issac) so why should we do so if we are following Abraham's faith?

Tithes ,offerings, almsgiving ,prayer ,worship, fasting etc are all principles in Gods kingdom. They transcend dispensations . Principles are for ever . If you condemn tithing to God , you must condemn offerings and fasting and honoring your father and mother as well

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 9:57am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

Let me explain something to you. The levite ,priest etc are ministers to Gods people . The 5 fold ministry are ministers to Gods people .its as simple as that.

Meaning Sunday school teachers, house fellowship teachers, ushers, choir etc can administer the tithe since they are ministers as well. its as simple as that. grin grin cheesy yea right

No need to insults ,the word of God does not require fleshly abuse .

I'm sorry my bro. Didn't mean to insult you but I find your assertions to be very untrue.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 9:59am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagabje why you dey dodge na sad

see my comment.....

Zikkyy:
you are saying Israelite rearing horses, dog, carmel or snake were required to tithe?

read ya response below......

Joagbaje:
Yes they gave tithes and offerings of things needed in the tabernacle. There are other things that people couldn't bring . Like perishable things. For example mint and anise are backyard plants not cash crops. It's like tomatoe garden in your house.

Joagbaje, this is not good oh! you keep changing the item being discussed. what about my question on carmel, dog and snake na sad The scripture did not say that perishable goods should be given in kind, and we don't have example of anybody giving cash in exchange for his perishable goods. so what sayeth thee smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 10:00am On Sep 23, 2013
@Goshen 360

Pls I sent you a PM. Have you seen it?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Joagbaje(m): 10:10am On Sep 23, 2013
Candour:

Meaning Sunday school teachers, house fellowship teachers, ushers, choir etc can administer the tithe since they are ministers as well. its as simple as that. grin grin cheesy yea right

I'm talking about ordained ministers. Or whoever is delegated .
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 10:15am On Sep 23, 2013
Before i forget....

Joagbaje you told us that salary earners tithed. see ya post below.....

Joagbaje:
Tithe was given in cash and kind. How do you tithe from horses and dog sales, you bring the money of course . Do you bring horses or dogs as tithe ? Or Carmel or snakes . They only brought certain item which the temple requires . Other things are converted to money. They don't bring perishable things like tomatoes as tithe. They sell them and gave tithes of the income. Salary earners tithed!

Luke 18:12
I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income. '

i requested for scriptures where God told the Israelite to tithe from sales or that salary earners tithed. You came back with the comment below....

Joagbaje:
Where were they exempted. The Jews were farmers by default.

If Jews were farmers by default, are you now saying they don't tithe from income or salary anymore?

Luke 18:12 (KJV)
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Luke 18:12 (NIV)
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 10:15am On Sep 23, 2013
DrummaBoy: @Goshen 360

Pls I sent you a PM. Have you seen it?

I didn't see it ooo. Email me directly naw.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by debosky(m): 10:16am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:
I was toeing your line. Okay . Tithing is not based on Levitical order or arrangement .but If you want to see the similarity. A local church recieves offerings and tithes, and pays 10% to headquarters church or if he is a G.O . He pays his church tithe to another G.O thst he is submitted to. And they rest us used for the running of the church etc.

That is a human arrangement bros - I asked for biblical reference for Jesus' description of who receives what tithes. If you don't have one, please say so.

1corintihan 9 :13 gives the parallel .

No - the passage above talks about getting support from the house. They are entitled to support as a result of their service, not because they are God's representatives. It makes no mention of tithes but instead references that which is crucial - support for those who serve.

No , you give it through a minister , because he is anointed . Note that the tithe doesn't belong to the minister . He only function as official to pray over them and cause the blessing on Gods people. There is a giving to the poor which is alms giving . We must all do that. But the giving to God must be done through minister . Because of the anointing upon them.

And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them[b] by reason of the anointing[/b]. .

Ezekiel 44:30
. . . .ye shall also give unto the priest the first of your dough, that he may cause the blessing to rest in thine house.

Why are you referring to practices under the law here? I thought you said we don't tithe according to the law? So why are you quoting requirements from the Levitical priesthood? And I see you bringing in give to the priest so he can bless you. I thought we are following Abram's example, where he tithed AFTER the priest blessed him? cheesy

I do that a lot ,it's one of the many different givings in Gods kingdom. We must do all of them.

What are the many 'different givings'? Can you list them so we can be sure we do them all?

Tithes ,offerings, almsgiving ,prayer ,worship, fasting etc are all principles in Gods kingdom. They transcend dispensations . Principles are for ever . If you condemn tithing to God , you must condemn offerings and fasting and honoring your father and mother as well

No - tithing is not a principle, giving is. Whether you tithe and/OR give offerings, you have given - that is what the principle is.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Joagbaje(m): 10:17am On Sep 23, 2013
Zikkyy: Joagabje why you dey dodge na

Joagbaje, this is not good oh! you keep changing the item being discussed. what about my question on carmel, dog and snake na sad The scripture did not say that perishable goods should be given in kind, and we don't have example of anybody giving cash in exchange for his perishable goods. so what sayeth thee smiley

The point is simple . God demanded what is required in the tabernacle or temple for the running,upkeep of the work and welfare of ministers there. But whatever is not usable is redeemed with money and 20% extra is added. Either it's unclean plant or unclean animal. So Cash giving was optional. You either give the animal or plant or redeem it with cash it's left to you.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 10:18am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

No problems Joagbaje grin grin cheesy

At least folks who hitherto didn't fully understand their bibles can come to this thread to get some answers. You being a pastor, no one expects you to give up this cash cow without a fight no matter how dirty.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 10:21am On Sep 23, 2013
Goshen360:

I didn't see it ooo. Email me directly naw.

I will do that now. Check in 5 min

Sent
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 10:29am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

Kindly let us know who ordained your oga at the top "Pastor" chris oyakhilome and while you are at it kindly let us know when he was ordained as well.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 10:31am On Sep 23, 2013
@Joagbaje angry

Again my comment was a reaction to the post below........

Joagbaje:
Tithe was given in cash and kind. How do you tithe from horses and dog sales, you bring the money of course . Do you bring horses or dogs as tithe ? Or Carmel or snakes . They only brought certain item which the temple requires . Other things are converted to money. They don't bring perishable things like tomatoes as tithe. They sell them and gave tithes of the income. Salary earners tithed!

..my comment below....

Zikkyy:
na wa oh! please read again God's definition of tithe below:

32 "Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord."

Joagbaje are telling us that every tenth dog, carmel and snake that passes under the shepherd's rod is holy to the Lord

Your response...........Lol! grin

Joagbaje:
Did Abraham pass the booty under the rod?

My response to this is as follows:

1. The tithe to Melchizedek, was it proceeds from the sale of dog, carmel and snake?
2. Did scripture say Abraham took certain items to Melchizedek temple?
3. was perishable items like Tomatoes part of the war booty?
4. do we have record of Abraham selling tomatoes and giving a tenth of the sales to melchizedek?

If you answered NO to the questions above, we can't be discussing Abraham and your initial post about tithing snake, dog and tomatoes cannot be referenced to Abraham's tithe. Joagbaje please take a stand on tithe so we understand you. Thanks
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MostHigh: 10:36am On Sep 23, 2013
Goshen360:

grin

I just love the systematic delivery of yours, exposing their hypocrisy. We, anti tithers, have given them enough proof but their falsehood will never allow them see the truth.

Lawless son of a lawless father. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 10:43am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:
The importtant thing is thst we give God our tithe. the structure if collection is not the issue. the structure in the days if abrahsm was not exactly thesame under the law. We are not giving tithes according to the law or levitical structure .

Who decides the structure? God or man? we know the structure under Levitical priesthood was decided/designed by God and that is why it is known as God's tithe and holy to the Lord. We also know that God scrapped the structure existing in the days of Abraham when he instituted the structure under Levitical order.

There is no scripture that says we can go back to and practice the proceed of tithing war booty abi? so, since you continue to claim that modern day (pastoral) tithe is God's tithe, Who provided the structure? Pastor or God?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by debosky(m): 10:48am On Sep 23, 2013
Zikky stop copying my questions jo. angry

Zikkyy:
so, since you continue to claim that modern day (pastoral) tithe is God's tithe, Who provided the structure? Pastor or God?

debosky:
That is a human arrangement bros - I asked for biblical reference for Jesus' description of who receives what tithes. If you don't have one, please say so.

debosky:
Please can you show me where Jesus is collecting both or said he would collect both? Where was this structure/collection outlined?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 11:02am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:
No , you give it through a minister , because he is anointed .

we can also give the tithe through the minister's sons, because they are the minister's sons....

Numbers 18:8 (KJV)
8 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing,
and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever.

Abi na?

Joagbaje:
There is a giving to the poor which is alms giving . We must all do that. But the giving to God must be done through minister .

Joagabje, are you saying we are not giving to God when we give to the poor?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Joagbaje(m): 11:04am On Sep 23, 2013
debosky:

If you have something to teach ,just teach it.

No - the passage above talks about getting support from the house. They are entitled to support as a result of their service, not because they are God's representatives. It makes no mention of tithes but instead references that which is crucial - support for those who serve.

Anyone one devoted to full time ministry work Require support for his work sake. The primary source of support for the terbernacle is in tithes and offerings.

Why are you referring to practices under the law here? I thought you said we don't tithe according to the law? So why are you quoting requirements from the Levitical priesthood? And I see you bringing in give to the priest so he can bless you. I thought we are following Abram's example, where he tithed AFTER the priest blessed him? cheesy

Certain principles in Gods kingdom are revealed in the law. I only try to illustrate the reason why tithes shouldn't go to the poor. The ministers are anointed either in the old or New Testament to bless Gods people. The poor cant bless Gods people. But we give them what is called alms . And God bless us for it.

What are the many 'different givings'? Can you list them so we can be sure we do them all?

I may not remember them all. Giving to parents for example . Honoring them with substance . Carry it's own blessing . Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for missing this out, because they teach people that once you give to God you don't need to give to patents. The point is ,one giving doesn't not supplant the other .

Mark 7:11-12
But [as for you] you say, A man is exempt if he tells [his] father or [his] mother, What you would otherwise have gained from me [everything I have that would have been of use to you] is Corban, that is, is a gift [already given as an offering to God],
Then you no longer are permitting him to do anything for [his] father or mother [but are letting him off from helping them].

So even if they give to God ,they must give to parents too. Because honoring parents is a principle which has its own blessing also. Before the law ,in the law and after the law .

No - tithing is not a principle, giving is. Whether you tithe and/OR give offerings, you have given - that is what the principle is.

Giving is a principle , offering is a principle. Tithing is, prayer is, fasting ,worship is, honoring your parent is . Alms for the poor is. All of them have their blessing

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 11:06am On Sep 23, 2013
debosky:

Good question smiley

Oya, joagabaje over to you angry
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:14am On Sep 23, 2013
I fast G3522 twice G1364 in the week, G4521 I give tithes G586 of all G3956 that G3745 I possess. G2932 - Luke 18:12

The word, 'possess' in the Greek is the Greek numbering style (for word study) # G2932. It is the word, ktaomai, a verb (an action word) and it means, to acquire, get, or procure a thing for one's self, to possess, to marry a wife.

For reference to Online Concordance, find it here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2932&t=KJV

It never meant or included 'income' as some will have us believe. Of all that I possess - YOUR WIFE or HUSBAND inclusive, do you tithe your wife or husband. Ah, I forgot, another one said, "he tithe his prayer, time, studying the word etc". I'm very sure he tithe his bathing too. cheesy

And the word tithe in that verse is the Greek word, apodekatoō, also a verb and it means, to give, pay a tithe of anything; to exact receive a tenth from anyone.

Therefore, put these two word meanings back into the context or verse and it reads thus:

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes give, pay a tithe of anything; exact receive a tenth from anyone of all that I possess acquire, get, or procure for myself, possess, a wife.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Luk&c=18&v=12&t=KJV&ss=0#s=991012

Glory to God!!!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Joagbaje(m): 11:30am On Sep 23, 2013
Candour:

No problems Joagbaje grin grin cheesy

At least folks who hitherto didn't fully understand their bibles can come to this thread to get some answers. You being a pastor, no one expects you to give up this cash cow without a fight no matter how dirty.

Cheers

Pls don't insult me . I don't live by people tithe. I have my business and i guve to God and I give to people. If you can't discuss without getting personal ,I may not respond to you again . Cheers
Re: Tithes And Offerings by debosky(m): 11:31am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:
Anyone one devoted to full time ministry work Require support for his work sake. The primary source of support for the terbernacle is in tithes and offerings.

Can you show us where Paul (or others in the NT) said his support came from tithes and offerings?

Certain principles in Gods kingdom are revealed in the law. I only try to illustrate the reason why tithes shouldn't go to the poor. The ministers are anointed either in the old or New Testament to bless Gods people. The poor cant bless Gods people. But we give them what is called alms . And God bless us for it.

If a principle is revealed in the law, it should be confirmed outside of the law else we cannot really take hold of it properly. If not, people may say not eating pork is a 'principle' because it is revealed in the law, or wearing mixed fabric clothes is a 'principle' and so on.

Where are we taught to give to 'ministers' in the NT in order to be blessed?

Again I ask, if you are following Abram's example of faith as you claim, shouldn't you follow his example in tithe - blessing before tithing, not tithing in order to secure blessing? Which are you following?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Alwaystrue(f): 11:37am On Sep 23, 2013
grin @Joe,
I am not sure you have noticed how far this people have gone to prove what was scriptural proven to be a spiritual principle, as having no links on their human understanding. They even rejected the wholesome word of Jesus on it despite the fact He spoke about love, faith and mercy together.
Even when my last post stated per Exodus, the whole nation of Israel to be as peculiar and priests yet they tithed, they still did not get it.
When faith is not mixed with the word, it has no profit, don't you get? Resorting to such level of personal attacks should not surprise you therefore.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by debosky(m): 11:42am On Sep 23, 2013
Alwaystrue: grin @Joe,
I am not sure you have noticed how far this people have gone to prove what was scriptural proven to be a spiritual principle as having no links. They even rejected the wholesome word of Jesus on it despite the fact He spoke about love, faith and mercy together.

I have a question for you regarding the wholesome word of Jesus. Jesus said the following:

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you.

Are you doing everything the Pharisees instructed people to do? (Please remember that it the wholesome word of Jesus too).
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 11:48am On Sep 23, 2013
Goshen360: I fast G3522 twice G1364 in the week, G4521 I give tithes G586 of all G3956 that G3745 I possess. G2932 - Luke 18:12

The word, 'possess' in the Greek is the Greek numbering style (for word study) # G2932. It is the word, ktaomai, a verb (an action word) and it means, to acquire, get, or procure a thing for one's self, to possess, to marry a wife.

For reference to Online Concordance, find it here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2932&t=KJV

It never meant or included 'income' as some will have us believe. Of all that I possess - YOUR WIFE or HUSBAND inclusive, do you tithe your wife or husband. Ah, I forgot, another one said, "he tithe his prayer, time, studying the word etc". I'm very sure he tithe his bathing too. cheesy

And the word tithe in that verse is the Greek word, apodekatoō, also a verb and it means, to give, pay a tithe of anything; to exact receive a tenth from anyone.

Therefore, put these two word meanings back into the context or verse and it reads thus:

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes give, pay a tithe of anything; exact receive a tenth from anyone of all that I possess acquire, get, or procure for myself, possess, a wife.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Luk&c=18&v=12&t=KJV&ss=0#s=991012

Glory to God!!!

But Goshen, we must give credit to Joagbaje who was able to find one person who tithed his possession (even though such possesssion could include wife, etc). The only problem with that example, however, is that the only person who tithed his possessions in the NT would be a pharisee!

This Luke 18:12 scripture therefore fits the discussions of Jesus perfectly in Matthew 23:23 where our Lord is quoted as saying "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Jesus was saying in effect: Moses laws said you should tithe and tithe in this manner (Leviticus 27; Numbers 18); but you guys, the pharisees, have taken tithing to such crass legalistic levels that now you tithe mints, annise, and cummins; you are so committed to the letter of the laws that you miss the Spirit of it: Judgement, Mercy and Faith... and of course, I will not break the law by telling not to tithe, but take heed to the more weighty matters of the law.

This example shows us that when men are so committed to the letter of the law, they take it to levels the law never intended and thereby miss the Spirit of it. But thanks be to God, that the whole letter of Moses laws are abolished in the cross of Jesus 2 Corinthians 3:6-7:

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

If those who want to continue to tithe, have only a pharisee(!) as an example ofsomeone who tithed in the NT, that is just fine with me. But they should remember that the pharisee have their records in red in the scriptures: Satan used them to crucify the Lord of glory. Also, when religion deteriorates like it had happened in the days of Jesus, we begin to have more people like the pharisees and saduccees, than the penitent man Jesus was speaking about in Luke 18 or like our Lord Himself.

I give kudos to Joagbaje for finding someone who tithed his income/possessions/wife in the NT. I encourage you to continue to be like him.

The word translated "possessions" in Luke 18:12 is ktaomai, and it appears 7 times in the KJV. Other places it was used are listed below; note: they are the words in bold:

Matthew 10:9,
9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,

Luke 18:12,
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess

Luke 21:19,
19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

Acts 1:18,
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Acts 8:20,
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
(this particular verse is quite instructive for Seed Sowers today)

Acts 22:28,
28 And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.

1 Thessalonians 4:4
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

I leave you to draw the required conclusions from the above.

Cheers.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Alwaystrue(f): 11:50am On Sep 23, 2013
debosky:

I have a question for you regarding the wholesome word of Jesus. Jesus said the following:

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you.

Are you doing everything the Pharisees instructed people to do? (Please remember that it the wholesome word of Jesus too).

@debo, leave yarn for another day na. After all, you did not pick the wholesomeness of Jesus complete words and the entire context....THEY SAY THINGS BUT 'THEY DO NOT DO THEM'. The pharisee's did not do as they should. They pick here and leave there, they did not have the heart to carry out even the law as it should be done. The law was not the issue, their interpretation was where the issue was. Their heart was not in what they did....FAITH! That was what Jesus was trying to bring out....the truth! No dey look at the letter of things abeg.
Thanks and wish you the best in whatever you chose to do. wink

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 11:57am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

Pls don't insult me . I don't live by people tithe. I have my business and i guve to God and I give to people. If you can't discuss without getting personal ,I may not respond to you again . Cheers

Eyya...this is what I wanted to avoid by resisting joining this particular conversation grin.

Joagbaje, pls accept my unreserved apology for any insult you might have felt.

My sister Alwaystrue, you and I have had discussions here and you know my style and I know yours at least to some extent. Its not my style to insult people no matter how we may disagree. Any insult you feel was not intended.

Cheers
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Alwaystrue(f): 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2013
Candour:

My sister Alwaystrue, you and I have had discussions here and you know my style and I know yours at least to some extent. Its not my style to insult people no matter how we may disagree. Any insult you feel was not intended.

Cheers
Lol. Oh you do? No wahala. We can pass messages across in love and on the word strictly. Thanks and have a great day.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:
The point is simple . God demanded what is required in the tabernacle or temple for the running,upkeep of the work and welfare of ministers there.

No wahala

Joagbaje:
But whatever is not usable is redeemed with money and 20% extra is added. Either it's unclean plant or unclean animal. So Cash giving was optional.

@bolded, the issue of redeeming un-usable items relate to vows only. it has nothing to do with tithe. God was specific in the items he wanted as tithe. It was based on on eat-able items and that was why he instructed that the tithe be given to the Levites for their living.

Joagbaje:
But whatever is not usable is redeemed with money and 20% extra is added. Either it's unclean plant or unclean animal.

note the following:

1. items are not redeemed because they are not usable, they are redeemed because the giver probably see value in holding on to them.
2. It is not compulsory that items not usable be redeemed (unless the giver suddenly become fond of that item and want to keep/retain it). The process is that unclean items are given to the priest who shall place a value on them for the purpose of selling it. The giver is not forced to redeem the unclean vow/offering. It is a choice, the item belong to the priest to decide if he want to sell in the market.

Leviticus 27:11-13 (NIV)
11 If what they vowed is a ceremonially unclean animal—one that is not acceptable as an offering to the Lord—the animal must be presented to the priest, 12 who will judge its quality as good or bad. Whatever value the priest then sets, that is what it will be. 13
If the owner wishes to redeem the animal, a fifth must be added to its value.

Please note the bit in blue. Redeeming an unclean animal is an option, it is not a must.

Joagbaje:
But whatever is not usable is redeemed with money and 20% extra is added.

as stated above, redeeming your vows/tithe is not based on usability. in the case of tithe the 20% penalty brings the total tithe cost to 12%. meaning nobody paid cash of 10% cash in the bible. wonder why pastors insist on 10% today. are they giving discount?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by debosky(m): 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2013
@Alwaystrue

It seems you've refused to answer a simple question - do you obey the wholesome word of Jesus that I quoted (incidentally from the same passage as the earlier wholesome word)? Surely it's simple enough to answer?

You said I did not 'pick the wholesomeness of Jesus complete words and the entire context' (Whatever that means Lol)? Remember when you claimed that I was harping on frequency when I told you it was the context mattered? Maybe I was picking it after all. cheesy

Now you say what Jesus was 'trying to bring out' is the truth? According to your earlier post, he was 'affirming' tithing. I am just struggling to see how one 'affirmation' in verse 23 is different from the 'affirmation' in verse 2.

No wahala ma, I hope that other day will meet us both well. Wish you all the best as well. wink
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Zikkyy(m): 12:03pm On Sep 23, 2013
debosky:
Zikky stop copying my questions jo. angry

My brother no vex. Joagabje can make you do funny things.

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (141) (Reply)

Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / Pastor U. Uden Dennis Arrested Over Sunday Service In Abuja / Serah Joshua And Promise Joshua: TB Joshua's Daughters (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.