Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,193 members, 7,950,127 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 08:56 AM

Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded (20885 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Kogi APC Torn Apart, Audu Adopted For Polls / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
texazzpete:

I despise and abhor tribalism and ethnic bias...I thank God that I come from a 'minority' tribe so I don't have to take sides in this inanity.
However, i am firmly convinced that 99% of the other posters here are making these jibes good-naturedly. Many of these yoruba guys here have igbo girlfriends and vice versa for some of our outspoken Igbo brothers.

However, there are a few here that i'm 100% convinced are dead serious in their hatred. Dede1 is the most prominent of these. I will stand against such people...and for now, he will suffice as the face of generational hatred on Nairaland.
I'm taking no sides here. I find Damola's arguments to be quite convincing and if my challenges towards my Igbo brothers here will make their attempts at rebuttals lean more towards logic than insults, all the better.

How the heck is this a 'generalization' or a stereotype (the word i used)? Did I say "all Igbos are coup plotters"?
From the events of that day, the casualties recorded and the key members of the plot, holding a position that the coup was 'Igbo led' or 'had an igbo supremacist agenda' may not be far-fetched.
These refer to the coup plotters and not every man, woman and child of Igbo extraction.

I do not give a hoot about what rocks your boat. It is very unwise to make a statement of fact with slight knowledge of what you vomit. My best friend to date is a Yoruba chap but such relationship does not stop me or him from articulating the essence of nation states out of Nigeria. I had wanted Republic of Igbo land. If you are twisted out of human form because of my nationalistic zeal, I can not help you. Some wonderful parts of my life time were spent in Yoruba land and in so doing had family friends of Yoruba ancestry that still hold till date.

When growing up, there are values my parents inculcated in me such as uprightness and fairness. I do not pull paunches especially on the issues surrounding the deceitful nature of Nigeria. The inhuman approach to Nigeria\Biafra civil war had constituted the amalgam of my political philosophy in the cesspit called Nigeria. Nothing will bring more joy in life than to see the disintegration of Nigeria. If I have the wherewithal, Nigeria will not survive a day on my watch. Remember I am not oblivious to the numerous craps you posted on this forum and do not think for a moment I am that forgetful.

Please I suggest you shove your idea of “despise and abhor tribalism and ethnic bias as well as coming from minority tribe”. By the way, I shall not give a dirty ratazz to the impression you have formed about me. If hate is a natural phenomenon, I guess there is palatable reason for my indulgence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 12:56pm On Feb 15, 2013
naijababe:

Dede1, what is it with you and half truths! Have you forgotten the part where the same Akinjide on becoming minister found out that close to 80% of the recipients of the federal schorlarship were Igbo? Or the part where Azikiwe chose to foist Dr Anieke - a certificate forger who had erstwhile been forced to resign from U.I as head of the teaching hospital on the same U.I as the chairman of the University's governing council?!

I guess you sounded very unintelligent out of the block with the above post. You have every right to believe anything you want. However, you should also bear in mind that beliefs are not translation of truths or factual facts. It is your cherished headache to dwell on statements from a character such as Richard Akinjide who has been known as a person that could not separate seeds from the chaffs even when his life depended on such endeavor.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2013
naijababe:

Dede1, what is it with you and half truths! Have you forgotten the part where the same Akinjide on becoming minister found out that close to 80% of the recipients of the federal schorlarship were Igbo? Or the part where Azikiwe chose to foist Dr Anieke - a certificate forger who had erstwhile been forced to resign from U.I as head of the teaching hospital on the same U.I as the chairman of the University's governing council?!

Don't be silly, haven't you heard that Igbos are the most intelligent folks in the world and hence deserve more than 80% of scholarship beneficiaries? If it were up to me, it would have been 97%. Also, aren't you aware that Anieke's forged certificate was planted by Yoruba Navy seals in a bid to discredit him? grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 2:17pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

I guess you sounded very unintelligent out of the block with the above post. You have every right to believe anything you want. However, you should also bear in mind that beliefs are not translation of truths or factual facts. It is your cherished headache to dwell on statements from a character such as Richard Akinjide who has been known as a person that could not separate seeds from the chaffs even when his life depended on such endeavor.

I guess she didn't realise that you would ignore the valid points she raised and instead proceed with entertaining us with other 'relevant' information. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by nku5: 2:30pm On Feb 15, 2013
texazzpete:

I despise and abhor tribalism and ethnic bias...I thank God that I come from a 'minority' tribe so I don't have to take sides in this inanity.
However, i am firmly convinced that 99% of the other posters here are making these jibes good-naturedly. Many of these yoruba guys here have igbo girlfriends and vice versa for some of our outspoken Igbo brothers.

However, there are a few here that i'm 100% convinced are dead serious in their hatred. Dede1 is the most prominent of these. I will stand against such people...and for now, he will suffice as the face of generational hatred on Nairaland.
I'm taking no sides here. I find Damola's arguments to be quite convincing and if my challenges towards my Igbo brothers here will make their attempts at rebuttals lean more towards logic than insults, all the better.

How the heck is this a 'generalization' or a stereotype (the word i used)? Did I say "all Igbos are coup plotters"?
From the events of that day, the casualties recorded and the key members of the plot, holding a position that the coup was 'Igbo led' or 'had an igbo supremacist agenda' may not be far-fetched.
These refer to the coup plotters and not every man, woman and child of Igbo extraction.

I am very happy you dont condone tribalism. My take is you have been convinced by the arguments of the author, many igbo people reading through have reservations about it for obvious reasons. The author without a doubt says it was an "igbo" coup and unless i'm wrong that is a generalisation because he didnt specify that there was a difference between igbo coup plotters and the igbo race. Innocent igbos died in their tens of thousands before the first shot of the war was fired in progroms in 1966 because of these sort of generalisations and as the neutral man you say you are, there is a moral obligation to make this point clear no matter who is speaking igbo or not.

In my opinion, the article takes off with a lot of fancy language and carries on alleging endlessly, depending on the stereotype that already exists about igbos. I didnt see him provide any concrete references for the facts he rolled out . The internet can be used by EVERY type of character (genius liars inclusive)to vent personal opinions to millions like never before.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by texazzpete(m): 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
nku5:

I am very happy you dont condone tribalism. My take is you have been convinced by the arguments of the author, many igbo people reading through have reservations about it for obvious reasons. The author without a doubt says it was an "igbo" coup and unless i'm wrong that is a generalisation because he didnt specify that there was a difference between igbo coup plotters and the igbo race. Innocent igbos died in their tens of thousands before the first shot of the war was fired in progroms in 1966 because of these sort of generalisations and as the neutral man you say you are, there is a moral obligation to make this point clear no matter who is speaking igbo or not.

In my opinion, the article takes off with a lot of fancy language and carries on alleging endlessly, depending on the stereotype that already exists about igbos. I didnt see him provide any concrete references for the facts he rolled out . The internet can be used by EVERY type of character (genius liars inclusive)to vent personal opinions to millions like never before.

I am happy you understand where I'm coming from.
I am also quite shocked that you say you did not see any concrete facts therein. He quotes Azikiwe and Nwakanma. He provides excerpts from confidential US diplomatic cables. He shows that Achebe's account of meeting that foreign head of state cannot possibly be factual. He punctures Achebe's attempts to dissociate Nzeogwu from the Igbo tribe. He shows how Achebe highlights Igbo suffering and glosses over the suffering of others.

There ARE concrete facts in his article.

6 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
Duduknight:

I guess she didn't realise that you would ignore the valid points she raised and instead proceed with entertaining us with other 'relevant' information. grin grin grin grin

Negro nuts,

I shall not get into debate with you and naijababe over Dr Sylvester Anieke because I have grown to understand that any position, in Nigeria especially in Yoruba land, filled with non-Yoruba, the candidate or the person automatically becomes quark and unqualified in the eyes of Yoruba peeps. So the case of Dr Sylvester Anieke as the Chairman in Council (governing council) of University of Ibadan was no exception.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 3:24pm On Feb 15, 2013
Kamanda:

Reading this article just made me so sad.I lost every shred of respect I had for Mr Achebe.

And it's such a terible shame that a Mod on Nigeria's most influential website will reduce himself to an irrational Brainless nitwit out of ethnic bigotry.

If Mr Seun has any sence he should drop that Afam4ever guy as a Mod.Shame.
Waiting for your lousy ban.

You have been banned for 4 years!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 3:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
texazzpete:

I am also quite shocked that you say you did not see any concrete facts therein. He quotes Azikiwe and Nwakanma. He provides excerpts from confidential US diplomatic cables. He shows that Achebe's account of meeting that foreign head of state cannot possibly be factual. He punctures Achebe's attempts to dissociate Nzeogwu from the Igbo tribe. He shows how Achebe highlights Igbo suffering and glosses over the suffering of others.

The document written by this half-baked westerner is an excercise in pitiful self denial. Achebe's work is da bomb, how can I get Achebe's new book in Nigeria.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 3:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Negro nuts,

I shall not get into debate with you and naijababe over Dr Sylvester Anieke because I have grown to understand that any position, in Nigeria especially in Yoruba land, filled with non-Yoruba, the candidate or the person automatically becomes quark and unqualified in the eyes of Yoruba peeps. So the case of Dr Sylvester Anieke as the Chairman in Council (governing council) of University of Ibadan was no exception.

On this thread, you have tried, in vain I might add, to dispel certain positions which you believe to be false or incorrect. Why stop now? Please tell us why you believe Anieke was not a forger. Was Anieke not appointed by Zik despite having been made to leave his prior appointment at UI in a scandal?

And I am not Negro_ntns.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 3:32pm On Feb 15, 2013
texazzpete:

Of course, you have developed the niche to term anything anti-Igbo as concrete facts. If the author does not possess the intellect of a third grader to different facts from frictions even when such goofy craps emanate from few deluded Igbo, the author can not be absolved of inherent display of stupidity. Citing Obi Nwakanma’s statement about Okigbo running of guns does not constitute an iota of fact. The era in discussion was far from today’s era of Internet and video phones. It is insult on the people who ran Biafra to sinuate Okigbo, who had no previous training on weaponry, should be sent on journey to purchase weapons for Biafra. Who should be blamed if Okigbo bought logs of wood for Bazookas?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 3:46pm On Feb 15, 2013
Duduknight:

On this thread, you have tried, in vain I might add, to dispel certain positions which you believe to be false or incorrect. Why stop now? Please tell us why you believe Anieke was not a forger. Was Anieke not appointed by Zik despite having been made to leave his prior appointment at UI in a scandal?

And I am not Negro_ntns.

Wow!!! Did you write this form of Negro_ntns? You could not be more correct. It must be a coincidental aura.

I guess Prof. Eni Njoku was fraud too. Because it was the same band of tribal irredentists from Yoruba land that wanted VC of Unilag removed because the professor was not the son of soil. When Dr. Sylvester Anieke was a lecturer at UI, he was qualified and not a quark. The moment Dr Sylvester Anieke was elevated to the position of the chairman of the governing council of University of Ibadan, with another Igbo man as VC, his forged certificate was manufactured overnight. Thanks goodness I lived in Yoruba land. I do not fall for your deceit.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by joeyfire(m): 4:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
Could someone please give any links to the US cables that informed the writer of this article that azikiwe's personal bodyguard was the team that supported ifeajuna in the 1966 coup. I think its a load of stinking BS.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by hercules07: 5:15pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Negro nuts,

Bros go and read Wole Soyinka's Ibadan the penkelemes years, you will find the story of Anieke there, you will also find Okpara helping the AG when it dawned on him that the NPC were up to no good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by hercules07: 5:18pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Wow!!! Did you write this form of Negro_ntns? You could not be more correct. It must be a coincidental aura.

I guess Prof. Eni Njoku was fraud too. Because it was the same band of tribal irredentists from Yoruba land that wanted VC of Unilag removed because the professor was not the son of soil. When Dr. Sylvester Anieke was a lecturer at UI, he was qualified and not a quark. The moment Dr Sylvester Anieke was elevated to the position of the chairman of the governing council of University of Ibadan, with another Igbo man as VC, his forged certificate was manufactured overnight. Thanks goodness I lived in Yoruba land. I do not fall for your deceit.

Actually he was relieved of his appointment, it was Zik who brought him back to UI, guess who was the VC of UI, yep an Igbo man whom many Yoruba lecturers promised to standby if he resigns due to the imposition of Anieke.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Negro nuts,

next time you address my name and leave out "Chief", i will raze your village down. yeye angry

i have three names, Chief Negro_Ntns; Odua_Negro and Dudu_Negro. the last one is close with DuduKnight but we are different people.

to those trying to educate dede on fair and balance, you are talking to a mute. you will succeed much quicker with relief converting almajiri to catholicism than you would educating dede on truths. biafrans like him earn their living from the continued controversy. the day the controversy ends their paycheck will dry up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by TonySpike: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

next time you address my name and leave out "Chief", i will raze your village down. yeye angry

i have three names, Chief Negro_Ntns; Odua_Negro and Dudu_Negro. the last one is close with DuduKnight but we are different people.

to those trying to educate dede on fair and balance, you are talking to a mute. you will succeed much quicker with relief converting almajiri to catholicism than you would educating dede on truths. biafrans like him earn their living from the continued controversy. the day the controversy ends their paycheck will dry up.

Baa mi!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 5:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tony Spike:

Baa mi!

ah, alaiye Tony,.... grin. how things?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Twisting facts to suit your line of argument is not new to your ilk, carry go jo, nothing do you grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 5:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
hercules07:

Bros go and read Wole Soyinka's Ibadan the penkelemes years, you will find the story of Anieke there, you will also find Okpara helping the AG when it dawned on him that the NPC were up to no good.

Bros, I knew about the coalition formed between NCNC and AG. It was not just Okpara. Even the plan to quench the miserable life of Awolowo in Nigerian prisons in Bauchi was thwarted.

As for the case of “The Penkelemes Years: A memoir by Wole Soyinka, I shall not bother to read it because of the respect I have for Wole.

However, Dr Sylvester Anieke was no quark or fraud but caught in the usual tribal politics of Nigeria. If Dr Sylvester Anieke was Yoruba, this instance would not have arisen. Besides, what were the qualifications of Dr. Biabiaku(sp) who became VC of Unlig?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

The talk about razing down a village reminds me boastfulness is inherent. I shall add Otumba and Asiwaju too.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2013
Duduknight:

Don't be silly, haven't you heard that Igbos are the most intelligent folks in the world and hence deserve more than 80% of scholarship beneficiaries? If it were up to me, it would have been 97%. Also, aren't you aware that Anieke's forged certificate was planted by Yoruba Navy seals in a bid to discredit him? grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are absolutely correct! Dede1 just told above that it was manufactured overnight! Me kearn shout grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by ACM10: 6:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
dayokanu:

The coupist who were so on point in every other region suddenly lost their marksmanship and bungled it when in their own region.

Im sure a 5yr old can call bullshiit on that statement
It happens!
Obasanjo was marked for liquidation in 1977 coup but escaped. . .
Babangida escaped Orkar coup with his life. . .
So, the case of Michael Okpara was not different from the above two instances.

Let me use this opportunity to attend to some of your lies that Igbos killed all the leaders of the other regions in January 1966 coup. Only fifteen people died in the coup. The civilians among them were well known to people of that era as corrupt politicians, hence the celebration in some parts of Nigeria. They are:

1. Alhaji Sir Tafawa Balewa
2. Chief Okotie-Eboh
3. Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello
4. Chief Akintola
5 Mrs Ademelegun(wife of brigadier Ademelegun)
6. Brigadier Ademelegun
7. Brigadier Maimalari
8. Colonel Mohammed
9. Colonel Sodeinde
10. Lt col. Unegbe
11. Lt col. Pam
12. Lt col. Largema
13. Major Adegoke
14. 2nd Lt Oduh
15. An unidentified soldier

I'm waiting for someone to provide an evidence that Igbo civilians killed their fellow Nigerians.

The coup was a surgical strike to forcibly remove the retrogressive elements of the Nigerian politics. The coupists did not hunt down the supporters of the kiled politicians. Which is a norm in other coups.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 7:32pm On Feb 15, 2013
[quote author=ACM10]
It happens!
Obasanjo was marked for liquidation in 1977 coup but escaped. . .
Babangida escaped Orkar coup with his life. . .
So, the case of Michael Okpara was not different from the above two instances.

[quote author=ACM10]

Can you then explain how come Major Ifeajuna and Major Okafor were having tea with

the same Dr. M.Okpara, who was supposed to have escaped their coup plot, at 14:15 on jan 15th 1966?

I have a funny feeling you have finally make good on your promise and finally visited your g/mother's

library in your village grin

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 7:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
naijababe:

You are absolutely correct! Dede1 just told above that it was manufactured overnight! Me kearn shout grin grin grin

I shall be all eyes if you could proffer an iota of evidence to support your goofy claim that Dr Sylvester Anieke was a fraud. Please do not cite craps from a character such as Richard Akinjide.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 7:50pm On Feb 15, 2013
T9ksy:

Can you then explain how come Major Ifeajuna and Major Okafor were having tea with

the same Dr. M.Okpara, who was supposed to have escaped their coup plot, at 14:15 on jan 15th 1966?

I have a funny feeling you have finally make good on your promise and finally visited your g/mother's

library in your village

This local pathological liar and master of illogical conjectures has done it again. Did you serve the tea?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 8:05pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

This local pathological liar and master of illogical conjectures has done it again. Did you serve the tea?

I thought the title in bold is your exclusoive reserve.

No, i didn't, did you?

At the Yaba Military Hospital they dropped 2/Lt Ezedigbo who had been wounded in the encounter with Brigadier Mai-Malari. The time was about 0400 hrs. Major Ifeajuna drove away on to the Abeokuta road. On the way they stopped and Ifeajuna asked the PM out of the car whence he shot and killed him. When he and Okafor became certain that the PM was dead they left the body in the bush at a point beyond Otta on the Lagos to Abeokuta road. They then opened the boot of the car and dropped the body of Lt.Col. Largema near that of the PM.

They then drove on to Abeokuta. On the way after Abeokuta two other soldiers in the car were dropped and told to find their way back to Lagos whilst Ifeajuna and Okafor proceeded to Enugu. They arrived Enugu at about 1415 hours and proceeded to the Premier's Lodge where they held discussion with Dr. MI Okpara, then Premier of Eastern region, after which they separated and went into hiding. Ifeajuna eventually escaped to Ghana where he was received by the former President Kwame Nkrumah who sent him to
Winneba to stay with SG Ikoku.

http://www.omoigui.com/2004/09/strongleaked_po.html
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 8:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
T9ksy:

I thought the title in bold is your exclusoive reserve.

No, i didn't, did you?

At the Yaba Military Hospital they dropped 2/Lt Ezedigbo who had been wounded in the encounter with Brigadier Mai-Malari. The time was about 0400 hrs. Major Ifeajuna drove away on to the Abeokuta road. On the way they stopped and Ifeajuna asked the PM out of the car whence he shot and killed him. When he and Okafor became certain that the PM was dead they left the body in the bush at a point beyond Otta on the Lagos to Abeokuta road. They then opened the boot of the car and dropped the body of Lt.Col. Largema near that of the PM.

They then drove on to Abeokuta. On the way after Abeokuta two other soldiers in the car were dropped and told to find their way back to Lagos whilst Ifeajuna and Okafor proceeded to Enugu. They arrived Enugu at about 1415 hours and proceeded to the Premier's Lodge where they held discussion with Dr. MI Okpara, then Premier of Eastern region, after which they separated and went into hiding. Ifeajuna eventually escaped to Ghana where he was received by the former President Kwame Nkrumah who sent him to
Winneba to stay with SG Ikoku.

http://www.omoigui.com/2004/09/strongleaked_po.html

It is good to see you did not disappoint with above post. When I asked if you did serve the tea, I had in mind you have been hanging out with Nowa Omoigui and my postulation is impeccably correct.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 8:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

It is good to see you did not disappoint with above post. When I asked if you did serve the tea, I had in mind you have been hanging out with Nowa Omoigui and my postulation is impeccably correct.

You are so predictable and never fail to disappoint!Did you even bother to read the

link?

]

Leaked [Police] Special Branch Report: "Military Rebellion of 15th January 1966"

By Nowamagbe Omoigui, MD, MPH, FACC

This is the Police Report on the official investigation into the coup of 15 January 1966. It was prepared by Police Special Branch Interrogators based on interviews with soldiers, other ranks and some officers who had been arrested after the mutiny.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by hercules07: 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dede1:

Bros, I knew about the coalition formed between NCNC and AG. It was not just Okpara. Even the plan to quench the miserable life of Awolowo in Nigerian prisons in Bauchi was thwarted.

As for the case of “The Penkelemes Years: A memoir by Wole Soyinka, I shall not bother to read it because of the respect I have for Wole.

However, Dr Sylvester Anieke was no quark or fraud but caught in the usual tribal politics of Nigeria. If Dr Sylvester Anieke was Yoruba, this instance would not have arisen. Besides, what were the qualifications of Dr. Biabiaku(sp) who became VC of Unlig?

He was not what he claimed to be, he was not a quark but a fraud, Soyinka told it as it was; by the way the NCNC had no choice, its plans to conquer the west was thwarted by Akintola. Dr. Biobaku was probably appointed to balance things, remember the NPC and Akintola were running things and they both hated Igbo guts.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 15, 2013
hercules07:

He was not what he claimed to be, he was not a quark but a fraud, Soyinka told it as it was; by the way the NCNC had no choice, its plans to conquer the west was thwarted by Akintola. Dr. Biobaku was probably appointed to balance things, remember the NPC and Akintola were running things and they both hated Igbo guts.

Not probably! That was exactly what Akintola had in mind after Zik went ahead to appoint Anieke despite the protest and resignations that followed. To Akintola, the Igbos were closing ranks and damning the consequences. And let's not forget that Kenneth Dike also protested the appointment and threatened to resign but he eventually didn't.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
hercules07:

I do not understand what you meant that NPC and Akintola were running things. The national government was still a coalition of NPC and NCNC. Is it not funny when a Yoruba gets a position, even when such character is abysmally unqualified as in the case of Dr Biobaku of Unlag, Yoruba talk about “balancing of things”?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Osita Chidoka Set To Emerge Pdp’s Anambra Central Senatorial Candidate / Magu's Sack: Court Adjourns Suit, As Lawyer Cries Out To The Court- Newtelegraph / Reno Omokri's Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story Of The Jonathan Years Trends

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.