Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,192 members, 7,950,125 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 08:54 AM

Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded (20884 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Kogi APC Torn Apart, Audu Adopted For Polls / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by ACM10: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2013
Your post is filled with sarcasm and downright condescending comments designed to make mockery of me. I will give u a pass. Why not dwell on the topic instead of asking rhetorical questions that does not add value to the topic at hand. I've been down this road with Katsumoto, Ekt-bear and Aribisalao and my experience tells me that people who are quick to throw insults and jibes do not handle it well when thrown back at them. Take this as my warning shot. No need to condescend or employ bullying tactics and insults to make your comments.

You can make a valuable comment without being grammatically correct. All you need to do is to communicate. So far, you've been speaking grammar without bothering to attend to the topic at hand. You've been trying to tear down my post without providing your rebuttal. Can we now attend to the topic at hand?

texazzpete:

As someone said earlier, you don't find it suspicious or even curious that only the portion of the coup against the South East leadership was 'badly executed'?
Either way, it matters not what happened in the execution. Bottom line was the SE leaders escaped murder while prominent and revered leaders from other regions were slaughtered...and that had a profound influence on the behavior of many Northerners. Surely even you can see this.
I've attended to this question. Zik was not in the country at the time of the coup. MI Okpara escaped the coup by chance. By the way, the coup led to the death of 12 politicians and officers, 2 coupists and 1 unfortunate woman(Mrs Ademelegun). Only Ahmadu Bello can be described as prominent and revered, others were more or less pretenders.

I think your problem is with comprehending written English. 'Common practice' does not neccessarily mean it must have happened in Nigeria. There had been many cases of coups in several other countries in the world...and in all armies the punishment for treason against the commander-in-chief of the Armed forces is always extremely severe and often death.
Spare me your BS! We are talking of Nigerian context.

A cursory look at your dictionary will tell you that 'conspiring to overthrow a Government' is an accepted meaning for the word 'sedition' that Damola used.
Your problem is worse than I imagined.

se·di·tion [si-dish-uhn]
noun
incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.
any action, especially in speech or writing, promoting such discontent or rebellion.

con·spire
/kənˈspī(ə)r/ Make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.
(of events or circumstances) Seem to be working together to bring about a particular result, typically to someone's detriment.

There are differences between "incite" and "make". This is like telling me that Tunde Bakare whose speech is meant to incite the populace can be compared to the action of Oladipo Diya who conspired to overthrow Abacha.

No offense meant, but what school did you graduate from? Your mastery of English language is suspect.
This is unnecessary! Poor mastery of English language does not make me less intelligent. No doubt, you are more fluent in English language than me and you have more vocabulary in your armamentarium than an average NL. But that does not take anything away from my competence. A Chinese is not less intelligent because of his poor mastery of English language.

No suspicion or raised eyebrows from you that the random 'posting' to prisons favored only the fellow from the SE?
This is bullshyt! What does SE stand to gain by posting prisoners to the region?

So while you demand 'evidence' for the very plausible claim by the OP that Nzeogwu was training recruits for the Biafran army, you happily cling to unsubstantiated claims that Ojukwu had a hand in Nzeogwu's death.
More importantly, once again you display your shameful failings in comprehending written English. The OP was making a case that Nzeogwu who Achebe tries to dismiss as an 'Igbo in name only' was fully allied with Biafra. Whether Ojukwu had a role in his death or not, the FACT is that Kaduna Nzeogwu was killed in action fighting for Biafra. That was the point Damola was trying to make and your jibe about 'Yoruba Analysts' has nothing to do with anything.
No one comprehends English better than you grin

Damola's point is that the man fought and died for Biafra. Your rebuttal to that point is a resounding failure and a red herring.
If you have a little gray matter in your brain, you will know that I'm not contesting this point. Bros you are fighting your shadow. . . grin

The OP indicates the coup was led by officers from the South East. I don't think anyone has ever insinuated that everyone of the coup plotters were South Easterners.
Also worth noting that Victor Banjo's name should probably not be on that list as unlike the others, he always proclaimed his innocence. Either way, that scarcely matters.
Epic fail! Mr. Comprehension, the OP wrote "Igbo coup". Your defense is weak and it makes you look pathetic

In summary your 'rebuttal' showed nowhere near the level of wit and research that the OP displayed in his critique of Achebe's book. More worryingly, either from mischief or from plain challenges with English, you seem to have completely misconstrued many of Damola's words.
Yours is even laughable. By the way, what prevents you from making your comment based on your own research? Why should you mastur.bate on another person's work?
No doubt, I have challenges in English language; mind you that Igbo language is my mother tongue. So feel free to correct me. cool

Nowhere is this disappointing trait more evident in this your response to where the OP said

Five, during the Aburi negotiations, why was full reprieve for the coup plotters put on the table?

The term 'full reprieve for the coup plotters put on the table' does not mean that the coup plotters sat down at the table grin
Sorry to burst your bubble, Ojukwu went to Aburi with few aide. None of them were coup plotters tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by kunlekunle: 6:06pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

One advice I give to Nigerian scholars who navigate to Nairaland for intellectual exercise is not to accept Nowa Omoigui’s conjectural craps as gospel. In your replies to my post and that of hercules07, you seemed to load up on Nowa Omoigui’s junk.

Let me make it clear that Dr Biobaku was not a senior lecturer, associate professor or tenured professor. The only qualifications he had in pursuit of VC were being Omo Yoruba, political love peddler and tribal politics which Yoruba peeps chased unashamedly. I guess you know the reason behind assassination attempt on Dr Biobaku.

Now, let me call your attention to the responses you gave to hercules07 posts where you the laid the rope you used to hang your political credibility.

In one instance, you stated that “Chief Okotie-Eboh as the only non-Igbo N.C.N.C. Minister in the cabinet”. In another instance, there were Chief J.M. Johnson, Chief Olu Akinfosile and Ola Balogun as ministers. The last time I checked though, Chiefs J.M. Johnson, Olu Akinfosile and Ola Balogun were not Igbo.

It is very laughable how you narrated Akintola’s niche to run to his master, Ahmadu Bello, to plead for peanuts. In addition, it is equally nice to read from you that Yoruba sought tribalism over merit in Nigeria. When Yoruba longed for any position in Nigeria, the process is codenamed fairness but when it is the turn for Igbo the process becomes Igbo domination.

I have consistently reminded Igbo people, especially the deluded jackasses, that an apple does not fall far from the tree. The Yoruba of yesteryears are the Yoruba of tomorrow.

You are mixing issues up,
the first coalition was NPC and NCNC, the second was NPC, NCNC, NNDP.
the southern ministerial positions were occupied by NCNC with some positions for yourube NCNC.
Akintola's arguement was those NCNC yoruba guys wont reflect anything SW, so the southern positions were shared between NCNC and NNDP which created political acrimony that akintole hated the ibos.

take it or leave it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 6:45pm On Feb 16, 2013
kunlekunle:

You are mixing issues up,
the first coalition was NPC and NCNC, the second was NPC, NCNC, NNDP.
the southern ministerial positions were occupied by NCNC with some positions for yourube NCNC.
Akintola's arguement was those NCNC yoruba guys wont reflect anything SW, so the southern positions were shared between NCNC and NNDP which created political acrimony that akintole hated the ibos.

take it or leave it.

Of course, I had to leave it. Why should I take myriad of unintelligible craps?

One of the problems with Nigeria is the country teeming with tribal irredentists who had closed minds to reality. NNDP was the not leading coalition partner. The coalition was between NNA and UPGA. In the coalition, NPC and NCNC were senior partners while NNDP, AG, UMBC, NEPU, NDC, MDF, UNIP, NPF, UNP and ZCP were junior partners in the coalition.

Due to undue tribal pressure, you kept thinking Akintola was the main mover in the political scene of 60s in Nigeria. To the best of my knowledge, SL Akintola was a rabid tribal icon and master of butt licker.

4 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 6:53pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

One of the problems with Nigeria is the country teeming with tribal irredentists who had closed minds to reality. NNDP was the not leading coalition partner. The coalition was between NNA and UPGA. In the coalition, NPC and NCNC were senior partners while NNDP, AG, UMBC, NEPU, NDC, MDF, UNIP, NPF, UNP and ZCP were junior partners in the coalition.

Due to undue tribal pressure, you kept thinking Akintola was the main mover in the political scene of 60s in Nigeria. To the best of my knowledge, SL Akintola was a rabid tribal icon and master of butt licker.

S.L. Akintola was also a confirmed political thug, he invented thuggery in Nigerian politics.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

Seriously, you need to see a shrink or a doctor.

Action Group was in the coalition with NPC and NCNC? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Kunle is correct. The first coalition was between NPC and NCNC; after Akintola left the AG, he formed NNDP and that party joined the coalition. It was Akintola joining the coalition that caused the rift between NCNC and NPC. In the election of 1964, NCNC formed a coalition with AG to form UMBC while NPC and NNDP formed the ruling coalition. It was defeat in that election that led Zik not to call Balewa to form a government and the subsequent constitutional crisis of January 1965.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2013
van bonattel:

S.L. Akintola was also a confirmed political thug, he invented thuggery in Nigerian politics.

Confirmed by who? Get a cure for your madness and stop spewing rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2013
inufele2:

Confirmed by who? Get a cure for your madness and stop spewing rubbish.

Which rubbish, its there on his wikipedia page
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 16, 2013
van bonattel:

Which rubbish, its there on his wikipedia page

Wikipedia ko wikitilapia ni, people can write whatever they like on Wikipedia, it's not a reliable source of information.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2013
inufele2:

Wikipedia ko wikitilapia ni, people can write whatever they like on Wikipedia, it's not a reliable source of information.

Akintola was a thug, pure and simple. He is the grand patron of Nigeria political thuggrey, setting up thuggery schools all over the west and burning people's houses.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 8:14pm On Feb 16, 2013
Duduknight:

Seriously, you need to see a shrink or a doctor.

Action Group was in the coalition with NPC and NCNC? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Kunle is correct. The first coalition was between NPC and NCNC; after Akintola left the AG, he formed NNDP and that party joined the coalition. It was Akintola joining the coalition that caused the rift between NCNC and NPC. In the election of 1964, NCNC formed a coalition with AG to form UMBC while NPC and NNDP formed the ruling coalition. It was defeat in that election that led Zik not to call Balewa to form a government and the subsequent constitutional crisis of January 1965.

When I said Nigeria is teeming with loudmouthed fools who are miserably ill-educated, I meant every word. Did the above poster remotely insinuate that NCNC and AG form UMBC? You will not gain any knowledge from me. By the way, what does UMBC represents? There are parties other than NNDP that joined NPC to form alliance known as NNA.

Again, the election in reference was boycotted in the wards NNA had stronghold by certain parties due to alleged irregularities in the Balewa's government conduct of Nigerian census.

Again, the act of flaunting ignorance in the public seems to score high among certain group of people in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 16, 2013
van bonattel:

Akintola was a thug, pure and simple. He is the grand patron of Nigeria political thuggrey, setting up thuggery schools all over the west and burning people's houses.

You're confirming your madness more and more, you're not even worthy of a reply. Go and learn your history first before you start poking your nose into Yoruba's history which obviously you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 9:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

When I said Nigeria is teeming with loudmouthed fools who are miserably ill-educated, I meant every word. Did the above poster remotely insinuate that NCNC and AG form UMBC? You will not gain any knowledge from me. By the way, what does UMBC represents? There are parties other than NNDP that joined NPC to form alliance known as NNA.

Again, the election in reference was boycotted in the wards NNA had stronghold by certain parties due to alleged irregularities in the Balewa's government conduct of Nigerian census.

Again, the act of flaunting ignorance in the public seems to score high among certain group of people in Nigeria.

I meant UPGA, it was an error on my part. In any case, there was a coalition between AG and NCNC for the 1964 election.

You accuse others of being fools yet your posts indicate that you are the most dangerous poster because your posts are filled with half-truths, lies, and misinformation. Weren't you the poster who stated that the AG was in a coalition with NPC and NCNC? Perhaps you don't know the meaning of coalition. If you do know the meaning of coalition, can you provide the names of the AG members who were part of the government in the first republic?

Your point about elections being boycotted in certain wards is not relevant to the debate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 10:11pm On Feb 16, 2013
Duduknight:

I meant UPGA, it was an error on my part. In any case, there was a coalition between AG and NCNC for the 1964 election.

You accuse others of being fools yet your posts indicate that you are the most dangerous poster because your posts are filled with half-truths, lies, and misinformation. Weren't you the poster who stated that the AG was in a coalition with NPC and NCNC? Perhaps you don't know the meaning of coalition. If you do know the meaning of coalition, can you provide the names of the AG members who were part of the government in the first republic?

Your point about elections being boycotted in certain wards is not relevant to the debate.

I guess in a hurry to score cheap point for your team of ethnic bigots, you did not peruse my post or you were struck with common sickness of deficiency in comprehension. Again, the coalition government was forged between NPC and NCNC. However, there were political alliances between parties. Such alliances produced NNA and UPGA. I suggest you kick the habit of laziness and tribal parochialism while you get educated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Duduknight(m): 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

I guess in a hurry to score cheap point for your team of ethnic bigots, you did not peruse my post or you were struck with common sickness of deficiency in comprehension. Again, the coalition government was forged between NPC and NCNC. However, there were political alliances between parties. Such alliances produced NNA and UPGA. I suggest you kick the habit of laziness and tribal parochialism while you get educated.

See your original post below; who were the AG members who were part of the government in the first republic? Stop using insults to mask your ignorance. And while you are it, stop dancing around the main issues. Do you know the meaning of coalition? I will not respond to any of your posts if you can't simply admit to your error or tell us how the AG was in the ruling coalition in the 1st Republic.

Dede1:

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 10:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
Duduknight:

See your original post below; who were the AG members who were part of the government in the first republic? Stop using insults to mask your ignorance. And while you are it, stop dancing around the main issues. Do you know the meaning of coalition? I will not respond to any of your posts if you can't simply admit to your error or tell us how the AG was in the ruling coalition in the 1st Republic.

I have concluded you are a typical dunce who is either blind or dense. Do you think forming political alliance translates into ministerial appointment? I have always stated the coalition government was between NPC and NCNC. However, both parties have partners as evidenced in NNA and UPGA. I even reiterated in my post that you reposted that NPC and NCNC were the senior coalition partners. It is clear to me you are one of those nitwits who look up the chart of political appointments in order to cast your vote.

Again, there is slight technical difference between “Alliance and Coalition”.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 10:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^On the bolded: too late mate! You've used your own basket mouth to bring curses on your head, and by the blood of the millions of innocents you mock, you shall get it!

You think you can run your mouth like a broken tap on the internet owing to the anonymity it provides......and even go ahead to make fun of innocent victims of ethnic cleansing without attracting dire consequences?

This was my earlier prayer that made you say 'back to sender': May God almighty visit awo and adekunles idea of 'justice' and 'fairness' on you and you entire immediate and extended family for 10 generations to come......Amen!
Invariably, you're telling me that awo and adekunle were not 'just' and 'fair' since you've taken umbrage at my prayer; can you now point to anywhere in your previous posts where you've pointed this out?

If we are ALL true to ourselves and our consciences, and are ready to condemn injustice anywhere (even when visited on people we despise), there would be less bickering and e-fights on this forum, and the wounds of the civil war would have healed by now.

BACK TO SENDER AGAIN! All this dogo magana does not change that YOU, YOUR FATHER, MOTHER,CHILDREN AND ALL YOUR GENERATION HAVE CARRIED YOUR CURSE ON THEIR FLAT HEADS FOREVER! LOL...loser!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 11:00pm On Feb 16, 2013
van bonattel:

Bwhahahahahah! I had a very good laugh reading this, so, you of all people dey fear curses? You with your ever hating soul filled with bile and bitterness, the curse is likely to stick to your life grin
Please pardon CyberG, this curse is too much, I dey beg for am.

No need to BEG, physician heal thyself! It doesn't matter what he said for a CURSE that is CAUSELESS shall NOT arise! In as much as he stirred the hornets nest, the CURSE HAS ARISEN ON HIM, FATHER, MOTHER, & ENTIRE GENERATION! Steer clear for you are both the same lest CURSE & PESTILENCE fall on YOU!

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 11:03pm On Feb 16, 2013
Da infamous: CYBERG, you better go and fast and pray for forgiveness because the curses place upon you and your family,don't take it as a joke, mocking dead people also bring curse to itself.I feel sorry for you..

LOL...no one is mocking dead people or is it because ojuku's stupidi.ty got them killed? Do iboz not make fun of northerners are whenever their is a bomb blast in the north? Do iboz not mock the MB whenever Fulani herdsmen attack the farmers in Jos? How about the SW?? Well, in so much as you have done this, much more shall be done to you! FEEL sorry for YOUR POOR SOUL! Hahaha

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

There was a story the malnourished dull in CyberGfool gave about 1911. When I read craps accredited to the characters such as Awolowo, Akintola, Ben Adekunle, Obasanjo and host of other Yoruba peeps, I deduced that jackass’s sickness of mouth diarrhea is definitely inherent.

Retardeen dendeMORONIc...your hatred for Awolowo, Adekunle and co. doesn't change that the whooping of retardeen byafrans was completed in only ~2.5 years! Deal with it, the victors did, the vanquish can cry Nigeria an ocean! All your stories are bull crap and all I need do is scroll past your asinine posts!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 11:13pm On Feb 16, 2013
nku5:

Smallie! You never hear say when adults dey talk kids should keep their mouths closed and ears open.

If I wrote an article saying awolowo was a british spy and I said I got it from a source doesn't common sense dictate that I provide (since its an internet article) a link to authenticate my sources??

Intellectual progress is not about screaming rhetoric so ppl can clap for you. It comes from points thrashed out and scrutinised thoroughly. Either challenge intellectually or go play e-thug or lol, "cyberg" with ya mates

You are still smarting from being told you are intellectually lazy not to see that 21,000 sources/references were reviewed and provided! Or, you want a list, which you will not read anyway! Here is a LINK to some of the US cables he referenced, READ and show us something different: http://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/nixon/e5/c15646.htm

And BTW, you are the small boy-boy here if you expect me to spoon feed you with information. There is something called Google, use it!

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by proffemi: 11:14pm On Feb 16, 2013
TIMEOUT! TIMEOUT!

What is happening here is discouraging. The rudeness,tribalism and naked hatred on show here is really disappointing, and doubly so because all of you are obviously well-educated!

Look,the true proof that you are "educated" is that you can listen to other people's opinions and when they are not making sense, respectfully disagree. Otherwise, we're no better than a baboon trained to move a cursor on a PC. Yes, he has acquired some skills but his animal instincts still rule, and he wouldn't hesitate to pound the okra from the mouth of another male baboon encroaching on his turf (and that's something that apparently some of you would love to do to others).

Come people, you should be better than this. Achebe this, Achebe that. Yoruba this, Ibo that. It all doesn't matter if we are all this impolite because if "educated" Nigerians like yourselves cannot conduct a simple debate (accepted, its on a sensitive matter) without descending to rudeness and inability to engage with other people's arguments, this country has no future. And that won't be the fault of Ojukwu or Achebe or Awolowo. It will be your fault.

SHM...
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 11:19pm On Feb 16, 2013
van bonattel:

Fasting and praying may never save him, there is a horrible way that curses work, he should trace the person that cursed him if he is wrong and beg him or else.......

It is YOUR HEAD, IMMEDIATE & EXTENDED FAMILIES & GENERATION THAT IS AND WILL REMAIN CURSED! It all started when Gowon, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Adekunle "The Scorpion" dealt massively with retardeen ibo biafrans during the ill-conceived ojuku war. Within 2 months, Calabar, Enugu, PH, etc were all captured and iboz besieged on all sides and sinking fast! In the next war, there will surely be no remnants to re-write history!

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by proffemi: 11:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
The problem stem from the fact that most of you appear to be unwilling or unable to accept any argument that threatens any preconceived notions you have. So anything that threatens the superiority of Yorubas or Ibos, or the "honor" of your legends (Awolowo or Zik or Achebe) makes you start foaming in the mouth.

Grow up people. Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo, Efik. Any tribe. There are good uns and bad uns. Just the way it is. There are smart ones and stupid ones. All the people you've mentioned: Achebe, Ademola whats-his-name, Awolowo, Akintola, they are all going to e right sometimes, and wrong sometimes. When you generalize, or refuse to consider the fact that your hero was wrong, it makes you look...unintelligent. Educated in that you attended classes.

Reading through the OP's write-up, I thought:
a. He was too hard on Achebe but
b. He backed MOST of his points with references I could check up, and clearly stated where he felt Achebe did otherwise. As an academic, that makes me give him the benefit of doubt.

Does that mean I now think Achebe is a fool/crazy codger with a bloody agenda/not worthy of respect? NO. It simply means the ball is in the court of Achebe and those who disagree with OP to tear his arguments to shreds with sound, evidence-based arguments. Then, i will agree that Op was spewing rubbish. It doesn't give license to people on either side of the divide to vent so much anger.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my tribe. It has everything to do with giving everyone a fair hearing and only after then, coming to my own conclusions.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:05am On Feb 17, 2013
CyberG:

It is YOUR HEAD, IMMEDIATE & EXTENDED FAMILIES & GENERATION THAT IS AND WILL REMAIN CURSED! It all started when Gowon, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Adekunle "The Scorpion" dealt massively with retardeen ibo biafrans during the ill-conceived ojuku war. Within 2 months, Calabar, Enugu, PH, etc were all captured and iboz besieged on all sides and sinking fast! In the next war, there will surely be no remnants to re-write history!

^^^Your pathetic damned soul (and that of your 'blood') can't escape this curse, no matter how you try to grasp at straws in your attempt to try and justify your mockery of the death of millions of innocents, just b'cos they are they Igbos you so loath and fear.

Obviously you hold awo and adekunle in high regard for the 'just' and 'noble' way they both made contributions to the civil war. I then went on to wish you that same measure of treatment in your life and you threw a hissy fit; now what does that say about your duplicitous and two-faced nature?

You are rotten, evil and diseased to the core.....a true example of a human debased to the level of animals, and the fact that non of your kinsmen has seen it fit to tell you there are certain lines you just don't cross makes me wonder at the type of people i have the misfortune to call 'fellow countrymen'!

3 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 12:14am On Feb 17, 2013
@CyberG
don't mind these mofos with their so called curses a Yoruba proverb says "Ogun nii si ni mu epe kii si ni pa" what is so special about their useless curses? as long as their problems are self inflicted they can fcking swim in their own curses for life.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by bushwailo: 3:06am On Feb 17, 2013
You guys are still on wit this shitz, cant you all just drop it?
Grow up !!!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 4:40am On Feb 17, 2013
bushwailo: You guys are still on wit this shitz, cant you all just drop it?
Grow up !!!

...drop what? Will you please step back!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Tolexander: 8:08am On Feb 17, 2013
i cant imagine argueing with that BUFFER called DENDE, with no atom of truth and intelligence even at old age. Well, maybe senile could be hypobolic adjective to qualify his deluded emotional cyber expression.
Still wondering what he spent his productive life doing!

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 17, 2013
Achebe wrote a one sided book. He focused, mostly, on tribes, ethnicity without taking into cognizance the existence of ruling class that cut across all divides pre and post civil war except when it suited his agenda. It is we against them mentality that reverberated throughout the book. In most cases, he highlighted the symptoms of an ailment to high heavens without examining the root cause of such ailment. Thus he found it convenient to discuss horrible pogrom without mentioning not to talk of dramatizing Enugu killings to same level or highlighted that the pogrom was not unprovoked.

While he claimed the glory, justified or otherwise, of Biafran technological innovations during the war and showed it as a mark of Ibo's brilliance, one would have expected him to also admit the failure of Biafra to feed her citizens as a mark of sheer $tupidity of the elite running shows in the stillborn country. His Ibo's victimization and ironically supremacist or domineering theory is not well justified considering that all ruling class pre and post civil war also comprise Ibo. So they are neither more victimized than the rest of the country nor do they possess an extra prowess in anything that has not been seen or would not have been expressed.

Well, the book is one of several works on civil war and it pays to read it side by side with the likes of Ralph Uwechue's Reflections on the Nigerian Civil war and many other great works that are more credible and balanced devoid of unnecessary emotions in place of logic, truth and actuality of circumstances. At the end of the day, what matters is the war has ended and there is still Nigeria. We can choose to either salvage this country or now aid its balkanisation to different republics.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 17, 2013
This Asebe old f0ol has caused more enemity among Yorubas and jhybos than the actual war did...
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 10:27am On Feb 17, 2013
CyberG:

Retardeen dendeMORONIc...your hatred for Awolowo, Adekunle and co. doesn't change that the whooping of retardeen byafrans was completed in only ~2.5 years! Deal with it, the victors did, the vanquish can cry Nigeria an ocean! All your stories are bull crap and all I need do is scroll past your asinine posts!

Still, the Biafrans bounced back and are dealing ruthlessly with the whole nation, taking over all the markets, buying up chunks of choice real estate in many cities, dominating Jamb enrollment and dictating the pace in the sports and entertainment world. AFCON cup is in Owerri as we speakgrin God mus have been a Biafran grin

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 10:39am On Feb 17, 2013
ilugunboy: This Asebe old f0ol has caused more enemity among Yorubas and jhybos than the actual war did...

He said the truth, damn the consequences!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Has Destroyed 50 Catholic Churches In Borno / Presidency Denies Placing Tinubu Under Security Watch / South-South & South-East Roads Worst In The Country — FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.