Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:47 PM

Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (3196 Views)

Military Arrests 11-Year-Old Potential Suicide Bomber (Photo) / East Coast Begins To Clean Up And Assess Damage From Hurricane Sandy / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by pastorking(m): 8:18am On Mar 15, 2008
So even in America, there is this dirty "Religious Politics"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/13/barackobama.hillaryclinton

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by almondjoy(f): 10:28am On Mar 15, 2008
Well, he will have to deal with that too.  What a pastor.  In as much as I do not believe in guilty by association. I wonder how he would have gone to a church that preaches these kinds of things for over 20 years.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  Much ado about nothing really.  But knowing "white" Americans. . .they will definitely milk this one.  I personally will never allow any person to preach to me unless we have the same views.  I really do not know what to make of this. undecided Well let us hear what he has to say or write about this.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.  I wish him well! kiss

It could go either way.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by princeonx: 3:27pm On Mar 15, 2008
Its funny how he's being judged by everything around him. His background, school/lived in indonesia, and so on!
At first they said he's a muslim and now he's being one church member for over 20yrs!

Politics is one dirty game! I won't be surprise is they come out and say "He's just too black for the white house"
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Encomium(m): 3:35pm On Mar 15, 2008
Obama will still get out of this tight corner been placed on him by his Pastor. Anything can still go as far as politics is concerned.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by RichyBlacK(m): 2:47pm On Mar 18, 2008
Pure absolute balderdash!

What do those closet racist want Obama to do? Switch church anytime the pastor says anything bad about America? Rubbish!!!

America was founded on the evil practice of slavery and many of those so-called founding fathers of America were slave owners! Rubbish! So, if some pastor says this then what? White America needs to wake up from their stupid slumber if they think the 400-year-old scars of slavery, racism, and discrimination will just vanish overnight. The oppressed have every right to be angry about their state of oppression. What were these people thinking? That Obama has been "shielded" from the realities of the racist aspects of America? Nonsense!

All those pretenders who keep shouting "separation of Church and State", should remember that tired slogan now!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JeSoul(f): 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2008
Inasmuch as I don't fancy the way Rev. Wright went about delivering that "sermon" - lets be real, a lotta what he said is true, though I did disagree with a good portion of it too.

This is a no-win situation for Obama. So poster you should change the title to "Obama Faces Definate Damage From His Pastor's Comments"

Becos if he completely denounces his church and totally contradicts his pastor (or ex-pastor) he will lose the support and admiration of a large percentage of blacks/african-americans who in reality hold the same (or some of the) views of the pastor.
   On the other hand, if he doesn't completely distance himself from wright, white america will not continue to embrace him as "one of theirs".
  A no-win situation. . . but maybe he might be able to assuage the plantation white america with his speech today cheesy, we'll see. I haven't run into too many black people who are upset at Rev Wright . . . dost thou wonder why?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 18, 2008
Now this is a tight one. undecided
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 3:13pm On Mar 18, 2008
The Pastor na real Alakoba. . . .

Akoba Adaba Olorun ma je ka ri oo
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 3:25pm On Mar 18, 2008
The fact remains that Obama has run his campaign on the basis that he is a uniter who transcends racial and identity politics.Yet,here you find Obama joining and attending a church that thrives on racial polarisation.

The Rev,who he calls his spiritual mentor,produces vile sermons that are unbecoming of a Christian clergy man.What is Christian clergy man doing with Louis Farrakhan? Claiming that the AIDS virus was produced by white America and
all sorts of kooky nonsense.

If Obama wants to be a Black leader in the mold of Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson,he is free to belong to any church he wants to.However,if he wants to be the leader of America,you can't belong to an organisation that thrives on racial/identity politics.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by TheSly: 3:36pm On Mar 18, 2008
I got ur back Obama. . . . .Do not worry. . .fear no evil. . cool
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 3:38pm On Mar 18, 2008
I think he has already distanced himself from the comments his pastor made. Hey but at least with this, no one still thinks he is M'uslim.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 3:41pm On Mar 18, 2008
JayFK:

I think he has already distanced himself from the comments his pastor made. Hey but at least with this, no one still thinks he is M'uslim.

Distancing himself isn't sufficient.He said this man is his spiritual mentor and personally decided to join this particular church.Does it mean that for those 2 decades,he wasn't aware of the Pastor's incendiary remarks?

It is said that he named his book,The Audacity of Hope ,after one of Rev Wright's speeches.All of a sudden,he is seeking distance now that the Rev's remarks have been exposed.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 3:48pm On Mar 18, 2008
4 Play:

Distancing himself isn't sufficient.He said this man is his spiritual mentor and personally decided to join this particular church.Does it mean that for those 2 decades,he wasn't aware of the Pastor's incendiary remarks?

It is said that he named his book,The Audacity of Hope ,after one of Rev Wright's speeches.All of a sudden,he is seeking distance now that the Rev's remarks have been exposed.

I dont think his pastor's comments were a recurring theme in his preachings, they were just made on one occasion. I think he said he wasn't aware his pastor made such remarks.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JeSoul(f): 4:29pm On Mar 18, 2008
did anyone check out his speech?
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_RACE?SITE=WTKKFM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-03-18-11-16-31

I guess I was wrong to say it was a no-win situation! smiley
I think he did a great job of pedalling to both sides and he made it clear that he wasn't turning his back "or distancing" himself from the church or his pastor. Good speech, it should calm a lot of the furor down and hopefully help in both sides understanding each other better.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by RichyBlacK(m): 4:58pm On Mar 18, 2008
JeSoul:

did anyone check out his speech?
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_RACE?SITE=WTKKFM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-03-18-11-16-31

I guess I was wrong to say it was a no-win situation! smiley
I think he did a great job of pedalling to both sides and he made it clear that he wasn't turning his back "or distancing" himself from the church or his pastor. Good speech, it should calm a lot of the furor down and hopefully help in both sides understanding each other better.

Excellent speech by Obama! Stand by your church! Stand by your pastor! That does not mean agreeing with every comment made by the pastor.

GObama '08!!!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 4:58pm On Mar 18, 2008
Hmm. . . . .

This man looks like he could sell sand to Sahara dwellers
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by ndubest(m): 4:58pm On Mar 18, 2008
Am really fed up of all these accussations and making NEWS out of nothing sad sad

The next thing we will hear soon is

OBAMA'S DOG BITE SOMEONE 20YEARS AGO grin grin
or

OBAMA URINATED ON HIS BED WHEN HE WAS A KID grin grin

or

OBAMA MISSED ONE OF HIS LECTURES DURING HIS SCHOOL DAYS grin grin

the clinton team is running out of ideas
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Dreloaded(f): 5:05pm On Mar 18, 2008
it's when he wins the nomination that Mccain and co will throw this back in his face, just wait

4 Play:

.Does it mean that for those 2 decades,he wasn't aware of the Pastor's incendiary remarks?

hahahha.

anyway his speech might be fine now for opeople to still be against Hiliary but once she's ouyt of the picture, it'll come up again.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by bawomolo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 18, 2008
I don't think his pastor's comments were a recurring theme in his preachings, they were just made on one occasion. I think he said he wasn't aware his pastor made such remarks.

they weren't made on one compassion, u need to check out the pastors interview on hannity&colmes. the statements stretch 10years. obama must have been dozing off or romancing with michelle obama while in church.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 5:54pm On Mar 18, 2008
bawomolo:

they weren't made on one compassion, u need to check out the pastors interview on hannity&colmes. the statements stretch 10years. obama must have been dozing off or romancing with michelle obama while in church.

Meh, anyways Obama has set the record straight that he doesn't agree with his pastor's statements. So its all good.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 6:03pm On Mar 18, 2008
bawomolo:

Well he did admit he has heard on many occasions things he disagreed with his pastor

But hearing his speech. . . . .He reminds me so much of Churchill for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Him(m): 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2008
pls can anyone summarise his speech this morning?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 6:08pm On Mar 18, 2008
doyin13:

Well he did admit he has heard on many occasions things he disagreed with his pastor on.

But hearing his speech. . . . .He reminds me so much of Churchill for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why

Churchill was a brave straight-talker.This guy is a smarmy pol who thrives on being all things to all people.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 6:08pm On Mar 18, 2008
4 Play:

Churchill was a brave straight-talker.This guy is a smarmy pol who thrives on being all things to all people.

I meant his speech making
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 6:12pm On Mar 18, 2008
doyin13:

That was what I was referring to.Churchill's speeches had substance and he often didn't mind whose ox was gored.

Obama's best quotes come from speeches or soundbites written for him. Churchill was naturally gifted with wit.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Him(m): 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2008
Good speech from the summary.
I suppose the anti-Obama bandwagon are back in full force. grin
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 6:17pm On Mar 18, 2008
doyin13:

Obama sounds very much like Ronald Reagan, and that gives me the chills.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2008
JayFK:

Obama sounds very much like Ronald Reagan, and that gives me the chills.

WTF? shocked Obama doesn't even sound a tad like Reagan!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by DRANOEL(m): 6:36pm On Mar 18, 2008
obama just lost the race!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 6:48pm On Mar 18, 2008
Read the whole speech here.

No summary
http://naijanet.com/news/source/2008/mar/18/1000.html
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 7:00pm On Mar 18, 2008
4 Play:

That was what I was referring to.Churchill's speeches had substance and he often didn't mind whose ox was gored.

Obama's best quotes come from speeches or soundbites written for him. Churchill was naturally gifted with wit.

Like I said I can't quite put a finger on it. . .it is more on the delivery of the speech i suppose

Obviously contexts are contexts apart. . . . cheesy

Talking of Churchill. . . .he was witty alright. My fave to Lady Astor

"Sir, you're drunk!"

"Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 7:05pm On Mar 18, 2008
doyin13:

Talking of Churchill. . . .he was witty alright. My fave to Lady Astor

"Sir, you're drunk!"

"Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

No mind Churchill.Lady Astor wasn't that ugly. grin http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:1NqAtNfMLnwJ:jssgallery.org/Paintings/Lady_Astor.htm+Churchill+to+Lady+Astor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

There was another witty exchange with her:

Lady Astor said, "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee." Whereupon Winston said, "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arik Begins Direct Flight To America / Pdp Governorship Primaries Results / General Muhammadu Buhari's Interview With Bbc Hardtalk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.