Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,731 members, 7,875,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:50 PM

Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (3197 Views)

Military Arrests 11-Year-Old Potential Suicide Bomber (Photo) / East Coast Begins To Clean Up And Assess Damage From Hurricane Sandy / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by sartorius(m): 1:51pm On Mar 21, 2008
why are you guys bothering yourselves, i said it long ag.,Obama cant be president, you havent seen anything yet, more videos, stories will come out, its america 4 u, race is still an issue
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JeSoul(f): 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2008
well I was wrong about being wrong. . .at first I thot he was surely a gonner, then he made the speech and I thot he was back BUT

here in the beantown, the white folks are infuriated he refused to denounce his pastor. That seems to be the recurring theme the past couple of days. The fact that he didn't turn his back on his pastor and church and calling his grandmother a "typical white person". I don't know what the fuss is, what he said is true anyways.

I think this is all much ado about nuthin - and this from someone who's not a sold Obama fan, but I admire what he's been able to accomplish.

At first they all wanted to vote for him cos of white guilt - to show they were really not racist but good people. Now they have a "reason" not to vote for him and still be able to justify it in their eyes.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Mar 21, 2008
JeSoul:

well I was wrong about being wrong. . .at first I thot he was surely a gonner, then he made the speech and I thot he was back BUT

here in the beantown, the white folks are infuriated he refused to denounce his pastor. That seems to be the recurring theme the past couple of days. The fact that he didn't turn his back on his pastor and church and calling his grandmother a "typical white person". I don't know what the fuss is, what he said is true anyways.

I think this is all much ado about nuthin - and this from someone who's not a sold Obama fan, but I admire what he's been able to accomplish.

At first they all wanted to vote for him because of white guilt - to show they were really not racist but good people. Now they have a "reason" not to vote for him and still be able to justify it in their eyes.

LMAO!!!!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2008
@4 Play,

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/03/21/the-full-story-behind-rev-jeremiah-wrights-911-sermon/

Can we all read about the 911 sermon and put things in their right context. Thank you.

Wright didnot go with Malcom X message, he was quoting someone else in that message. We all need to listen to people in the context of what he or she says.
God bless Nigeria and America.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
EmekaNaija:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/03/21/the-full-story-behind-rev-jeremiah-wrights-911-sermon/

Can we all read about the 911 sermon and put things in their right context. Thank you.

After reading the article, I would really like to know what you are trying to get at here. The man said what he said, even Obama felt there was need for him to distance himself from his pastor after he heard/read the very words posted in that article, I am sure. What is your point?? Are you trying to say, in context, it is not as bad as it is being made?? and Obama did not have to make the speech to point out that he did not agree with his pastor??
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 4:59pm On Mar 21, 2008
@ Kobojunkie,
My point is that Obama distanced himself for the divisive speech. People are saying he should denounce the man, but i'm saying he should not because if you understand the context he made the speech then we can judge him better.
It is only when you listen to a complete speech before you can objectively criticize it. I am not supporting Wright, all i'm saying is that we should be educated enough to understand that a 4 minute clip on Youtube is not enough to know what a man said.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2008
EmekaNaija:

@ Kobojunkie,
My point is that Obama distanced himself for the divisive speech. People are saying he should denounce the man, but i'm saying he should not because if you understand the context he made the speech then we can judge him better.
It is only when you listen to a complete speech before you can objectively criticize it. I am not supporting Wright, all i'm saying is that we should be educated enough to understand that a 4 minute clip on Youtube is not enough to know what a man said.

Have you seen the video of the speech yourself In the article you posted, the writer does not include the portion where Reverend Wright actually says God Damn America for ,  and from reports, this sermon was from back in 2003. How can you argue context with the article you posted when it does not even include the portion of the sermon that is being questioned?? For you to argue that context changes things would be you saying obama himself did not understand the sermon and so he is even among those who may not have understood the "context" debate going on on that page.  Please watch the video again to hear what Wright says in the video and compare it to the article you posted. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4443230

Here is an excerpt from the article

3. This is time to tell God thank you for all that he has provided and that he gave him and others another chance to do His will.

By the way, nowhere in this sermon did he said “God damn America.” I’m not sure which sermon that came from.

This doesn’t explain anything away, nor does it absolve Wright of using the N-word, but what it does do is add an accurate perspective to this conversation.

The point that I have always made as a journalist is that our job is to seek the truth, and not the partial truth.

I am also listening to the other sermons delivered by Rev. Wright that have been the subject of controversy.

And let me be clear: Where I believe he was wrong and not justified in what he said based upon the facts, I will say so. But where the facts support his argument, that will also be said.

The ABC video clearly shows Wright saying "God damn America, ". How can one educate oneself with what is wrong??
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by almondjoy(f): 10:08pm On Mar 21, 2008
Beware of fake pastors I say. . . . . they could only lead you to paths of destruction!  Oprah Winfrey left this hate monger of a pastor's church because of his offensive rhetoric.

Well the story is dying a natural death. Let us see what will come up next besides sniffing through Obama's passport files to see if he has ever visited Osama Bin Laden in the Torah Borah cave!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 10:14pm On Mar 21, 2008
Someone said africans will not benefit if he wins,

Well he is yet to win, and a nigerian has already benefited from his popularity.

[b]Obama helps Nigerian kerosine victim procure visa
By Paul Ohia with agency report, 03.21.2008
Friday, March 21, 2008

United States' Democratic Party presidential hopeful, Barack Obama's presidency may benefit Africans afterall, as the man who is yet to get his party's nod for the race has helped a Nigerian kerosene victim get visa to America.

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

advertisement

Justice Amadi needed help to undergo five surgeries in the US after serious burn from kerosene explosion, the surgery date was set, but getting American visa was not easy.

According to suburbanchicagonews, the 16-year-old Nigerian boy needed a visitor's visa and a passport, which Nigerian government said would take several months to obtain.

By December 2007, three months to his first of five surgeries at Cincinnati's Shriners Hospital, representatives of Libertyville-based Aid Africa's Children contacted Obama's office, hoping that the Illinois Senator would be sympathetic and help his constituents.

Two days later, Amadi got a call from the government telling him his paperwork was ready.

From then, it was a countdown to February 1, when Amadi would leave Umuagawo, Nigeria, for Lincolnshire, 6,200 miles away.

Leaving his parents and eight siblings was tough, Amadi said.

At the airport in Lagos, he nearly cried while saying his goodbyes, and then he was off. Lagos to London. London to Chicago.[/b]
That is more than enough.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by almondjoy(f): 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Mar 21, 2008
faketan:

Someone said africans will not benefit if he wins,

Well he is yet to win, and a nigerian has already benefited from his popularity.

[b]Obama helps Nigerian kerosine victim procure visa
By Paul Ohia with agency report, 03.21.2008
Friday, March 21, 2008

United States' Democratic Party presidential hopeful, Barack Obama's presidency may benefit Africans afterall, as the man who is yet to get his party's nod for the race has helped a Nigerian kerosene victim get visa to America.

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

advertisement

Justice Amadi needed help to undergo five surgeries in the US after serious burn from kerosene explosion, the surgery date was set, but getting American visa was not easy.

According to suburbanchicagonews, the 16-year-old Nigerian boy needed a visitor's visa and a passport, which Nigerian government said would take several months to obtain.

By December 2007, three months to his first of five surgeries at Cincinnati's Shriners Hospital, representatives of Libertyville-based Aid Africa's Children contacted Obama's office, hoping that the Illinois Senator would be sympathetic and help his constituents.

Two days later, Amadi got a call from the government telling him his paperwork was ready.

From then, it was a countdown to February 1, when Amadi would leave Umuagawo, Nigeria, for Lincolnshire, 6,200 miles away.

Leaving his parents and eight siblings was tough, Amadi said.

At the airport in Lagos, he nearly cried while saying his goodbyes, and then he was off. Lagos to London. London to Chicago.[/b]
That is more than enough.

but @Faketan, if the organization had contacted anyone else, I bet 80% that the same would have happened. I am not sure if you know it but senators actually serve for emergency situations such as these. Just last year, I contacted the senator in my area to request that she help me get my passport as I needed to travel for a funeral and I was told to send my info in and she would contact the right people to make sure it happens. Obama is a senator and I am sure this is not the first time he has had to handle such.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 10:47pm On Mar 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

but @Faketan, if the organization had contacted anyone else, I bet 80% that the same would have happened. I am not sure if you know it but senators actually serve for emergency situations such as these. Just last year, I contacted the senator in my area to request that she help me get my passport as I needed to travel for a funeral and I was told to send my info in and she would contact the right people to make sure it happens. Obama is a senator and I am sure this is not the first time he has had to handle such.

Well I am aware that they do that for people in their constituency not for a foreigner.

I thought of that before my previous post though.
Thanks for educating me.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Mar 21, 2008
faketan:

Well I am aware that they do that for people in their constituency not for a foreigner.

I thought of that before my previous post though.

I don't think it is necessarily just people in their constituency. In the case which you pointed, he was contacted by an organization. Senators do help businesses and organizations too. By  the way, Clinton has helped a lot of folks too in most the same way.

Anyway, I am beginning to sound like I am a clinton supporter now. I would really love it more if people would open their eyes more to reality and examine every detail before they decide to cast their vote in this election. Instead of making this about race, aside from all the talk and all the show, let us make sure we understand the details of what exactly we are being offered and are getting cause our vote will greatly affect the nation and most of the world considering were we already are now.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 10:56pm On Mar 21, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Almond J
Abeg today na good friday. Just be[b] good [/b] today please. grin grin grin grin
Kobojunkie:

I don't think it is necessarily just people in their constituency. In the case which you pointed, he was contacted by an organization. Senators do help businesses and organizations too. By the way, Clinton has helped a lot of folks too in most the same way.

Anyway, I am beginning to sound like I am a clinton supporter now. I would really love it more if people would open their eyes more to reality and examine every detail before they decide to cast their vote in this election.
Not disputing that Hilary would have done that. I was basing my argument on an ealier comment.
Meanwhile The point is that it is his job as a senator. well taken.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Mar 21, 2008
Obama Attempts to Clarify "Typical White Person" and Which Offensive Comments He Heard at Church
March 21, 2008 4:22 PM

At a press conference today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, was asked to clarify just what he meant when he called his grandmother a "typical white person" (see yesterday's blog post) as well as which controversial remarks he did hear in church.

His response, per ABC News' Sunlen Miller:

"What I was trying to express is something I expressed in the speech, which is that we all harbor stereotypes. That doesn’t make us bad people. It’s simply pointing out that – and by the way, the context in which I stated that is the fear of young black men on the streets. That’s not even unique to white people. African-Americans have incorporated those stereotypes.

"Part of what the speech was about was the stereotypes that still linger in the body politic. The anger, the resentments, and the stereotypes that sometimes serve us publicly and sometimes serve us privately. They’re sometimes directed at African-Americans, but African-Americans harbor their own stereotypes, and that’s part of what was the failure of Rev. Wright’s sermons, was assuming a set of attitudes that weren’t necessarily accurate.

"So it was just a continuation of the broader point that I made. One clarification, because I’ve noticed some of the commentary about the speech – it’s been suggested by a number of conservative commentators, but even some that were favorably disposed towards the speech -- that somehow there was a flip-flop or a contradiction between previous statements about not being aware of Rev. Wright’s statements and my statement in the speech that I was aware of controversial statements he’s made.

"There’s no contradiction there. So I want to be very clear. I was not aware that he had made some of most offensive statements that had been looping on the internet and on the television news.

"I wasn’t aware of the AIDS conspiracy statement, which I think is completely out of line and off the wall.

"I wasn’t aware of his statements, 'God damn America'  Those statements were not ones that I knew about until the story broke a week and a half ago.

"The 9/11 statement I became aware of in the New York Times after I announced my candidacy. And as I said in my previous statement, the reason I did not decide to leave the church was because I saw Rev. Wright retiring.

"Now, I was aware of controversial statements. As I said, he has been a fierce critic on occasion of US foreign policy and domestic policy and in fact in my first book 'Dreams of My Father,' and in 'The Audacity of Hope' I quote him making a comment about racism that I think would be considered controversial but I didn’t think was beyond the pale.

"So that’s distinction that I would make. I just wanted to make sure people were clear – I know Joe Klein had column, for example, that suggested I had admitted something that I didn’t previously, but there’s no contradiction there. I just want to make that as clear as possible."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/03/obama-attempts.html

===================================================================================================================

SomeBody please tell Obama TO SHUT UP before He digs his own grave !!!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 11:16pm On Mar 21, 2008
Well the race issue is a two edged sword.

It is actually difficult to go into it and get out unscathed.

He has actually tried in my own opinion to be neutral.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2008
faketan:

Well the race issue is a two edged sword.

It is actually difficult to go into it and get out unscathed.

He has actually tried in my own opinion to be neutral.

He should not have said what he said in my opinion. I can not even begin to tell you what I would do to anyone who makes such a statement about me.I mean imagine something saying to such to you, "Typical Black Person". That to me is a racist comment and I would seriously take offence. So I completely understand why the hullabaloo and I seriously think he needs to shut up now and do serious damage control over the next month or so.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2008
yea I agree with you that the typical white person thing is not the wisest statement ever.

But he has made the statement and I know Hilary and the media will rivet that hole until an elephant can pass through it.

As I said, barack has tried his best. He has proabaly given them a reasoin not to vote for him as some one said above.

if he wins the Demo primary, I think it will be a miracle.
But the other camps have made some outrageous statements in my own opinion. Such may never have the same kind of riple effect that this will have on barack.

I was watching LKL today and he asked him what he meant by the 'typical white' comment.

His answer was not good enough to me. I felt for him.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Depilot(m): 2:50am On Mar 22, 2008
the pastor's statement is too heavy for these people to handle and may be not necessary to make this kind of statement at this time, but the contents statement are all facts. obama has come out to put things back in place. it may take some time for things to settle down, but i think obama's supporters are strong and want change. the statements will not drive all of them away.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 4:36am On Mar 22, 2008
@Kobojunkie,
In your quest to crucify Jeremiah Wright, please, do not throw away the baby with the bad water. Do not condemn Wright simply because of his controversial speech but check within yourself if what he said is false or true. I only wish Obama would avoid this issue in the future. People should listen to his speech again when the anger must have subsided.
I have this belief that Obama would bounce back from this controversy stronger and go on to win the elections come November. Atleast that speech towards a more perfect union has won him an endorsement and hopefully the recent headlines should reduce the pressures.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 12:08pm On Mar 22, 2008
EmekaNaija:

@Kobojunkie,
In your quest to crucify Jeremiah Wright, please, do not throw away the baby with the bad water. Do not condemn Wright simply because of his controversial speech but check within yourself if what he said is false or true. I only wish Obama would avoid this issue in the future. People should listen to his speech again when the anger must have subsided.
I have this belief that Obama would bounce back from this controversy stronger and go on to win the elections come November. Atleast that speech towards a more perfect union has won him an endorsement and hopefully the recent headlines should reduce the pressures.

My quest to crucify Jeremiah Wright?? LOL . Hold up, I am not crucifying him. You came up with the context argument and I only showed you that that does not even work at all cause the man did say what he said and even by bible standards, it was wrong. Roland on CNN tried the context argument yesterday again and dude, it does not work, why?? Cause the man  did say what he was accused of saying and no matter how much of the sermon you actually read, you realize it was still that he said it and what he said was wrong.

Obama shot himself in the foot with his "Typical White Person" words and that is not me or people doing that to them but they themselves doing it of their own. Look, If you really want to argue for education, at least try to be fair and accept that your side is not the only "educated" side of this. People listen to debates different ways. Some people go in and get carried away by the debator, some people analyze words for meanings while some accept the speech on face value. Why think that just cause the speech wowed you means all educated people will be wowed by the same?? That does not make sense at all and it should be expected in this case cause this is POLITICS. Every Single Politician both in the past and present have have their words and speeches scrutinized and I beg that you apply the same here. We are talking of being fair here and if you are fair, you would realize that using the context argument in both of these cases does not work at all cause

1) In context, what was said remains inexcusable
2) This is politics, everyone should expect to be scrutinized for every word. It happened to romney, hukkabee, Edwards, Clinton, McCain, why not Obama??
3) If Hillary had used the "Typical Black person" phrase in her debate, no matter which, that would have been the very END of her race. I mean even white america, especially those racked with guilt over this racism issue, would have divorced her right there and then (what I believe).LMAO!!!

About the endorsement, I do not think it happened cause of a speech or else we are in trouble. LMAO!! If Speeches were all that then IBB must have been one of the best Presidents we have ever had in Nigeria. LMAO!!!
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 5:19am On Mar 23, 2008
@Kobojunkie

People like you still feel Obama is all about speech, but the truth is that those words are actually motivating and inspiring the nation. America is already structure for any President to succeed. All America misses currently is someone who can inspire it out of the current recession and as we heard it yesterday, Obama is a once-in-a-life-time leader.

Sometimes i wonder if you listen to Obama or you just read what he says, like the typical white person. If you listened to that interview, you'll know he paused a bit but for lack of words, he said that under some pressure. What he was searching for was "ordinary". Sincerley, you know the words came out differently from what he intended. Obama has family in 3 different continents. He is caught in the middle of all this. He has a black family, a white family as well as an Asian family. He represents the America as it should be. He cannot be a racist because he would be discriminating agaisnt his ownself.
Atleast, that speech has won him an endorsement, and as i said earlier, he'll bounce back stronger. Barring any last minute slipups, i believe Obama would recover from the race issue in time before the Pensylvania primaries, and this should be the beginning of the end for Billary Clinton.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2008
More facts are gradually emerging and i believe Jeremiah Wright should be given time to defend himself.
Kobojunkie,
What greater patriotism is expected after a man serves his country as a US Marine?
He is a critic if Bush but describes Clinton as a friend. He is just a normal critic of bad policies of governments.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 3:30am On Mar 25, 2008
EmekaNaija:

@Kobojunkie

People like you still feel Obama is all about speech, but the truth is that those words are actually motivating and inspiring the nation. America is already structure for any President to succeed. All America misses currently is someone who can inspire it out of the current recession and as we heard it yesterday, Obama is a once-in-a-life-time leader.

Where did you get the logic that america needs someone who can inspire it out of current recession What makes you think what america needs NOW is a talker to inspire it? What americans do not have enough inspiration in their life's to serve them a life time and more what in the world do you mean when you say America needs someone to inspire it out of a recession?? How does that happen?? In what universe

Sometimes i wonder if you listen to Obama or you just read what he says, like the typical white person. If you listened to that interview, you'll know he paused a bit but for lack of words, he said that under some pressure. What he was searching for was "ordinary". Sincerley, you know the words came out differently from what he intended. Obama has family in 3 different continents. He is caught in the middle of all this. He has a black family, a white family as well as an Asian family.

Actually the whole "Typical White Person" issue was not for when he made the speech. It was bad when he made the speech but he made it worse later on when someone called him over a radio show to ask him to explain what he meant by that. That was when he blew it completely on that issue.

He represents the America as it should be. He cannot be a racist because he would be discriminating agaisnt his ownself.
Atleast, that speech has won him an endorsement, and as i said earlier, he'll bounce back stronger. Barring any last minute slipups, i believe Obama would recover from the race issue in time before the Pensylvania primaries, and this should be the beginning of the end for Billary Clinton.

Maybe he represents the america you want but I have no complaints of america as it is now. He cannot be racist because he would be discriminating against his ownself?? cough** Cough** You mean you have never met white people who are blacker than even black people when it comes to them carrying the notion that the white man is against them as well?? LMAO!!! Did Bill Richardson tell you that that speech won him over or are you just assuming that on your own?? Even Richardson's own words when he was probed by the media on CNN and I believe MSNBC reveals he did it out of spite for the clintons more than actual support for Obama. Apparently, there have been some issues in the background between the man and the clintons. Look this up, I found it very interesting. Obama and Clinton and anyone else will bounce back sure.

EmekaNaija:

More facts are gradually emerging and i believe Jeremiah Wright should be given time to defend himself.
Kobojunkie,
What greater patriotism is expected after a man serves his country as a US Marine?
He is a critic if Bush but describes Clinton as a friend. He is just a normal critic of bad policies of governments.

You don't get it, do you?? I have read the transcripts and I am sure obama has as well that is why he felt there was need for him to distance himself from Wright's methods and the need to give the speech about Race. If he, Obama saw need to address that issue and making it a talk on racism, what makes you think Wright can in some way, somehow come out to vindicate himself with any defense he cane come up with?? I read the transcripts from his sermons and it is clear the man has racist issues. Why is it hard to accept that a black man can be racist?? Obama did not deny that in his speech. Why then do you feel that the man is being misrepresented when I am a black person myself. I listened to the very same and I know racism when I hear it be it from a white person or a black person. Even Obama heard racism and so felt the need to even use his own grandmother who according to him had racist ideologies for example to explain why he is ok dealing with such people Do you really think you can explain this one away without being fair in your judgment??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Week / *~GEJ inducted into Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Shame - 2011*~ / Nigeria????????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.