Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,607 members, 7,914,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 09:36 AM

Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (3210 Views)

Military Arrests 11-Year-Old Potential Suicide Bomber (Photo) / East Coast Begins To Clean Up And Assess Damage From Hurricane Sandy / Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by naijaway(m): 10:47pm On Mar 18, 2008
The speech was very good and no one wrote it for him like 4play has said. We Africans need to be more enlightened on several issues concerning our race, the society, and the relationship with others; in otherwords, we need to start being proactive and see that those in diaspora can be of good use to us just as we can be of good use to them. So alot of things need to change like we know too well in the case of Nigeria, including good governance and less traditional bulls, in the continent.
The speech is enough for the enlightened and I liked the way he fell short of denouncing the church and the pastor so that some cooperations don't think he can just be manipulated into all sorts of submissions. And @4play, I think you are either an ignorant white or a no good use type sellout and my advice to u is dat, give honor where honor is due and don't hate,relate.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by TCUBE(m): 7:53am On Mar 19, 2008
Obama is caught up in two worlds, firstly, the black side, He himself is a victim of racial injustice of white america and knows what it feels like to be black in america(see how hard the poor dude is working), He gotta be twice better,

The other side, Obama needs white votes, republicans through fox news,/oreily and haniity are using his pastors comments to scare away white voters, The american people are just too gullible, I hate those republicans , esp fox news, why should I man be responsible for the actions of his pastor? why?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by TCUBE(m): 7:55am On Mar 19, 2008
look at the bigger picture people, why should obama be repsonsible for comments made by his pastor? americans are just too gullible, fox news sucks , hannity is an asshol
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 5:31pm On Mar 19, 2008
If you watched CNN's situation room, I think you would be ashamed to say someone wrote his speech for him.

Thank Good there was no black man in the team that analysed his speech, except probably the Asian.

All of them praised him and said he did what no politician in the US has been able to do-to take the bull by horn.
Give it to him. he is a great man. Even if he loses due to white sentiment, he is a great man and a legend of his time.

If he is white, Hillary will not see his back.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 19, 2008
If some people in Nairaland could put up excellent ideas in their comments in few munites, why will anybody think it will be had for Obama to write that speech himself?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2008
nuzo:

If some people in Nairaland could put up excellent ideas in their comments in few munites, why will anybody think it will be had for Obama to write that speech himself?
Ask him.
I think he is one of those blacks who believe that blacks can never get it right or a white supremacist.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 6:33pm On Mar 19, 2008
faketan:

Ask him.
I think he is one of those blacks who believe that blacks can never get it right or a white supremacist.

so quick to jump on the racism bandwagon. You do know that there are professional speech writers right?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Uche2nna(m): 6:41pm On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

so quick to jump on the racism bandwagon. You do know that there are professional speech writers right?

U are absolutely rite (but I wonder who is in charge of writing those of President Bush shocked).

Anyway, having a Prof. writer does not have a racial connotation. It is just acceptable protocol in the lives of public figures.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by chiegemba(f): 7:15pm On Mar 19, 2008
Not surprised! guess he should be prepared for more but i think he got guts though for even tryin to run
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . "OBAMA 4 08". . . . . . . . . . . wink smiley
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Uche2nna(m): 7:16pm On Mar 19, 2008
Chi shocked Wetin u dey do here?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 7:19pm On Mar 19, 2008
naijaway:

We Africans need to be more enlightened on several issues concerning our race, the society, and the relationship with others; in otherwords, we need to start being proactive and see that those in diaspora can be of good use to us just as we can be of good use to them. So alot of things need to change like we know too well in the case of Nigeria, including good governance and less traditional bulls, in the continent.

This is one of our problems right here "African". I dont understand why Nigerians need to worry about other Africans on the basis of skin color, sure it might be an American sentiment because it is a melting pot of cultures, thats perfectly understandable. We really need to stop thinking in terms of "black vs white", we need to be thinking more in terms of "Nationality" rather than race. We should first try to get our s**t together rather than worrying about someone elses. I dont think Obama doesn't need to give a flying rat's ass about Ghana, Nigeria or Liberia's problems solely because he's black.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JeSoul(f): 7:27pm On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

I don't think Obama doesn't need to give a flying rat's ass about Ghana, Nigeria or Liberia's problems solely because he's black.
lol. . . True! Infact he hasn't done anything for his home country kenya in light of the recent drama they've had over there. What makes us think the rest of the african nations are even on his radar?
Perhaps if he wins and becomes prez he might have more sympathetic/generous policies towards african countries. . .but to say he will just cos he's black is being very naive.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by doyin13(m): 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2008
JeSoul:

lol. . . True! Infact he hasn't done anything for his home country kenya in light of the recent drama they've had over there. What makes us think the rest of the african nations are even on his radar?
Perhaps if he wins and becomes prez he might have more sympathetic/generous policies towards african countries. . .but to say he will just because he's black is being very naive.

What I don't understand is the generosity they expect from him being President.

I will gain some satisfaction from a black President thesame way I would the success of the Super Eagles.

but thesame way I don't expect Kanu to distribute his takings I don't expect anything from a Black President afterwards.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by McKren(m): 9:38pm On Mar 19, 2008
Anybody who thinks someone wrote this particular speech for Obama is simply demonstrating the fact that they started talking about Obama because others are.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by champredd(m): 9:52pm On Mar 19, 2008
That is religion in American politics, who said they did not know that the preacher has been making such comments for a long time. Even Revevrend Wright himself was said to have warned Obama to distance himself from him.

Most preachers are usually controversial, especially the outspoken ones.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 11:55pm On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

Haha, there is nothing like jumping on the race bandwagon bros.
If Hilaray has been delivering those beautiful speeches, you will just say she is brilliant. But because she is one of your kind, no, he cannot.

Now you want to tell me that someone wrote the speeches and Hilary campaign team are saying nothing about it. Just lifting a quote from his surrogate was made a big issue let alone when someone writes for him. That sounds silly. If it comes from a black it cannot be real. that is why we are still backward in Nigeria.
An engineer in Nigeria prepared a beautiful project plan to be presented to a governor, and the aid told him that as good as it is, if he does not come along with a white man that  the Governor will not take it serious.The same mentality is still holding some people. I thought living outside nigeria should have floggd the demon of ignornace out of you guys.
Superb tailors will make good cloth in Nigeria only to label it made in America for people to buy them. When I visited home last, all the nigerian made clothes I wore was different in everybodies eye. Hehe, this na baba now. 'a only you de wear all the london cloths' Shine yours eyes. They full ground for your door mouth.

JayFK:

This is one of our problems right here "African". I don't understand why Nigerians need to worry about other Africans on the basis of skin color, sure it might be an American sentiment because it is a melting pot of cultures, thats perfectly understandable. We really need to stop thinking in terms of "black vs white", we need to be thinking more in terms of "Nationality" rather than race. We should first try to get our s**t together rather than worrying about someone elses. I don't think Obama doesn't need to give a flying rat's ass about Ghana, Nigeria or Liberia's problems solely because he's black.

Why did you even border clicking on the link since u do not care.  Ptrobably you do not know that people in far away Japan and othe far east countries are keeping vigil for him. It is now a crime for his own to wish him well.

They print Obama vest and make obama cake for him in Japan. I wonder the why it wrong that african's are interesed.

Probably you are unconsiously interested as that is only natural. 
There is a thin line between racism and species protection. you just need to be a human being to draw the line.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by JayFK(m): 12:50am On Mar 20, 2008
faketan:

If Hilaray has been delivering those beautiful speeches, you will just say she is brilliant. But because she is one of your kind, no, he cannot.

Now you want to tell me that someone wrote the speeches and Hilary campaign team are saying nothing about it. Just lifting a quote from his surrogate was made a big issue let alone when someone writes for him. That sounds silly. If it comes from a black it cannot be real. that is why we are still backward in Nigeria.
An engineer in Nigeria prepared a beautiful project plan to be presented to a governor, and the aid told him that as good as it is, if he does not come along with a white man that the Governor will not take it serious.The same mentality is still holding some people. I thought living outside nigeria should have floggd the demon of ignornace out of you guys.

LMAO! you are definitely jumping on the race wagon bro. Everyone knows that politicians hire speech writers as part of their staff, almost all the presidents of the U.S if not all have hired speech writers, even the great John F Kennedy. Speech writers come from all different ethnic groups just like any other career,this is not a race issue, matter of fact this is a non issue. If you honestly think this is a race issue, you're definitely the one that is ignorant.

faketan:

An engineer in Nigeria prepared a beautiful project plan to be presented to a governor, and the aid told him that as good as it is, if he does not come along with a white man that the Governor will not take it serious.The same mentality is still holding some people. I thought living outside nigeria should have floggd the demon of ignornace out of you guys.
Superb tailors will make good cloth in Nigeria only to label it made in America for people to buy them. When I visited home last, all the nigerian made clothes I wore was different in everybodies eye. Hehe, this na baba now. 'a only you de wear all the london cloths' Shine yours eyes. They full ground for your door mouth.

This has nothing to do with the topic, don't let your distorted vision of race cloud your judgement. How do you know the story you just related to me actually happened? Unless you can prove the story this is simply hearsay.

faketan:

Why did you even border clicking on the link since u do not care. Ptrobably you do not know that people in far away Japan and othe far east countries are keeping vigil for him. It is now a crime for his own to wish him well.

They print Obama vest and make obama cake for him in Japan. I wonder the why it wrong that african's are interesed.

Even an illiterate knows that the U.S is the so called leader of the "free world", whoever is getting elected directly affects us because that would determine their policies towards us. However, most of you especially Africans are supporting Obama solely because he is black, not because of his policies or anything but because he shares the same skin color with you. I bet if Larry Elder were to run for president and was as succesful as Obama is, you people will vote for him because he is black too. If I thought that Hilary's policies were better than Obama's Id be supportive of her, but she supported the War in Iraq, so I'm leaning towards Obama a little bit,since their stances on the major issues are near identical.

faketan:

There is a thin line between racism and species protection. you just need to be a human being to draw the line.

WTF does that even mean?
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Kobojunkie: 12:59am On Mar 20, 2008
faketan:

An engineer in Nigeria prepared a beautiful project plan to be presented to a governor, and the aid told him that as good as it is, if he does not come along with a white man that  the Governor will not take it serious.The same mentality is still holding some people. I thought living outside nigeria should have floggd the demon of ignornace out of you guys.

Why did you even border clicking on the link since u do not care.  Ptrobably you do not know that people in far away Japan and othe far east countries are keeping vigil for him. It is now a crime for his own to wish him well.

Actually,Hillary does a good job by my standards. I am not really on her side either but I will not deny that the woman does seem to have done her homework compared to the other dude, when it comes to who has the better plan in place. I still feel the majority if the fascination with barrack is cause he is the first black man to attempt what he has in so long, if not ever, I stand where Olritimi stands in this. I do hope that people do not loose the momentum when they find out that even as president, he is not as fantastic as their fantasies have led them to believe he would be.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by RichyBlacK(m): 8:31am On Mar 20, 2008
@4 Play,
Stop talking from your ass! Obama is superior to Reagan on every imaginable front! How dare you compare a fresh spring water (Obama) with a stagnant pond water (Reagan). I know you worship your Republican fathers but please stop elevating a man whose only achievement was "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall".

@topic,
Obama's speech was magnificent and the delivery was flawless. All those who have followed his message and understood the dream he has espoused will continue to support him. Unfortunately, America is filled with too many gullible and ignorant people, and many of them would be swayed by the hacks at Fox news.

No matter what happens, Obama has shone a light on the path to achieving the promise of America. May God bless Obama and his family.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by Topsido(m): 10:44am On Mar 20, 2008
amen
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 10:48am On Mar 20, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@4 Play,
Stop talking from your ass! Obama is superior to Reagan on every imaginable front! How dare you compare a fresh spring water (Obama) with a stagnant pond water (Reagan). I know you worship your Republican fathers but please stop elevating a man whose only achievement was "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall".

This is why you are a putrid slowpoke.The above tells us more about your knowledge of history than about Reagan.Not even Obama,who has praised Reagan,will be idiotic enough to claim he has achieved more in his political career than Reagan.

1 Like

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 11:20am On Mar 20, 2008
The speech was very good and no one wrote it for him like 4play has said. We Africans need to be more enlightened on several issues concerning our race, the society, and the relationship with others; in otherwords, we need to start being proactive and see that those in diaspora can be of good use to us just as we can be of good use to them. So alot of things need to change like we know too well in the case of Nigeria, including good governance and less traditional bulls, in the continent.
The speech is enough for the enlightened and I liked the way he fell short of denouncing the church and the pastor so that some cooperations don't think he can just be manipulated into all sorts of submissions. And @4play, I think you are either an ignorant white or a no good use type sellout and my advice to u is that, give honor where honor is due and don't hate,relate.

This is why my people toil away forever in manual labor when they come to the West.How will they ever get through verbal aptitude tests? grin 4 Play said this speech was written for Obama,where?

If you don't support Obama,you are a sellout.You want to bring your Nigerian "tribal" mentality to serious issues.

Politicians don't write speeches because they don't have the time.They tend to delegate this responsibility.However,pretty much every one of those major US politicians can write their own speeches if they have the time.Even the linguistically challenged Bush used to write eloquent speeches for his father while the latter was President.

Is Obama naturally eloquent a la JFK,MLK or Churchill in unscripted environments?Anybody who has seen him during his numerous debates will know he is obviously not.That is why he is known as the teleprompter candidate

He was the only candidate,in either party, delivering his speeches via a teleprompter in those party primary nights events.

1 Like

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by RichyBlacK(m): 6:13pm On Mar 20, 2008
4 Play:

This is why my people toil away forever in manual labor when they come to the West.How will they ever get through verbal aptitude tests? grin 4 Play said this speech was written for Obama,where?

If you don't support Obama,you are a sellout.You want to bring your Nigerian "tribal" mentality to serious issues.

Politicians don't write speeches because they don't have the time.They tend to delegate this responsibility.However,pretty much every one of those major US politicians can write their own speeches if they have the time.Even the linguistically challenged Bush used to write eloquent speeches for his father while the latter was President.

Is Obama naturally eloquent a la JFK,MLK or Churchill in unscripted environments?Anybody who has seen him during his numerous debates will know he is obviously not.That is why he is known as the teleprompter candidate

He was the only candidate,in either party, delivering his speeches via a teleprompter in those party primary nights events.

Your post above has confirmed to me that your IQ is in the single digits. When will you stop talking from your ass? Baba himself tell us say nyash na for shit no be for talk.

What's your problem with Obama? The other time you were trying your very best to make Obama look inferior to Mitt Romney (a forgotten nonentity), today you're trying to make him look like an incompetent speaker. People who started analyzing political speeches before you were conceived have called Barack Obama an orator, and gone as far as comparing him with great speakers like FDR, JFK and MLK.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by RichyBlacK(m): 6:18pm On Mar 20, 2008
[size=14pt]The White Preacher Double Standard: How Hagee, Parsley and the Rest Get Away with Everything[/size]
By Cenk Uygur, Huffington Post
Posted on March 19, 2008, Printed on March 20, 2008
http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.huffingtonpost.com//80253/

Rudy Giuliani's priest [/b]has been accused in grand jury proceedings of [b]molesting several children and covering up the molestation of others. Giuliani would not disavow him on the campaign trail and still works with him.

Mitt Romney was part of a church that did not view black Americans as equals and actively discriminated against them. [/b]He stayed with that church all the way into his early thirties, until they were finally forced to change their policies to come into compliance with civil rights legislation. [b]Romney never disavowed his church back then or now. He said he was proud of the faith of his fathers.

Jerry Falwell said America had 9/11 coming because we tolerated gays, feminists and liberals. It was our fault. Our chickens had come home to roost, if you will. John McCain proudly received his support and even spoke at his university's commencement.

Reverend John Hagee has called the Catholic Church the "Great LovePeddler." He has said that the Anti-Christ will rise out of the European Union (of course, the Anti-Christ will also be Jewish). He has said all Mu.slims are trained to kill and will be part of the devil's army when Armageddon comes (which he hopes is soon). John McCain continues to say he is proud of Reverend Hagee's endorsement.

Reverend Rod Parsley believes America was founded to destroy Is.lam. Since this is such an outlandish claim, I have to add for the record, that he is not kidding. Reverend Parsley says Is.lam is an "anti-Christ religion" brought down from a "demon spirit." Of course, we are in a war against all Mu.slims, including presumably Mu.slim-Americans. Buts since Parsley believes this is a Christian nation and that it should be run as a theocracy, he is not very concerned what Mu.slim-Americans think.

John McCain says Reverend Rod Parsley is his "spiritual guide."

What separates all of these outrageous preachers from Barack Obama's? You guessed it. They're white and Reverend Jeremiah Wright is not. If it's not racism that's causing the disparity in media treatment of these preachers, then what is it?

I'm willing to listen to other possible explanations. And I am inclined to believe that the people these preachers go after are more important than the race of the preacher. It's one thing to go after gays, liberals and Mu.slims - that seems to be perfectly acceptable in America - it's another to accuse white folks of not living up to their ideals.

I think there is another factor at play as well. The media is deathly afraid of calling out preachers of any stripe for insane propaganda from the pulpits for fear that they will be labeled as anti-Christian. But criticism of Rev. Wright falls into their comfort zone. It's easy to blame him for being anti-American because he criticizes American foreign and domestic policy.

If Rev. Wright had preached about discriminating against gay Americans or Mu.slims, there probably would not have been any outcry at all. That falls into the category of "respect their hateful opinions because they cloak themselves in the church."

But one thing is indisputable - the enormous disparity in how the media has covered these white preachers as opposed to Rev. Wright. Have you ever even heard of Rod Parsley? As you can see from what I listed above, all of these white preachers have said and done the most outlandish and offensive things you can imagine - and hardly a peep.

If the disparity in coverage isn't racist, then what is it?

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by faketan(m): 6:44pm On Mar 20, 2008
JayFK:

LMAO! you are definitely jumping on the race wagon bro. Everyone knows that politicians hire speech writers as part of their staff, almost all the presidents of the US if not all have hired speech writers, even the great John F Kennedy. Speech writers come from all different ethnic groups just like any other career,this is not a race issue, matter of fact this is a non issue. If you honestly think this is a race issue, you're definitely the one that is ignorant.

This has nothing to do with the topic, don't let your distorted vision of race cloud your judgement. How do you know the story you just related to me actually happened? Unless you can prove the story this is simply hearsay.

Even an illiterate knows that the US is the so called leader of the "free world", whoever is getting elected directly affects us because that would determine their policies towards us. However, most of you especially Africans are supporting Obama solely because he is black, not because of his policies or anything but because he shares the same skin color with you. I bet if Larry Elder were to run for president and was as succesful as Obama is, you people will vote for him because he is black too. If I thought that Hilary's policies were better than Obama's Id be supportive of her, but she supported the War in Iraq, so I'm leaning towards Obama a little bit,since their stances on the major issues are near identical.

WTF does that even mean?

All the way it is a win, win situation for him.

If JFK and co became famous for the speeches written by others for them to read as you guys are suggesting, what is wrong in Obama being applauded for doing the same. Why crucify him. Should you not congratulate him for following the footsteps of the legends?
And why is it that Hillary have not been able to get same.

The link on teleprompter you gave even called hillary a wood. remember that piece was written 3 months ago. The guy would have written another since. probably he has been silenced.
Guys Obama rocks.
Wether he wins or not, he has done well.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 8:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Your post above has confirmed to me that your IQ is in the single digits. When will you stop talking from your ass? Baba himself tell us say nyash na for shit no be for talk.

What's your problem with Obama? The other time you were trying your very best to make Obama look inferior to Mitt Romney (a forgotten nonentity), today you're trying to make him look like an incompetent speaker. People who started analyzing political speeches before you were conceived have called Barack Obama an orator, and gone as far as comparing him with great speakers like FDR, JFK and MLK.

If you didn't reason like a pathological oaf,I might take you seriously.Obama gives eloquent speeches,the product of an army of gifted speech writers. The question is whether Obama's natural oratory,without the aid of speech writers,is particularly remarkable.

There is an excellent way to verify.Listen to him talk at press conferences and during the presidential debates.Here,the opportunity for scripted speech is virtually lost.Not even the most deranged Obamaniac would claim that Obama epitomises eloquence on these occasions.

Anybody who has listened to JFK,MLK or even contemporaries like George Galloway(whose politics I loath) will bear witness to their incredible ability in totally unscripted occasions.I don't like the politics of the likes of Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton but I would concede they are gifted orators and would sound even better if they had Obama's speech writers.

I do not belong to the club of glib naifs who instantly believe that Obama must have written his last speech because,wait for it,his campaign team said so!

Lets see more of this supposed eloquence in unscripted occasions.I have witnessed more unscripted eloquence from Adams Oshiomole than Obama.

1 Like

Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by aderaskeey(m): 8:24pm On Mar 20, 2008
This Obama issue is quite an emotional one that I don't want to be caught in its web. that is why I suscribe to the fact that he was "caught in the middle of political crossfires" as elaborated in this site: http://thenewsofchange.com/index.php?topic=7.0
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 11:05pm On Mar 20, 2008
To all the hypocrites:
How many times have anyone of you disowned your father for saying controversial things? How many people here decided never to visit their parents just because of some comments you did not agree with?
What do you guys want this Obama guy to do? Should he reject his black church and his mother's white family because of their comments? The Clintons are the only ones that seem to understand the racial issues and has desisted in making a comment. Bill Clinton should waive politics aside and address this issue in other to bail out the Democratic party. Obama is the only one who can beat Mcain in the November election.

On a brighter side, i believe this issue has cleared any doubts that Obama is a full christian and not a moslem. Obama was brilliant in raising this issue as a national one. It is left for Americans to answer the question about racism, to ensure the much needed change, else we'll continue in this web of deciet and racism.
Mark my words: Obama shall surely bounce back once the Hillary schedule is properly scrutinized. The forces agaisnt change is numerous, but like everything else, the only constant thing in life is change, and this country is fully ripe for change.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2008
EmekaNaija:

To all the hypocrites:
How many times have anyone of you disowned your father for saying controversial things? How many people here decided never to visit their parents just because of some comments you did not agree with?
What do you guys want this Obama guy to do? Should he reject his black church and his mother's white family because of their comments?

Rev Wright is now Obama's father? You get to choose your pastor but you don't get to choose your parents or family.There is a world of difference between the two.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 11:16pm On Mar 20, 2008
@4 play,

There are 2 kinds of fathers: spiritual and physical. Obama has shown great courage in taking the high risk of standing with his pastor. Whether it destroys him politically or not, i believe he made the right decision, and i believe that is what judgement is all about. In a couple of weeks, this issue would die naturally when all the anger has subsided and people are more able to reason. Anger impairs proper reasoning.
This message of hope remains unchanged. It is the same when we are down and when we are up. dare to believe.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by 4Play(m): 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2008
EmekaNaija:

@4 play,
There are 2 kinds of fathers: spiritual and physical.

grin grin

Well,if this risible classification was the case,the correct question you should have posed initially should have been:[i]will you disown your pastor for saying controversial things?[/i]A lot of people would say,yes.

Again,I stress,the salient issue is the fact that Obama in his wisdom took the decision to become involved with this particular purveyor of incendiary remarks.Rev Wright was well known for his kooky ideas.This was a man that,in the 60s, chose the path proposed by Malcom X over the uniting message of love preached by Martin Luther King.

For Obama,whose campaign is predicated on his supposed ability to unite the nation,to have gotten "into bed" with this rabble rouser is particularly telling.Action speaks louder than words.

In a couple of weeks, this issue would die naturally when all the anger has subsided and people are more able to reason. Anger impairs proper reasoning.

This is wishful thinking.This issue will continue to resonate till the general election.Obama has been hemorrhaging support in the polls ever since this issue came to light.
Re: Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments by EmekaNaija(m): 12:07am On Mar 21, 2008
This is wishful thinking.This issue will continue to resonate till the general election.

It will continue to resonate but by then the anger would have subsided and people should be able to reason. It is so unfortunate that this comes weeks before the Pensylvannia's primaries. I'm happy Obama has reassured his support base with his speech. Relax, and see what happens in the weeks ahead.

Why i'm i even arguing with this guy. Didnt know you were in London. You cannot predict the American people because events ahead could still determine where the pendulum swings. As at now, it is impossible for Clinton to lead in the pledged delegate count uptill the convention. It is only the Superdelegates who can tilt it in her favor. The media still has a very great influence, so just relax. Obama has done fantastically well for standing up to both republican and Clinton political machine.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi Builds 30 Bridges Across Riverine Communities In Rivers State / *~GEJ inducted into Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Shame - 2011*~ / Mimiko And His Intimidating Achievements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.