Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,195 members, 7,903,932 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:20 AM

Atheism Is A Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion (1599 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Atheism Is A Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 24, 2013
For a group of people to bring themselves together,sharing ideas and even addressing themselves by a name(atheism) shows that a new religion has been formed.whether atheism is the lack of belief in a god or not,it is still a religion as long as u hide under that umbrella or cherish a fellow atheist just like other religions do to their fellows.
An advice to atheist:if u dont believe in a god,leave those that do and stop luring them to your side.

oya logicboy,ooman,manmustwacc,advocate666 etc make una start to dey pour saliva on this wan
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by munmight(f): 11:04am On Feb 24, 2013
All those soo called atheist are all anti christ! Jesus is alive. Thank you
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Areaboy2(m): 12:11pm On Feb 24, 2013
oh yea?

missionary style is also a form of abstinence undecided

This is actually how stupid what you just said sounds. I hope you are clever enough to connect the dots undecided
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
Good morning Seg,

I don't think Atheism is meant to be practiced as a religion but the way some individuals practice it, you can't help but say: this guy is into religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by manmustwac(m): 1:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
Atheism is not a religion, religions are not formed based on the lack of belief in a god. I am both irreligious & non religious. Checkout the definitions for both words here
irreligious : neglectful of religion : lacking religious emotions, doctrines, or practices <so irreligious that they exploit popular religion for professional purposes — G. B. Sh

nonreligious lacking religious emotions, principles, or practices <grew up in a nonreligious family>
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Enigma(m): 1:05pm On Feb 24, 2013
^^^ Una fit protest till kingdom come, evangelical atheism is now a religion. Even some atheists acknowledge it, including some evangelical atheists themselves. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 24, 2013
Atheism's a religion? Wow, that's new..

AA's also a binge drinking group..
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 24, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Una fit protest till kingdom come, evangelical atheism is now a religion. Even some atheists acknowledge it, including some evangelical atheists themselves. smiley
Christianity doesn't need 'evangelical' to qualify it as a religion.

:-P
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 24, 2013
musKeeto:
Christianity doesn't need 'evangelical' to qualify it as a religion.

:-P

Evangelical atheism?

What next?

Evangelical agnosticism?

This is why I hve stopped arguing on NL. I realise that some desperate and ignorant people who have realised that they have no agruments for their religion and cant argue logically against atheism are looking for straw men/troll tactics to win.

Evangelical atheism is an oxymoron for those who are rational. One can only be evangelical about a religion/faith which atheism is not and for the most time, opposed to since most religions believe in a god. It is quite a circular argument to say atheism is a religion because it can be evangelical (which it even cant).

mirror false argument- God is real because he exists.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Enigma(m): 1:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
As Fela talk am: looku and laughu! smiley

Evangelical atheism (to be more precise) has long been established to be a religion.

Some even use the broader "atheism" as with the American Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (among others) who ruled that atheism is a religion. smiley

cool
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 2:18pm On Feb 24, 2013
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Una fit protest till kingdom come, evangelical atheism is now a religion. Even some atheists acknowledge it, including some evangelical atheists themselves. smiley
help me tell them grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
Enigma: As Fela talk am: looku and laughu! smiley

Evangelical atheism (to be more precise) has long been established to be a religion.

Some even use the broader "atheism" as with the American Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (among others) who ruled that atheism is a religion. smiley

cool
help me tell dem o
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

x2
minus x2 because logicboy is still on the thread;if he decides to go,then it means d truth has hit him grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by PastorAIO: 7:56pm On Feb 27, 2013
For those of you who hate 'definitionism', close your eyes and don't read this post.

It all depends on what you mean by Religion. There are many different definitions of Religion. To many people Religion just means a system of Belief. I once got into a discussion with someone and their proof was that in German language Religion is translated as Glauben which simply means belief. I was stumped. Even in yoruba it is Igbagbo which also means belief.

By this definition whatever you believe is your religion. Communism too would be a religion. Theory of Evolution-ism would be a religion.

What I personally mean when I talk about Religion is a set of practices and disciplines that brings reconciliation to a fractured existence. It involves the belief that there is a rift between a person and his God, a person and his environment, an aspect of a person and the rest of his being, etc And this belief is followed by practices that seek to heal the rift.

By this definition Atheism is not and can never be a religion. And many so called religious people whose religion revolves around a set of doctrines which you either accept or reject are in my opinion NOT religious at all. By this definition the christianity of many is not a religion at all. While the practicing Atheist Buddhist is practicing a religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Kay17: 9:18pm On Feb 27, 2013
[size=50pt]all Evangelical Theists are therefore DEBUNKED by a Lagos State High Court Ruling! [/size]
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by onetrack(m): 10:08pm On Feb 27, 2013
Enigma: As Fela talk am: looku and laughu! smiley

cool

For tax purposes only. In the US religious organizations are exempt from paying taxes, so some atheist organizations, desiring the same tax-exempt status as religious organizations, requested to have the status of a religion. That's all. If people who have some common religious belief can form as organization that collects money and then pays no taxes, than atheists deserve the same.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by PastorAIO: 2:23am On Feb 28, 2013
onetrack:

For tax purposes only. In the US religious organizations are exempt from paying taxes, so some atheist organizations, desiring the same tax-exempt status as religious organizations, requested to have the status of a religion. That's all. If people who have some common religious belief can form as organization that collects money and then pays no taxes, than atheists deserve the same.

Chei, these lawyers get sense o! Them know how to find loop hole and technicalities, and to take language somersault. What a shame say these skills no dey avail person for religion or spiritual reality.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Enigma(m): 8:34am On Feb 28, 2013
onetrack:

For tax purposes only
. In the US religious organizations are exempt from paying taxes, so some atheist organizations, desiring the same tax-exempt status as religious organizations, requested to have the status of a religion. That's all. If people who have some common religious belief can form as organization that collects money and then pays no taxes, than atheists deserve the same.

Nah, mate! That is entirely wrong both legally and factually. It was not for tax purposes only at all. wink

smiley
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by InesQor(m): 12:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Atheism in general is not a religion, but some atheists (so called evangelical atheists) make a religion out of their atheistic beliefs.

"He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
InesQor: Atheism in general is not a religion, but some atheists (so called evangelical atheists) make a religion out of their atheistic beliefs.

"He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

[img]http://t.qkme.me/35y0xh.jpg[/img]

He who fights a dragon for too long becomes a dragon. How dumb. I suspect that Ghandi became a British Imperialist and MLK became a racist segregationist

Also, what are these atheist beliefs?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by InesQor(m): 12:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Logicboy03:
[img]http://t.qkme.me/35y0xh.jpg[/img]

He who fights a dragon for too long becomes a dragon. How dumb. I suspect that Ghandi became a British Imperialist and MLK became a racist segregationist
Try to refrain from being irreverent if you will engage me in a conversation else I'll just leave you to your impertinence. I strongly believe you can discuss like an educated person without resorting to insults.

I never said Nietzsche's quote was an absolute certainty, I placed it there for the sake of context, to show a possibility of risk in colligating with an ideology that you would rather not associate with.

Logicboy03:
Also, what are these atheist beliefs?
A belief in the inexistence of God, for instance, is a core Atheist personal belief. How this belief affects other personal experiences in turn will become a collection of personal belief systems.

Now, when this collection of personal beliefs becomes an organized system due to associations with other people sharing the same beliefs and doubts, especially when (in the case of evangelical atheists) they seek to grow their numbers by proselytizing to others; then it is no longer just one man's personal belief system; it's just as well a religion.

Consider a Wikipedia definition of religion:
Religion is an organized collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.
Inasmuch as evangelical atheism involves an organized collection of world views that relate humanity to moral values (as an example), then it can be classed as a religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
InesQor:
Try to refrain from being irreverent if you will engage me in a conversation else I'll just leave you to your impertinence. I strongly believe you can discuss like an educated person without resorting to insults.

I never said Nietzsche's quote was an absolute certainty, I placed it there for the sake of context, to show a possibility of risk in colligating with an ideology that you would rather not associate with.

[size=18pt]A belief in the inexistence of God[/size], for instance, is a core Atheist personal belief. How this belief affects other personal experiences in turn will become a collection of personal belief systems.

Now, when this collection of personal beliefs becomes an organized system due to associations with other people sharing the same beliefs and doubts, especially when (in the case of evangelical atheists) they seek to grow their numbers by proselytizing to others; then it is no longer just one man's personal belief system; it's just as well a religion.

Consider a Wikipedia definition of religion:
Religion is an organized collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.
Inasmuch as evangelical atheism involves an organized collection of world views that relate humanity to moral values (as an example), then it can be classed as a religion.

You have succeeded in turning your subjective and fallacious opinion into a fact that you believe.

1) Notice the highlighted word in your comment. That is a disbelief not a belief. A disbelief in God. Do you call your disbelief in Santa a belief?

2) Not only are you wrong, you wanted to turn a "negative belief" into a "set of beliefs".

3) You then claim that what a belief leads one to multiple things to believe in is now the core set of beliefs of a religion. So Hitler believed in Jesus but then went on to kill Jews and fight wars in the name of Jesus. Is it in the set of beliefs of christians to kill Jews and fight wars against non-aryans?

4) An atheist can not be evangelical https://www.nairaland.com/1208378/atheist-not-evangelist-atheist-lesson (a preaching of no belief-)

5) The only way you can barely manage to call atheism an organised belief because of atheist conventions, is to accept that a dentist convention is actually an organised belief. You then make useless the meaning of belief/religion
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
InseQr,

Note that you have failed to mention an atheist belief. Not a single one.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) Notice the highlighted word in your comment. That is a disbelief not a belief. A disbelief in God. Do you call your disbelief in Santa a belief?

Dude, it really won't kill you to think a little or tell a little truth. Every belief is a disbelief rotated 180°. If I believe that God exists, I cannot also believe that He doesn't so my belief in God's existence is a disbelief in His inexistence. Conversely, a disbelief in God's existence is a belief in His inexistence just like InesQor said. It is disingenous to insist you have no beliefs when you do have and admit that you do have disbeliefs.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Dude, it really won't kill you to think a little or tell a little truth. Every belief is a disbelief rotated 180°. If I believe that God exists, I cannot also believe that He doesn't so my belief in God's existence is a disbelief in His inexistence. Conversely, a disbelief in God's existence is a belief in His in existence just like InesQor said. It is disingenous to insist you have no beliefs when you do have and admit that you do have disbeliefs.

You win the award for the most foolish comment on Nairaland.

In summary, there is no such thing as a disbelief because a disbelief is a actually a belief. Thank you very much, I never knew that people could be this delusional
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Dude, it really won't kill you to think a little or tell a little truth. Every belief is a disbelief rotated 180°. If I believe that God exists, I cannot also believe that He doesn't so my belief in God's existence is a disbelief in His inexistence. Conversely, a disbelief in God's existence is a belief in His in existence just like InesQor said. It is disingenous to insist you have no beliefs when you do have and admit that you do have disbeliefs.
Classic
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
toba:

Ihedinobi:

Classic ignorance

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

You win the award for the most foolish comment on Nairaland.

In summary, there is no such thing as a disbelief because a disbelief is a actually a belief. Thank you very much, I never knew that people could be this delusional

Why should I believe you who are probably the dumbest Nairalander I ever conversed with? undecided
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Why should I believe you who are probably the dumbest Nairalander I ever conversed with? undecided

Wow...someone is butthurt smiley

How can you call me dumb? You do know that I have repeatedly destroyed your mentor called Anony?

(1) (2) (Reply)

In The Begining, Was The WORD, What Is The Word. / Vatican Calls On Muslim Leaders To Condemn Christian Persecution In Iraq / Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.