Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:52 AM

P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award (9636 Views)

Poll: p-square's do me video and jimmy jatt&co's video

p-square do me video: 61% (42 votes)
dj jimmy jatt&co stylee video: 38% (26 votes)
This poll has ended

M.i's Album "The Chairman" Number One (worldwide) On Hip Hop In Itunes / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? / P-Square: Peter & Paul Okoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 2:00pm On Mar 25, 2008
BREAKING NEWS:PSQUARE SAYS HIP HOP WORLD AWARD IS A SHAME
By Niyi Tabiti
Tue, 18 Mar 2008
Music News  Text Only |   |   

Psquare
Psquare,one of Nigeria's most popular hip hop group have come out to describe their inability to pick an award at the hip hop world award as a 'tribal' attack.The group were nominated in 5 different categories but ended up going home with nothing.

This afternoon, I was at the home of the group and they voiced out their bitterness through Jude 'Engee'Okoye, their elder brother and manager. Jude said Ayo Animashun dissapointed them by making sure that only peopleof South West origin (Yoruba) won awards except for Ruggedman,Timaya and 2face Idibia.He alleged that 'Stylee' the song that won the best music video is a trash compared to the 'Do Me' video he did for Psquare.DJ TEE won the award because he shot it.He noted that DJ Tee is the technical director for the award and his wife is also a top official of HipTv, owned by the award organisers.In his words "That award should have been called Yoruba Hip Hop award"

He also alledged that Rugged Man's name was smuggled into the list at the last minute because the name was not on the original long list earlier published in newspapers or magazines.

Efforts to get the award organisers today proved abortive.An industry source who does want his name mentioned disclosed that Psquare should stop crying like babies.They should accept their fate, afterall in the past,they have carted home awards from the same Hip Hop World and nobody said they didn't deserve it.

source;mcmodernghana.com

what do you think of p-square's controversial comment? and is there anything to it as everybody seems to have diffrent views on it,please contribute and no immature comments please thanks
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 2:01pm On Mar 25, 2008
sorry,the source is modernghana.com
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by Bgal(f): 2:12pm On Mar 25, 2008
Psquare's comments were unfair. However, I believe that they deserved 1 award at least. Very unfortunate.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by MojiEsther(f): 2:17pm On Mar 25, 2008
Did jude really say those things? And i'd be dissappointed if Psquare is not happy about the award ceremony. They've carted away more than 3 awards in past Hip Hop world awards ceremony -at a go-and no one said "ojoro".
Come to think of it, i think stylee is a good video but not as wonderful as the hype people keep giving to it. And then what jude said about stylee getting best video cos the director's wife works with hip hop world, ? Dunno wat to think, kind of make awkward sense.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by pheesayor(m): 4:45pm On Mar 25, 2008
kpshewwwwwwwwwww!!!
It's the normal naija sense, when it's in ur favour nobody hears u when it's against you, u blow up. They should accept their fate at least they've won so many awards already. Even my boy (faze) didnt win any and no one is complaining
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by skingo(m): 5:28pm On Mar 25, 2008
no doubt p2 had a bad ass album. almost every track there was a hit single.
u knw. its serious. so for them not to receive an award. u wonder, what are the criteria for winning a nomination? and what makes the artiste in the category that won actually iwnn it? i dont understand. last year freestyle was king of rap. its crazy.
i cant shout sha. psquare should just make more music and leave the rest to the judgement of the public.
as it seems, hhw awards is a comittee giving awards to who they decide deserves it. but the criteria for winning an award is not adequte.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tosinadeda: 5:47pm On Mar 25, 2008
In as much as i feel the same way they feel,but they shld remember that they ve won 8awards and nobody said if it was fair or not!
So i see no reason y they shld rubbish the awards cos they didnt win the award,no matter how glaring it is.
Its jst not professional of them at all
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2008
i had misgivings right from when wande coal got the next rated award , because i thought it should have gone to gt the guitarman, i think jude's comments were unfair as well but im picking on some points like jimmyjatt's wife working with hiphop world, even in all promotions and things of this nature,its normally written at the bottom that employees and their family are not allowed so that they will not have an unfair advantage and i think hiphop world should come out and make a statement clarifying that, i also agree they deserved at least 1 award dunno why faze didnt get an award cause i believe he should get an award instead of 2face , what dyu guys think of the rugged man angel being smuggled into it ?do you reckon it makes sense or just bull crap?
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 25, 2008
P****y Square r dumb ass twins.Am neva a fan of stuggies.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2008
olayokun:

P****y Square r dumb ass twins.Am never a fan of stuggies.

sorri dude,wats a stuggie?never heard of tha b4 lol
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tundewoods(m): 8:39pm On Mar 25, 2008
Now lets be both realistic and technical about this whole issue.

First of all i think the out burst of emotions displayed by psquare is understandable to some degree,however raising ethnic sentiments is quite childish.Secondly if the reports about Jude Okoye's comments are true,then i believe his remark about DJ Jimmy Jatt's "Stylee" video being trash compared to their "Do me" video is both laughable and pathetic.

Now lets be realistic and technical,The "Do me" video is no doubt is a good video however DJ Jimmy Jatt's "Stylee video" iis a better video.No hard feelings.Forget about all the hype Psquare Video generated here in Nigeria. Go ask Alex Okosi of MTV Base which Nigerian musical video was the most requested and rotated video last years.The answer is a capital "STYLEE".

Honestly the release date of the "Game Over" was the last quarter of the year and it was quite lucky or better still unlucky to have been nominated for the 2008 awards.

The simple conclusion is this the Psquare Game Over album was quite good however the other Artist Albums and videos in the same nomination categories were better.

Lastly Wande Coal deserved to win the award for the NEXT RATED artiste,He is certainly a better vocalist than GT the guitarman.The votes clearly shows this.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by mfolarin(m): 8:52pm On Mar 25, 2008
kpom! case closed grin
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by bgees(m): 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2008
Its a shame that p-square can show their ignorant and stupid side.i cant believe we still people like these who scream tribalism at every dissappointment.
Yes,STYLEE WAS A BETTER VIDEO THAN do me.u dont have to get a 100 girls to make a hit video.
Only GOD knows how jude okoye reasons. P-square have just shown how ARROGANT and STUPID they are.

Considering d fact that these p-square guys dont really do much when making their songs,all they do is to sample other people's songs illegally.then they dont deserve any award.

1 Like

Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by bgees(m): 10:27pm On Mar 25, 2008
Its a shame that p-square can show their ignorant and stupid side.i cant believe we still people like these who scream tribalism at every dissappointment.
Yes,STYLEE WAS A BETTER VIDEO THAN do me.u dont have to get a 100 girls to make a hit video.
Only GOD knows how jude okoye reasons. P-square have just shown how ARROGANT and STUPID they are.

Considering d fact that these p-square guys dont really do much when making their songs,all they do is to sample other people's songs illegally.then they dont deserve any award.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by Uche2nna(m): 10:38pm On Mar 25, 2008
bgees:

Its a shame that p-square can show their ignorant and stupid side.i can't believe we still people like these who scream tribalism at every dissappointment.
Yes,STYLEE WAS A BETTER VIDEO THAN do me.u don't have to get a 100 girls to make a hit video.

Considering d fact that these p-square guys don't really do much when making their songs,all they do is to sample other people's songs illegally.then they don't deserve any award.
Sample?  undecided   I thot that was the preserve of "Maintain". What songs did P square sample? undecided

@ topic
I think they made a mistake when they brought tribal sentiments into it. Afterall, they have awards from those same guys before. It would be more logical to bring the criteria on which the awards were given than crying about tribe. But it also seems weird because I want to assume that it is based on these criteria that they picked up their awards in the past edition of the ceremony. I think their album was dope and so do many others. So let them just enjoy the commercial success. Afterall Kanye West thot his album was dope but MTV did not think so
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tosinadeda: 10:54pm On Mar 25, 2008
They are arrogant idiots!
This is an award they won 5times in the 1st year, they won 3 the 2nd year making 8 in two years!
Now cos they didnt win any this year they bring in tribal beef!
Thats so stupid and unproffesional of them
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by WarfyBoy(m): 11:31pm On Mar 25, 2008
I NO SUPPORT WETIN jUDE TALK SHALL, BUT AT THE SAME TIME, THAT STYLEEE NO DESERVE D AWARD AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLL! GAWWWWWWD, ANYTIN IN NAIJA IS CONNNECTION, IF U R NOT CONNECTED 3 D SOURCE DEN U R OUTCAST

4Q 'EM ALL
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 12:31am On Mar 26, 2008
i dont know much about the awards o but i dont want to believe the hip hop guy will be silly enough to allow something he has been building up for years to degenerate to connections , i still think gt worked harder than wandecoal,having said that i guess they have their criteria for voting ang choosing the awardee which i dont know
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by nguage(m): 12:32am On Mar 26, 2008
First off, the whole Nigerian award thing was so damn disorganized and fake. The producers just give out awards to whoever has a song on the damn radio. Shit, I remember when EEdris used to win that award like everyday and that dusthead has to be the most untalented thing God ever created.

Next up P-queer, these battyboys need to realise they are only good when they dance, so I will support them if  it was a dance award.

Someone needs to tell P-queer to snap out of illusion and realize they are NOT musicians. They rip other people's songs, throw a loop on it, play a little guitar, sing in a terrible voice, dance in the video and dummies buy their albums. I will rather tie a rope around my neck and kill myself before buying a p-queer album
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by pheena: 12:37am On Mar 26, 2008
hey be warned this will be lengthy!

lets not always be hasty to cry wolf when things dont go our way
the power of communication can not be under estimated in this matter especially the internet

while other artists took it upon themselves asking their fans in face book, my space and on their websites to vote for them
i guess p-square were busy celebrating b4 hand thinking the battle has been won

the Do me video was good and the quality too was good but i would have been disappointed if it won the best video
because it had nothing new in it just a bunch of ladies dancing which is getting rather boring we need creativity like
Asa's fire on the mountain's video which didnt win in that category becos stylee is a more popular choice.
and becos asa like psquare only RL the video towards the end of last year

4get sentiments we were all given the opportunity to vote
among una wey dey complain how many of una vote 4 una artist
na campaign after election una dey do so.
i voted even more than once for the artist i wanted to win.
most of my vote and those of my friends tallied with those who won

p-square shld wipe their tears  cry and stop being childish
4get about tribalism in this matter as many of their fans
are also from the so called "south-west"
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tosinadeda: 12:52am On Mar 26, 2008
So wut are u trying to prove now?
Make we dey try talk sense jare.
What has lyrics got to do with a good video??
The video is good,prob d best video out of naija now
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by chiogo(f): 12:56am On Mar 26, 2008
ummm, the award people forced it!!!!! 5 nominations and no single award??
the comment made by the manager aka elder brother was tribalistic, yes but
still, they have a right to be angry. I don't even listen to naija music but i can at least manage to
listen to theirs. I can say that i like 'Do me' and 'no one like you' from their Game over album but
I don't even know the other guy mentioned or any of his songs. As for those sayin' that they're not
original, if u ask me, there're really no 'original' artistes in naija. That's d reason y most of 'em suck
Cuz they try to be what they're not. As for P-Square, they must be usin' some kind of magical powers
Cuz their 'copying' seems to be workin'.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by chiogo(f): 1:07am On Mar 26, 2008
Thunder fire ur head. . can u read at all?? anywayz, who got time for u?? *sucks teeth*
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tosinadeda: 1:56am On Mar 26, 2008
Abeg try listen to asa
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 2:09am On Mar 26, 2008
asa is good but like i always say,i think she s copy and paste tracey chapman, she s talented but not unique great video tho
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by tosinadeda: 3:21am On Mar 26, 2008
U definately dnt know d talent in asa,wut do u mean copy and paste of God knows who?
Abeg o
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by lucabrasi(m): 3:58am On Mar 26, 2008
tosinadeda:

You definately dnt know d talent in asa,what do u mean copy and paste of God knows who?
Abeg o

read my post,i never said she wasnt talented but the concept she s going on now is not original its 99% tracey chapman,go on you tube and search and listen to tracey chapman and then make the judgement,asa has the talent do doubt but it ll pay off for her in the long run to be brave enough to explore new angles and infuse more original indigenous stuffs into her music,lagbaja did,even femi and seun kuti added to their father's repertoire
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by nasyl(m): 4:09am On Mar 26, 2008
Hey peps,i respect u guys comments.But i tink p2 are not bad at all.The copying thin abt dem,i dont understand.Their new album was full of hits and i c no sign of copycat apart 4m 'Am i still dat special man' dey kind of use craig david-rendezvous beat.Wat dey say abt d award wasnt rite because dey ve been winnin it without anyone nagging.But to be honest dey deserve atlist one award out of 5 nominations.Ah! Dat was wicked.Sign out
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by enque(f): 8:45am On Mar 26, 2008
@ hi grace,

make u try take chill pills 4 dem p-square na, see as u yab dem so taay u create ur own version of dem song. guy cool down abeg,
n pls u guys shldnt turn dis place to psuare battle ground ooooooooo!.
d awards have come nd gone, too bad they didnt win afta all d high hopes, hypes and expectations. they shld still look 4ward to their other nominations in other awards yet to come like d SMVA 2008.
awon psquare fans, una pele o, shocked
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by twinstaiye(m): 8:46am On Mar 26, 2008
Do me video is only one scene video compare to that of Stylee, I still believe the organiser try their best in coming up with the awardees, tribal sentiments apart. Perhaps, the starter of this thread can put a poll to determine among nairalanders whether indeed Do me video is better than stylee.
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by enque(f): 8:50am On Mar 26, 2008
@ twinstaiye,
true talk about d poll.

@ poster,
we r waitin o
Re: P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award by enque(f): 9:05am On Mar 26, 2008
@ twinstaiye,
true talk about d poll.

@ poster,
we r waitin o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cossy Orjiakor To Launch Album In December / burna boy gets nominated for grammy again / Sexy Ladies Video [download]- Timaya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.