Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,113 members, 7,977,212 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 10:19 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (495947 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 4:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
DELETED should be banned from nairaland. He has just put somone in a big mess!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by StarTrek222: 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2013
Eduson002 I called the number and spoke to them, it seems there were not certain if it works this way, they said it is possible the released date may show up, but that they don't think it is immediate, it may take hours or it may be next day...my impression was that they just did not know how it works, seems the appointment system is managed by the Embassy itself

eduson002: StarTrek this is very simple.if u want to be sure call now US visa appointment Line on 094601748 to confirm.AFter calling them,pls refer back let's do it at a convenient time.Thanks

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
@ferdimako

I'm really disappointed. And for your request about allowing that individual to advertise here consider it non-starter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
fittty: DELETED should be banned from nairaland. He has just put somone in a big mess!

Please do you have a link to his profile?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
If you paid less than the official $175 charged by ETS for the TOEFL Test, then I tell you authoritatively, the guy scammed you and shortchanged ETS. I know what he did, because I almost fell into that trap too. What they do is that, they get credit cards from those scammers, use the credit card (which isn't theirs) to register for you. Hence, the fee they collected from you will be cheap since the money they used to pay for the test isn't theirs. I only pray for you, that the card doesn't charge back, before your exam or before you have a chance to view and print your scores. Otherrwise, once ETS attempts to verify the payment (which they do, but I dunno how they do that), the card company will decline the payment and charge ETS extra money for the deception or whatsoever. ETS will they withold your scores until you pay up. And they'll even add additional $20 (the chargeback fee the credit company levied them). Hope I made sense o! Just my 2 cents

You are spot on! Its a common online fraud, that happens even in ebay and Amazon, people using stolen credit card to pay for goods online then resale cheaper or they buy things for you online, pay with stolen credit card then collect cash from you. When the police trace the delivery address you get arrested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
I have always wondered why some people claimed they register TOEFL at a much cheaper price than the official test fee of $175. Then someone told me that it is possible because they buy TOEFL vouchers or something which is cheaper than paying online at the official ETS fee.

House, how true is that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 5:26pm On Jun 25, 2013
bigfrancis21: I have always wondered why some people claimed they register TOEFL at a much cheaper price than the official test fee of $175. Then someone told me that it is possible because they buy TOEFL vouchers or something which is cheaper than paying at the official ETS fee.

House, how true is that?
It's a lie jor! cheesy If such vouchers exists, you think everyone won't rush and pay for their TOEFL with it? grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

You are spot on! Its a common online fraud, that happens even in ebay and Amazon, people using stolen credit card to pay for goods online then resale cheaper or they buy things for you online, pay with stolen credit card then collect cash from you. When the police trace the delivery address you get arrested.
I'm tired! People never learn. They think they can wheedle their way through an "Oyinbo" payment site. One way or the other, you'll always get caught! sad
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
If you paid less than the official $175 charged by ETS for the TOEFL Test, then I tell you authoritatively, the guy scammed you and shortchanged ETS. I know what he did, because I almost fell into that trap too. What they do is that, they get credit cards from those scammers, use the credit card (which isn't theirs) to register for you. Hence, the fee they collected from you will be cheap since the money they used to pay for the test isn't theirs. I only pray for you, that the card doesn't charge back, before your exam or before you have a chance to view and print your scores. Otherrwise, once ETS attempts to verify the payment (which they do, but I dunno how they do that), the card company will decline the payment and charge ETS extra money for the deception or whatsoever. ETS will they withold your scores until you pay up. And they'll even add additional $20 (the chargeback fee the credit company levied them). Hope I made sense o! Just my 2 cents
True talk. 'Awuuuf they say, dey burst belle'. I fell in the same trap sometimes last year and I had to pay double as ETS withheld my scores. Ever since the incidence, I strongly believed in doing things 'YOURSELF' and never look for a fast route.....NLnd is the best forum mheeeeen!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

Please do you have a link to his profile?

No I don't. Been searching for it too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 5:42pm On Jun 25, 2013
fittty:

I guess he uses another ID...searching for it. Thanks anyway
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by coachee1(m): 5:49pm On Jun 25, 2013
[quote author=justwise].....i no fit laugh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2013
eucharia64: Can a submitted ds form still be accessed online? i cannot recall what i filled for my sponsor if it was brother or uncle. Can anyone remember if their is any thing like brother on d ds form? Better still can anyone recall the options for sponsor on the ds form? If yes please spell it out

Yes. A submitted form can be retrieved online. Visit the DS-160 site, use the retrieve application link, enter the ds code, answer the security question and the retrieve it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
bigass: Ïf you defer an admission from fall 2012 to fall 2013 can you defer again to spring 2014

It all depends on the school. Many schools only permit deferment once. It all lies in the hands of your admissions office. Contact them first and verify.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
FIZIK: Has nybody here profiled for internet banking in GTbank been able to pay for visa fee online without visiting the bank. It isn't working for me and I profiled all my accounts wit them. i have their token too.

No, the visa fee online payment has been long disabled. I tried paying online myself since I'm a GTB account holder and my card has been profiled online but it didn't work. Had to go pay in-person. When I got to GTB I asked the officer and he said you can no longer pay online. So just walk to your nearest GT Bank branch and pay. Doesn't take time unless the link is down which might take a few minutes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 25, 2013
The guy has really messed up. Let him pray that they do not ban him from taking the TOEFL Test. This is obviously one of the reasons SEVIS cannot be paid in Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 6:12pm On Jun 25, 2013
fittty:

Got his ID and he is banned.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 25, 2013
Im going to a place ive never been, to a life ive never seen... MA JE KO WO ORI MI
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

He said he used voucher but what I don't know if the payment via that option is cheaper. I remember paying via voucher in 2001.But it was paper-based and I mailed the package to the Netherlands.

So it is either after calling tomorrow to ascertain the authenticity of the payment or we all wait till my results come home and it's released that I will pay. And going by what Nigerians are capable of doing, I will follow the latter. Note it wasn't just the reduced money...but the easiness and prompt delivery. So everyone should hold on while I come out the guinea pig,'confirmedly' scammed (not paid yet)or okay. Mr Amefrica, what is your take and situation? Mr DELETED paid for you right?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by doctor234: 6:50pm On Jun 25, 2013
Had my interview this morning at V.I, 10.30 appointment. I was anxious as I had been refused Immigrant visa before as a 12 year old. I was also going it with a substantial amount of loan from the school and a little scholarship, no personsal or family funding!
Inteview went like------

Me (with a well practiced smile):- Good morning madam
VO:- Hello good morning. Could you pass your documents?
Me:- Here they are. She suddenly starts scrolling through the computer for what looked like eternity and I was scared she was checking the details of the previous application.
Vo:- So what are you going to do in the US
Me:- To pursue a masters degree in Public health at Harvard University
Vo:- That's good. so why Public Health.
Me:- (I smiled as I had memorised one answer I saw on nairaland) It is the science and art of preventing disease, blah blah. As a Doctor I dont want to cure patients alone, I want to help in disease prevention in Nigeria blah blah
Vo:- (Lookin impressed with my last answer) So how did you come across the school?
Me:- I did a lot of my research on the internet and also my school professor (the dean of public health) who is also my mentor helped in finding the right schools (formatting!!!)
Vo:- did you apply to any other schools
Me:- Yes I did, Was accepted at John Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Harvard
Vo:- So how did you choose, never mind, ( with a wide grin! ) I guess you chose the best school
Me:- (Smiling back) Yes, I did
Vo:- Did you write GRE
Me:- I wrote GRE (Trying to bring it out)
Vo:- Dont worry, I dont need it. So how do you intend to pay for your school fees (packing my documents together)
Me:- I got full funding from the university in forms of loans and scholarship
Vo:- (Picking the popular white paper I've been hoping to get) You can pick up your visa and other documents at Ikeja on friday.
Me:- Thank you ma
Vo:- You're welcome. Have fun at Harvard!
I packed my sack of documents and left ( Of all the people that came today I probably brought the biggest load of documents because of my past denial record but wasnt ask for any except the regular 4/5)
I heaved a sigh of relief and said Thank you Jesus.

Lessons learned:
1) God's time is the best, keep comitting your plans to him, if you are meant to travel out, you'll go at the right time. If not try and make sense in 9ja
2) There is a bias towards Popular and highly ranked schools, even though they wont admit it, pls choose your schools wisely
3) If you're computer literate, dont use an agent for your school runs and application process, learn on the job with the help of anybody that has gone through the process. A guy didnt even know abt the sevis receipt because agent just pack everything give am! ( He was denied, reasons unknown though)
4) Prepare for the interview, nairaland was very helpful. There wasnt a question asked that i hadnt prepare to answer, even the stance, the smiles, the confident look. Just give it your best, because he no easy to spend one year preapare make dem come go deny you visa in 5mins.

Dats all!!!!:-)

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

Please don't ban me or hide my posts so that we can see the end. I am the one taking the risk now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eduson002(m): 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
doctor234: Had my interview this morning at V.I, 10.30 appointment. I was anxious as I had been refused Immigrant visa before as a 12 year old. I was also going it with a substantial amount of loan from the school and a little scholarship, no personsal or family funding!
Inteview went like------

Me (with a well practiced smile):- Good morning madam
VO:- Hello good morning. Could you pass your documents?
Me:- Here they are. She suddenly starts scrolling through the computer for what looked like eternity and I was scared she was checking the details of the previous application.
Vo:- So what are you going to do in the US
Me:- To pursue a masters degree in Public health at Harvard University
Vo:- That's good. so why Public Health.
Me:- (I smiled as I had memorised one answer I saw on nairaland) It is the science and art of preventing disease, blah blah. As a Doctor I dont want to cure patients alone, I want to help in disease prevention in Nigeria blah blah
Vo:- (Lookin impressed with my last answer) So how did you come across the school?
Me:- I did a lot of my research on the internet and also my school professor (the dean of public health) who is also my mentor helped in finding the right schools (formatting!!!)
Vo:- did you apply to any other schools
Me:- Yes I did, Was accepted at John Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Harvard
Vo:- So how did you choose, never mind, ( with a wide grin! ) I guess you chose the best school
Me:- (Smiling back) Yes, I did
Vo:- Did you write GRE
Me:- I wrote GRE (Trying to bring it out)
Vo:- Dont worry, I dont need it. So how do you intend to pay for your school fees (packing my documents together)
Me:- I got full funding from the university in forms of loans and scholarship
Vo:- (Picking the popular white paper I've been hoping to get) You can pick up your visa and other documents at Ikeja on friday.
Me:- Thank you ma
Vo:- You're welcome. Have fun at Harvard!
I packed my sack of documents and left ( Of all the people that came today I probably brought the biggest load of documents because of my past denial record but wasnt ask for any except the regular 4/5)
I heaved a sigh of relief and said Thank you Jesus.

Lessons learned:
1) God's time is the best, keep comitting your plans to him, if you are meant to travel out, you'll go at the right time. If not try and make sense in 9ja
2) There is a bias towards Popular and highly ranked schools, even though they wont admit it, pls choose your schools wisely
3) If you're computer literate, dont use an agent for your school runs and application process, learn on the job with the help of anybody that has gone through the process. A guy didnt even know abt the sevis receipt because agent just pack everything give am! ( He was denied, reasons unknown though)
4) Prepare for the interview, nairaland was very helpful. There wasnt a question asked that i hadnt prepare to answer, even the stance, the smiles, the confident look. Just give it your best, because he no easy to spend one year preapare make dem come go deny you visa in 5mins.

Dats all!!!!:-)
Congrats Doctor!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
@Ferdimako, I dont know who DELETED is.. But our case looks similar, let's jez wait n see..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by winbyforce: 7:03pm On Jun 25, 2013
@doctor234,Congrats!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
When will people learn for God's sake?. Do You need a prophet to tell You that registering below the stipulated ETS charge is a scam?. Now, see what You guys have gotten yourself into.

We all really need to change the way We reason, We tend to blame our government for being corrupt and spoilt but in reality, We are not helping matters too 'coz why would a genuine student who made up His mind to sit for an exam fall for this?. It would even have been better not writing it at all.

The other day I was angry because my school's official courier said they do noy accept credit card payment from Nigerians, this is why they do not trust Us!

#Justwise, please see to it that this guy is banned totally from this thread... He is a disgrace to Our dear Country!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 7:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
Amefrica: @Ferdimako, I dont know who DELETED is.. But our case looks similar, let's jez wait n see..

You don't know him? You can tell that lies to a month old baby, i thought he paid for you and now you don't know him
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2013
olarwarlay: When will people learn for God's sake?. Do You need a prophet to tell You that registering below the stipulated ETS charge is a scam?. Now, see what You guys have gotten yourself into.

We all really need to change the way We reason, We tend to blame our government for being corrupt and spoilt but in reality, We are not helping matters too 'coz why would a genuine student who made up His mind to sit for an exam fall for this?. It would even have been better not writing it at all.

The other day I was angry because my school's official courier said they do noy accept credit card payment from Nigerians, this is why they do not trust Us!

#Justwise, please see to it that this guy is banned totally from this thread... He is a disgrace to Our dear Country!!!

justwise:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 7:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
ferdimako:

He said he used voucher but what I don't know if the payment via that option is cheaper. I remember paying via voucher in 2001.But it was paper-based and I mailed the package to the Netherlands.

So it is either after calling tomorrow to ascertain the authenticity of the payment or we all wait till my results come home and it's released that I will pay. And going by what Nigerians are capable of doing, I will follow the latter. Note it wasn't just the reduced money...but the easiness and prompt delivery. So everyone should hold on while I come out the guinea pig,'confirmedly' scammed (not paid yet)or okay. Mr Amefrica, what is your take and situation? Mr DELETED paid for you right?

You really believed that there is a genuine voucher out there people can lay hands on easily that is cheaper than the official price?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2013
@doctor234, congrats. Welcome aboard
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
Amefrica: @Ferdimako, I dont know who DELETED is.. But our case looks similar, let's jez wait n see..

Yeah,when did u pay? I think I will keep his money till I see my results.

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (401)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.