Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,455 members, 7,917,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 02:50 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (493191 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

You really believed that there is a genuine voucher out there people can lay hands on easily that is cheaper than the official price?

I am still thinking hard. When he mentioned voucher, that struck me.I really don't know how reduced it is to use voucher. All I will find out tomorrow from ETS. Again I may still hold back his cash until I see my TOEFL results.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 7:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
ferdimako:

I am still thinking hard. When he mentioned voucher, that struck me.I really don't know how reduced it is to use voucher. All I will find out tomorrow from ETS. Again I may still hold back his cash until I see my TOEFL results.

Just pray that at no point in future will the transaction be linked to you, because if he used stolen credit card to buy the voucher then when the police starts their investigation the whole transactions will be traced.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:56pm On Jun 25, 2013
ferdimako:

Please do call ETS tomorrow and verify that TOEFL voucher registration thing. I since heard about it but because I was not sure about it as a trusted means of TOEFL registration, I didn't bother putting it up here on the forum for people to see. I even tried googling about it but got very little information on it.

From your post I'm getting the feeling that you've not yet paid the guy right? But he has paid for you already using his money? Am I right? Well, hold off paying him yet until you call ETS tomorrow and verify the TOEFL voucher registration means as a legal means of payment. Also find out from ETS the process involved in the voucher registration and then find out whether its the same process the guy went through when he was registering for you. When you confirm all these and the guy is clear then you can go ahead pay him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
justwise:

You don't know him? You can tell that lies to a month old baby, i thought he paid for you and now you don't know him

I dont know VAN DER SAR.. I only know raised2glory..
I think ive made myself clear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Please do call ETS tomorrow and verify that TOEFL voucher registration thing. I since heard about it but because I was not sure about it as a trusted means of TOEFL registration, I didn't bother putting it up here on the forum for people to see. I even tried googling about it but got very little information on it.

From your post I'm getting the feeling that you've not yet paid the guy right? But he has paid for you already using his money? Am I right? Well, hold off paying him yet until you call ETS tomorrow and verify the TOEFL voucher registration means as a legal means of payment. Also find out from ETS the process involved in the voucher registration and then find out whether its the same process the guy went through when he was registering for you. When you confirm all these and the guy is clear then you can go ahead pay him.

Yeah and I'll still see the need to be sure my results will be released since they won't stop me from doing the test. But can withhold results asking for a proper and genuine payment if it proves it was a case of stolen credit card or this voucher I don't know much about.I can't pay twice for this! His cash is safe in my account.

ETS should come to Nigeria to know the commonest and easiest way to pay so that these things will be reduced. They act as if they don't know they have got a big business (TOEFL,SAT & GRE)with Nigerians in Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 8:31pm On Jun 25, 2013
bigass: Ïf you defer an admission from fall 2012 to fall 2013 can you defer again to spring 2014

Sure, you can ..

Just inform your school and explain why you want to defer again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 8:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
theDonBee: Hi guys, has anyone here applied or been admitted to Illinois State University. would love to share info

I have a friend their..What do you need to know about the school?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tweetty: 8:56pm On Jun 25, 2013
heelo. house. congrats to dose dat got deir visa. anyone flyin emirate to iah on juky 16. nid companion.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Jun 25, 2013
doctor234: Had my interview this morning at V.I, 10.30 appointment. I was anxious as I had been refused Immigrant visa before as a 12 year old. I was also going it with a substantial amount of loan from the school and a little scholarship, no personsal or family funding!
Inteview went like------

Me (with a well practiced smile):- Good morning madam
VO:- Hello good morning. Could you pass your documents?
Me:- Here they are. She suddenly starts scrolling through the computer for what looked like eternity and I was scared she was checking the details of the previous application.
Vo:- So what are you going to do in the US
Me:- To pursue a masters degree in Public health at Harvard University
Vo:- That's good. so why Public Health.
Me:- (I smiled as I had memorised one answer I saw on nairaland) It is the science and art of preventing disease, blah blah. As a Doctor I dont want to cure patients alone, I want to help in disease prevention in Nigeria blah blah
Vo:- (Lookin impressed with my last answer) So how did you come across the school?
Me:- I did a lot of my research on the internet and also my school professor (the dean of public health) who is also my mentor helped in finding the right schools (formatting!!!)
Vo:- did you apply to any other schools
Me:- Yes I did, Was accepted at John Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Harvard
Vo:- So how did you choose, never mind, ( with a wide grin! ) I guess you chose the best school
Me:- (Smiling back) Yes, I did
Vo:- Did you write GRE
Me:- I wrote GRE (Trying to bring it out)
Vo:- Dont worry, I dont need it. So how do you intend to pay for your school fees (packing my documents together)
Me:- I got full funding from the university in forms of loans and scholarship
Vo:- (Picking the popular white paper I've been hoping to get) You can pick up your visa and other documents at Ikeja on friday.
Me:- Thank you ma
Vo:- You're welcome. Have fun at Harvard!
I packed my sack of documents and left ( Of all the people that came today I probably brought the biggest load of documents because of my past denial record but wasnt ask for any except the regular 4/5)
I heaved a sigh of relief and said Thank you Jesus.

Lessons learned:
1) God's time is the best, keep comitting your plans to him, if you are meant to travel out, you'll go at the right time. If not try and make sense in 9ja
2) There is a bias towards Popular and highly ranked schools, even though they wont admit it, pls choose your schools wisely
3) If you're computer literate, dont use an agent for your school runs and application process, learn on the job with the help of anybody that has gone through the process. A guy didnt even know abt the sevis receipt because agent just pack everything give am! ( He was denied, reasons unknown though)
4) Prepare for the interview, nairaland was very helpful. There wasnt a question asked that i hadnt prepare to answer, even the stance, the smiles, the confident look. Just give it your best, because he no easy to spend one year preapare make dem come go deny you visa in 5mins.

Dats all!!!!:-)

Congratulations harvardite.
@Bolded...that's so true. Going to popular and top schools works like magic at the interview. Why should they even deny you anyway? grin

Where did you have your interview, Lagos or Abuja? Was it the contentious Chinko lady that interviewed you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2013
doctor234: Had my interview this morning at V.I, 10.30 appointment. I was anxious as I had been refused Immigrant visa before as a 12 year old. I was also going it with a substantial amount of loan from the school and a little scholarship, no personsal or family funding!
Inteview went like------

Me:- Here they are. She suddenly starts scrolling through the computer for what looked like eternity and I was scared she was checking the details of the previous application.
Me:- (I smiled as I had memorised one answer I saw on nairaland) It is the science and art of preventing disease, blah blah. As a Doctor I dont want to cure patients alone, I want to help in disease prevention in Nigeria blah blah
Vo:- (Lookin impressed with my last answer) So how did you come across the school?
Me:- I did a lot of my research on the internet and also my school professor (the dean of public health) who is also my mentor helped in finding the right schools (formatting!!!)
Vo:- So how did you choose, never mind, ( with a wide grin! ) I guess you chose the best school
Vo:- Dont worry, I dont need it. So how do you intend to pay for your school fees (packing my documents together)
Vo:- (Picking the popular white paper I've been hoping to get) You can pick up your visa and other documents at Ikeja on friday.
I packed my sack of documents and left ( Of all the people that came today I probably brought the biggest load of documents because of my past denial record but wasnt ask for any except the regular 4/5)

Lessons learned:
1) God's time is the best, keep comitting your plans to him, if you are meant to travel out, you'll go at the right time. If not try and make sense in 9ja
2) There is a bias towards Popular and highly ranked schools, even though they wont admit it, pls choose your schools wisely
3) If you're computer literate, dont use an agent for your school runs and application process, learn on the job with the help of anybody that has gone through the process. A guy didnt even know abt the sevis receipt because agent just pack everything give am! ( He was denied, reasons unknown though)
4) Prepare for the interview, nairaland was very helpful. There wasnt a question asked that i hadnt prepare to answer, even the stance, the smiles, the confident look. Just give it your best, because he no easy to spend one year preapare make dem come go deny you visa in 5mins.

congrats Doctor... though Harvard is an automatic visa approve for any applicant.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
tweetty: heelo. house. congrats to dose dat got deir visa. anyone flyin emirate to iah on juky 16. nid companion.
Going to jfk...but I guess the first leg flight to dubai should be the same.
what time is yours?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by favourland: 10:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
I want to say a big thank you to everyone in this forum. Your contributions and comments have greatly led to the success of my interview at the Lagos consulate office today(10:30am, window 1). It was my first and only time. Praise God. Please, let's keep up the good works in this forum. Cheers!!! smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 25, 2013
favourland: I want to say a big thank you to everyone in this forum. Your contributions and comments have greatly led to the success of my interview at the Lagos consulate office today(10:30am, window 1). It was my first and only time. Praise God. Please, let's keep up the good works in this forum. Cheers!!! smiley wink cheesy grin

Congrats. Pls share your experience
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 11:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
Inteview went like------

Lessons learned:

Congrats Doc.

They rarely deny students going to top schools or students who got funding.. Even it happens when you go job interview in the USA.. They interview Graduate from low-rank schools but chat with Graduate from top schools. To be candid, this is not discrimination/bias. Guys from top schools know their onions. They are making things happening in the world..Even, their dropouts are fires.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2013
favourland: I want to say a big thank you to everyone in this forum. Your contributions and comments have greatly led to the success of my interview at the Lagos consulate office today(10:30am, window 1). It was my first and only time. Praise God. Please, let's keep up the good works in this forum. Cheers!!! smiley wink cheesy grin

Congratulations, favourland. Cheers.
Do drop for us your experience of success.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Jun 25, 2013
jimtosam:

Congrats Doc.

They rarely deny students going to top schools or students who got funding.. Even it happens when you go job interview in the USA.. They interview Graduate from low-rank schools but chat with Graduate from top schools. To be candid, this is not discrimination/bias. Guys from top schools know their onions. They are making things happening in the world..Even, their dropouts are fires.
grin grin
Men, your mouth is big oo. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 11:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
jimtosam:

Congrats Doc.

Yea i agreed with you, we saw what they did to financial sector, recession since 2008, billions lost, top graduates making things happen indeed.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 11:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
MrDr Annonymous, I just emailed you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Flawlessdiva1(f): 12:09am On Jun 26, 2013
Inteview went like------

Lessons learned:

Congratulobia!!
Me: you got an accept at Johns hopkins, why didn't you go there?
House: Boston or Baltimore, maryland?
You: your answer(s) please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 26, 2013
Flawless~diva:

Congratulobia!!
Me: you got an accept at Johns hopkins, why didn't you go there?
House: Boston or Baltimore, maryland?
You: your answer(s) please?

Johns Hopkins is actually ranked #1 in public health in the US as against Harvard at #3 but then it's more expensive (I think) and it offers less financial aid ( at least to international students).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Flawlessdiva1(f): 12:29am On Jun 26, 2013
annoymous:

Johns Hopkins is actually ranked #1 in public health in the US as against Harvard at #3 but then it's more expensive (I think) and it offers less financial aid ( at least to international students).
Noted. Thanks. You got a partner here. Great you seek to explore PH rather than start all øver. God's grace!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 12:43am On Jun 26, 2013
I miss my US thread home. Few more days, I'll be active here again.

@annoymous, Date1985 and doctorWHO

Cheers brothers!

Enjoy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:06am On Jun 26, 2013
imperiouxx: I miss my US thread home. Few more days, I'll be active here again.

@annoymous, Date1985 and doctorWHO

Cheers brothers!

Enjoy.

Where you been, man? The house misses ya!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:50am On Jun 26, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Where you been, man? The house misses ya!

I'm fine. Having issues that require serious attentions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tweetty: 6:04am On Jun 26, 2013
@apachiahopachia its 8:30pm. yeah am stoppin fr an hr or so at dubai
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oyetpel(m): 6:57am On Jun 26, 2013
Amefrica: Omo e no easy oo.. I applied to a school online on sunday, so i got their email, telling me dat theyve received my application for admission, requesting me to verify d mailing address i provided..
My questions...
1. I just applied without even paying the app fee
2. I used d address of our former house
3. Ive not even sent any package, transcript, toefl, waec etc
Answers/Advices are needed..
which school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 7:01am On Jun 26, 2013
My brother is my sponsor and his bank statement will be accompanied with a letter from his bank addressed to the US embassy stating his financial capability. Do I still need either an affidavit of support or a letter from my brother on his company letter head addressed to the US embassy?
I'll also like to know the background colour for the 2x2inches photo. And how many copies of the photo would I need?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 26, 2013
flynbird: My brother is my sponsor and his bank statement will be accompanied with a letter from his bank addressed to the US embassy stating his financial capability. Do I still need either an affidavit of support or a letter from my brother on his company letter head addressed to the US embassy?
I'll also like to know the background colour for the 2x2inches photo. And how many copies of the photo would I need?

Background colour - white
Take two - you'll need only one though.
You can go with a letter from your brother or an affidavit of support just to be on the safe side.

@flawlessdiva and imperioux, thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401)

Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.