Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,626 members, 7,889,003 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:15 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491399 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tdalton700: 5:12pm On Aug 02, 2013
so sorry but just curious... can some one please give me a concrete reason why VIU (Virginia international university ) shouldnt be an option ...And why is an admission from them a no no at the embassy... pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 5:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
Find Out!:
House.

Got my visa at the Abuja embassy today. After waiting in vain for dates in lagos, i decided to choose Abuja, i got 16th August, applied for emergency and was able to book 1st August.

Appointment was for 10:45am. Wanted to fly in early this morning, decided against it and went yesterday afternoon, good decision it turned out to be as both flights (yesterday's and this evening's return) were delayed by an hour each (20 & 30 minutes officially undecided ).

Anyway, got to the embassy some minutes before 10, about 15 minutes later, the security guys announced that everyone for 10:30 and 10:45 should come in. We did security checks and all...e.t.c...

Fastforward...

Now, there were only 2 VOs interviewing, a man and a woman. Both were asking lots of questions, but the man was granting more than the woman even tho man denied a good number of people too.

For everybody who came for a student visa, his first two questions after you state the name of your school were: "What state is the school located in?" & "What part of the map is the state located, north, south, west east, where?"

As it turned out, only few got both questions right, especially the second. At a point, i couldn't supress giggles when a guy going to Ball State university (which is in Indiana) was asked what state his school is located and he confidently answered "Ball state" after a few seconds hesitation. He was asked a few questions later before he was denied.

@FINDOUT CONGRATULATION ON UR VISA....WELL IT WAS THAT SAME MAP QUESTION THE GUY WAS ASKING THE MOST ND THAT WAS THE QUESTION THAT FAILED ME I THINK...AND ALSO ANSWER TO THE QUESTION U ASKED ME.....MY LAST INTERVIEW WAS NOT AN EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT !!!! CONGRAT ONCE AGAIN.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2013
@FINDOUT NO AND CONGRAT AGAIN ON UR VISA

Your last interview, was it an emergency appointment date you got? If no, then you can request for an emergency appointment. the instructions are some posts behind.[/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by castrogee(m): 5:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
[/b][b] hello nairalanders, please I need a little clarifications out of your kind heartedness. I wish to go to the states for my masters degree... And having applied to north Carolina agricultural and technical state university; I wish to inquire among other things the following:
is my choice of university a good option.
How long does it take a university to process an admissions applications.
And lastly what's the processing times or waiting period for an academic visa into the state.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 5:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
@BIGFRANCIS AND IMPERIOUS say sumtin..i have paid another visa fee now and no dates in Lagos yet....have been denied 3times now,am going for the 4th time.....u guys should HELP ME OUT....What u tink i rili need to do....see we are like Brothers help me out sad...it getting sad too much....Getting Delayed aiint Good...now am planing to use an agent to get a date now,and i will go to the embassy with my MuM and see what happens again...am not saying they Grant Visa when they see my Mum....But The confidence will be there am sure....House Help out plsssss Help needed smh #SAD
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by virginice: 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2013
grin Lolsssssssss!!!!!!!!@ obese
imperiouxx: @Ms virgin,

You can still count and remember the number of tats? Continue, soon you will loss count. Then you'll start with obese and also loss count. After losing count of everything within some few weeks, you'll take Americans as they are and blend in.

Welcome home baby!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:21pm On Aug 02, 2013
eedrism: @BIGFRANCIS AND IMPERIOUS say sumtin..i have paid another visa fee now and no dates in Lagos yet....have been denied 3times now,am going for the 4th time.....u guys should HELP ME OUT....What u tink i rili need to do....see we are like Brothers help me out sad...it getting sad too much....Getting Delayed aiint Good...now am planing to use an agent to get a date now,and i will go to the embassy with my MuM and see what happens again...am not saying they Grant Visa when they see my Mum....But The confidence will be there am sure....House Help out plsssss Help needed smh #SAD

Since you believe your mom by your side will make a big difference...... Your faith makes you heal. Get the date and try that but I must tell you that showing there often after many records of denial without any change in your data is risky.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dammie12: 6:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
Find Out!:

Thanks smiley

Guys, please i need something clarified. The date on my I-20 for me to report to school is 11th August. My school is in Indiana. Now, can I get into JFK (point of entry in this case) on the 10th and arrive Indiana on the 11th or 12th? (Greyhound abi Ekene dili chukwu grin things) In essence, what i'm trying to ask is, is that date strictly important for the point of entry alone? Coz i hear if I get to the point of entry later than that date, I may be denied or seriously delayed entry. Please advise. Thanks. Note that whole intl students orientation week does start on the 12th, grad students orientation starts on the 14th.

Where in Indiana is your school? If you can get a flight to Chicago ORD, that will be good because its another point of entry just like JFK. Chicago to Indiana depending on the school shouldnt be more than 3hrs drive. (Not greyhound anyway). With greyhound, 5 hours at most.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 6:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Glad to know its NiTDA scholarship. I was aware last year when the scholarship was on. I started applying sef. I created an account, filled out the form and then got to the document upload page and discovered the NYSC requirement meanwhile I had just finished University then. I even emailed them asking if I could still apply without NYSC discharge certificate and they replied me immediately saying I should wait till next year's program when I should have been through with my NYSC. So I stopped my application. sad I still have my username and password with me. sad

Though I don't like the bond part where you must return to work in Nigeria.

Congratulations anyway!

"bolded.. You forgot the fact that you are not being forced to return immediately. All they stated was to return to naija to work for 3 years which is not difficult for me cos I dont plan to die in the USA.. All I need is gather enough knowledge in USA through schooling and working as long as I wish and return to Nigeria to be a director at a very good agency like NITDA and serve for as long as I can which would surely be more than three years
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:30pm On Aug 02, 2013
imperiouxx:

It's painful seeing them thrashing your stuffs at the airport angry I feel like slapping that guy when he thrashed my deodorant detected in my bag by that mumu scanner angry

I always put all that in my check-in bag. In cases where I don't, I make sure I bring them out and place in the plastic bag they provide - this is when I am double sure the toiletries meet their minimum requirements.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:33pm On Aug 02, 2013
foohard:

"bolded.. You forgot the fact that you are not being forced to return immediately. All they stated was to return to naija to work for 3 years which is not difficult for me cos I dont plan to die in the USA.. All I need is gather enough knowledge in USA through schooling and working as long as I wish and return to Nigeria to be a director at a very good agency like NITDA and serve for as long as I can which would surely be more than three years

Are you sure of this? Most people who get similar scholarships are always told to come back and work immediately after schooling, usually for 2 years. The only exception is if you are willing to pay back whatever amount they spent on you with interest. This may be different for NITDA sha.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
eedrism: @BIGFRANCIS AND IMPERIOUS say sumtin..i have paid another visa fee now and no dates in Lagos yet....have been denied 3times now,am going for the 4th time.....u guys should HELP ME OUT....What u tink i rili need to do....see we are like Brothers help me out sad...it getting sad too much....Getting Delayed aiint Good...now am planing to use an agent to get a date now,and i will go to the embassy with my MuM and see what happens again...am not saying they Grant Visa when they see my Mum....But The confidence will be there am sure....House Help out plsssss Help needed smh #SAD

Did you write the SAT and/or TOEFL? What has changed since the last time you went for your interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 02, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 6:43pm On Aug 02, 2013
OjaP:

Are you sure of this? Most people who get similar scholarships are always told to come back and work immediately after schooling, usually for 2 years. The only exception is if you are willing to pay back whatever amount they spent on you with interest. This may be different for NITDA sha.

Not sure though.. Just my thought along the statement in the terms and conditions.. If so, I still dont have problems, would have gotten my green card before i finish my masters and my job is still waiting here as i am going on a study leave pay for 2 years... So, can easy come and invest in Naija for 3 years and go back to USA if i wish...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
dolapobello1: Please I've been posting this since! Please I need help with tuition-free schools for a PhD in Biology. I know there are so many experienced people here. Please help na?? Abeg!

Most schools fund PhD in science related fields. That shouldn't be hard for you to get. Search schools offering PhD program, then check under funding. You should be good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:48pm On Aug 02, 2013
foohard:

Not sure though.. Just my thought along the statement in the terms and conditions.. If so, I still dont have problems, would have gotten my green card before i finish my masters and my job is still waiting here as i am going on a study leave pay for 2 years... So, can easy come and invest in Naija for 3 years and go back to USA if i wish...

How does the scholarship from home country work? Is it finish and return home or have grace of working abroad for some years?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by CaptJHMiller: 6:48pm On Aug 02, 2013
Please guys an average but good school, that isn't to expensive, say the ones that most peeps on this thread apply to is between what range of ranking please? Thanks..

Ps.. I'll go through the entire thread I just need this info sharply that's why.. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 6:49pm On Aug 02, 2013

Hmn.. I pray going with your mum can change the situation as hoped. However, truth be told, you are being naive about the whole thing.. I understand how you feel and people in the house have advised you to chill and identify the loopholes in your previous denials.. I beg you in the name of GOD, dont ruin your chances of getting this VISA in the future.

Kindly reply to Ojap,i'm sure you have not fix the SAT issue. Consequently, nothing has changed in the previous data you provided to the embassy... Just like Imperoux said... It is risky
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
Please guys an average but good school, that isn't to expensive, say the ones that most peeps on this thread apply to is between what range of ranking please? Thanks..

Ps.. I'll go through the entire thread I just need this info sharply that's why.. Thanks.

??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 6:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
Fact.....so bro what do you think i should do first then?? what kind of changes should i make as at now then Havent got date yet Thoo..

imperiouxx:

Since you believe your mom by your side will make a big difference...... Your faith makes you heal. Get the date and try that but I must tell you that showing there often after many records of denial without any change in your data is risky.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tdalton700: 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
so sorry but just curious... can some one please give me a concrete reason why VIU (Virginia international university ) shouldnt be an option ...And why is an admission from them a no no at the embassy... pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
foohard:

@ bolded : You get mouth sir. If you can get a high paying job, you can pay them back the money...shouldn't be a biggie.

If I were you, I would defer my admission by a semester so you don't spend that much on school. This way, your number will be in line for Adjustment of Status to green card through marriage since your wife started the process already. This shouldn't take more than 3-5 months. You get your 1year work permit within 30-60days. This will allow you to work.

I would then demand a refund of the remaining money from my school since I will be paying in state. The refund will then be put into good use by investing. So many ways to go about this. Plan well bro.

Good luck!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
I WROTE BOTH SAT AND TOEFL.......MY SAT RESULT DIDNT SHOW ONLINE TILL NOW,BUT I STILL HAVE MY SAT EXAM TICKET,BUT I HAVE MY TOEFL RESULT...BUT A VERY LOW SCORE....BECAUSE I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR IT ATALL...Nothing have changed i think...But i think i have lost because of LACK of confidence....i RUIN my last interview myself...if you have read my last post about my interview bro....But i still wish to have the best out of this INTERVIEW I WILL BE GOING FOR SOON....HAVE NOT BOOKED A DATE YET THO

OjaP:

Did you write the SAT and/or TOEFL? What has changed since the last time you went for your interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
eedrism: Fact.....so bro what do you think i should do first then?? what kind of changes should i make as at now then Havent got date yet Thoo..

I've stopped reading visa interview experience since last Dec. I only come to give shayo smileys or to check if anything is directed to imperiouxx. I don't know what's in your previous interviews but heard you don't have SAT. Work on this.

Moreover, since you've been there many times and still the same story, why not improve in your education by getting admission in Nigeria. You'll be around 22-23 yrs old by the time you get done with that. Then apply for MS in your dream place.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 6:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
@Foohard.....i did both SAT AND TOELF....BUT MY SAT RESULT DIDNT SHOW ONLINE BUT I STILL HAVE MY SAT EXAM TICKET,BUT I HAVE MY TOEFL RESULT BUT SCORE IS LOW because I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE EXAM WHEN I TOOK IT...ANYWAY ANY HELP U ALL THINK U CAN RENDER OR WHAT I SHOULD DO.

foohard:

Hmn.. I pray going with your mum can change the situation as hoped. However, truth be told, you are being naive about the whole thing.. I understand how you feel and people in the house have advised you to chill and identify the loopholes in your previous denials.. I beg you in the name of GOD, dont ruin your chances of getting this VISA in the future.

Kindly reply to Ojap,i'm sure you have not fix the SAT issue. Consequently, nothing has changed in the previous data you provided to the embassy... Just like Imperoux said... It is risky
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 7:00pm On Aug 02, 2013
imperiouxx:

How does the scholarship from home country work? Is it finish and return home or have grace of working abroad for some years?

Ordinarily, if any government of developing country offer scholarship, the beneficiaries are expected to impact the economy with whatever they might have learned in the program they sponsored. So, it is suppose to be return home immediately after schooling where things work.

Conversely, In Nigeria, the sponsor agency will even state it clearly that they do not guaranty the scholars any job on return. So, what is the scholar expected to come and do in the country? Logically, I believe working oversees would make a better CV for you in your home country meaning when you eventually return, you can get at least job in private firms.

I work for government and I know of some people that were sponsored for 7 years bachelors + master in any part of the world (mostly northerners) and the sponsor agency does not even have the records of the beneficiaries...

Think and reflect to the above, I'm sure you wont blame any scholar that choose to work oversees and so as the agency wont blame them
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:01pm On Aug 02, 2013
tdalton700: so sorry but just curious... can some one please give me a concrete reason why VIU (Virginia international university ) shouldnt be an option ...And why is an admission from them a no no at the embassy... pls

Since you're curious to know, I would have loved to search through the whole thread and get you many links of previous results of VIU.

They are all [size=18pt]BAD!!![/size]

Na home lost the school be
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eedrism: 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2013
Thanks much i rili appreciate it...am just 19 now aniway.....Maybe that is what i will do then...because am so tired of this everyday denial with unknown reasons.

imperiouxx:

I've stopped reading visa interview experience since last Dec. I only come to give shayo smileys or to check if anything is directed to imperiouxx. I don't know what's in your previous interviews but heard you don't have SAT. Work on this.

Moreover, since you've been there many times and still the same story, why not improve in your education by getting admission in Nigeria. You'll be around 22-23 yrs old by the time you get done with that. Then apply for MS in your dream place.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
imperiouxx:

Most schools fund PhD in science related fields. That shouldn't be hard for you to get. Search schools offering PhD program, then check under funding. You should be good.

Thank you, Imperiouxx. (You nice, jare!)
Please would you happen to know of any reputable ones? I just want a tip from other humans. University websites and rankings often don't tell full stories.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 7:12pm On Aug 02, 2013
OjaP:

@ bolded : You get mouth sir. If you can get a high paying job, you can pay them back the money...shouldn't be a biggie.

If I were you, I would defer my admission by a semester so you don't spend that much on school. This way, your number will be in line for Adjustment of Status to green card through marriage since your wife started the process already. This shouldn't take more than 3-5 months. You get your 1year work permit within 30-60days. This will allow you to work.

I would then demand a refund of the remaining money from my school since I will be paying in state. The refund will then be put into good use by investing. So many ways to go about this. Plan well bro.

Good luck!!

Sounds good, you can throw more light on this and advise further Sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
dolapobello1:

Thank you, Imperiouxx. (You nice, jare!)
Please would you happen to know of any reputable ones? I just want a tip from other humans. University websites and rankings often don't tell full stories.

Those review websites are the only thing we use to know if a school is good or not except the ivy league that everyone knows. Apart from this, all public schools are reputable. A good example of such website is http://www.gradschools.com/ and www.usnews.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
eedrism: @Foohard.....i did both SAT AND TOELF....BUT MY SAT RESULT DIDNT SHOW ONLINE BUT I STILL HAVE MY SAT EXAM TICKET,BUT I HAVE MY TOEFL RESULT BUT SCORE IS LOW because I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE EXAM WHEN I TOOK IT...ANYWAY ANY HELP U ALL THINK U CAN RENDER OR WHAT I SHOULD DO.

I know you did SAT and that your result didnt show up plus all comment and suggestions given to you by the house. Can remember Bigfrancis told you not to go with the slip and stuff..
my point is, you should fix that by writing another SAT and an awesome TOEFL score as against the one you have presently.. Then going to meet VOs would make a lot of sense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.